Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

The only character you're supposed to find sympathetic in Fight Club is Bob.

Marla’s way more sympathetic on rewatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Didn't Edward Norton's job involve calculating whether it was more profitable to keep a car with a potentially lethal defect on the market vs recalling it or something as cynical? That's worse than just being boring and feminized.

This talk about single-income households on TV makes me think of Modern Family, where the Dunphys had a nice house in the LA area with three kids with just Phil's income as a realtor, before his wife Claire took over her dad's business. Would that be realistic?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC the problem Tyler identifies in Fight Club is that society has emasculated them, rather than feminized them. I feel like that’s probably an important distinction

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they are both dumb bullshit.

Though he isn’t the good guy so eh.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeeeah that doesn't make it better. So it's all about how George can feel like the big man and Lorraine is just fine with having him around because she wasn't really raped so no trauma!
Also wouldn't the insinuation be that before Marty goes back they were then living next to the man who successfully raped her in highschool?

Maybe it was her idea. Maybe she hates him so much she just wants to see him permanently humiliated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Didn't Edward Norton's job involve calculating whether it was more profitable to keep a car with a potentially lethal defect on the market vs recalling it or something as cynical? That's worse than just being boring and feminized.

This talk about single-income households on TV makes me think of Modern Family, where the Dunphys had a nice house in the LA area with three kids with just Phil's income as a realtor, before his wife Claire took over her dad's business. Would that be realistic?

If he's a good realtor then yes. They can pull down in the millions per year. Figure he sells 2 homes a month with an average value of $550k each and he'd gross $330k in commissions.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Oct 11, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Maybe it was her idea. Maybe she hates him so much she just wants to see him permanently humiliated.

lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gum posted:

e: fight club is a great example of this though. a man has a stable 9-5 job that pays enough to support his hobby of buying furniture he doesnt need and this is a bad thing because it's 'boring'? fuckers had no idea how good they had it

He's a white middle-class man who gets radicalised by terrorist group that promises meaning and purpose, and whose roots are in toxic masculinity.

I think it's aged really well to be honest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frank Grimes points out that Homer has an amazing life by modern standards, but I think the idea is that it isn't as good as it seems on first glance; their house is big but poorly built and/or maintained and falling apart, Homer's boss is awful and probably underpays him, and he has few to no opportunities for advancement given he got the safety inspector job (way back when he started the series he was a waste handler instead) basically as a bribe to shut him up, he's unionised but the union will generally sell out benefits at the drop of a hat, etc. There's even an episode pointing out Homer could have slummed it in an easygoing job at the bowling alley if they hadn't had Maggie. A lot of the future episodes have Homer and Marge's standard of living pretty low in the future, buying the first ever flying car (that scrapes along the ground) and a deeply overrated underwater house.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Grandpa Simpson also sells his house so they could afford the down payment.

Then again they DO have the money to keep him in a retirement home.

On the other hand it IS a retirement home that’s crooked and falling apart.

In conclusion, The Simpsons is a land of contrasts.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Depressio111117 posted:

I'm not sure how much the Simpsons has addressed the retirement/nursing home situation, but I think around here it it's not always up to the family to pay for a retirement home, but the resident or the government. It depends on the situation, but Abe might be doing okay and a retirement community cost might be low enough to be paid for by his social security and pensions. Since he seems free to move about and come and go as he pleases, I think he still owns/drives his own car, I'm guessing he's not in a much more expensive and restricted skilled nursing facility.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Something that aged really well: this entire thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfbPGXcMLM

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not sure how much the Simpsons has addressed the retirement/nursing home situation, but I think around here it it's not always up to the family to pay for a retirement home, but the resident or the government. It depends on the situation, but Abe might be doing okay and a retirement community cost might be low enough to be paid for by his social security and pensions. Since he seems free to move about and come and go as he pleases, I think he still owns/drives his own car, I'm guessing he's not in a much more expensive and restricted skilled nursing facility.

He's also a vet which I think gives him money for basically any medical expenses despite the VA being kind of lovely up to and including nursing home residence.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He's also a vet which I think gives him money for basically any medical expenses despite the VA being kind of lovely up to and including nursing home residence.
I was extremely confused for a second because I thought you meant vet as in veterinarian.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much everything in Springfield not catering to the rich is usually crappy.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Absolutely. Especially considering the fact that both Claire and Phil have wealthy parents.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything in Springfield not catering to the rich is usually crappy.

