Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rolo posted:

I ended up getting in on a deal they were having at REI. After a sale they were having and a coupon an employee donated to me, I got a Passage 2 tent, Stratus sleeping pad, a Trail Pod 30 sleeping bag, two pair of hiking socks and a base layer shirt for 230 bucks.

It all fits really well in my Osprey bag so I feel pretty good to go for the time being.

That should be perfect for starting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

That should be perfect for starting

Awesome. Good to hear.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rolo posted:

Awesome. Good to hear.

I just had the same beginner experience, though I didn't go solo.

Good luck, bud. It should be good fun.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I ended up getting in on a deal they were having at REI. After a sale they were having and a coupon an employee donated to me, I got a Passage 2 tent, Stratus sleeping pad, a Trail Pod 30 sleeping bag, two pair of hiking socks and a base layer shirt for 230 bucks.

It all fits really well in my Osprey bag so I feel pretty good to go for the time being.

Excellent! That's a solid setup that'll happily see you through 3 months of year and supplement you into the fourth, at a great price to boot. That'll be solid gear you can use for years, and let you figure out exactly what you like and can build on to have an even better experience outdoors.

Hiking socks especially are very important, it's good to take care of your feet with a solid pair of wool socks.

If I could make a recommendation, since you've got the Stratus pad, spend the extra fifteen bucks and get the inflator. It keeps moisture out of your pad so it lasts longer, makes setup easier and faster, and doubles a nice pillow to boot!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I never thought about an inflator keeping out the moisture of my breath, that’s a good tip.

Luckily I’ve got some good hiking experience already under my belt so I’ve already gone over the hurdles of finding clothes, shoes and bags I like while avoiding blisters and trapping sweat. I used to live and hike in the Sonoran desert all the time (incredible) and now work has me in places like Jackson Hole, Sun Valley and Aspen more often so I’m getting some good experience hiking in places where moisture and cold exists.

I just can’t wait to add sleeping outside to the mix.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I just can’t wait to add sleeping outside to the mix.

God I love sleeping outside.

I use an orange big agnes inflator sack to inflate my pad.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

Sorry for the delay, finally remembered to check, a Glacier’s Edge 30 degree hooded sleeping bag. It’s just the cheapest POS I could grab at the nearby Fred Meyer for the kids to use for sleepovers or for when we’re just doing a weekend car camping trip or some such.

Cool, thanks. I ended up getting a couple Kelty Galactic 30s and they look like they'll do just fine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I just can't wait to add sleeping outside to the mix.

Sleeping outside is hands down the best part of being outdoors. Just keep in mind that it takes a night or two to get adjusted to it, most people don't sleep well their first time in an unfamiliar environment. Nowadays I sleep far better outside than I do inside.

Just a side note, it's really nice to pack a spare pair of gym shorts and shirt so you've got something clean to sleep in after a long day of hiking and sweating.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone have any experience with travel solar chargers? It would be nice to have something that trickle charges my phone and weighs less than a travel battery.

Also I bought a poop shovel today. Hell yeah.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Get a biolite. Can charge your poo poo and boil you a pot of water.

Por que no la dos?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rolo posted:

Anyone have any experience with travel solar chargers? It would be nice to have something that trickle charges my phone and weighs less than a travel battery.

So, the pros and cons of solar chargers vs. batteries have been hashed out a lot over the years (lots of comprehensive threads on BPL forums about this), but the bottom line is that

-If you're just worried about charging your phone
-If you are going to keep it in airplane mode, just using GPS/maps/camera (i.e. no radio...usually no reception anyway)
-If you are not going longer than 4-5 days between resupply/charging opportunities

Then batteries will be lighter and more reliable than a solar charger.

If you have multiple devices to charge, or want to charge camera batteries, on a longish multi-day hike in relatively sunny terrain, then solar charges can be pretty great, but even then you'll probably want to pair them with a rechargeable battery rather than charging devices directly. They are also a good solution if you will be basecamping out of someplace remote (with no car) for several days and want to charge cameras without needing a zillion batteries.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Excellent! That's a solid setup that'll happily see you through 3 months of year and supplement you into the fourth, at a great price to boot. That'll be solid gear you can use for years, and let you figure out exactly what you like and can build on to have an even better experience outdoors.

Hiking socks especially are very important, it's good to take care of your feet with a solid pair of wool socks.

If I could make a recommendation, since you've got the Stratus pad, spend the extra fifteen bucks and get the inflator. It keeps moisture out of your pad so it lasts longer, makes setup easier and faster, and doubles a nice pillow to boot!

Can anyone suggest me a good brand for hiking socks?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Darn Tough socks are good, I also like Smartwool because you can find them on clearance at REI for half price occasionally.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

Darn Tough socks are good, I also like Smartwool because you can find them on clearance at REI for half price occasionally.

Seconding both recommendations. I swapped out all my day to day socks with darn tough and my feet have never been happier or less sweaty by the end of the day.

Rolo posted:

Morbus nailed it on the head--airplane mode + a decent battery pack (~10,000 mAh) will easily get you through a week, depending. Airplane mode + power saving mode will get me through a weekend of pictures and miscellaneous usage, and a decent (eg Anker) 10,000 mAh battery pack would triple that.

If you are base camping or need to recharge other stuff for a week, I bought the 21w Anker panel for ~60$ new earlier this year for my weeklong hike through the Grand canyon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012YUJJM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4BQVBbMSNMXW1

It did a great job of recharging a battery pack to refuel my GPS tracker watch at night, and keep my phone topped off. I charged it during breaks and long lunches during the day, and as much as I could at camp. The panel charges as fast as plugging it into a good wall charger, for perspective. It'll basically charge as fast as the device will take the charge, but you still need a battery pack so you can let things plug in and sit overnight to charge.

All that being said, I haven't touched it since then, because I just bring a battery pack with me for my weekend trips.

Just a side note, don't get a biolite unless you want to feed a tiny twig fire for hours. With as big as modern batteries are and the low amperage and older USB 5v standard limitation from the stove, it'll take forever to get a meaningful charge, and the dam thing is so much heavier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’m probably just gonna get an Anker battery. That way I’m good on long airplane rides, too.

I did, however, buy some more stuff for weekend hiking:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also yes on Darn Tough. Wear them all year, they somehow keep you the right temperature.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

uncertainty posted:

Can anyone suggest me a good brand for hiking socks?

FCKGW posted:

I like Smartwool and even the much less expensive REI brand. Granted, I don’t have any of their hiking socks that specialize in cold temps. Just basic comfy moisture wicking socks, but they’re great.

E: I’ll have to try Darn Tough socks. Durability has never been an issue when you magically lose a single sock as often as I do.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Smartwool just always felt cheap to me, I dunno. I think I have a pair of thinner black ones that I used to wear to work. I didn't like their skiing/snowboarding socks, I actually have bamboo fiber ones that I use for that. I think that's mostly because they fit my snowboard boots better.

I have a pair of REI brand and they're fine.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Darn tough and exofficio ... Once I bought my first pair of each, they became my new normal. They also last forever. Only difference with my wool socks is height. Shorter in summer, longer in winter. They seem to regulate temperature well and rarely feel wet/damp.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Thanks all, I ordered a pair of smartwool socks, and a pair of darn tough to try them out!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I wear Darn Toughs when it is cold or I'll be doing stream crossings and getting my feet wet.

Otherwise I just use the Injinji toe/liner socks. Really light/thin.

Haven't had any blisters with either since switching to trail running shoes.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

For warmer months, I really like the Darn Tough ultralight running socks. I like how they have a bit of cushion at the bottom of the heel / forefoot but really light fabric elsewhere, especially on top. Most other super light socks I've hiked in with lightweight shoes inevitably wear out really fast from abrasion against the dust that inevitably gets into the shoes, but I've 2 pairs of these that are still somehow like new after a year.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Late to the game, but nthing Darn Tough socks. They also make different weights of weaves, so you can adjust a bit for fit or weather.

