Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

As much as many tenets of conservative politics baffle me the whole gamer thing where they act like its a powerful man hobby is just so loving befuddling. It's completely the opposite but they preach only some kind of gaming "count" as gaming. It's all loving gaming!

But then this is the community that didn't understand PC master race was sarcasm making fun of them. People are weird.

If there is anything that men -in general- have adopted, it's because it's good, and if it's good then it is masculine. If doctors discovered that wearing stilettos was great for the penis health then they would eventually be the manliest loving thing ever.

It's not like gaming is manly, it is that men like gaming, therefore it has to be manly.

e: what a snipe!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Parp shitizen is the bddsses

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Midnight Voyager posted:

Vertisce takes their own schtick Very Poorly.

Vertisce has very thin skin. He's not good with mocking or humour.
Apparently, we spend all our time stalking him.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

The Titanic posted:

But, as far as character models go, Gillian's looked like one of the worst ones, complete with plastic hair and a complete lack of facial textures. She almost looks as bad as the Andromeda characters.

Comparing her to almost every other character in the trailer was a bit jarring. Even the apparent bad guy in the middle of the Hamill scene looked several orders of magnitude better than she did.

She looks ~25 yrs younger.

Like Chris said, "Make her look like mid 90s agent Scully."

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

BluesShaman posted:

Chris still thinks its the mid 90's so it makes sense. But, I'm ok with this, Scully was my first crush as a kid.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

trucutru posted:

If there is anything that men -in general- have adopted, it's because it's good, and if it's good then it is masculine. If doctors discovered that wearing stilettos was great for the penis health then they would eventually be the manliest loving thing ever.

It's not like gaming is manly, it is that men like gaming, therefore it has to be manly.

e: what a snipe!

Breeding brachycephaly in dogs and cats is bad.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

colonelwest posted:

Chris still thinks its the mid 90's so it makes sense. But, I'm ok with this, Scully was my first crush as a kid.

I'm not complaining; just observing.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I found a good post from this thread on :reddit:

quote:

I think the thing I don't understand about this game and the way they are showcasing it, is what exactly is the plan for when gamers don't play the game the way the developers want them to.

For example, they showed off the "functioning transit system", and they mention when you're flying outside, you can see the trains on the tracks going to each of their stations and they mentioned how the hangar is a real place and you can see other players docking or leaving various times. So what exactly is going to happen when players do something like fly their ship into the train? What happens when people jump on top of trains and surf them from one destination to another? What happens when people just throw poo poo onto the tracks? What happens if debris lands on the tracks?

Their designing this as if its a real world and that's really interesting, sure, but its not a real world. And you're going to have thousands of gamers that live(or die, really) for anarchy and are going to break your real world at every chance they get. Why would I ever take the train somewhere when there are, notoriously, trolls that re-roll a character, hijack some ship, just so they can ram it into a train and kill people. Or what about when I sit around waiting for 6 minutes for a train to arrive, I get in with 5 or 10 other people, and 1 of them just decides "gently caress it, I'm going to throw grenades on the floor in this small, confined tube that nobody can escape from.

They had that moment later where you land and investigate a crash for a mission. Its like a solid 5 minute flight to get all the way out there and its out in the middle of nowhere. Some other players arrive and instantly just blow your ship up. What happens if you blow their ship up too? Walking back to civilization would clearly take hours. Are you just stranded in the middle of loving nowhere? Do I have to order an equivalent of an Uber to get back to civilization? What if I'm still new to the game and I don't have money or friends to pick me up? Do I just re-roll? There's so much poo poo going on in this game that sounds like an interesting idea on paper but sounds like a nightmare in practice. And I imagine any "video game magic" solution to remove the tedium just undoes all the immersion they were trying to so hard to preserve in the first place.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

And then people are like :smuggo: "These problems are solved already or will be solved in testing."

