Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BlazetheInferno posted:

The only way to get the rulers to not appear at all is by uninstalling the DLC. By not integrating it, and un-checking the Alien Nest mission, all you've done is allow the Rulers to show up whenever they drat well feel like it. Those checkboxes you unchecked weren't what activates the rulers... they're what keeps them in check.

Integrating the Alien Rulers DLC relegates them to guarding Avatar Facilities, so that you have to go after the Facility to fight them.
Un-integrating the DLC, but keeping the Alien Nest mission active forces you to, just like pre-WotC, do the scanning and the mission to let the Rulers show up.
By un-checking both, the rulers will appear automatically after a set point, with nothing to hold them back but time, and that won't last long.

Thanks. Nothing about this system makes any sense. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The photobooth is the best feature I never knew I wanted

Nordick posted:

I would really loving love it if unchecking mods in the launcher would actually, you know, turn them off.

To troubleshoot for the bug I mentioned above, I ran through Gatecrasher with mods disabled (at least that checkbock does what it's loving meant to) to create a vanilla, unmodded save. The idea was to start enabling mods one by one to see when the bug pops up.

Problem is, after creating this clean save, exiting the game and restarting it with all mods unchecked just to be sure, it turns out at least a bunch of them were still active regardless and the bug was there as well. So I guess I'd have to like, unsubscribe from them all and then hunt them down and resubscribe one by one and just, oh my god gently caress that.

It sounds like you may be running into this. https://www.reddit.com/r/xcom2mods/wiki/wotc_modding/guides/fix_duplicateactivemod

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Oh jeez. I checked my DefaultModOptions.ini and yeah, it's bloated as fuuhhhuuuuck.

Managed to hunt down the TextFX plugin for 64 bit Notepad++, followed the instructions.... and Notepad++ crashes at phase 4. Welp.

EDIT: Ok let's see if this works; I stuck all my mods into a workshop collection (thanks for that tip Blazetheinferno), unsubscribed from them all and wiped the .ini clean, then resubscribed to everything. Currently redownloading 6 GB of mods. :v:

EDIT 2: Alright, that worked. After redownloading everything, I ran the game with the mods all there in the launcher but unchecked, and lo and behold the vanilla save was actually vanilla.

Then I did some testing:
Ran the game with one mod active, it got added to the .ini ok.
Unchecked the mod, ran the game again, mod got removed from the .ini. All fine.
THEN I ran the game with all mods checked. They all got added to the .ini once. (for reference, the .ini was now about 130 lines. In its bloated form it was over 1000.)
Again ran the game with all mods unchecked, and sure enough the problem started cropping up immediately, as around 100 of the mods stayed in the .ini. And running the game again with everything checked added them in the .ini as duplicates.

Also, now that I see how this works, I realise that that whole song and dance about removing duplicate lines with the Notepad++ plugin is pointless. Just wipe the .ini file clean, whatever mods you have active when you next hit Play in the launcher will just get readded into it.

I kinda hoped just fixing the duplicate problem would've also gotten rid of that Photobooth bug, but no such luck. Guess I can finally start what I was originally gonna do and start enabling mods one by one. :shepicide:

EDIT 3: P.S: A million thanks for the heads up btw. Being aware of this issue will likely be hugely helpful in any future troubleshooting.

EDIT 4: Fix your game, Jake

Nordick fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 13, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Spacedad posted:

The 7-mission runs seems like a fantastic way to get a nice shot of xcom throughout the week; either playing through all 7 missions in one go or doing one or two a day. The scoring system also lets you play basically in iron man but take a score penalty if you gently caress up and have to redo a mission. It makes for a fair system that challenges you to get better but doesn't ruin the gameplay fun of a run that you mess up in.

i dislike the early bird bonus's implementation but that's really my only complaint. it's stupid to have so many points wrapped up in getting something done right now when :xcom: is a thing. my 'i'm done' for tonight came when i missed a 98% shot to finish off a faceless and he swooshed two of my dudes in return, losing me a level of early bird and 2k in wounds.

if i just had 2 turns per early bird decay or something that would be really drat appreciated and let me play the game sanely instead of mindlessly aggressively.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Coolguye posted:

my 'i'm done' for tonight came when i missed a 98% shot to finish off a faceless and he swooshed two of my dudes in return, losing me a level of early bird and 2k in wounds.

You deserved it!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Thank loving god, I found the mod causing the photobooth bug, and it's not even an imprtant one; Configurable Headshots, which just fixes soldier portraits having the unsightly fish eye effect. A minor cosmetic niggle that I can easily live with compared to the hassle the fix was causing. I even verified that it does it all by itself instead of via conflicting with something else.

Now I'm gonna go get some sleep, and when I wake up I'm gonna make so many goddamn posters.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bird Decay

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Playing through the legacy missions it occurrs to me how situational the wotc-classes felt, and how little I ended up using them as a result.

E: Especially the templars

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So I know nothing about mods, how does this look? Want mostly QoL stuff, not big balance changes, don't know how the "infinite starting items" would much the game or if it would be better to deactivate it and hack plus.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Does Bladestorm make you immune to stun lancer melee attacks? The last 3 times stun lancers have attacked either of my Bladestorm rangers the stun lancer attack animation played but I didn't take any damage and then killed them with a Bladestorm counter attack.

