Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I beat Celeste. It was very good. Now I just have megaman 4-6 to beat before new smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

as someone who likes to pause games a lot, dark souls has never caused me problems

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Handsome Wife posted:

If your complaint about Ittle Dew (which I haven't played, fwiw) was that it was derivative, Blossom Tales likely won't excite you. It's a pretty straightforward LttP clone.

As for difficulty, there's some challenging platforming in a couple of places and a couple of the bosses mix it up by essentially being bullet hell shooters, but I'm bad at video games and I found Blossom Tales pretty easy.

Well I don't mind it being a clone of one of the best games ever made but it does have to be original. Like a push the block puzzle or light the torch puzzles can't be blatantly that or should at least give you some challenges to get around. The Blossom Tales video had a good puzzle with torches and spinning fire balls and falling platforms all in one go that made it seem fun. The fact they took the Magic/Stamina meter from LBW was a wonderful decision.

I didn't get far in Ittle Dew, so you can assume it got better, because it was very very simple and I can only hope that it got more complicated as it went on.

The thing about Zelda vs Zelda-likes is that the former, despite repeating themselves over and over again somehow manage to make tried-and-true puzzles and stale activities feel constantly fresh and new. Pushing blocks, lighting torches, hitting switches is super enjoyable in Zelda due to excellent game design. When it's done well, which seems like Blossom Tales does, it's both original while being an homage to Zelda. When done poorly you wonder why are you spending time on these stupidly easy puzzles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zas posted:

as someone who likes to pause games a lot, dark souls has never caused me problems

Yeah the real issue is putting down your controller and accidentally killing an NPC

:negative:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

My favorite part of the souls series is remembering that Shu from sony play tested demon souls and thought it was a broken mess and didn't care for the game. They had to explain that's how the game was supposed to be.

And it turns out you can pause dark souls by putting the switch to sleep.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

My favorite part of the souls series is remembering that Shu from sony play tested demon souls and thought it was a broken mess and didn't care for the game. They had to explain that's how the game was supposed to be.

And it turns out you can pause dark souls by putting the switch to sleep.

Now there's a quick and easy solution.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Ittle Dew's shortcut puzzles and the master dungeon are all trickier than anything in a Zelda game. The amount of ways that all three items you get, especially the portal wand and ice rod, combine and interact is very well done. That said, the game is all about pushing the limits of block pushing puzzles, and there's basically no other puzzles. The easy beginning puzzles and the silly NES Zelda references made it seem amateurish to me at the start but I think it's actually a pretty great game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gaffle posted:

Ittle Dew's shortcut puzzles and the master dungeon are all trickier than anything in a Zelda game. The amount of ways that all three items you get, especially the portal wand and ice rod, combine and interact is very well done. That said, the game is all about pushing the limits of block pushing puzzles, and there's basically no other puzzles. The easy beginning puzzles and the silly NES Zelda references made it seem amateurish to me at the start but I think it's actually a pretty great game.

Maybe worth a revisit. I know it's somewhere buried within my Steam account.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

problem with dark souls 1 is that 3 is insanely better in every respect. 1 is still a good game but when the game goes "oh poo poo you got the thing, now the REAL game begins" thats actually when the game falls down a toilet and dies

its still a very good game though and probably better than anything else on switch bar Bayonetta 2 so ymmv

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

problem with dark souls 1 is that 3 is insanely better in every respect. 1 is still a good game but when the game goes "oh poo poo you got the thing, now the REAL game begins" thats actually when the game falls down a toilet and dies

its still a very good game though and probably better than anything else on switch bar Bayonetta 2 so ymmv

DS3 just felt like a worse Bloodborne imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's no Dark Souls 2 that's for sure.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Was Bloodborne as horribly linear as Dark Souls 3? Also yeah to pause Dark Souls you can just stand there if you aren’t online

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

whaley posted:

Was Bloodborne as horribly linear as Dark Souls 3? Also yeah to pause Dark Souls you can just stand there if you aren’t online

Bloodborne had the occasional optional area but yeah it was a pretty linear experience.

It's also one of the best games ever made

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh I love Dark Souls but Monster Hunter has none of the things I enjoy about it and I find it pretty boring and grindy. You're not guaranteed to like both.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people in the souls community mock Monster Hunter for being a dumb and bad game for babbies and I've seen a lot of people in the monhun community mock Dark Souls for being a dumb and bad game for babbies so it's certainly not a given that you'll enjoy both.

