Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That is very sad.

Also I can't believe I only just realized that "Chaosium" is spoken to rhyme with "colosseum".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Very sad news. He was an important voice in RPGs, particularly for reading from sources outside the "geek canon" of the early days.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I've never read his stuff, but I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him. We're definitely less without as strong a voice as his though. :smith:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pendragon was one of those games that caught my attention before I actually got into gaming. MERP wound up being my gateway drug, but I got in a few Pendragon games over the course of high school. It's sad that someone who appears to have been genuinely kind and passionate without a lot of auteur baggage or sex pestery is gone. I'm glad his story at least gets to end "painlessly in his sweat lodge, presumably on a vision quest because he was an actual literal shaman." What a life.

Chaosium's announcement is marred only a little by using a quote of John Wick being a smug dick to people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
drat, that's awful to hear. At least sounds like he went out like a true king nerd, and I mean that without insult.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

RIP Stafford.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
We've got his games to remember him by. :smith:

And there are plenty worse ways to go than just... going on a vision quest and never coming back.

RIP Stafford. We are genuinely lesser without him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This sucks so much. I wished that the success of the Paladin game would bring more Pendragon likes, maybe even one for ROTK...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Aw poo poo, that's awful.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The gang at NuChaosium has put a lot of effort into ancillary merchandise for their games, beyond the usual t-shirts.

Behold the latest - the Dragon Pass/Prax duvet cover!

https://www.redbubble.com/people/chaosium/works/23259317-dragon-pass-and-prax-map-by-darya-makarava?p=duvet-cover&size=king

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Do the Dragonkill War every morning

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My first in-person exposure to Greg was at this panel at gencon. It left an impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hKrVRTOYpY

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

http://johnwickpresents.com/games/the-grey-crane/

People poo poo on this guy a lot in this thread (justifiably), but this is a really good and well-written tribute, I think.

quote:

You go into the God Realm, walk in the footsteps of the hero, and come back transformed. Can you come up with a better metaphor for roleplaying games? No, you can’t. Nobody can. And Greg did it in 1978.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pendragon and Runequest deeply shaped how I consider what makes a good RPG. By all accounts he was a genuinely good guy who had brilliant ideas, and I'm happy he at least was able to go peacefully.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zarick posted:

http://johnwickpresents.com/games/the-grey-crane/

People poo poo on this guy a lot in this thread (justifiably), but this is a really good and well-written tribute, I think.

Nah, it's full of sneering condescension, which I put forward is, in fact, Not Good.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there a TG discord? I could swear someone mentioned one but I can't find the link.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
what have you done

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well now it sounds like I've done something very dumb and bad!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Let's just pre-empt all that by offering up this link to a TG discord.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Its not working here

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh wait here it is https://discord.gg/XjhZhpu

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlphaDog posted:

Is there a TG discord? I could swear someone mentioned one but I can't find the link.
There's this one that goes trough phases of being dead and not, and then there's a bunch by individual posters that are varying levels of dead and/or full of assholes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

There's this one that goes trough phases of being dead and not, and then there's a bunch by individual posters that are varying levels of dead and/or full of assholes.

Ah, just like the forums :3:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

This is the big (~330ish people) and regularly quite active one. There are a number of splinters but I ended up dropping them for inactivity myself, so I can't say whether they've picked up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reene posted:

This is the big (~330ish people) and regularly quite active one. There are a number of splinters but I ended up dropping them for inactivity myself, so I can't say whether they've picked up.

This one doesn't work either, think it's expired.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you can also post about board games, fighting games, and anime here https://discord.gg/DWnexP3

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It works for people who aren't banned.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
well that doesn't sound right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reene posted:

It works for people who aren't banned.

*Said by man with Groucho glasses and a Pee Wee Herman voice* Well then someone should fix that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Its not working here

Plutonis posted:

This one doesn't work either, think it's expired.
Plutonis? Being disingenuous? I never.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Potatocubed, I just remembered that I propositioned you for a design job forever ago. Finally replied. Sorry about being a flake. If you ain't available anymore, that's cool, but just wanted to let you know I replied.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

you can also post about board games, fighting games, and anime here https://discord.gg/DWnexP3

Empirically, I have to conclude that this is probably the best one, as it has a significant number of users and I can randomly type multiple posters' usernames into the search bar without getting hundreds of hits of poo poo-talking that whine about how bad they or why Ettin is horrible for not permabanning them. I will still not post there because I am not into board games, but it does seem more chill and less weird, overall.

For the record, Arivia has an incredibly high score in terms of angry off-forum rants related to her, even more than Plutonis, Jeffrey of YOSPOS, and several others including me, combined.

Which is impressive, yet also, strange.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tell us more about your little black book of other peoples grudges.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Plutonis? Being disingenuous? I never.

I don't believe that's the case. Maybe you should assume better of people.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Bedlamdan posted:

Empirically, I have to conclude that this is probably the best one, as it has a significant number of users and I can randomly type multiple posters' usernames into the search bar without getting hundreds of hits of poo poo-talking that whine about how bad they or why Ettin is horrible for not permabanning them. I will still not post there because I am not into board games, but it does seem more chill and less weird, overall.

For the record, Arivia has an incredibly high score in terms of angry off-forum rants related to her, even more than Plutonis, Jeffrey of YOSPOS, and several others including me, combined.

This post is in-depth, yet also, bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

I kind of want to know what people complain about me for all the time

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Cassa posted:

Tell us more about your little black book of other peoples grudges.

I typed names into a search bar and saw how many hits they got, then glanced further to see in what context and how often. It took about thirty minutes so don't expect bar graphs or a pie chart on this.

Discord is unique because it logs literally everything, for better or for worse, and makes all that info easily accessible. Overall when shopping for and comparing different discords, I think it's just better to find one that focuses on the things they like than the people they hate. Which is why I find myself spending less and less time in a lot of places I used to, to be honest.

Arivia posted:

I kind of want to know what people complain about me for all the time

It often revolves around either what goes on in the D&D 5E thread or whatever drama you had going on with FuegoFish.

Also someone says you are a TERF but I do not feel that is fair or even accurate, to be entirely honest.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
you two were banned from the 5e thread right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sion posted:

you two were banned from the 5e thread right?

No?

Also lol at calling me of all people a TERF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Arivia posted:

No?

Also lol at calling me of all people a TERF

the gently caress? :psyduck: