Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, they're a cosmic-horror level threat and those can be defeated by the powers of friendship and love in SRW.

And if those don't work, there's always hard work and guts.

Possibly ripping and tearing, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

And if those don't work, there's always hard work and guts.

Possibly ripping and tearing, as well.

I've been playing DOOM for the first time these days, and the Doom MArine would be hard to fit in a SRW but would be amazing.

Just punch the evil energy out of people.

KoB
May 1, 2009
SRW: P(ower Armor) when?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What, you didn't play Srw w?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tae posted:

What, you didn't play Srw w?

Its one of the best, even.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KoB posted:

SRW: P(ower Armor) when?
If that means I can clown on Stilt Man, I'd be down for it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I guess in the MCU even Spider-Man has powered armor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HitTheTargets posted:

Toei Spider-Man robot isn't in SRWXΩ is it?

edit: oh yeah, Marveller, that's what it's called.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Tony Stark literally has a power armor he lends to people as of the last avenger movie

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tae posted:

Tony Stark literally has a power armor he lends to people as of the last avenger movie

He gives one to a kid with literal super powers but his regular rear end friends Blackwidow and Hawkeye dont get one. :thunk:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KoB posted:

He gives one to a kid with literal super powers but his regular rear end friends Blackwidow and Hawkeye dont get one. :thunk:

He isn't really on speaking terms with them by that movie and hasn't been for years.

also his suits are lovely enough he's lost hand to hand fights against regular dudes lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

KoB posted:

Hawkeye wasn't even in the last avengers movie because he's on house arrest.

Black Widow can also handle herself unlike the guy who's just a old white guy who got the buster armor.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Since this is also the robot game thread, Virtual On is back thanks to that crazy Japanese health company guy who tried to crowdfund twin sticks who has now partnered with Sega to port a trio of Virtual On games to PS4 and produce a line of cheaper twin sticks.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1052879055861633024

I'd love to get one myself but they're over $500 here :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gundam Battle Operation 2 now has full English text as a language option(alongside the previous options of Japanese, Korean, and multiple variations of Chinese)

It's also a surprisingly good quality translation too

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

drrockso20 posted:

Gundam Battle Operation 2 now has full English text as a language option(alongside the previous options of Japanese, Korean, and multiple variations of Chinese)

It's also a surprisingly good quality translation too

Oh, poo poo. That's awesome! If it's in English now I'll drop Border Break because I hate fiddling around with Japanese menus.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Are the Z sequels worth it from a replayability standpoint? The whole split-game thing makes it seem really bloated.

Like getting to use Gurren Lagaan sounds great and all, but I like to play my games multiple times once I've got them and I just can't see myself thinking "Hmm I feel like playing Super Robo I think I'll pick Z3 part 1. That one specifically."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Z sequels aren't that great in general, despite my soft spot for (parts of) Z2.

If you want Gurren-Lagann, they're in X, which is probably better, standalone, and has an official translation you should absolutely buy because it's good and had a local goon on it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

X only has post time skip Gurren Lagaan though which means that the series doesn’t really have much to do for the first 80/90% of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

magikid posted:

Are the Z sequels worth it from a replayability standpoint? The whole split-game thing makes it seem really bloated.

Like getting to use Gurren Lagaan sounds great and all, but I like to play my games multiple times once I've got them and I just can't see myself thinking "Hmm I feel like playing Super Robo I think I'll pick Z3 part 1. That one specifically."
The Z2 games are good, but Z2.1 has a slow enough start that I'd only really ever replay Z2.2. Z2.2 replays are pretty fun though, there's a decent amount of route splits and a ton of units.

Also X is good but I really wouldn't buy it for Gurren Lagann. Doesn't Yoko only join on like the third to last map?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Also X is good but I really wouldn't buy it for Gurren Lagann. Doesn't Yoko only join on like the third to last map?
She joins on stage 40.

That's still pretty late but it at least gives you some opportunity to deploy her.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 31, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

The Z2 games are good, but Z2.1 has a slow enough start that I'd only really ever replay Z2.2. Z2.2 replays are pretty fun though, there's a decent amount of route splits and a ton of units.

All the non-Simon Gurren Lagann units join on stage 40/50.

Simon is there for like 90% of the game at least, but they really backload the GL plot and units.

I'm also a little annoyed with how they handled some of it like why the gently caress would you have two people do a suicide sacrifice attack in the same chapter and then 'lol, only Kittan dies for real' while Banjo gets out scott-free?

