Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Question Friend posted:

What country has the greatest percentage of its population with the same name? Something like John, Nguyen, Mohammed, etc

It would be somewhere like one of the 'Stans around the Caucasus, where it seems like most men have some version of Mohammed in their name. Magomed, Mahmout, Mahmoud, Mohammed, Mahomed, etc etc.

There's an MMA fighter from Dagestan whose name is Magomed Magomedov, which totally counts for two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Question Friend posted:

What country has the greatest percentage of its population with the same name? Something like John, Nguyen, Mohammed, etc

Korea only has a few hundred surnames in use, and half of the population are called Kim, Lee or Pak

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Question Friend posted:

https://www.bhutanpelyabtours.com/bhutanese-personal-names/

Bhutan only has <100 names and you can use them as a first name or a surname or your only name.

and they aren't gender-specific either.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Question Friend posted:

About 38% of Vietnamese people have the surname Nguyen. That seems like a contender.
Smith is pretty common in lots of English speaking countries like the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US but it’s hard to find combined figures for worldwide distribution rather than by country.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I use Snagit at work and really like it. What's a free alternative with similar functionality (easy to edit, crop, add text/boxes/lines to screenshots on the fly) that someone with hands on experience can recommend?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Bramble posted:

I use Snagit at work and really like it. What's a free alternative with similar functionality (easy to edit, crop, add text/boxes/lines to screenshots on the fly) that someone with hands on experience can recommend?

Greenshot is pretty neat. http://getgreenshot.org/

Press print screen button, select the area you want to capture and you can either copy direct to clipboard or open in editor and add notation, crop, etc.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

The Bramble posted:

I use ShareX for this: https://getsharex.com

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How can I find the artist who did the stickers for the 7-Eleven iMessage app? They’re so good and I want more like that!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Found this thread on reddit, with this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/9nhbhu/quick_warning_to_any_single_women_looking_to_cut/

quote:

In my country, if the woman is engaging in sexual relations and isn't paying rent, she is entitled to spousal benefits including half his wealth, if this type of relationship continues for 6 months or more. If the woman pays her share of rent and does not engage in any sexual activities with the co-tenant she's clearly a tenant. I like this law. Gives women power.

genuinely curious if anyone knows what country that is

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Thank you for the software suggestions!

Alan Smithee posted:

Found this thread on reddit, with this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/9nhbhu/quick_warning_to_any_single_women_looking_to_cut/

genuinely curious if anyone knows what country that is

Sounds like someone with a really simplistic grasp of a 'common law' marriage. Most of the British Commonwealth countries have common law marriages for cohabitating couples that aren't formally married. Even a few US states too, i believe.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Bramble posted:

Sounds like someone with a really simplistic grasp of a 'common law' marriage. Most of the British Commonwealth countries have common law marriages for cohabitating couples that aren't formally married. Even a few US states too, i believe.

Those are going away, I think. PA used to have one but it hasn't been on the books for years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The whole point of the common law marriage is that there wasn't law on the books. Instead it was the millennium old principle that if you acted married to another person for "long enough" to the surrounding public, you were legally married without filing government paperwork or church intervention.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bramble posted:

There used to be a weird rule in Australia where if you were sharing a house with someone of the opposite sex and being paid by Centrelink you'd have to both sign a form saying you weren't a couple, because otherwise the only reasonable assumption was that you were trying to scam two single payments instead of one joint payment. Since gay couple couldn't get married they also couldn't be in common-law marriages so same-sex housemates didn't have to make the same declaration. I don't know if that's changed since same-sex marriage has been allowed though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What?? I don't know about Centrelink but same sex couples were recognised as de facto couples for many many years before they could get legally married.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

What?? I don't know about Centrelink but same sex couples were recognised as de facto couples for many many years before they could get legally married.

Well, I know this will come as a shock to everyone, but I guess someone at Centrelink gave me incorrect information. First time for everything, I guess. :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Well, I know this will come as a shock to everyone, but I guess someone at Centrelink gave me incorrect information. First time for everything, I guess. :shrug:

Or, and I know this will blow your mind and that of every other Australian reading, or it's possible that the person at Centrelink didn't know their arse from their elbow.

Or or, it's entirely possible that Centrelink didn't update their policy until several decades after the rest of the world.

For non-Australian readers, Centrelink are the government body here responsible for welfare payments and are woefully inept at basically everything.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I thought Centrelink was the name of an estate agent/realtor and was thoroughly confused.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Memento posted:

Or, and I know this will blow your mind and that of every other Australian reading, or it's possible that the person at Centrelink didn't know their arse from their elbow.

