Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

Ash-Greninja is called that because it looks vaguely like Ash's X&Y outfit, no fusion involved.

They could have avoided all of this by just calling it Bond-Greninja or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zuzie posted:

Ash-Greninja is called that because it looks vaguely like Ash's X&Y outfit, no fusion involved.
Well, that and it's a super special Totally Not Mega Evolution only he uses because they didn't want to give him an actual mega for whatever reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Greninja from over a hundred years ago that previously had the same power looked exactly the same, so its appearance isn't due to Ash or anything, yeah.

Haifisch posted:

Well, that and it's a super special Totally Not Mega Evolution only he uses because they didn't want to give him an actual mega for whatever reason.

I don't mind that. Giving Ash one of the existing Megas would mean an older Pokemon overshadowing his XY team, and it feels more fitting for one of Ash's team to have a form born from their bond with their trainer than holding onto a special item.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

The Greninja from over a hundred years ago that previously had the same power looked exactly the same, so its appearance isn't due to Ash or anything, yeah.

I don't mind that. Giving Ash one of the existing Megas would mean an older Pokemon overshadowing his XY team, and it feels more fitting for one of Ash's team to have a form born from their bond with their trainer than holding onto a special item.

mega evolution is also supposed to be a form born from the bond between trainer and pokemon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That still requires two rare trinkets to work.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
sure but it's not that different

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Elfgames posted:

mega evolution is also supposed to be a form born from the bond between trainer and pokemon

Exactly. If they had just made it a real Mega, it would work just as well without having to make up a nonsensical legend. It never made sense that the Kalos starters didn’t get Megas, but the most popular of them gets a form that is effectively the same as one just for some shonen cliches in the anime.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I do get why Megas were mostly regaled to older monsters, since its one part catching up to the general power creep Pokémon's been experiencing over the years and another part is popularity as many monsters that received Mega forms were also fan favorites like Lucario or Charizard.

Gen 6 monsters were too new at that point. We still didn't know how they'd function in their base forms so having them get Mega forms wouldn't feel right. Although Diancie is an exception but for it, it makes some sense as its a Mythical (and that would already grant popularity) and its lore kind of ties it to gemstones already, which is what Mega Stones essentially are, alongside being oversized marbles.

Greninja receiving a powered up form makes some sense as it was already the face of Gen 6 by that point (with no small part due to Smash Bros. and its success competitively).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How is it anymore nonsensical than half the stuff that already exists in the Pokemon universe? There's already dozens of different ways that Pokemon can change form, and one being a special kind of Greninja that appears very rarely is suddenly out of the realm of what works?

Elfgames posted:

sure but it's not that different

After the stuff with Pikachu and the Thunderstone, Ash relying on something like that just doesn't fit his character to me. I dunno how else to put it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's a lot of things that I really dislike about ORAS as a remake (and a game on its own), but giving Mega forms to a ridiculous bunch of mons while completely screwing up Flygon with absolutely nothing to show... it's criminal, you guys. It's a travesty!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

How is it anymore nonsensical than half the stuff that already exists in the Pokemon universe? There's already dozens of different ways that Pokemon can change form, and one being a special kind of Greninja that appears very rarely is suddenly out of the realm of what works?

After the stuff with Pikachu and the Thunderstone, Ash relying on something like that just doesn't fit his character to me. I dunno how else to put it.

The Thunderstone s is permanent change that Pikachu very clearly refused. A Mega Stone is a quick, temporary power-up that requires a strong bond that is functionally identical to what we ended up with, but doesn’t require anything the games didn’t already have. Your point about using outside items falls apart when he states using a Z-Ring with no qualms whatsoever later.

Saoshyant posted:

There's a lot of things that I really dislike about ORAS as a remake (and a game on its own), but giving Mega forms to a ridiculous bunch of mons while completely screwing up Flygon with absolutely nothing to show... it's criminal, you guys. It's a travesty!

Beedrill and Pidgeot should not have had priority on Flygon, Tropius, or Swellow.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 13, 2018

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
When will Game Freak give us Slush Rush on a good Pokémon?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Butterfree should have had priority on Beedrill

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Beedrill is objectively the best looking Mega, so I have to say I'm troubled by this discourse

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I just booted up Sun to use the Island Scan, but it says I can't scan any codes-- all the charges are depleted. I know that futzing with the clock affects it (I had changed it about five days ago), but shouldn't it have gone back to normal by now?

E: I played a bit and now they're slowly coming back. Problem solved!

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 13, 2018

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

RatHat posted:

Still mad that Farfetch'd never got a mega evolution, or z-move, or ANYTHING to make it worth using. You'd think Let's Go would be a perfect time for that but I've lost faith at this point.
Well next time I play I'll be taking on the Ultra Moon E4 with a Farfetch'd with First Impression (and Leaf Blade, Quick Attack, a Stick, Defiant and Adamant nature), so there's that.

