Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vic posted:

Sure I know all that, but: You change your weapons from the pause menu, you can see your character model and the weapon they're carrying at all times, and the picture shows ammo, not the weapon which means you get the same picture for different weapons.
Once you have someone with you, their smaller blob and position visually differentiates the two characters, and definitely doesn't need a permanent nametag. Also low health warning is nowadays done via red screen outline in a more understandable visual language. The re4 blob pulsates when you run out of ammo, when Ashley gets captured and when you're low on health.

I would argue that it's more important to know the ammo you're using, vs how much is remaining for your gun, since if I remember right you can use the same ammo for different guns (might be wrong there).

Also red screen outline pulsing things sucks, I wish games would abandon it.

But yeah I agree that it's not like 2005 got it totally right. There's also a lot less information to communicate in RE4. But, they do condense it down to a single circle, rather than, like, having health be a bar, then adrenaline be a separate bar beneath it, then experience be a different number/bar elsewhere, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
:thejoke: about the same handful of screenshots showing super egregious oversized UIs that get passed around is that it's usually made by someone intentionally loving with the resolution and UI scaling to make the elements as big as possible on top of being taken at unusual moments when the most clutter possible (achievement/experience popups, mission updates, equipment tooltips, etc) is on screen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

That blob is telling you what weapon you have equipped, how much ammo remains, and how much health you have, also being used as an indicator of when your health is low. The reason Leon's name is there is because when you get someone with you, they have their own smaller health meter that tells you how much health they have.

For a game series which loves needless and oftentimes pointless complexity the main gameplay UI in RE4 is extremely utilitarian.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Divinity Original Sin 2

The source vampirism buffet after a big fight. If you've spent all your source points you have to suck off 12 corpses one by one to replenish it all. The vampirism skill should pull the source from all nearby deados if you're not in combat.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can do it in Rogue too. Speaking of which, here's a random screenshot of Rogue's UI, which seems pretty good

And for thread content: why the gently caress does Rogue want me to care about money? It's the easiest resource to get and the hardest to spend, and yet it's the reward from doing so many things.

Also it's padded to hell, even by AC standards. They clearly were trying to reuse assets from Black Flag and III as much as possible, so it's got a short (but decent) main campaign and 3 huge maps full of side content that you will only see a fraction of in the story. It could have been the size of Freedom Cry and lost nothing of importance.

Isn't the money complaint true in pretty much every Assassin's Creed? Can't remember the first one, but as far back as 2, you invested money into rebuilding your castle, which then gave you back more money to invest in rebuilding your castle. Then the castle was fully restored and you just accumulated money with nothing to spend it on.

Thing I found annoying in AC Syndicate was the way your gang was accumulating money, but it would build up in your safe so you had to go and collect it regularly or the safe wouldn't be able to hold any more. Because my character can carry £20,000 on them, but the safe can only hold £5,000.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sunswipe posted:

Thing I found annoying in AC Syndicate was the way your gang was accumulating money, but it would build up in your safe so you had to go and collect it regularly or the safe wouldn't be able to hold any more. Because my character can carry £20,000 on them, but the safe can only hold £5,000.
You should have just ignored the safe, it never gave any good money and each upgrade to it took around 10 hours to be profitable.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God, yeah, it was so easy to get health back in AC1 I could take on like thirty dudes without a problem.

Same but my sex life

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Icochet posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2

The source vampirism buffet after a big fight. If you've spent all your source points you have to suck off 12 corpses one by one to replenish it all. The vampirism skill should pull the source from all nearby deados if you're not in combat.

