Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Could you actually finish the original Dune rts? I remember getting to the last(?) level and facing three bases and getting nuked every few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I never played Renegade because it died so fast.

Also Australian Politics is literally so dire right now I would rather worship Kane.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Could you actually finish the original Dune rts? I remember getting to the last(?) level and facing three bases and getting nuked every few minutes.

Yeah. It's possible, just a huge pain in the arse

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

Also Australian Politics is literally so dire right now I would rather worship Kane.

say what you will about the tenents of the Brotherhood of Nod, at least it's an ethos!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I never got to play Dune 2 and now I can?!*

*Probably not unless I trade sleep for gaming and gently caress that

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I always crack out Renegade for LANs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I played the free or beta or something version of Renegade with just the one map to death, like an adult, and when I finally got the full game the MP had died so I finished the SP campaign instead, good times.

Anidav posted:

C&C:TD is good
C&C RA1 is average
C&C:TS is excellent
C&C RA2 is excellent
EA GAMES PRESENT C&C3 is good
EA GAMES PRESENTS Red Alert 3 is bad
EA GAMES PRESENTS C&C4 is very bad
Hope this helps.

This is correct. Also Generals was good, and the secret Dinosaur and Giant Ant campaigns in Covert Operations and Counterstrike were pulpy fun.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

lol if you can sleep in this nightmare reality

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

I played Renegade for a good 18 months, don't know what you're talking about.

That game is my top favourite game ever.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Don Dongington posted:

Dune II is the very original RTS game. Dune 2000 is a remake though, just based on the C&C engine.

I 'worked' on a Renegade mod for like 5 years, turning it into Red Alert units and bases and maps. Fun times. It kinda exists now but hasn't really been updated in years since we 'finished' it and it is an entirely different staff now.. A few goons were on the staff team too.

People still play renegade. Renegade X was also made but it never got super popular, also made the mistake of remaking the limitations of Renegade on the unreal engine... so it looks nice but is sorta pointless in a sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always had a soft spot for games that show the setting of an established franchise from a different genre's perspective. Tales from the Borderlands is apparently one of the most well-liked Telltale games, and that might be part of the reason why.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I like the sound of this turnbull fellow...

https://twitter.com/alexbhturnbull/status/1050913837610749952?s=19

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
He should definitely be placed towards the latter end of the guillotine schedule. Unlike his father.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Alex is the public paragon of inner city greens voting.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Wait so we've gone from the religious freedom report almost certainly spelling certain doom for LGBTIQA+ people in religious institutions to the report actually observing that there is, in all likelihood, TOO much religious freedom in this country, to the detriment of LGBTIQA+ people, as well as non-Christian people's and as such we need to introduce better protections?

Did I sleep through a term?

Move fast, break things.

hawaiian_robot posted:

From a couple of days ago, but:

Yeah my dad is in the CEC. I think i've talked about it a few times in the past, but they'll have some occasionally reasonable things interspersed with poo poo like "THE ASHKENAZI JEWS ARE BEHIND EVERYTHING" or "PRINCE PHILIP WANTS TO REDUCE THE WORLD POPULATION TO ONE BILLION AND REINSTITUTE FEUDALISM"

My ex GFs dad released a fiction book about reducing the population to one billion by a murderous conspiracy this week.
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/DukeLathem?ref_...ingawful.com%2F

You first.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Anyone who spruiks population control or mass murder as the only viable solution to the Earth's woes should definitely be the first to volunteer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone needs to invent an epstein drive

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Anyone who spruiks population control or mass murder as the only viable solution to the Earth's woes should definitely be the first to volunteer.

If you can guarantee that 5.9 billion people are right behind me I'll walk into the industrial thresher.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voting undermines the will of the people – it's time to replace it with sortition

Our representative form of government divides us but installing ordinary people at the heart of power would be transformative

Tim Dunlop

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/14/voting-undermines-the-will-of-the-people-its-time-to-replace-it-with-sortition

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Mathias Cormann has said the Coalition is “absolutely united” in its plan to amend discrimination laws to ensure that students at religious schools cannot be expelled on the basis of their sexuality, as the government struggles to deal with leaked segments of its religious freedoms report before the Wentworth byelection.

quote:

Speaking to the ABC’s Insiders program, Cormann said the party was united on the issue, despite his cabinet colleague, Alex Hawke, telling Sky News earlier in the week religious schools should “absolutely” have the right to discriminate against LGBTI students.