Pokemon Refresh and the stick making it so every single attack is a crit is helping keep Donald Dunn competitive.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 13, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saoshyant posted:

Flygon.....sucks.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Nodosaur posted:

Beedrill is objectively the best looking Mega, so I have to say I'm troubled by this discourse

Angry Beedrill isn't even in the top 10

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Greninja was popular competitively because of protean. Which Ash Greninja lacks. And you can't breed the ability or transfer it off if I remember correctly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Licarn posted:

Angry Beedrill isn't even in the top 10

You forget yourself sir. I bite my thumb at thee!

quote:

The Thunderstone s is permanent change that Pikachu very clearly refused. A Mega Stone is a quick, temporary power-up that requires a strong bond that is functionally identical to what we ended up with, but doesn’t require anything the games didn’t already have. Your point about using outside items falls apart when he states using a Z-Ring with no qualms whatsoever later.

Z-Rings are something that just powers up a one use attack, not something that provides a more focused battle form. And Ash-Greninja also requires Ash and Greninja to be in sync, which again feels more their style.

But again, Pokemon already has all these different variations on form changes. Why is it so wrong that Ash, who has been one of the major faces of this franchise, and one of his partners have something that's uniquely their own?

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 13, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kurieg posted:

Greninja was popular competitively because of protean. Which Ash Greninja lacks.

Ash-Greninja and Protean Greninja both have exactly the same viability rank (A+) in OU.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nodosaur posted:

You forget yourself sir. I bite my thumb at thee!

The law is against you for saying that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

The law is against you for saying that.

(seriously though, I just wanted to reply in a laid back way so I didn't sound like I wanted to start an argument.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked the part where Rayquaza showed up to eat the remains of the dead Minior

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

for a show so many have written off SuMo has some of the deepest stories in the franchise

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Paul.Power posted:

Well next time I play I'll be taking on the Ultra Moon E4 with a Farfetch'd with First Impression (and Leaf Blade, Quick Attack, a Stick, Defiant and Adamant nature), so there's that.

I was really confused for a minute because I was pretty sure that First Impression was exclusive to Golisopod but it turns out that nope. It's an egg move for Dux. Just gotta Sketch it first.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

for a show so many have written off SuMo has some of the deepest stories in the franchise

The highest highs (Litten, Rockruff) and some spectacularly low lows (Rotom and/or Mallow)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rotom is great, and Mallow gave us the episodes with the Oranguru bartender and Drampa.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Flygon.....sucks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ash-Gren is all the fun of using a mega, but you also get to use an item

And another mega on top of it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That is a weird goddamn Eevee

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Rotom is great, and Mallow gave us the episodes with the Oranguru bartender and Drampa.

That's the problem though - Mallow keeps getting overshadowed by other people in "her" episodes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

huh? I was using those as a descriptor. That first episode had great character animation and let her step out of her usual role of the mature one and let her behave like a kid for once, and the Drampa episode was a very sweet episode about how she and Lana became friends.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Flygon.....sucks.

Flygon should have been bug/dragon like c'mon gamefreak this isn't hard

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Antinomy001/status/1051518506494255104

So this happened on the anime (now airing Sundays)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/Antinomy001/status/1051518506494255104

So this happened on the anime (now airing Sundays)

Yeah, all the way back in Season 1.

E: Didn't realize the last screenshot was from Sun/Moon, nice touch.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 15, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Flygon should have been bug/dragon like c'mon gamefreak this isn't hard

Trapinch and Vibrava should both have been Bug/Ground with Flygon alone having Dragon. But we'd be here all night if we went over what types a Pokemon should have been given.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

huh? I was using those as a descriptor. That first episode had great character animation and let her step out of her usual role of the mature one and let her behave like a kid for once, and the Drampa episode was a very sweet episode about how she and Lana became friends.

What they mean is that there are very, very few Mallow episodes, and she usually ends up sharing the spotlight with someone else in those, if not straight up lose it to someone else. Like, yeah, that Drampa episode owns, but it's her and Lana's adventure, kicked off by Lana's sisters finding the Drampa. Oranguru is one of, like, two episodes that I could call Mallow episodes, and Oranguru was deffo the standout.

That said, SM anime owns, so Mallow being the least used in the ensemble cast is a fine tradeoff.

Something I found out after seeing the Utena reference is that Junichi Fujisaku, of Ghost in the Shell and Blood+ fame, is doing the screenplay for that episode. Dude came into Pokemon starting episode 28 (the baseball one) and has mostly been hitting bangers like Z-Powered Lillie, Blackface Ash, Kids running hte pokemon center, Minior episode, Pikachu vs Mimikyu, Mallow's pokemon evolves, among others. So that's cool, he screenplays really good eps.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Blackface Ash

Come again?