There's no mod online that'll make it do that? I mean yeah the fact you need to mod that in is a failure but you might as well grab one if there is and save yourself the hassle. :v:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Mods don't usually remove sucking off.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I solved that problem by basically never using the soul points. Too much hassle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

There's no mod online that'll make it do that? I mean yeah the fact you need to mod that in is a failure but you might as well grab one if there is and save yourself the hassle. :v:

There is, it makes the bedroll instantly give you max source points on top of the healing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Safeword posted:

Mods don't usually remove sucking off.

ban for mod sass

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far I'm not a fan of the bounty system in AC: Odyssey. It seems like it starts accumulating way too easily, especially when you're actually doing a quest. Like if I'm killing a guy the game explicitly is telling me to kill that shouldn't raise the bounty.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't the money complaint true in pretty much every Assassin's Creed? Can't remember the first one, but as far back as 2, you invested money into rebuilding your castle, which then gave you back more money to invest in rebuilding your castle. Then the castle was fully restored and you just accumulated money with nothing to spend it on.
It is!

Rogue makes it worse though. In (most of) the previous ones you were dumping money into buildings to get money out of them. In Rogue you can spend ship upgrade materials to increase your monetary income. Ship upgrade materials are actually actually implemented pretty well as a resource. Naval battles are fun, naval battles reward upgrade materials, upgrade materials make you better at naval battles. It's a good gameplay loop: the actual activity you are doing is fun, the rate you get resources at is fast enough to make you see progress but slow enough to continue to give you something to do, and the strength of the upgrades makes them worth caring about.

So why would you sink the materials into buildings (which is something you can do from quite early on)? You can get plenty of money from elsewhere (including naval battles which you are doing anyway). There's literally one instance where buying a mine opens up some tunnels so you can pick up a collectible and I wonder why they didn't do that kind of thing elsewhere.

The game as a whole has a bunch of vestigal systems too. Pub games are in because they were in earlier games, if you want to play checkers or nine man's morris for money. You can pickpocket civilians, with the reward being a tiny bit of money. It's not a bad game but a lot of it doesn't need to exist.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Black Flag had an island base that you could upgrade, it was expensive as gently caress and the rewards for the buildings were completely useless.

Shame because having your own pirate grove would be rad as gently caress if implemented better.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Skies of Arcadia's pirate base was sick as poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

muscles like this! posted:

So far I'm not a fan of the bounty system in AC: Odyssey. It seems like it starts accumulating way too easily, especially when you're actually doing a quest. Like if I'm killing a guy the game explicitly is telling me to kill that shouldn't raise the bounty.

You can just pay off bounties on the map screen by holding Y if you don't want to deal with mercs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Odyssey at least improves from prior titles in that you can now and buy sell he materials needed to upgrade your boat, unlike Rogue which asked you to invest precious materials so you can earn worthless cash, or Syndicate where tons of materials would just sit in your inventory because there was gently caress all use for them beyond crafting.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

There is, it makes the bedroll instantly give you max source points on top of the healing.

Thanks, gonna get this.

e: Dang, doesn't work with the Definitive Edition

Icochet has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Oct 12, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within lets you play Batman as a half-deranged lunatic, but pulls back in a really dumb way whenever you try and make the story take a really bonkers turn. For example, you have to do a QTE to stop one character killing another and if you purposefully fail it a hitherto unseen sniper shoots Batman and you get a game over, or another situation a henchmen just steps into frame and breaks Batman's neck.

I think Detroit: Beyond Human spoilt me for always taking into account my bad decisions and fuckups.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Necrothatcher posted:

Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within lets you play Batman as a half-deranged lunatic, but pulls back in a really dumb way whenever you try and make the story take a really bonkers turn. For example, you have to do a QTE to stop one character killing another and if you purposefully fail it a hitherto unseen sniper shoots Batman and you get a game over, or another situation a henchmen just steps into frame and breaks Batman's neck.

I think Detroit: Beyond Human spoilt me for always taking into account my bad decisions and fuckups.

