Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scudworth posted:

the hosts sound like a morning radio zoo crew

Best description I’ve heard so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
It's good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scudworth posted:

I decided to finally give LPOTL a try due to this thread discussion, about to finish the first Jim Jones ep.
It's very interesting and informative and the hosts sound like a morning radio zoo crew so that's where my expectations are so I can't be too disappointed.

here is a guide to understanding the personalities

Marcus - the smart boring one who grew up on Texas and love bones, he tends to do the most research
Ben - the dumb guy from Wisconsin who tries to moderate things and had a lot of bits on Red Eye on Fox News though thats stopped
Henry - Henry is Henry and has an actual TV and movie acting career.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

exploded mummy posted:

Henry - Henry is Henry and has an actual TV and movie acting career.

Mostly crap then somehow The Wolf of Wall Street

Serf
May 5, 2011

i started listening to lpotl with the men in black episodes and i haven't heard anything actually objectionable. i appreciate the true believer guy. its nice to have someone who finds value in these wild stories

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

i started listening to lpotl with the men in black episodes and i haven't heard anything actually objectionable. i appreciate the true believer guy. its nice to have someone who finds value in these wild stories

There's a lot of older episodes with Henry doing his horrible Chinese accent, though I think he pretty much burned himself out with it after the Aum Shinryko episodes.

Nowadays he'll just do a Charles Ng impersonation if he really wants to go into it instead.

It also isn't really super obvious, but Henry does actually do fairly good impersonations of someone based off of taped interviews and videos, and as weirdly quasi-racist as his Charles Ng impersonation sounds, it actually is what Charles Ng talks like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exploded mummy posted:

There's a lot of older episodes with Henry doing his horrible Chinese accent, though I think he pretty much burned himself out with it after the Aum Shinryko episodes.

Nowadays he'll just do a Charles Ng impersonation if he really wants to go into it instead.

It also isn't really super obvious, but Henry does actually do fairly good impersonations of someone based off of taped interviews and videos, and as weirdly quasi-racist as his Charles Ng impersonation sounds, it actually is what Charles Ng talks like.

yeah, his impersonations/voices arnt that bad and can sound pretty legit sometimes.

Scudworth posted:

I decided to finally give LPOTL a try due to this thread discussion, about to finish the first Jim Jones ep.
It's very interesting and informative and the hosts sound like a morning radio zoo crew so that's where my expectations are so I can't be too disappointed.

the jim jones series is one of their bests. id say get this book too because alot of there stuff is taken from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Jonestown-Jones-Peoples-Temple/dp/1476763828

the one from friday is about the west mephis three and its a multi parter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Henry is actually good at voices, he just probably shouldn't do Ng considering the old running joke was 'Hong Kong Henry' and all.

He did nail the voice though so, points. Slightly racist points, but points.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea Henry is actually good at voices, he just probably shouldn't do Ng considering the old running joke was 'Hong Kong Henry' and all.

He did nail the voice though so, points. Slightly racist points, but points.

he doesn't do the voice much anymore in general.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I have a very strong dislike of ching-chong type schtick for reasons too dull to enumerate. Having said that there's something about Henry's Ng impression (ngpression?) that completely tickles me. This is problematic for an entirely different reason, because Ng is a monster, and there's something downright endearing about how he does the character.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the jim jones series is one of their bests. id say get this book too because alot of there stuff is taken from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Jonestown-Jones-Peoples-Temple/dp/1476763828

I got the book because of the ep. I'm about half way through it, fascinating read.

DangerDummy! posted:

I have a very strong dislike of ching-chong type schtick for reasons too dull to enumerate. Having said that there's something about Henry's Ng impression (ngpression?) that completely tickles me. This is problematic for an entirely different reason, because Ng is a monster, and there's something downright endearing about how he does the character.

I think it's the twinge of Eric Cartman in the voice that does it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 8, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I got the book because of the ep. I'm about half way through it, fascinating read.

I think it's the twinge of Eric Cartman in the voice that does it.

yeah, he goes full cartman for the jerry brudos episodes.

since your reading the book and the podcasts. where do you think it all went wrong. I think he always had it in him but the drugs and his general dickheadedness /stress finally cracked him. he had to keep to many lies going at once as well his "i have to control everything" and that just hosed him. and it sucks because he could have been a great dude, he did great poo poo in indiana and other places.