However if you are one of the lucky people who enjoy both (because despite their very different game loops they do have a lot of similarities!) you'll be set for thousands of hours of entertainment with only a couple of games though :kimchi:

Andrast posted:

Bloodborne had the occasional optional area but yeah it was a pretty linear experience.

It's also one of the best games ever made
:yeah:
I just wish the terrible framerate wouldn't give me headaches

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

And Dark Souls 3 was one of the worst games From has made. :thunk:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

And Dark Souls 3 was one of the worst games From has made. :thunk:

It's no Adventures of Cookie & Cream that's for sure

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Andrast posted:

DS3 just felt like a worse Bloodborne imo

BB is better but you can say that for every game

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Your Computer posted:

It's no Dark Souls 2 that's for sure.

In my experience, DS2 has the most replay value by a lot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

BB is better but you can say that for every game

My point is was that DS3 directly felt like an inferior Bloodborne whereas DS1 and DS2 (and Demon's) did their own thing.

I appreciate the other games doing something interesting with the formula a lot which is why I personally rank them higher than DS3.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 13, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Has anybody good gotten a chance to mess around with Starlink yet? I've been thinking about it a lot, and since the new rear end Creed officially sucks I feel like odds are pretty good Starlink doesn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It comes out next week

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

In my experience, DS2 has the most replay value by a lot.

Yeah the full version is insanely big and it definitely has the best build variety.

They're all amazing games

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the full version is insanely big and it definitely has the best build variety.

Agreed :kimchi:

They're my favorite dress-up games.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Al Borland Corpse posted:

It comes out next week

Yeah, I know. I guess it doesn't really matter since im not preordering anyway but ehh :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I had so much fun doing bellbro stuff with increasingly dumb gimmick builds

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

just treat O&S as the final boss and whichever lord soul area bothers you the least as optional post game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

just treat O&S Manus as the final boss and whichever lord soul area bothers you the least as optional post game

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Andrast posted:

I had so much fun doing bellbro stuff with increasingly dumb gimmick builds

That golden period where you have the SM to really go to town with your gimmick build in the bell covenant is the best.

I totally get the whole DS3 is a worse BB thing. It was good, but it places the most restrictions on build variety out of any game in the series. Fantastic environments and surprisingly good AI though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

That golden period where you have the SM to really go to town with your gimmick build in the bell covenant is the best.

I totally get the whole DS3 is a worse BB thing. It was good, but it places the most restrictions on build variety out of any game in the series. Fantastic environments and surprisingly good AI though

Around release your SM didn't even really matter since the playerbase was still so big

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people in the souls community mock Monster Hunter for being a dumb and bad game for babbies and I've seen a lot of people in the monhun community mock Dark Souls for being a dumb and bad game for babbies so it's certainly not a given that you'll enjoy both.

However if you are one of the lucky people who enjoy both (because despite their very different game loops they do have a lot of similarities!) you'll be set for thousands of hours of entertainment with only a couple of games though :kimchi:

:yeah:
I just wish the terrible framerate wouldn't give me headaches

I enjoy both. For different reasons.

I also like jrpgs and fps games. Lol of you cant enjoy different genres.

They share deliberate combat and that's about it. But world was at the height of games 'journalist's calling everything "the dark souls of xxxx"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sweet overcooked 2 got a free new game plus update and paid new levels.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KingSlime posted:

If you enjoy the punishing gameplay loop of monster Hunter I guarantee you'd gobble up dark souls. Both games hit the same notes for me in a very specific way. Don't miss out, whether you play the switch version, console version, original PC release with mods etc.

Just try it out for yourself, even if for just a level or two

Dark Souls doesn't let me be a cat. :catbert:

I did try the demo and it... didn't exactly wow me. I realize the demo probably suffers from the same problem that Monster Hunter demos have where it's actually a poor representation of the rest of the game but... I have plenty of games to play. I'm good. :shrug:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LethalGeek posted:

Does it have some form of an endless mode yet?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Alan_Shore posted:

You could have turned it down, you monster

Undyne has two of the best battle music tracks in the game and if you don't crank the volume you might as well not even play :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Where the gently caress is The Missing?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

SelenicMartian posted:

I'd say it's slightly lacking in appearance.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

Have they added an online campaign mode yet?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SelenicMartian posted:

The e store? It's 30 bucks

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The e store? It's 30 bucks
Not in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So change your country and buy it somewhere else. It's probably cheaper too!