Yeah, for all the flack that David Cage games get, there's usually some kind of penalty to your decisions. My friend beat heavy rain, then I played it at my place and did some other things, resulting in entirely new scenes, reactions, and content that she had never seen before. I mean the story as a whole moves towards a conclusion (such as the final showdown in Heavy Rain, or the uprising in Detroit, that kind of stuff) but at least it doesn't railroad you as hard as the Telltale games did. Like, I get that they can't go too wild with the plotlines, but when the difference between two branches where different people died entirely is simply a single different line or even, woah, a whole new conversation, and nothing else, then what's the point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some games are just better at presenting the illusion of choice, even if in actuality you can't drastically alter the course of events. Until Dawn is very cool and involving even once you understand the mechanics behind who can live or die in each scene. Telltale games often present these false choices as "that thing you didn't want to happen and explicitly chose against happening happened anyway 5 minutes later" and it's just very frustrating.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess it's a consequence of working with licenses. I reckon there's only so far you can go with Batman before DC and Warner Bros are having second thoughts about your partnership. It probably only takes one executive seeing a scene of Batman allowing someone to get brutally stabbed to death before phone calls are being made to Telltale management.

Whereas if you're working with your own characters like Quantic Dream, Supermassive and Don't Nod do, you can pretty much have them do whatever you want.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
This also explains why Tales from the Borderlands, a game that actually impacts the setting, is a thousand times better than Game of Thrones, where you're explicitly on rails between seasons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, for all the flack that David Cage games get, there's usually some kind of penalty to your decisions. My friend beat heavy rain, then I played it at my place and did some other things, resulting in entirely new scenes, reactions, and content that she had never seen before. I mean the story as a whole moves towards a conclusion (such as the final showdown in Heavy Rain, or the uprising in Detroit, that kind of stuff) but at least it doesn't railroad you as hard as the Telltale games did. Like, I get that they can't go too wild with the plotlines, but when the difference between two branches where different people died entirely is simply a single different line or even, woah, a whole new conversation, and nothing else, then what's the point.

You reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T__n2OXmCmE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Kitfox88 posted:

Skies of Arcadia's pirate base was sick as poo poo.

The base, crew, and ship upgrade system and the way they all interacted was cool provided you were playing with a guide and didn't mind grinding out bullshit to recruit all the party members. The one amnesiac shipwrecked sailor took me forever to find even with GameFAQs at the time because the building he's hiding in is the only time in the game where there is a building in an airship dungeon that you can enter and since said dungeon takes place in a vortex full of debris his cabin looks like random level clutter even of you're looking for it.

The entire ship system in general was in a weird spot because it's its own (rad) combat system and has an entirely separate set of equipment to upgrade as well as collecting and assigning all the different crew members and in the end it's only used for a few boss battles and a small number of optional endgame world map battles. The ship equipment system also has a bunch of themed equipment sets you can collect, some of which are rare drops or expensive to buy, but they all have bad stats and don't visibly change your ship so your only reward for using them is your pirate title on the pause screen changing. Also it commits one of those old school RPG sins of having the ship you use for the first part of the game take all the permanent upgrades you poured into it when story reasons take it away from you forever instead of at least returning them to you to use.on your new ship.

It's one of the reasons the lack of any real successor or sequel stings so much, for a JRPG of its vintage it had a lot of cool forward-thinking ideas and an iteration on that to remove what cruft remains and expand on its ideas could have been really good.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Infinite Space helped scratch my itch for turn based ship combats that were extremely anime but it has a lot of it's own sins.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I recently got to what appears to be the last area of Monster Hunter: World (Elder's Recess) and goddamn I wish it would chill with all the area effects. Of the three monsters I've met there so far, two of them are just completely insufferable about it. One is some kind of lava fish whose main mode of attack is sliding at you on his belly while making GBS threads out streams of damaging lava, or occasionally burrowing underground and making GBS threads out yet more lava. The other curls up into a giant ferris wheel and tries to roll over you at high speeds, and when it's not doing that it's throwing landmines every which way. Both of them tend to prefer areas that consist of narrow cramped tunnels that may also have damaging lava streams in them. So half the time I can't attack the monsters because they're in an unstoppable attack animation, and the other half I'm busy dodging all the environmental hazards and can't really get to them. It feels less like I'm actively hunting and fighting them, and more like I'm pretty much just running in circles until they take a break and graciously allow me to actually attack them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I thought that about Heavy Rain until I saw someone play where they didn't do any optional quicktimes at all, and it turns out you CAN'T die during most of the game. One character in particular is immortal until the very end because he has to be alive for the plot to work.

