Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Sell Cordoba now and Cole later, maybe?

Also, does this game have any sort of hidden "team loyalty" stat that makes a player more likely to stick around even if they could get more money elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ugh, those are some fantastic prospects but I was hoping we could get an arm back for him. Our OF is also currently stacked with three four-star young guys who are putting up insane numbers, so I'm not sure how Velazquez fits into the picture. Lugo definitely looks like an upgrade over Urias though. And yeah I'm really not thrilled about handing Cole off to the Cubs when we're on a crash course in the playoffs.

I know I'm the one who said to shop him, but Hold Cole. Maybe we can deal him in the offseason for a quality arm.

Trade Cordoba, he's not exactly setting the world on fire and it will at least give us some salary relief.

e. Also I'm betting that with Cole we have a better shot at a ring - or at least a deeper playoff run - and our cheapass owner will give us some more table scraps.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 12, 2018

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

To get an idea of how dominating our pitching is right now... We have a pitcher with a 3.02 ERA, a 6-5 record, and a WAR of 2.0. We moved him to Long Relief because he's our worst starting pitcher so that we could start our Long Relief guy who with a 2.06 ERA who has gone 5-0 in 5 starts.

I know that sounds like me advocating for us to sell pitchers but WIN NOW BABY. Hold them all for our glorious run!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alright...we swung a nice deal for Cordoba: Matthew Thompson, a 20 year old RHP with a 97 mph heater, four plus pitches and a 70 slider. He's been getting lit up in high A this year and the Cardinals are looking to offload. Ol' Pete says he's the real deal.

Unfortunately we have to kick in a bit to get him: SS Edison Mora, a decent SS (we have too many SS in the org already) and Ryan Sloniger, a nothing C prospect.

We will HOLD Cole, and see what happens!

UPDATE

Mejia's demands for a long term deal are just too much...we're not saving any cash long term. So, we extended Cal Quantrill to the tune of 7 years, $77m! That gives us 3 years of super discount on him when he's (hopefully) in his prime.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 12, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yea fuckin flags fly forever boys that was the right call

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Sandman posted:

Also, does this game have any sort of hidden "team loyalty" stat that makes a player more likely to stick around even if they could get more money elsewhere?

Yep sure is. There's a "greed" stat also.

This is largely a formality, but Justin Wilson is asking about an extension. He's incredible, but there's no way we do 6+ years at $18m per, right? We let the man walk?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah no loving way. He's already 33 to boot and I'm going to wager he won't be putting up a sub 1 ERA come his age 40 season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

This is largely a formality, but Justin Wilson is asking about an extension. He's incredible, but there's no way we do 6+ years at $18m per, right? We let the man walk?

:lol:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what's his current deal

should we shop him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's his current deal

should we shop him

Expires at the end of this season but we have 2 option years. I'm thinking we pick one of those up then shop him around, it's not like we don't have other elite RPs who could fill in at closer.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm a Brit who was only exposed to baseball when I was in North America, but I miss the days when the game wasn't entirely about Ks and Home Runs and teams actually stole bases and tried to hit for average.

In any event, I wanted to link here a fairly short but very fun LP of OotP '15 that happened some time back. It didn't have a ton of readers, but I enjoyed it and I hope that you will too.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

bewbies posted:

Never pay relievers. I am imagining how hard our GM had to work to not laugh in his face at that suggested price tag.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2021 playoffs

NLDS: Atlanta Braves vs San Diego Padres

The Braves are a decent team, mainly reliant on excellent pitching. They'll be a tough opponent.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Holy poo poo that was a close call. Thank you, Gerrit Cole

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
NLCS: Washington Nationals vs San Diego Padres

The Nationals look a lot like the Braves: they have an elite staff and a handful of elite hitters, but are pretty reliant on pitching.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

Game 7

gently caress you phil maton, why the gently caress was he even in the goddamn game

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2021

That was another giant wet fart. I think the team that we have in place can win a series or two before they all price us out, but they need to get on the move here.

The team made FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS in profit last year. The owner increased our budget by $8m. Because he's a poo poo bitch punk. We have about $12m to play with.

VOTE

OFFSEASON STRATEGY

Issue #1:

I think we're settled on a general strategy for the time being (keep the band together as long as possible), so what I'm going to ask for here is more like tactics: we need to carefully allocate the limited money that we have. I suggest the following for an offseason agenda:

- Clear salary to extend some arbitration guys
- Rebuild the bullpen
- Hire (or rehire) a manager

If you have any additions or subtractions, say so!

Issue #2: our manager. Andy Green is out of contract. He wants to resign, but wants almost $2m a year. Our options are:

A - Resign Green. Pay the man.