Just like real life!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Depressio111117 posted:

In one episode they are told that they have so much debt that they will have to pay on it even after their deaths.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Samuringa posted:

Not a single person in the world thought about Michael Richards for years until two pages ago.

I doubt even Seinfeld fans know his real name without googling it.

I thought about him yesterday because he just made his first appearance in Curb and I am watching Curb for the first time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

curb is best in YouTube clip form, otherwise Larry becomes too annoying

actually just watch the best of Leon over and over

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

In one episode they are told that they have so much debt that they will have to pay on it even after their deaths.

Remember when that was comically extreme?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

curb is best in YouTube clip form, otherwise Larry becomes too annoying

actually just watch the best of Leon over and over

Only people who don’t relate to Larry think this way

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when that was comically extreme?

I'm pretty sure your estate's liability for your debts after you've died goes all the way back to Bible times. :shrug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure your estate's liability for your debts after you've died goes all the way back to Bible times. :shrug:

You can structure you assets in such a way that you appear to own nothing. I encountered this twice. Once at a paper/chemical distribution warehouse. We had a regular customer who was in the pool-building business. He would run up a huge bill and when we finally had to take him to court, it was revealed that nothing was in his name. He walked away from a $50k debt.

Another time was at a hospital where I worked. The husband of a friend of my then wife had to have heart surgery. He had been a successful contractor, but had no insurance and nothing was in his name. Like his two expensive houses and half-dozen luxury and sports cars. He was able to get $70k in services for about $2,000.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

get in that rear end larry

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a sketch that I'm not sure how it's aged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6TWGRcs6E

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a sketch that I'm not sure how it's aged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6TWGRcs6E

Sketches like Stout Life and General Synod's Life of Christ were parodies of real things that happened on TV and so have aged slightly less well than the rest, but Constable Savage, National Wealth Beds and especially Realism and Responsibility don't feel dated in the slightest. Not the Nine O'Clock News has mainly aged frighteningly well for a topical political sketch show that first aired in 1979.

So, for that matter, is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfuN9HRDVZY

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Question Time sketch also remains amusing ("At times like this I wonder what Nye Bevan would have done. And I'm pretty sure he would've shat in his pants," in a fake Welsh accent) but for some reason I can't access it on YouTube. Channel Four blocks it in my territory. I'm not sure why because a) it was a BBC series; and b) I am in London. :shrug:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Solice Kirsk posted:

If he's a good realtor then yes. They can pull down in the millions per year. Figure he sells 2 homes a month with an average value of $550k each and he'd gross $330k in commissions.

And as a good realtor he could have gotten an excellent deal on the house he bought.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean maybe I’m dumb but it seems like a realtor would manage just fine in an expensive housing market provided he can sell them. I mean if the prices skyrocket so do the commissions

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Don't they elude to him being the 2nd or 3rd best realtor in the area? I know he has a couple of arch enemies who are number 1.

I keep wanting to say something snarky and put down the show, but even though it's pretty long in the tooth and should probably have ended 2 seasons ago, I can't think of anything necessarily wrong with it. It really should have ended around the time all the sons' voices changed and the daughters graduated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah hes a realtor in LA and is portrayed as very successful but not number one, with multiple episodes hinging on him selling luxury homs, which if you think about him making around a 5% commission per house sale is pretty darn good living.

Show should have ended ages ago but its not offensive just sort of simpsons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Real estate in a major city is basically cheating nowadays, especially with the basically unlimited supply of Chinese money for empty apartments.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

AKA Pseudonym posted:

TV and movies have always had wonky depictions of economic class. Everybody lives in huge homes and has copious free time even if all the gags are about how poor they are. It's not because the standards of middle class success were vastly higher in 1989.

It's because it's difficult to film in realistically sized houses, and boring to tell a story around someone's day job.

It does frustrate me though when a character's socioeconomic position is not adequately explained, or worse is unrealistic. I think it can demonstrate a kind of privilege on the writer's part particularly when a character inexplicably has a plush apartment, nice clothes, etc. I find that more frustrating than when they get poverty wrong. Like they think that money and nice things just happen, and don't require significant effort for most people to acquire.

There's a UK soap called Hollyoaks (my wife watches it, ok), whose entire premise is....I don't know what exactly. It's just a village full of pretty wealthy 20 something's somehow generating plot lines. There's a bar I think, that some characters own or work at, but apart from that no one has a job.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Oct 14, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

It's because it's difficult to film in realistically sized houses, and boring to tell a story around someone's day job.