EDIT: Also I still can't forgive the massive plot holes in Heavy Rain.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Good ol' Scott 'Ironsides' Shelby can take upwards of five gunshot wounds and not even need to go to the hospital.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

This reminds me of an extremely minor complaint I had about the Dark Brotherhood quest in Skyrim: None of your assassinations count as murders tracked by the game in Tracked Stats.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

This reminds me of an extremely minor complaint I had about the Dark Brotherhood quest in Skyrim: None of your assassinations count as murders tracked by the game in Tracked Stats.

Still, it tracks things to some extent. I've probably complained about it before, but when I killed the emperor I got a 40 gold bounty on me for assault.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kitfox88 posted:

Infinite Space helped scratch my itch for turn based ship combats that were extremely anime but it has a lot of it's own sins.

I never got to finish it because it lacked any kind of compass or navigation and the world map was extremely huge so after the third or fourth time I got stumped without knowing where to go I just gave up.

I went into Infinite Space expecting the usual anime plot but what I got was way, way better. Unfortunately,

Jukebox Hero posted:

Good ol' Scott 'Ironsides' Shelby can take upwards of five gunshot wounds and not even need to go to the hospital.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 has a spectacular take on this in its finale. Anywhere else it'd be ridiculous, but there, it was amazing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I never got to finish it because it lacked any kind of compass or navigation and the world map was extremely huge so after the third or fourth time I got stumped without knowing where to go I just gave up.

I went into Infinite Space expecting the usual anime plot but what I got was way, way better.

Don't worry, it falls apart into insanity in the last few hours, which was another complaint I had. But yeah, you absolutely NEED a guide unless you've played before. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantasy XV has way too many dialog triggers in dungeons, it turns into just a neverending conversation that keeps interrupting itself. And it's usually Prompto inciting it.

It makes it especially painful when they decide to actually put story exposition and character development in a dungeon. There's a point where one of your mainstays leave and you're joined for one dungeon instead by Aranea, a dragoon mercenary and best character in the game. For one dungeon you learn about her, where she is right now, what she's got problems with the Empire about, and Prompto interrupts her every single goddamn time to talk about scary bridges or whatever.

Prompto is the worst part of FFXV. I want to buy a version of the game that just takes Prompto out of the entire experience.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The game wouldn't even have a soul anymore though Prompto is the glue holding that group together

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Perestroika posted:

So I recently got to what appears to be the last area of Monster Hunter: World (Elder's Recess) and goddamn I wish it would chill with all the area effects. Of the three monsters I've met there so far, two of them are just completely insufferable about it. One is some kind of lava fish whose main mode of attack is sliding at you on his belly while making GBS threads out streams of damaging lava, or occasionally burrowing underground and making GBS threads out yet more lava. The other curls up into a giant ferris wheel and tries to roll over you at high speeds, and when it's not doing that it's throwing landmines every which way. Both of them tend to prefer areas that consist of narrow cramped tunnels that may also have damaging lava streams in them. So half the time I can't attack the monsters because they're in an unstoppable attack animation, and the other half I'm busy dodging all the environmental hazards and can't really get to them. It feels less like I'm actively hunting and fighting them, and more like I'm pretty much just running in circles until they take a break and graciously allow me to actually attack them.

Wait till you meet Teostra and Lunastra.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I'm playing the first Witcher game, and I feel like I'm getting my $1.50 worth, but I could've done without the dead prostitute mixed in with the sewage in the sewers:

Edit: Yes, it looks exactly like all of the generic "Hooker" NPCs in the game.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The witcher 3 is frequently praised for its improvement in the treatment of female characters, but that's only because CDP's original standards were so low as to make a cesspit blush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Dead prostitutes in the sewers would be okay to depict just how lovely the world is, but the writing in that game is pretty bad and basic so it just comes off as tasteless. It holds no weight in the story. Nobody has any real personality in that game, not to mention the female characters. Also the sex cards.

I like using Game of Thrones as a good popular example of "bad things happen to everyone in this poo poo world" and the Witcher games ain't that.