For pad-inflater users: how much do you think it extends the lifespan of the pad? Is it worth it from a cost perspective of extending the normal lifespan (and what is that number) versus replacement?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My biggest thing is that if your breath puts moisture into an insulated pad, if temps get cold, you could be decreasing the performance (warmth) of your pad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

My biggest thing is that if your breath puts moisture into an insulated pad, if temps get cold, you could be decreasing the performance (warmth) of your pad.

Someone (you?) mentioned using the pump as a pillow, how decent of a pillow is it because I still need one.

Moving on to food prepping, anybody here ever camp using MRE’s?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MRE's aren't very healthy and seem expensive, but I guess they last a long time and can be prepared easily.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rolo posted:

Someone (you?) mentioned using the pump as a pillow, how decent of a pillow is it because I still need one.

I have, it was really not worth it, in addition to the previous issues, they’re heavy enough that I didn’t think it worth the trade off of not carrying a stove, and if you’re not already used to them, the taste of some varieties can be a little dicey.

Edit: oh yeah, and since every aspect needs to be individually contained, it’s a ludicrous amount of trash to be carrying out, too.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What is a good durable jacket that won't tear? As in I can shove my way through brush while fly fishing and not worry about it. I was thinking something like the kuhl burr jacket https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/outerwear/burr-jacket/ but I'm seeing what other options are out there as I'm gonna try to pick something up used.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 13, 2018

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I've eaten a lot of MREs because of work and I wouldn't recommend paying $8 for them by any means. Get some good purpose-made camping food.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Internet Wizard posted:

I've eaten a lot of MREs because of work and I wouldn't recommend paying $8 for them by any means. Get some good purpose-made camping food.

Any recommendations here? Amazon is kind of overwhelming on the camping food front.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations here? Amazon is kind of overwhelming on the camping food front.

Mountain House stroganoff is a personal favorite, both for flavor and portion size. I also like Alpineaire, they have some good veg/vegan options. If you have an outdoor store nearby go browse their offerings, the bulk/cost/calorie ratio of different meals can vary significantly.

In general, rice meals will take longer to 'cook' than noodles, and sauce/protein the least time of all. Also don't overlook ramen for overnight trips, Shin Ramyun is my go-to for spicy warm meals under $2.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For dinner, mountain house isn't terrible. If you're feeling adventurous you can prepare meals from https://www.trail.recipes/recipe-collection/dehydrated-backpacking-meals/ ahead of time.
I pretty much just pack some starch (couscous & instant potatoes), dried mixed veggies, protein (tvp), oil, and flavor (bullion).

For lunch I usually pack something calorie dense like summer sausage, hard cheese, and tortillas.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oh yeah, I was only thinking about dinner. Oatmeal is breakfast if you want to cook, otherwise it's just another dry meal. I never cook lunches that is always preserved meats/cheese/peanut butter, with crackers or tortillas. I like roasted edamame as a high-protein snack, tinned fish can be good, tuna packets exist... there are a ton of options that don't involve self-heating gimmicks.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
If you want to go super basic, I’ve done a few trips eating dinners of rehydrated beans and powdered eggs or packets of tuna. Throw in some hot sauce packs and it’s entirely palatable, but it’s not much more expensive to get Mountain House, and it’s clearly a much less boring option, plus they have plenty of vegetarian and vegan options if that’s a consideration.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What is a good durable jacket that won't tear? As in I can shove my way through brush while fly fishing and not worry about it. I was thinking something like the kuhl burr jacket https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/outerwear/burr-jacket/ but I'm seeing what other options are out there as I'm gonna try to pick something up used.

Patagonia has a workwear line that they pitch as being very durable. I know nothing more about it than that (I've literally just noticed it on their website), but maybe add it to your things to look at.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rolo posted:

Most go-to backpacking meals revolve around some fast cooking starch (instant rice, fast cooking noodles/pasta, instant mash potatoes, couscous, etc.) with whatever added to make it more tasty--common things to add are cheese or powdered cheese packets, chicken/fish pouches, bacon bits, summer sausage, or seasoning. Mac and cheese with bacon bits is a go to for me because it's light, has a shitload of calories and carbs, is super lazy to prep, can be found anywhere, and is impossible to gently caress up. But if you just google for backpacking recipes you'll find plenty of easy options that don't require you to do a lot of prep or have a dehydrator. Go with something that you can just throw into a pot of hot water and which doesn't require you to pack out a bunch of garbage afterwards. Ideally, meals that can be a bit soupy are good because you don't have to worry about burning poo poo to the bottom of your pot and cleanup is much easier.