B - Hire an experienced outside manager. Selection is VERY limited: Brad Ausmus, Kirk Gibson, and Ozzie Guillen are the kinds of guys that are available.

C - Hire a young outside manager. Austin Chubb is a very interesting candidate. He'll be cheap, and he has shown some talent, and fits our team strategy well.

D - Promote one of our minor league managers. Both our AA (Philip Wellman) and AAA (Rod Barajas) have done extremely well. Barajas has the better resume, but Wellman is a "tactician", which was what we wanted to pursue all the way back in the day.

Issue #3 is options, extensions, and arbitration.

For options, the only "option" of sorts is if we want to qualify Justin Wilson on a $16m, one year deal. I'd say its 50/50 he takes it...if he does, we have a $16m/yr closer (which we may be able to trade), if he doesn't we get a 1st round draft pick. If we don't qualify him, he walks for nothing.

For arbitration, I say we withdraw the offers for Luis Perdomo, and extend it to everyone else.

For extensions, if we clear some salary (read: trade Cole), we should try and extend one or more young guys. Please prioritize these players in the order I should offer extensions to them. If you think we should not offer an extension, leave them off your list.

RHP Michel Baez
RF Seth Beer
LF Justin Williams
1B Bobby Bradley
LHP MacKenzie Gore (he's still on league min for another season)
SS Royce Lewis (also still on league min)
C Francisco Mejia
CF Bryan Reynolds
2B Luis Urias

Issue #4 is trades. We are up against the wall financially and have not built fan interest like I'd hoped we would despite going to the LCS. We can clear salary by trading Gerrit Cole or Joey Lucchesi, both of whom are outstanding pitchers on reasonable deals, but can be effectively backfilled by our farm and youngsters. Other than that...we're pretty much where we're at money-wise.

Upload should be finished shortly.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 13, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, take a look at Michael "Mike" Trout's season, along with what Cody Bellinger has been doing lately.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 13, 2018

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Can we literally crucify the last two pitchers in Game 7 outside the entrance of the park as a warning to the rest of the bullpen?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fire Green for putting Matton in to blow TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES (I had to double check when I looked at game seven because he did the exact same thing in game six) instead of using Wilson in at least game seven (game six has deniability since he pitched three innings in game 5). Replace him with that Chubb fells, we've been doing a pretty decent job with our youthful coaching gambles, may as well keep going back to the well!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also down with trading Maton once we get him signed to an arb deal. Ol' Pete still thinks there's a good reliever in there somewhere but I'm pretty over him.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Fire Green for putting Matton in to blow TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES (I had to double check when I looked at game seven because he did the exact same thing in game six) instead of using Wilson in at least game seven (game six has deniability since he pitched three innings in game 5). Replace him with that Chubb fells, we've been doing a pretty decent job with our youthful coaching gambles, may as well keep going back to the well!

Agreed. Fire him, out of a cannon, in the general direction of LA. Then get rid of Matton.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

This. Also shop Cole and see what we can get.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offer is in for Austin Chubb to be our new skipper.

Here's what we can do for Cole, kid:

Cubs will still do the Matthew Lugo and Nelson Velazquez deal. You get a premier power bat prospect and one of the best all around 2B prospects in the game. They also kicked in Jose Albertos as a roster makeweight. He's a 22 year old RHP with a 98 mph heater, an 80 change, and a plus fastball. He projects either as an elite reliever or a #3 starter, depending on how well his curveball and command develop. He's ready to go in a ML bullpen today, though.

They asked for a couple prospects back: Spencer Torkelson, our current #6 prospect, a bat-first infielder and former late first round pick, and Eguy Rosario, a nothing 3B prospect.

Considering as a part of this deal you get $21 million in salary back as well, I think you should pull the trigger.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Let's go

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
:yeah:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:agreed:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that is a lot of hookers you just bought for your owner

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hell yeah. So that's Cole gone, Lucchesi up to #5 and Albertos into the bullpen? Extend Mejia, and also Reynolds if we can afford it.

e: also what does the closer market look like? I'd be down with extending a QO to Wilson but only if we can be 100% sure he'll get a better offer from someone else.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 14, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honestly I'm okay with a QO to Wilson. He's been effective and we can dump him if necessary after a year. Or he can hopefully walk and we get a first-rounder to bolster our Team Homegrown/Wheel-n-Deal aesthetic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
No point getting rid of Cole to dump his salary and then immediately giving 80% of that cash to a reliever.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Julio Cruz posted:

No point getting rid of Cole to dump his salary and then immediately giving 80% of that cash to a reliever.