I know it's Tiggum, but I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic and implying exactly this.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

When my partner and I first applied for our Australian visas over 6 years ago it recognised us as de facto partners and I definitely remember the explanation for a de facto couple included same sex relationships too.
However you have to provide evidence to prove that you are a couple (shared finances, photos, statements from friends and family etc) and that could be a problem for some sane sex couples if they live in a country where it’s illegal or dangerous to be openly gay.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

i'm part of an insane sex couple myself

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I know it's Tiggum, but I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic and implying exactly this.

Yeah, you can ask the same question of three different Centrelink employees and get five different answers. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out that the explanation I was given for why I needed to fill out the form was wrong, that I actually didn't need to fill out the form at all, or that that form was supposed to have been phased out thirty years previously.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

1 July 2009 for Social Security payments.

E: :Looking at their post history, the person making the claim about spousal benefits after six months claims to be Australian elsewhere, so I'd go with "idiot who doesn't know the law as well as they think they do."

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 13, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking to move my family away from SMS because it's just awful. I'm considering Allo, Telegram, or Signal (staying away from Facebook). What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of these three? My understanding is that Signal is probably the best from a security standpoint, but that's not a huge concern. Both Android and iOS devices need to be supported.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Are there any good resources online anywhere, or even threads here on the forum concerning being a step dad and how to deal with the bio dad?
Like, like, honest tips and advice about how to deal with a bio dad who's a good guy, present in his kids lives and all but who's not having an easy time dealing with his ex moving on?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

I'm looking to move my family away from SMS because it's just awful. I'm considering Allo, Telegram, or Signal (staying away from Facebook). What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of these three? My understanding is that Signal is probably the best from a security standpoint, but that's not a huge concern. Both Android and iOS devices need to be supported.

You didn’t mention it, but from my experience in the US and abroad, WhatsApp is the defacto replacement for SMS.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kedo posted:

You didn’t mention it, but from my experience in the US and abroad, WhatsApp is the defacto replacement for SMS.

It's also owned by Facebook so

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My experience with Allo is that my brother sent me all of it's most horrifying emotes and then I uninstalled it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Allo is discontinued.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Ah, well :shrug:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Android messages is the new hotness.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Why is that a Bad Thing?

If for moral reasons, then fine.

If for privacy concerns, all your messages are encrypted end to end so Zuckerberg won't know about your barbeque plans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hooah posted:

Signal, definitely. By far the best security of any such app, but everything still Just Works exactly the way you'd expect it to. The encrypted voice and video calls also work really well, at least if both parties have a nice stable data connection.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

spog posted:

Why is that a Bad Thing?

If for moral reasons, then fine.

If for privacy concerns, all your messages are encrypted end to end so Zuckerberg won't know about your barbeque plans.

I dunno, ask the OP:

hooah posted:

I'm considering Allo, Telegram, or Signal (staying away from Facebook).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
anybody have experience with shoe inserts to make feet more comfy / body more healthy?

Is it just a placebo?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

anybody have experience with shoe inserts to make feet more comfy / body more healthy?

Is it just a placebo?

For foot comfort, definitely not a placebo. I've liked Superfeet for my flat feet. If you over-/under-pronate inserts or orthotics can help your knees and hips (and possibly back) since they'll give you a more typical base. Otherwise there aren't any health effects that I'm aware of.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I just wore whatever was cheap when previous insoles wore out until a podiatrist looked at my feet because I always got blisters and had hammer toes and a bunion. He recommended green Superfeet for stability and although they cost $50 a pair, they last a year and the weird blisters have stopped! The bunion and toe issues are slowly going away too. See a foot doc if you think your feet may need special care.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Does anybody know where I can buy a shipping box of an odd size? When I search for custom shipping boxes I only find companies that sell shipping boxes with custom graphics or companies that sell boxes by the hundreds. I need two boxes sized 43"x14"x14" or larger.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Super feet are very good. Give them a try

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've decided to up my fiber intake and am hitting 30g like the RDA, but man is it making things weird. I'm on day 3 or 4 and now I can start physically feeling things moving in my intestines and it's not very comfortable. It also causes me to go to the toilet a lot, and takes a while for me to go.

How long until this levels out and my body gets used to the fiber? Cause right now, it's real unpleasant. It's like being constipated, but not, at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
A while back (8 years ago??) there was a thread for juggling and other similar stuff. A quick search didn't pull anything up; does anyone know of an active thread for stuff like that?