:thunk:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bowmore posted:

Someone needs to invent an epstein drive

then turn it around and slam it into the earth

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unity means something different to brain dead bootstrappers.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lid posted:

Voting undermines the will of the people – it's time to replace it with sortition

Our representative form of government divides us but installing ordinary people at the heart of power would be transformative

Tim Dunlop

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/14/voting-undermines-the-will-of-the-people-its-time-to-replace-it-with-sortition

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

quote:

The lessons we learn from these experiences with deliberative democracy is that extending them into a more formal and permanent part of our governing process is worth thinking about seriously, and any claims that such a concept could never work because ordinary people are disengaged or apathetic should be treated with the contempt that these examples suggest they deserve.

If we are really serious about bottom-up reform of our democratic institutions, then reforming the seat of government itself in this way, a way that installs ordinary people at the heart of power, is essential. Our neoliberal economy and the representative form of government that dominates our societies do everything they can to divide us from and pit us against each other. A People’s House transcends these divisions and brings us together. The basic concept of sortition is pretty straight-forward, and introducing it as a replacement for voting in, say, the Australian Senate, while leaving that body’s other powers intact, represents, at least administratively, fairly minimalist change. But on every other level, the potential effect is explosive. In one fell swoop, you diminish the power of the parties and that of many of the lobbyists who exist to influence their decisions. You transform the way in which the media covers politics. You hand control of at least part of the legislative process to a genuinely representative sample of the population as whole, rather than vesting it in a bunch of elites and their representatives. You empower people in a way that the current system could never hope to do, and you reconnect our chief democratic institution with the life in common.

Nothing is going to change until the main source of power in our society, our seat of government, is populated by people who are genuinely representative of the society at large. We have been taught forever that the way to do that is by voting, but that is simply wrong, and the quicker we unlearn it the better, no matter how counterintuitive it might seem at first. If you want a truly representative government of, by and for the people, then you need to choose it not by voting, but by sortition.

Now, that is power.
He doesn't say in the article how the sortition would diminish the power of lobbyists or transform the way the media covers politics. Brexit comes to mind. It wasn't even a sample of the population that decided that one. Why would the media suddenly begin acting in the interests of Australians? The sortition'd just assure half the new chamber would vote however Seven and News Corp wanted them to

Maybe the real issue behind the wealthy elites controlling government, is the system where all the wealth and power is concentrated in people who've no interest in the welfare of regular people

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for September:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

bandaid.friend posted:

He doesn't say in the article how the sortition would diminish the power of lobbyists or transform the way the media covers politics. Brexit comes to mind. It wasn't even a sample of the population that decided that one. Why would the media suddenly begin acting in the interests of Australians? The sortition'd just assure half the new chamber would vote however Seven and News Corp wanted them to

Maybe the real issue behind the wealthy elites controlling government, is the system where all the wealth and power is concentrated in people who've no interest in the welfare of regular people

The real issue is politicians are now people who follow it as c areer straight from university politics clubs rather than people of substance who go into politics for an ethos. This is why "straight shooters" from right wing groups appeal to some, because they arent part of the machine.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

LNP SELL JOB COOL DAY

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
save men

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Must Scott?

There is.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ban bikes, Tom

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
racist
Public
Guy

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Remember racist Joe Public

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Remember Joe Racist.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Guy Nazis white

Yes, yes they are.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ban bikes tom.

I concur.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ABC!? Ah, PC.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Don Dongington posted:

I volunteer to mass murder six billion people.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still think a Thanos finger snap would do the world a lot of good

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bowmore posted:

wow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bowmore posted:

you just want to impress skinny goth girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you just want to impress skinny goth girls

Any high school clique that wants to dismantle capitalism or *flips fringe* whatever is a friend of Auspol.

• Locked thread