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 31, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You know, I hope the next game (which I assume, after V and X, will be called Y) still has Expert mode so I can do an all Expert run and see if the extra enemy stats actually make the game something resembling a strategy game, with auras and adjacent bonuses and stuff, instead of a Charge In And Cast Spirits Simulator.

I feel like a lot of the issues with playing SRW for 10 years and counting come down to the GOTTA KILL FAST mentality and I suspect Expert was supposed to be an alternative to that, I just didn't really play Expert in V or X for more than a stage so I don't know if it was successful at that goal.

(Obviously what I really want is for SRW to be Neo again, but I'm being realistic.)

e: also limited upgrades obviously but I always did like the 50% bonuses but never had any truck with the "every maxed unit gets an equip slot for the broken factory stuff" thing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Caphi posted:

The Z sequels aren't that great in general, despite my soft spot for (parts of) Z2.

If you want Gurren-Lagann, they're in X, which is probably better, standalone, and has an official translation you should absolutely buy because it's good and had a local goon on it.

I really liked Z2.1, especially with the LP we had here.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Was it ever explained in Z how Nia survived?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think instead of just dying immediately she goes from being immortal to having a normal lifespan? And she's like "okay cool now Simon and I can grow old together."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alpha 3, they defied instrumentality by just being super motivated.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Caphi posted:

I think instead of just dying immediately she goes from being immortal to having a normal lifespan? And she's like "okay cool now Simon and I can grow old together."

Was it because of Shinka? I know that in X it was because of the Blue Water that she gets to live a normal lifespan

Z3.2 was such a cluster gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not sure if anyone has bothered with this before, but I'm a bit curious if anyone's figured out the longest and shortest Super Robot Wars in terms of component show runtime.

Something with Char's Counterattack, Endless Waltz, Mazinger Infinity, Shin Getter Robo Vs. Neo Getter Robo, Diebuster, FLCL, the Patlabor movies, and Macross Plus, for example, would only have about a day's worth of stuff, while SEED Destiny on its own would add near fifty hours between it and the original.

Probably not the most extensively researched question, but as I said, I'm curious about it.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 5, 2018

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Caphi posted:

You know, I hope the next game (which I assume, after V and X, will be called Y) still has Expert mode so I can do an all Expert run and see if the extra enemy stats actually make the game something resembling a strategy game, with auras and adjacent bonuses and stuff, instead of a Charge In And Cast Spirits Simulator.

I feel like a lot of the issues with playing SRW for 10 years and counting come down to the GOTTA KILL FAST mentality and I suspect Expert was supposed to be an alternative to that, I just didn't really play Expert in V or X for more than a stage so I don't know if it was successful at that goal.
The subject of designing satisfying difficulty in SRW being fairly well-worn by me aside (unless someone really wants to hear it again), I think it's a feature that will likely stay if the next game is developed by the same team because it's a fairly "low effort" difficulty design which just involves raising enemy stat numbers - it honestly felt to me that they only removed Battle Masteries from Expert Mode because they would have to redesign them rather than to offer alternative playstyles that aren't essentially LTC since some could potentially be impossible without the right monetary investments.

Zore posted:

I'm also a little annoyed with how they handled some of it (spoiler)
I think that actually got addressed in one of the streams but the GL one was apparently an license holder mandate and SRW Writers seem to get very passive aggressive when they're faced with adult circumstances (such as the Huckebeins removal in OG 2nd standing out significantly)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Anyone got any guides for playing some of the older SRW games? I've exhausted most of the easy english options (V, X, J, A Portable, Alpha Gaiden) and the ones that got good translation LPs (Z1, W, L, MX, UX).

Are the translated OG GBA games worth playing? I remember bouncing off of them when I tried them a while ago, but I got bit by the SRW bug pretty hard now. I think it was mostly just the mech designs seeming really :effort:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

OG1 suffers from 90% of the units being some sort of gespent.

OG2 is a lot, lot better (closer to J in animation) but a lot harder because the first half of the game is extremely linear.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

OG1 suffers from 90% of the units being some sort of gespent

I'd say this isnt totally a downside.

OG1 is actually pretty interesting in how it's the lowest power SRW ever. You mostly have cobbled together Mass Produced units for much of the game and very few explosive powerhouses.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not a big fan of OG1 but OG2 is good as long as you know that you are in for some marathon boss battles. A couple things to keep in mind are to get SP Regen on every pilot you are using, Fury bypasses boss immunity to status effects (notably Armor Break and Stun) and upgrade your units with team attacks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr Pepper posted:

OG1 is actually pretty interesting in how it's the lowest power SRW ever. You mostly have cobbled together Mass Produced units for much of the game and very few explosive powerhouses.