Also, there's nothing more satisfying than snake dude grabbing a Bladestorm ranger, getting killed by Bladestorm, and then the ranger having better cover than they started with.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Playing through the legacy missions it occurrs to me how situational the wotc-classes felt, and how little I ended up using them as a result.

E: Especially the templars

I always end up sticking my Skirmisher on the B-team, but Templars are really good in different ways throughout the game, and while Reapers are sort of niche initially they're absolutely loving insane by endgame.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

LLSix posted:

Does Bladestorm make you immune to stun lancer melee attacks? The last 3 times stun lancers have attacked either of my Bladestorm rangers the stun lancer attack animation played but I didn't take any damage and then killed them with a Bladestorm counter attack.

Also, there's nothing more satisfying than snake dude grabbing a Bladestorm ranger, getting killed by Bladestorm, and then the ranger having better cover than they started with.

I'm no expert but I think it happens in that the Lancer's stun attack is considered similarly to a Ranger slash, so like, it has to play that animation regardless, even if Bladestorm interrupts it. Seems like you're just lucky.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Animations can get weird when multiple things happen at once. Saw one last night where a pod got proxy mined then activated with the team on overwatch. between the time stops for overwatch and the time stops for score counting up, you had stuff like a muton getting shot for 3 damage, "dying", just hanging there in the air while other stuff plays out for everyone else, THEN the bomb went off for the rest of its hp.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AntsyFlirtyNarwhalPJSugar ignore the audio, one of the hallmarks of Jadestream is people reading horrible stuff in their entirety instead of saying "this was bad, let's move on with our lives"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 13, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Templar have a really weird phase where they can't reliably kill enemies (sometimes even sectoids!) on their own and so struggle to build focus which continues to hamper them throughout the mission., but their damage eventually ends up respectable. They also activate a ton of pods and while Parry/Deflect/Reflect are nice, they won't save everyone else on a team. IMO, they're also much more reliant on XCOM skills: a Templar that gets Bladestorm and Fortress is a very different one from one who doesn't. They also don't really have any great Focus spenders until Colonel, so you're heavily reliant on Rend anyway.

Skirmishers are just generally solid all around. Reflex is a bit of a poo poo skill, but they're flexible, mobile, and can do a lot in a turn when you need them to. Reapers, as mentioned, start off kind of weak and then break the game over their knee.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't play UFO Defense. This soundtrack is something else. The music for the first load screen alone was super intense.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like templars in Legacy for the high accuracy on their attacks and the chance to help out with Amplify while still doing something. With good scouting you can still use them quite safely. Still sucks that on the final campaign you are so starved for long range damage though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Templar is useful in the Sea legacy mission since Rend is a reusable Grenade and most Chryysalids get one shot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

marshmallow creep posted:

I didn't play UFO Defense. This soundtrack is something else. The music for the first load screen alone was super intense.

The soundtrack should be titled "A treatise on how late 80's and early 90's synth music would sound if made with modern computing." Because that's basically what it is, and it's AWESOME.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Campaign 3, Mission 6

Okay are you kidding me. You have 5 turns to get to the other side of the map and engage the Sectopod and Gatekeeper pods before you lose. Tight time limit but I guess it's doable. But no I just got game over on this mission because the unactivated Sectopod decided to take its 4th shot, and then get up and walk through the memory core to destroy it. What the actual gently caress.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can you revive Central if he is killed, since he is marked as unconscious?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Campaign 3, Mission 6

Okay are you kidding me. You have 5 turns to get to the other side of the map and engage the Sectopod and Gatekeeper pods before you lose. Tight time limit but I guess it's doable. But no I just got game over on this mission because the unactivated Sectopod decided to take its 4th shot, and then get up and walk through the memory core to destroy it. What the actual gently caress.

The only way I was able to get through intact was to take control of the first mech you meet with Lily ASAP and then beeline it to the core getting everything's attention. It's sturdy enough to tank a bit and you should have enough firepower to take down the sectopod in a turn or two and then the gatekeeper on followup (Lily's AOE vs robots helps a ton)

Ironically mission 7 is MUCH easier.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Can you revive Central if he is killed, since he is marked as unconscious?

Yup!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Campaign 3, Mission 6

Same thing happened to me. Objectives that count as destructible objects when it comes to large characters moving through them has been an irritation since day 1, sadly. Given the nostalgia-fest that this DLC has been, I couldn't help but laugh and just restart.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lost swarms appearing out of thin air next to you on your turn is dumb as poo poo

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Quit using grenades in abandoned cities.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

Quit using grenades in abandoned cities.

While true, every once in awhile enough stray fire can hit a car or something that it goes up in flames, so it definitely could happen on your turn if you were spectacularly unlucky I guess.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I always end up sticking my Skirmisher on the B-team, but Templars are really good in different ways throughout the game, and while Reapers are sort of niche initially they're absolutely loving insane by endgame.