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mainstream gamers have been onto CIG's BS for the past year or two and this a good comment that gets to the core of a lot of problems. Chris envisions people waking up in their space apartments, making coffee, conducting hygiene, getting a bite to eat, putting clothing on one piece at a time, walking through a maze of hallways to find a mission giver, listening to some horrible hack sci-fi dialogue, walking to train station, waiting 5 minutes for a train to arrive, riding the train to the spaceport, open the door to your spaceship, walk through some more bland hallways, get into your pilot seat, conduct 10 minutes of pre-flight procedures (including balancing your Argon levels), take off, fly for god knows how long to some generic outpost on the planet or space, engage in some janky fps for 5 minutes, get some MacGuffin, carry it to your ship, place it in the cargo bay, fly to some drop off point, land back at the space port, talk to the mission giver again to get a paltry amount of space bucks, engage in post-flight refueling and maintenance and then prepare to do it all over again.

Even if this all works seamlessly, it would involve hours of tedium that would make Elite Dangerous look like a nonstop thrill ride.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Would.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Did you know that FOX fought Chris Carter over casting Gillian Anderson as Scully, because they didn't think she was hot enough?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I got into the 3.3 PTU. Observations when compared to the 3.2 that I'd been torturing myself with since yesterday:

* Menus are vastly improved. They stopped that in-game "Holo projection" effect bullshit and now it's just an overlay that pops up. Much more readable.
* There are still a lot of buttons on most of the menus that don't seem to... do anything? I don't understand how half of this poo poo is still placeholders, 6 years in.
* I counted 47 people in general chat when I logged in, with no appreciable slowdown, so that's pretty nice
* Contrary to past PTU's the performance at Port O was completely smooth, no hitching and no crashes. Usually in a PTU I have to race to spawn a ship before the server shits itself.
* The PTU lets you spawn a bunch of new ships. As usual, getting into any ship you don't already know the trick to is a loving nightmare. Some of them are just bugged and spawn without any doors or ramps attached. Fun!
* The luxury Constellation is full of useless gewgaws like a bar and bedroom, and the launchable fighter still doesn't work. 6 loving years.
* The map hasn't been improved at all. If anything it's worse. At least it's easier to read due to the menu changes.
* They've added new planets, waaaay further away than they used to be. QT'ing across the system takes a loving while. I'm talking 5, 10 minutes or more of just staring at blue poo poo. Go make yourself a sandwich, you aren't missing anything. Can't wait until they add 100 systems and you have to travel across them!
*Jumping about halfway across the system ate up all my quantum fuel and left me stranded in space with no way to refuel. So, that's loving fun I guess? Time to kill myself! I'm not sure how you're supposed to travel unless they place gas stations every few minutes on every major route.
*Killing myself caused the game to crash, finally.

Next up, combat.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Instead of the stretch goal promised 100 systems, there will only be 5-10 systems at launch.

I hope this helps you manage your expectations.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Store Citizer: I advise you to stand back and toe the line.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Even though there is only a fraction of a single system in the game, the pipelines will ajkkdfoiha

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

BurtLington posted:

Store Citizer: I advise you to stand back and toe the line.

LOL that's great stuff. Just call them all heretics like you're still on the SC sub or Spectrum, that's sure to drum up support for this 7 year old scam, and not make you come off as a complete lunatic.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BluesShaman posted:

Even Scully had some color and quality to her face.

But I guess this is a thing because even the new tomb raider Lara has skin that's basically porcelain. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

There's pretty good texture there. Also the hair doesn't look like a piece of plastic.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I got into the 3.3 PTU. Observations when compared to the 3.2 that I'd been torturing myself with since yesterday:

* Menus are vastly improved. They stopped that in-game "Holo projection" effect bullshit and now it's just an overlay that pops up. Much more readable.
* There are still a lot of buttons on most of the menus that don't seem to... do anything? I don't understand how half of this poo poo is still placeholders, 6 years in.
* I counted 47 people in general chat when I logged in, with no appreciable slowdown, so that's pretty nice
* Contrary to past PTU's the performance at Port O was completely smooth, no hitching and no crashes. Usually in a PTU I have to race to spawn a ship before the server shits itself.
* The PTU lets you spawn a bunch of new ships. As usual, getting into any ship you don't already know the trick to is a loving nightmare. Some of them are just bugged and spawn without any doors or ramps attached. Fun!
* The luxury Constellation is full of useless gewgaws like a bar and bedroom, and the launchable fighter still doesn't work. 6 loving years.
* The map hasn't been improved at all. If anything it's worse. At least it's easier to read due to the menu changes.
* They've added new planets, waaaay further away than they used to be. QT'ing across the system takes a loving while. I'm talking 5, 10 minutes or more of just staring at blue poo poo. Go make yourself a sandwich, you aren't missing anything. Can't wait until they add 100 systems and you have to travel across them!
*Jumping about halfway across the system ate up all my quantum fuel and left me stranded in space with no way to refuel. So, that's loving fun I guess? Time to kill myself! I'm not sure how you're supposed to travel unless they place gas stations every few minutes on every major route.
*Killing myself caused the game to crash, finally.

Next up, combat.

I like these posts - they're raw. Credit where credit is due, criticism likewise. Just remember how many years and how many millions of dollars it took to get this far, and extrapolate how many more decades and how many billions of dollars they still need.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG calls them truck stops.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

3.3 continues

* Attempting to leave global chat caused an instant black screen crash

* I took an FPS combat mission. The FPS AI... works, I guess? It is extremely jank. The mission literally failed for me before I had finished landing, but the enemies still spawned. Enemies would play the death animation every time they were shot, then immediately pop back up and resume firing. They took something like 4-5 sniper rounds or 2-3 point blank shotgun blasts to kill. They drop their weapons, but they tend to despawn in about 3 second so you can't really loot them. And you are extremely limited in the ammo you can carry- basically 6 mags of about 10 shots each, so enjoy running out of ammo after maybe 2 minutes of fighting. But it did work, so that's... something.

* Tried to take a ship v ship mission after that but my Gladius couldn't use its QT drive at all. Just didn't work. Then the game crashed again.

* Respawned at the wank pod, took a Constellation, flew out to a patrol mission. Eventually I reached the patrol point and was told to "Clear all hostiles" except... there weren't any hostiles. Nothing spawned for me to fight. I couldn't find any other missions that would spawn enemy ships, so I guess I'm SOL there. I will try Arena Commander in a bit.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

I like these posts - they're raw. Credit where credit is due, criticism likewise. Just remember how many years and how many millions of dollars it took to get this far, and extrapolate how many more decades and how many billions of dollars they still need.

Yeah that's kind of the problem. There's some interesting ideas in the game, and some clear hard work has gone into the visuals. But the game design is poo poo, every system is riddled with bugs, and half of the mechanics are just placeholder concepts. If you want to experience 3/4ths of the game you will need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to unlock ships capable of fighting, mining, hauling cargo, etc.

If the game cost 35 dollars in the current state, I would recommend staying away unless you had lots of patience. But it costs hundreds and hundreds. That's why I consider this more of an autopsy than a gameplay report.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just watched the Citcon youtube, what a boring mission. Welcome to commute simulator and lovely platforming, to think it only costed 200,000,000.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
From Astropub's Saturday evening stream:

I found these by doxxing the venue:

At full capacity the hall seats 2442 people; CIG were originally selling 2400 tickets.

That's a lot of empty seats on the top tier :ohdear:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

Mainstream gamers have been onto CIG's BS for the past year or two and this a good comment that gets to the core of a lot of problems. Chris envisions people waking up in their space apartments, making coffee, conducting hygiene, getting a bite to eat, putting clothing on one piece at a time, walking through a maze of hallways to find a mission giver, listening to some horrible hack sci-fi dialogue, walking to train station, waiting 5 minutes for a train to arrive, riding the train to the spaceport, open the door to your spaceship, walk through some more bland hallways, get into your pilot seat, conduct 10 minutes of pre-flight procedures (including balancing your Argon levels), take off, fly for god knows how long to some generic outpost on the planet or space, engage in some janky fps for 5 minutes, get some MacGuffin, carry it to your ship, place it in the cargo bay, fly to some drop off point, land back at the space port, talk to the mission giver again to get a paltry amount of space bucks, engage in post-flight refueling and maintenance and then prepare to do it all over again.