If being ultra weight efficient isn't important and you just wan't something quick and lazy, knorr pasta sides or uncle ben's rice pouches are a pretty easy base to start off of, and just throw in whatever you think sounds good with them.

There are pre-made meals you can get but my main complaints for most of those are that they don't have that many calories, they aren't that weight efficient, they are expensive for what they are, and the nutritional profile isn't ideal for a lot of them (not enough carbohydrate).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the food recommendations! I’ve seen a lot about Mountain House online so I think I may try that after hearing from all of you. I’ll probably couple it with a pocket rocket or something similar and call it good.

As for water, does the BeFree still get a good endorsement here? I’d love to just have my 32oz nalgene and keep it topped as a backup with a BeFree 1L filter bottle for solo adventures. It’d be nice not to have to hoof my 3L bladder around for shorter weekend trips.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I use an actual pillow. I use the pump sack to haul dirty clothes back. You could fill it with clothes as a pillow but the fabric is not ideal for a pillow.

As for Mre's, like others have mentioned they are heavy, bulky, have a poo poo ton of packaging, and dont taste entirely great plus they are expensive at $8-10 per meal.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Thanks for the food recommendations! I’ve seen a lot about Mountain House online so I think I may try that after hearing from all of you. I’ll probably couple it with a pocket rocket or something similar and call it good.

As for water, does the BeFree still get a good endorsement here? I’d love to just have my 32oz nalgene and keep it topped as a backup with a BeFree 1L filter bottle for solo adventures. It’d be nice not to have to hoof my 3L bladder around for shorter weekend trips.

The BeFree is still my favorite water treatment method. It's ludicrously fast and easy, provided you remember to clean it with something to kill the bacteria before extended storage, so organisms don't grow up inside and clog it up next time you use it. I found this out the hard way after pulling it out from winter storage for a week in the Grand Canyon, only to find it had slowed to a trickle when needing to treat 3 gallons at a time for a week. I carry sealed aquamira chlorine tabs as backup now, and actually test that kind of gear before major trips now, haha. Also, the Sawyer liter bags are awesome for muling around extra water since they weigh nothing and can easily redistributed in your pack, just fyi.

Food wise, some mountain House meals are better than others. Usually the portioning on them is completely catterwampused though, too much for a single person, not enough for two. The Pro Pack mountain houses are far better portion wise, and vacuum packed for better space in your bag.

However, Packit Gourmet is absolutely killing it on the food department:

https://www.packitgourmet.com

Everything about them, from the taste, portion size, variety, trash control, to the ridiculously tiny amount of water needed for their recipes, blow everything else out of the water. It's not even a competition, Packit Gourmet simply does everything better, and cheaper than the dehydrated food at REI and Walmart. They even have many recipes that are cold rehydrate, so you don't even need a freaking stove, or they work great for a quick no cook lunch, especially if you bring burrito shells to wrap stuff up in.

Protip: Their diner eggs are the best breakfast I've had on the trail, but do but a boil in bag separate and follow the instructions on several of their recipes like that. They either need a skillet or boil in bag to rehydrate the eggs to something resembling a skillet

The All American Works burger and kickin chicken wrap are ridiculously awesome as well... I have yet to have anything I don't love from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

If I could also make a quick pile recommendation, I've made two of these and absolutely love them:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/argon-pillow/

The DIY kits are 10$, take twenty minutes to sew up, and weigh 2.5 ounces. Real pillow game changer, imho.

I also used to use my REI inflator as a pillow since it has some foam inside, which worked nicely for me. The inflator is nice to get done early and prolong the longevity of your pad as well. Worst case, if you don't like it, you've got a year to return it.