I am honestly surprised the dollop hasn't done an episode on jim jones yet.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, he goes full cartman for the jerry brudos episodes.

since your reading the book and the podcasts. where do you think it all went wrong. I think he always had it in him but the drugs and his general dickheadedness /stress finally cracked him. he had to keep to many lies going at once as well his "i have to control everything" and that just hosed him. and it sucks because he could have been a great dude, he did great poo poo in indiana and other places.

it means casting Diane Feinstein in a positive light, so I'm not really surprised

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

it means casting Diane Feinstein in a positive light, so I'm not really surprised

only barely. she lost in the primary to the person they backed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

only barely. she lost in the primary to the person they backed.

The real answer is that at the end of it, you're left punching at a tragedy that claimed 900 lives without a way to deflect to a larger societal problem. It just wouldn't be funny.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

The real answer is that at the end of it, you're left punching at a tragedy that claimed 900 lives without a way to deflect to a larger societal problem. It just wouldn't be funny.

Yeah, it's probably this. Keep in mind that pre 9/11 this was THE biggest loss of civilian American life in a single deliberate act.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think he was mostly sincere in wanting to help people (yes, the Hitler thing as a youth was weird but a lot of kids outgrow that stuff. Heck, when I was a kid I'd watch the Batman TV show always hoping Batman would get horribly murdered in those death traps and would loudly claim Draco Malfoy was the best Harry Potter character) until he visited Father Divine and decided he wanted the sort of power and riches he got from his followers for himself. Add the drugs and the aforementioned control freak tendencies and you have yourself a recipe for tragedy.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 8, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, it's probably this. Keep in mind that pre 9/11 this was THE biggest loss of civilian American life in a single deliberate act.

I think he was mostly sincere in wanting to help people (yes, the Hitler thing as a youth was weird but a lot of kids outgrow that stuff. Heck, when I was a kid I'd watch the Batman TV show always hoping Batman would get horribly murdered in those death traps and would loudly claim Draco Malfoy was the best Harry Potter character) until he visited Father Divine and decided he wanted the sort of power and riches he got from his followers for himself. Add the drugs and the aforementioned control freak tendencies and you have yourself a recipe for tragedy.

thats a pretty good point. i think the Brazil trip failure hosed him up as well as indiana slowly coming undone. the drugs and the personality hosed him up and he starts believing his own "god hood poo poo".

exploded mummy posted:

they have had plenty of episodes that wern't humor filled. like the Ferguson one. like i sorta agree, but i think they could pull it off.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I thought they did.
But I guess I'm thinking of another cult?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they have had plenty of episodes that wern't humor filled. like the Ferguson one. like i sorta agree, but i think they could pull it off.

yes they did that one episode over 300 episodes ago when they were still working on the format

there really aren't many more than just that one

mrfart posted:

I thought they did.

Nah, never done Jonestown and Dave's always been apprehensive over it.

The only time Dave touches cults or small sects tend to be the crazier or more ineffectual ones, or ones that have been wronged by government action.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Dave's smart to avoid the heavy poo poo as a major focus with how the show is now. There's no real value judgement there it's just people don't listen to a pretty comic focused history show to get 'and now a very special talk about Jonestown and it's horrors'.

If you want a 'weird poo poo' podcast that can do serious and funny well I'd suggest Blurry Pictures, they're pretty well conspiracy/cryptid focused but they handle things fairly well when it gets 'real'. I just listened to their Morgellons episode and they had a very serious tone of 'listen, this is not a thing, BUT these people for the most part are sick with SOMETHING mental or physical or both and for the most part they're being scammed by hucksters and that's horrible so gently caress the crystal woo crowd who prey on them' despite having other shows where they just cackle at 'Christmas monsters around the world' and all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mrfart posted:

I thought they did.

You're probably thinking of their recent Synanon ep. Dave mentioned that the rapid response in shutting down Synanon once they started trying to kill people with rattlesnakes was due to Jonestown still being fresh in everyone's minds and the feds didn't want a repeat of that.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there anything similar to The Dollop out there? I like learning about history by people who like to laugh.

E: listening to LPOTL now and they totally sound like morning radio hosts...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AceOfFlames posted:

You're probably thinking of their recent Synanon ep.

There was also the one about John Africa/MOVE.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Do Go On is an Australian podcast with a format fairly similar to The Dollop's. The main difference is that they don't focus on historical horror stories and will do a story on just about whatever.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

One of the early eps was the rajneesh cult too. I'm hoping they do a united fruit/chiquita ep some time though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

AceOfFlames posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats a pretty good point. i think the Brazil trip failure hosed him up as well as indiana slowly coming undone. the drugs and the personality hosed him up and he starts believing his own "god hood poo poo".