:same:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, that's fair, but the QO is going to be a crapshoot anyway. He's been effective enough but we don't know for sure other people want him, that's gonna be up in the air either way. We give him walking papers and we get nothing. He's arguably the top of the FA closer class and is LIKELY to generate interest, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be pissed off to have him on the books for another year.

Or let him walk, hope we can find some more bullpen arms, and sigh plaintively at the first round pick we don't get. :shrug:

edit: I'm not saying hope he stays, I'm saying hope he goes and roll the dice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wilson isn't worth a QO

rickiep00h posted:

Or let him walk, hope we can find some more bullpen arms, and sigh plaintively at the first round pick we don't get. :shrug:

I don't think he makes enough as a FA to get us a 1/2 sandwich pick

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Any way we could get Wilson on a cheaper deal prior to the QO? What's he asking for? I know his extension ask was absurd but is there any shot we could get him on a reasonable 2-3 year deal and then try to shop him if need be?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Wilson isn't worth a QO

I don't think he makes enough as a FA to get us a 1/2 sandwich pick

I'm just repeating what (I'm pretty sure) bewbies said.

Like I said, I don't really care either way, we'll clearly use whatever we end up with, but I don't think having a solid *~proven closer~* on a year we're intending to go all the way to be the worst place to spend money.

edit:

quote:

For options, the only "option" of sorts is if we want to qualify Justin Wilson on a $16m, one year deal. I'd say its 50/50 he takes it...if he does, we have a $16m/yr closer (which we may be able to trade), if he doesn't we get a 1st round draft pick. If we don't qualify him, he walks for nothing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I'm just repeating what (I'm pretty sure) bewbies said.

Like I said, I don't really care either way, we'll clearly use whatever we end up with, but I don't think having a solid *~proven closer~* on a year we're intending to go all the way to be the worst place to spend money.

edit:

oh, I assumed OOTP would have updated the QO rules, my bad

I still don't think he's worth the QO. Unless they massively changed the way the game works (lol) relievers aren't super hard to come by if you do some digging.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd be very annoyed if we offer him a QO and he accepts. Having a reliever be your highest-paid player (and by a long, long way) is literally never a good idea now matter how good he is.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason update

After that spirited debate I did NOT qualify Justin Wilson, as I wanted to have that cash free for trying to buy out some guys with our money from the Cole trade. WHICH WE DID

We extended Frank Mejia to a 7/105 contract through his age 33 season, and Justin Williams to a 7/84 deal, with two team options (this is a heck of a deal). That blew our wad on extensions, but we still have about $15m to spend on free agents.

We also had some award winners: Urias won his second GG at 2B, Durbin Feltman won reliever of the year, Mejia, FTJ, and all three of our outfielders won Silver Sluggers (note: I don't ever remember this happening to me before aside from gamey historical games). Also, Cal Quantrill won his first Cy Young. FTJ was robbed of the MVP by Cody Bellinger.

VOTE

There isn't much we can afford in free agent market that would be an upgrade for us aside from one very interesting possibility: Sung-Yong Booh, a RHP from ROK. He looks like a clone of Mo Rivera: right hander with two pitches: a 98+ mph cutter, and an offspeed pitch. Ol' Pete thinks VERY highly of him, and his initial demand is only 4/24. Him plus Feltman, Wingenter, and Munoz looks like a league-best bullpen that won't blow multiple playoff games. Pursue him, or no?

Second, I think we should consider trading Marco Luciano. He's the #8 overall prospect, but he's a pure middle infielder, and we're pretty well set at both MI positions with Urias, Royce Lewis, and now Matthew Lugo. I think we should probably target a superbat at 1B, as it is unlikely we're able to retain Bobby Bradley after arbitration. My first choice is Blaze Jordan, who projects as a plus plus plus (plus) bat, and not much else. He was the 4th overall pick season before last and is currently the #7 overall prospect He'll cost a small fortune (Luciano ++) but has Edgar Martinez or Don Mattingly kind of hitting potential.

The other possibility is Luis Zavala, who the Reds currently have trying to play in the OF but definitely looks more like a 1B in the majors. He's also only 18, and not as well developed as Jordan, but also projects as an elite bat somewhere down the line. He'll be cheaper to get but isn't as much of a blue chipper.

So, do we:

Pursue Booh

and, or

Trade Luciano

Note: We also packed off Maton for Ian Anderson, a 23 year old borderline starter/reliever with a plus slider who looks like he could make the ML roster this year. Bye, Phil.

On further review I feel like Blaze Jordan was a born Padre

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Make both moves

go for BLAZE

• Locked thread