Templars strike me as a liability until you get upgrades. You can usually count on rend to trigger another pod, and the ranged damage is downright miserable, so please please give me another ranger instead.

E: dammit, what Ravenfood said.

Ravenfood posted:

Templar have a really weird phase where they can't reliably kill enemies (sometimes even sectoids!) on their own and so struggle to build focus which continues to hamper them throughout the mission., but their damage eventually ends up respectable. They also activate a ton of pods and while Parry/Deflect/Reflect are nice, they won't save everyone else on a team. IMO, they're also much more reliant on XCOM skills: a Templar that gets Bladestorm and Fortress is a very different one from one who doesn't. They also don't really have any great Focus spenders until Colonel, so you're heavily reliant on Rend anyway.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a mod that adds a unique cannon, drone, and grenade launcher? It sucks that the chosen equipment leaves so many gaps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Enemy in LOS of sniper

Blow up his cover with demolition

No longer in LOS of sniper

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Lost Spawn Further Away
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1129671250

Makes Lost swarms spawn 30 tiles from the players units, vs 18 tiles. keeps em from spawning right on your face.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Digirat posted:

Enemy in LOS of sniper

Blow up his cover with demolition

No longer in LOS of sniper

This is one of the more unintuitive things about XCOM is that units in cover lean.

So you have a unit positioned like either of these:
code:
  _
 OXO

__
 OX|
  O
X is the tile the unit is on, the line is the cover, and the O's are the adjacent tiles. If the unit is attacking its LOS is calculated as not just from the X but from the O's too as he can lean out from his tile. This goes the same for defending: the unit is considered on all 3 tiles or LOS purposes. Obviously whatever tile its on is where its actually the tile that the units defenses are calculated from, but LOS-wise the unit is in a quantum state of existing on all three tiles both attacking and defending.

HOWEVER once you destroy that cover and the unit is completely uncovered doesn't lean. He just sits there with his rear end out in the wind and LOS only considers the unit on the tile its standing on.

So if you destroy a unit's last piece of cover, you collapse his quantum waveform and he exists only on that specific tile.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 14, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not sure what caused this bug.

My entire evac volume appeared in unselectable terrain. Thankfully, when I tried to TATC on top of it to see if that would let me evac, it generated a new one and I finished the mission.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay which one of you came up with Tygan's nickname. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, that third mission in Lazarus.
Narrow road filled with explosive cars. Cramped packs likely to aggro multiples at once. If you hack the mech the priest stasises it killing the hack. Then, once you make it through all that, the final pack is positioned to ONLY AGGRO WHEN YOU STAND ON THE X4 SPOT, and has two flame guys. You know, just to make sure any cars you *haven't* blown up yet get their chance to kill you.
Honestly I haven't a clue how I made it through with no deaths. Dumb luck.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Uhh, this is interesting.

Turn around, guys! We found your twins!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bruceski posted:

Man, that third mission in Lazarus.
Narrow road filled with explosive cars. Cramped packs likely to aggro multiples at once. If you hack the mech the priest stasises it killing the hack. Then, once you make it through all that, the final pack is positioned to ONLY AGGRO WHEN YOU STAND ON THE X4 SPOT, and has two flame guys. You know, just to make sure any cars you *haven't* blown up yet get their chance to kill you.
Honestly I haven't a clue how I made it through with no deaths. Dumb luck.

On that mission I ended up going way wide left, scouting the whole way with my reaper. The double zerker pod decided to wander over and join the Advent group that it spawns nearby, so I used my claymore on the giant pile of 6 aliens. The reaper you get doesn't have good claymore skills so no one actually died, but it put one of the berserkers in a blind rage, and he proceeded to kill the rest of the pod one by one, without me even revealing. I was loving dying laughing, I've never seen that happen before at all.

I think I nuked the purifier pod next to an exploding car, sharpshooter-> one purifier exploded->car exploding-> other purifier exploding, all dead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So apparently the "fear of vipers" thing can trigger on an ally seeing a snake, the guy doesn't actually have to see it himself at any point, making him panic and shoot in stealth :thumbsup:

he is afraid of the mere concept of snakes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
On the final mission of the first Legacy Op, the goddamn Spectre apparently sauntered off onto one of the platforms behind the dam and just sat there the entire mission, oblivious to anything going on around it.

Got to the end, killed the last pod, didn't get the mission complete screen. Figured it was the Gatekeeper I'd dominated, shot it, nope.

Spent a good minute walking back to the beginning of the map to shoot the drat idiot coward Spectre. Truly an excellent throwback to EW maps where one Sectoid would retreat and hide in gently caress knows where, forcing you to wander around the map and find it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Must be Irish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

So apparently the "fear of vipers" thing can trigger on an ally seeing a snake, the guy doesn't actually have to see it himself at any point, making him panic and shoot in stealth :thumbsup:

he is afraid of the mere concept of snakes

I work at a haunted house and a customer tonight kept asking me if there were REAL SNAKES?? and I'm like no there are not real snakes BUT THERE ARE SNAKES?? yes there are fake snakes BUT DO THEY TOUCH YOU and so on