Some notes about this.

Jones was holding White Nights (the poison-drinking drills) well before the move to Guyana, and there are multiple accounts of him using his stature amidst the Temple to get people in bed with him, men and women. People would talk about having been hosed by him during sermons, as a kind of call-response. Sermons got more and more freakish and absurd even during the stint in Ukiah. Jones was not "a good guy" before that, the Hitler Youth dabbling wasn't an accident, and you can point all the way back to the pet funerals to get a sense of that. Honestly, I'd tell anyone who might even vaguely believe he was sincere to read through the dozens of hand-written letters addressed to Jones himself in the FOIA FBI file. Hell, go through the whole report. As dry as it is (and as heavily redacted as it is), if you want to piece together a non-opinion-piece narrative of what all went down, I would highly recommend checking it out. Some, if not all of the Guyana-era letters included are loving chilling, if not downright heartbreaking.

Good people don't have their dreams dashed and turn around to become that aggressively predatory except in comic books (or in the case of what I'd imagine would be a very specific type of head injury). The dude was a flat-out psychopath. He knew exactly how to target an intensely disenfranchised population - which included targeting elders to get them to put all their social security payouts into the Temple's coffers - was able to cloak himself in being a progressive leader, and thanks to time and patience, reaped some incredible rewards. Those targets were beyond vulnerable to someone like Jones, and I find it incredibly hard to believe that this escaped his notice, or that failure in Indiana had anything to do with things going south. They were already on their way there.

Mind, the Temple did a lot of good when it was still in San Fran, but it's better to think about all that good as slowly purchasing political capital, and a means of retaining credibility/loyalty amidst his targeted demographic. Guy got way too high on his own power, and probably wasn't finding sufficient stimuli in it every time he reached a new benchmark. When they got to Guyana, that stimulus wore off, at which point he ratcheted it up with actual drugs, and would be up for hours talking nonsense over the PA. Commence falling completely off the deep end, and the ultimate display of power over people that had barely had anything to eat, and barely had any actual sleep for days on end.

It went wrong a lot earlier than Guyana. A lot earlier.

EDIT: Just go pick through this site, there's a ton of things in there that flesh out the whole miserable story, largely through the eyes of people who were there, at least one or two of whom were there for the Flavor-Aid finale and snapped out of it for long enough to run like hell.

Side note, I think it's cool that Jackie Speier has Leo Ryan's seat now.

EDIT: wording.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 9, 2018

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

AceOfFlames posted:

You're probably thinking of their recent Synanon ep. Dave mentioned that the rapid response in shutting down Synanon once they started trying to kill people with rattlesnakes was due to Jonestown still being fresh in everyone's minds and the feds didn't want a repeat of that.

No, I think they're the only LPOTL episodes I listened to, and in my mind I mixed them up with the dollop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Old Boot posted:

Some notes about this.

Jones was holding White Nights (the poison-drinking drills) well before the move to Guyana, and there are multiple accounts of him using his stature amidst the Temple to get people in bed with him, men and women. People would talk about having been hosed by him during sermons, as a kind of call-response. Sermons got more and more freakish and absurd even during the stint in Ukiah. Jones was not "a good guy" before that, the Hitler Youth dabbling wasn't an accident, and you can point all the way back to the pet funerals to get a sense of that. Honestly, I'd tell anyone who might even vaguely believe he was sincere to read through the dozens of hand-written letters addressed to Jones himself in the FOIA FBI file. Hell, go through the whole report. As dry as it is (and as heavily redacted as it is), if you want to piece together a non-opinion-piece narrative of what all went down, I would highly recommend checking it out. Some, if not all of the Guyana-era letters included are loving chilling, if not downright heartbreaking.

Good people don't have their dreams dashed and turn around to become that aggressively predatory except in comic books (or in the case of what I'd imagine would be a very specific type of head injury). The dude was a flat-out psychopath. He knew exactly how to target an intensely disenfranchised population - which included targeting elders to get them to put all their social security payouts into the Temple's coffers - was able to cloak himself in being a progressive leader, and thanks to time and patience, reaped some incredible rewards. Those targets were beyond vulnerable to someone like Jones, and I find it incredibly hard to believe that this escaped his notice, or that failure in Indiana had anything to do with things going south. They were already on their way there.