Hot take: the low mean strength of player units and its effect on the game's difficulty make OG1 the best game in its series from a mechanical standpoint, and the following games are much weaker for giving the player too many strong units.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gespensts are cool.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Except OG2 was much harder than OG1, a game that had crazy power levels on the player side. You can't solely attribute power levels to overall difficulty, it's as much about map and enemy design in strategy games.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rascyc posted:

Except OG2 was much harder than OG1, a game that had crazy power levels on the player side. You can't solely attribute power levels to overall difficulty, it's as much about map and enemy design in strategy games.

I don't mean to say that OG1 was better because it was more difficult per se, but that having a lower over-all mean level of strength contributed to it being a better designed game.

For example, the stage placement and enemy design between the two games isn't vastly different (the biggest difference between the DC, the Aerogaters and the Eisnt in either game are their battle sprites), but even though OG2 doesn't seem to change much, OG1 is much more finely tuned. This is because what makes a good map and what makes an appropriate challenge depend on the players capabilities, and the fact that the player's strength grows at a very level pace in OG1 means that enemy placement and map layout can be much better matched.

Even if you consider OG2 a harder game overall, I think you'll agree that any two levels can vary widely in how difficult they actually are. It's not at all uncommon for one level to be a complete cinch, and the next to be torturous. This doesn't happen to nearly as great a degree in the first game (with the possible exception of stages where getting the bonus points means taking down the Granzon).

It's not that keeping the player weak makes is always better, but that OG1 does a better job of recognizing how strong a player will be going into any given stage, and designs around that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's also boring as hell when a franchise is based around variety and there's no variety

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
OG1 is a very different beast from basically any other SRW. It's the closest SRW has ever gotten to "Fire Emblem with robots" in that instead of a huge pile of flashy but disjoint things where half the fun is seeing how they crash into each other, it's a very coherent, relatively small scale mil-op story about a crew of randos coming together from across the Federation to fight oppressive invading forces, with shadowy assholes of unknown agenda and mysterious power skulking around the wings.

For all the moving parts, the plot is simple: an up-and-coming Federation platoon fights the DC, then the Aerogaters. Weird stuff gets drip-fed in, always contextualized against the baseline - Gespents give way to brightly-colored prototypes, Grungusts and other special mechs are around, and Masaki gets lost his way into the roster. The Schutzwald basically exists to add technological context to the R-2. The first appearance of the Granzon is alarming to every character. Most of the Alpha Numbers have been issued new backstories to fit into the grand unified One Federation setting or fill out the Divine Crusaders.

That's why the Gespensts and Huckebeins are good: not just because they ground the power level, but because they ground the aesthetic.

And then in OG2 it's basically just "Advance and Compact are happening at the same time and RyuKoOh is there," and by MD stuff is just driving through with the only explanation being "there are more aliens, and it's Shu's fault somehow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

OG1 is a very different beast from basically any other SRW. It's the closest SRW has ever gotten to "Fire Emblem with robots" in that instead of a huge pile of flashy but disjoint things where half the fun is seeing how they crash into each other, it's a very coherent, relatively small scale mil-op story about a crew of randos coming together from across the Federation to fight oppressive invading forces, with shadowy assholes of unknown agenda and mysterious power skulking around the wings.

For all the moving parts, the plot is simple: an up-and-coming Federation platoon fights the DC, then the Aerogaters. Weird stuff gets drip-fed in, always contextualized against the baseline - Gespents give way to brightly-colored prototypes, Grungusts and other special mechs are around, and Masaki gets lost his way into the roster. The Schutzwald basically exists to add technological context to the R-2. The first appearance of the Granzon is alarming to every character. Most of the Alpha Numbers have been issued new backstories to fit into the grand unified One Federation setting or fill out the Divine Crusaders.

That's why the Gespensts and Huckebeins are good: not just because they ground the power level, but because they ground the aesthetic.

And then in OG2 it's basically just "Advance and Compact are happening at the same time and RyuKoOh is there," and by MD stuff is just driving through with the only explanation being "there are more aliens, and it's Shu's fault somehow."
Yeah, I agree that OG1 was pretty special and grounded compared to almost any other. I wish OG could be like that again somehow.

edit: in general I think the turning point in SRW game series is when basically every unit becomes a flying unit. I always like it better before then.

• Locked thread