Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Big Spring is just a smaller Midland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
HAHA loving "mean" temperature for people who don't know what statistics are.

"Well yes, it's 127° for 265 days per year, but it's 27° on day in January, so come buy a double-wide for $18k!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That sounds like a nice place to live . Heres someone who agrees

https://youtu.be/hvU10OzGDv4

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

HAHA loving "mean" temperature for people who don't know what statistics are.

"Well yes, it's 127° for 265 days per year, but it's 27° on day in January, so come buy a double-wide for $18k!"

How is that cold

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alexeythegreat posted:

How is that cold

It does actually get down below freezing (mainly at night) and there is somewhat of a winter, but it's a desert shithole so it's just cold, dry, and windy for 2-3 months with no snow ever to speak of.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

How is that cold

It feels colder in an open plain than in a snow-blanketed locale. Things stay nice and toasty in your yurt or igloo or whatever you folks live in.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

How is that cold

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s never “cold” in west texas. There will be a handful of nights that dip below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, but otherwise it doesn’t really ever get cold. It’s dry as gently caress so easily manageable, too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alexeythegreat posted:

How is that cold

110f+ burns away all your ability to hold in heat.
I lived in Minnesota for near a decade and wore a drat hoodie most days and was fine. Same amount of time back in California, and at 50 I start wondering where my down jacket is and if it fits.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don’t think anyone can argue with Russian winters. :godwin:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I saw snow flurries yesterday. It has been in the 30s and 40s since the beginning of October.

“But hey, the summer is too hot and short, the winter is too cold and too long, but at least we get a change of seasons for spring and fall ...” SHUT UP YOU loving STOCKHOLM SYNDROME MINNESOTANS THE WEATHER SUCKS YEAR ROUND!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It does actually get down below freezing (mainly at night) and there is somewhat of a winter, but it's a desert shithole so it's just cold, dry, and windy for 2-3 months with no snow ever to speak of.

never complain about the cold with a Russian or a Canadian in the room, if we were D&D monsters our racial bonus would be +10 to smug superiority about winter

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Also I didn't make partner and I'm genuinely not sure I care

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anywhere where the temperature regularly drops below ~10 degrees F should be deemed uninhabitable and immediately abandoned.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Third time's the charm, I hear.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Anywhere where the temperature regularly drops below ~10 degrees F should be deemed uninhabitable and immediately abandoned.
the cold keeps scorpions, brown recluses, and hideous terrifying man-sized spiders at bay

it's a reasonable trade

Vox Nihili posted:

Third time's the charm, I hear.

lol

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can be my partner :wink:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Soothing Vapors posted:

the cold keeps scorpions, brown recluses, and hideous terrifying man-sized spiders at bay

it's a reasonable trade

lol

Just move to new zealand and have the best of both worlds.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Midland really sucks, because with oil prices booming, hotels are like 300 per night. I have cases there and the state refuses to pay for me to stay. They recommended I "fiigure it out."

Big spring sucks even more though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

it's a reasonable trade

Oh no not gross bugs, glad I'm safe here up in- *gets brutally trampled to death by a 1-ton bull moose*

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh no not gross bugs, glad I'm safe here up in- *gets brutally trampled to death by a 1-ton bull moose*

Or as I like to call them, "dinner".

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Midland really sucks, because with oil prices booming, hotels are like 300 per night. I have cases there and the state refuses to pay for me to stay. They recommended I "fiigure it out."

Now that is some bullshit

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Or as I like to call them, "dinner".

Want to see some Moose steaks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Have you tried the “hotel engine” yet? Also does TX state government not ask hotels to only charge the government rate?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Alright, kinda dark now though. I'll see what I can do.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

State rate in Los Angeles County is $120. In San Luis Obispo County is $90 (I get the same in Bakersfield). Monterey is $125, which is a joke in the busy season. I went there a week ago and had to stay in loving San Jose because loving SALINAS was $350/night because there was some Porsche thing at Laguna Seca.
I have $240 in San Francisco, which is the only remotely reasonable one, but I still had some issues finding something in November.

OTOH, I will be Marriott platinum premier by the end of the year and had so many southwest points until I bought 3 round trip tickets (mexico city, Austin, seattle) this month.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

I’m not even up for partner for a few years and am genuinely debating if it’s worth trying.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If they want to do you dirty like that, take the first flight from Dallas or Houston that AM and fly out on the last flight.

Probably $1,000 round trip I bet.

If you have multi day trials, fly back and forth every day until they pay for a hotel.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I do that all the time. I just did that with Houston today. The problem is there often aren't enough flights in and out of Midland to make it feasible.

Literally I'm better off staying in Abilene and driving in.

Mr. Nice I haven't used hotel engine. I make my own reservations and get reimbursed so long as it's a hotel with a rate that doesn't exceed the government rate for that city/county.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Here you go, here are some high steaks.

In their natural form. That right there is over half a metric ton of good quality meat.

Not bad for a couple of days work.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
How big is the backstrap on one of those things? Like a beef loin?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In their natural form. That right there is over half a metric ton of good quality meat.

Jesus Christ I was eating/sleeping/living as an organic life form.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How big is the backstrap on one of those things? Like a beef loin?

Easily. They are just friggin huge.

Vox Nihili posted:

Jesus Christ I was eating/sleeping/living as an organic life form.

Hey, this is how your meat is made. That's what it looks like before it's neatly wrapped in plastic. I find grinding the meat up into pulp and making nuggets out of the ammonia-bleached mess a lot more disgusting myself.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nice meat, would dig in 9/10

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

As far as kill rooms go, this one looks pretty nice :unsmith:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I had some moose tenderloin the other day I could cut with my fork. It was unbelievably flavorful and tender. Moose meat rules. Its also helpful that they're huge plentiful animals made out of meat too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Moose are insane creatures. They have brains the size of a deer's but have evolved to avoid predators by just being loving massive.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
My coworker decided to accept the offer of around 160k and will be leaving at the end of the month. This will be the fifth person we've lost in the past two years (four to private practice, one to stay at home parent status). At this rate the majority of people in my department will have less than 1.5 years experience going into our busy season and into the state legislature being in session.

I guess I'm going to have to learn to embrace the suck?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

William Munny posted:

My coworker decided to accept the offer of around 160k and will be leaving at the end of the month. This will be the fifth person we've lost in the past two years (four to private practice, one to stay at home parent status). At this rate the majority of people in my department will have less than 1.5 years experience going into our busy season and into the state legislature being in session.

I guess I'm going to have to learn to embrace the suck?

I'm still looking for a job :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Come to Texas Mr Nice. William and I work in the same building. I've been here 4 years and I just got a corner office overlooking UT.