Mind, the Temple did a lot of good when it was still in San Fran, but it's better to think about all that good as slowly purchasing political capital, and a means of retaining credibility/loyalty amidst his targeted demographic. Guy got way too high on his own power, and probably wasn't finding sufficient stimuli in it every time he reached a new benchmark. When they got to Guyana, that stimulus wore off, at which point he ratcheted it up with actual drugs, and would be up for hours talking nonsense over the PA. Commence falling completely off the deep end, and the ultimate display of power over people that had barely had anything to eat, and barely had any actual sleep for days on end.

It went wrong a lot earlier than Guyana. A lot earlier.

EDIT: Just go pick through this site, there's a ton of things in there that flesh out the whole miserable story, largely through the eyes of people who were there, at least one or two of whom were there for the Flavor-Aid finale and snapped out of it for long enough to run like hell.

Side note, I think it's cool that Jackie Speier has Leo Ryan's seat now.

EDIT: wording.

yeah. good points. I don't think he was ever a great person or anything, but i guess the better question was when did the mask fully drop and the good deeds stop meaning anything to him.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 9, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

inthesto posted:

Do Go On is an Australian podcast with a format fairly similar to The Dollop's. The main difference is that they don't focus on historical horror stories and will do a story on just about whatever.

Maybe we should make a thread called "Idiots talking about history", if this is a popular format. I mean just looking at the dollop and lpotl, there's probably a lot of listener overlap anyways.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Good episode. Enjoyed the guest; nice having a different sort of voice on.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Got about 15 minutes into the Dollop about the NY Policeman's Riot, and couldn't take any more. Gareth is so aggressively unfunny and Gareth's friend is obviously so drunk that he's somehow worse at comprehension than Gareth. I don't think I can enjoy anything the Dollop does in a live venue.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

berzerkmonkey posted:

Got about 15 minutes into the Dollop about the NY Policeman's Riot, and couldn't take any more. Gareth is so aggressively unfunny and Gareth's friend is obviously so drunk that he's somehow worse at comprehension than Gareth. I don't think I can enjoy anything the Dollop does in a live venue.

That's weird. I've been liking the live episodes more than the studio episodes lately. I like a little bit of crowd interaction, and Dave and Gareth don't have to laugh so hard at everything they say when there's an audience of people who can laugh.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

prefect posted:

That's weird. I've been liking the live episodes more than the studio episodes lately. I like a little bit of crowd interaction, and Dave and Gareth don't have to laugh so hard at everything they say when there's an audience of people who can laugh.

What gets me most is Gareth constantly pushing jokes way past the point where they should be shut down. I'd much rather listen to the "at home" versions because he doesn't have that need to wring every joke dry because he has an audience of one.

This could also be due to me just having listened to too many episodes and it just getting on my nerves because I'm seeing the pattern over and over.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

berzerkmonkey posted:

What gets me most is Gareth constantly pushing jokes way past the point where they should be shut down. I'd much rather listen to the "at home" versions because he doesn't have that need to wring every joke dry because he has an audience of one.

This could also be due to me just having listened to too many episodes and it just getting on my nerves because I'm seeing the pattern over and over.

I'm not gonna disagree with this, but it seems weird to pull Gareth up on this. I feel like Dave is way worse about not letting jokes end while they're still funny.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i like the live episodes because the huge difference in sound quality makes it really easy to skip the ad reads

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The letting jokes drag on is part of :thejoke:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

berzerkmonkey posted:

What gets me most is Gareth constantly pushing jokes way past the point where they should be shut down.

When I first started binging Dollops I completely agreed with that

Not Operator posted:

I feel like Dave is way worse about not letting jokes end while they're still funny.

Now I’m fully in this camp. Dave’s riffing kind of sucks. Also it’s tiresome when he starts acting like he needs to shut down Gary’s schtick by acting like it’s boring. Let the man do his work, dude.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I'd agree that Gareth's joke-pushing on this episode is more annoying than the last few, but you might want to fast forward about half am hour in. Eventually Hill finally stumbles on a joke SO dumb it finally breaks the ice with the crowd, and things are much better afterward.

Not to mention Dave lands some choice lines at the end.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I enjoy the live shows, and I like the drunk guest. I wish every guest was poo poo faced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Live show gave us penguin island, so it can whiff a few for all I care.