Even if this all works seamlessly, it would involve hours of tedium that would make Elite Dangerous look like a nonstop thrill ride.

So, basically, second life in a sci-fi setting, but until they add female avatars only gay sex.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Long Center is Long

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Midnight Voyager posted:

And then people are like :smuggo: "These problems are solved already or will be solved in testing."

Those comments are things i've been saying for a long time.

"What happens when someone throws something on the rail tracks?" - that's when SC's ultra realistic physics take over and the train goes flying off the tracks and into outer space of course.

And yeah, about the ship being blown up on a planet a long way from anywhere. The backers will tell you to put out a distress call. And what will happen? Maybe nobody will come, because they are too busy grinding for credits. Or, as more likely, someone will come and shoot you for shits and giggles. Or come and wait for someone to come and rescue you then blow your rescuer up and then you for shits and giggles.

The final part is very true. Once (if) the game stops being a dream and becomes a reality, the poo poo is going to hit the fan and the backers are really going to fragment. PvEers vs PvPers. Immersionist vs those who just want to play. We've seen it with ED and other games.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Man, using Removeddit, that /r/games thread is a bloodbath. Currently about a fifth of the comments have been removed by mods.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/lnlGzCs.mp4

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Man, that's one demented person. I would suspect that after that Citizencon there were a number of people who said "Well, ED might have its issues, but at least i don't have to wait 5 minutes for a train"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

More 3.3 notes:

* The rest stops seem to just not exist. I flew to two different ones, only to find nothing there. Had to kill myself both times.

* Basically I think Hurston might be fake, or unreachable. There seems to be no way to fly there directly.

* Arena Commander has a new front end interface. It also appears to hang and crash and have buttons that don't do anything. Fire your loving UI team, Jesus.

* Couldn't get a MP game going so I did a single player match. Honestly the ship combat was fine. Feels like it hasn't changed appreciably since 2016. No observable glitches, and the flight and damage models felt... pretty okay? But the default Hornet only has two guns and time to kill was through the roof. The vanduul ships took literally 15-20 seconds of sustained fire to die, and usually just lost wings and pieces which didn't seem to stop them zipping around. The ships (including your own) are so fast that usually I'd turn towards a guy, snap off half a second of shots and then end up exploding because we rammed each other. It might be one of those things that you overcome as you become a better pilot, but really the weapon range and travel speed felt slower than the movement speed of the ships. As with every other aspect of the game, buying a better ship will probably vastly improve the experience.

* Missiles were working, which was nice. No clue if it's just the game mode or if they'll work in the PTU.

* After that I couldn't get back into the PTU. Seemed like a general problem, lots of people on spectrum complaining about it. Eventually we discovered that if you clicked the button and then waited for 2-3 minutes with no feedback, it would progress to the next screen. Fire your UI team.

* The new R&R station (I finally found it) is nice enough- it's just another generic Star Citizen station, landing pads and shopping mall, but this time with colored lighting. Also it's covered in giant "REPLACE ME" balls because they literally aren't even finishing assets before kicking them out anymore.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2018

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The train thing has been done before. In Star Wars Galaxies (of all things) before they put in space flight there was an interplanetary shuttle you had to take if you were going to a different planet. And it really did come only every 5 or 10 minutes or something. Because it was a Ralph Koster design from that generation of MMOs the idea was it would force you to socialize and make friends so you’d play the game longer. (Like the boat in EQ etc etc)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

I found these by doxxing the venue:

At full capacity the hall seats 2442 people; CIG were originally selling 2400 tickets.

That's a lot of empty seats on the top tier :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I'm parsing the photo versus the floor plan correctly, but it looks to me like the lower/upper balcony are completely empty and the mezzanine is partially empty. I counted the combined upper/lower balcony to have a seating capacity of 665.

Makes you wonder about those reports of 600+ unsold tickets. :confused: Was this one of the keynotes or could the audience have been split between presentations?

boviscopophobic posted:

Tickets continue to sell at an average pace of under 2 per day. When will the spike that sells out Citcon arrive? :ohdear:

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

what the hell is up with that helmet?