It does frustrate me though when a character's socioeconomic position is not adequately explained, or worse is unrealistic. I think it can demonstrate a kind of privilege on the writer's part particularly when a character inexplicably has a plush apartment, nice clothes, etc. I find that more frustrating than when they get poverty wrong. Like they think that money and nice things just happen, and don't require significant effort for most people to acquire.

There's a UK soap called Hollyoaks (my wife watches it, ok), whose entire premise is....I don't know what exactly. It's just a village full of pretty wealthy 20 something's somehow generating plot lines. There's a bar I think, that some characters own or work at, but apart from that no one has a job.

Soap operas are great because nothing makes sense. Like everyone, regardless of social status goes to the same sit down restaurant, bar, and coffee shop because you need lovers and enemies constantly bumping into each other to create friction. So these fictional towns are so desolate and poor they can only support one type of establishment each. If you want to eat you literally have no option except to go someplace where there will be lots of pregnant pauses and evil looks.

Also kids are constantly dying to push storylines. The childhood mortality rates of these places rival Somalia. My wife watches The Young & the Restless and I think every family has lost at least one kid to disease or hit-and-run. In the off chance your child makes it to age 18 you may have to shoot him, which was another storyline.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Krispy Wafer posted:

Soap operas are great because nothing makes sense. Like everyone, regardless of social status goes to the same sit down restaurant, bar, and coffee shop because you need lovers and enemies constantly bumping into each other to create friction. So these fictional towns are so desolate and poor they can only support one type of establishment each. If you want to eat you literally have no option except to go someplace where there will be lots of pregnant pauses and evil looks.

Also kids are constantly dying to push storylines. The childhood mortality rates of these places rival Somalia. My wife watches The Young & the Restless and I think every family has lost at least one kid to disease or hit-and-run. In the off chance your child makes it to age 18 you may have to shoot him, which was another storyline.

Another UK soap EastEnders has been going since the early 80s, and has had to keep up the pretence of a type of London community that doesn't really exist any more. These are humble working class Londoners, with normal jobs, somehow existing on a street that would have been snapped up by property investors years ago and would now be worth millions.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

EvilGenius posted:

That's what I really liked about the kids show "As Told By Ginger". There was a clear distinction in size and upkeep between her and her middle class/upper class friends' homes and bedrooms. It was a really good preteen show.
But i guess it's a lot easier to do in animation because you don't have to fit an entire filmcrew in there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Rosanne did it pretty well. Their house was depressingly real and was in an area where you could totally have that size house on their income. The reboot even made a joke about how everything still looked the same from 20 years ago because no one could afford new stuff.

In the 70's One Day at a Time and Good Times both had apartments that were decidedly un-glamorous. So shows have done it for years, but the program has to be really good because no one wants to watch depressing poo poo like unless it's entertaining

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rosanne did it pretty well. Their house was depressingly real and was in an area where you could totally have that size house on their income. The reboot even made a joke about how everything still looked the same from 20 years ago because no one could afford new stuff.

In the 70's One Day at a Time and Good Times both had apartments that were decidedly un-glamorous. So shows have done it for years, but the program has to be really good because no one wants to watch depressing poo poo like unless it's entertaining
Yeah that was some really good set work. It really felt like a real house that this kind of family would live in.
It's been awhile since I've seen "Malcolm In The Middle" but I remember them doing it pretty well too.Everything looked way too old for the time period and the parents ages, especially compared to the other houses you saw. And all the boys shared the biggest room in the house.
I shared a room with my younger brother until I was like 11 so I could relate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sarcopenia posted:

That's what I really liked about the kids show "As Told By Ginger". There was a clear distinction in size and upkeep between her and her middle class/upper class friends' homes and bedrooms. It was a really good preteen show.
But i guess it's a lot easier to do in animation because you don't have to fit an entire filmcrew in there.

Daria as well comes to mind, with sometimes subtle but distinct class distinctions between characters, and class often played a big part in some plots. (It is implied Lawndale is pretty upscale in general, at least the area the characters go to school in, but when they interact with old money the different is stark. Daria's mom's family seems to be pretty rich) And a lot of that is lifestyle as much as anything.

I think a lot of it is also that lowest-common-denominator type shows don't want to show a particular lifestyle that might alienate a certain audience, so everything is deliberately vague, almost childish. Jobs and houses and bills aren't fun and important, kissing and loving and murder is exciting.