Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
A dumb meta thing about Final Fantasy XV that has started giving me a laugh:

As Prompto levels up his photography skill, he learns new techniques like selfies and taking photos in-combat, and gets more camera filters. But the game has no concept of how to use those things properly, so over the course of the game his photos get worse. The filters make shots that look gaudy as hell for no real reason, the selfies are never framed in a way that works, and his in-combat shots don't often make much sense to look at. Those more complex shots are also more prone to picking up stuff like clipping errors and other visual glitches, too.

The game's end-of-day photography starts off reasonable, but slowly grows to become exactly what you'd want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Jeza posted:

Not really the thread for it, but Deus Ex: HR was an amazingly polished turd.

They seriously did not understand what made the original cool, or what 'choice' in a game actually entails. The game is literally all about passively funnelling you into a stealthy non-lethal route, gatekeeping all the abilities, both combat and exploration, behind XP unlocks.

Then you realise about 2/3 through that most skills are loving useless, there was no need to min-max remotely, then you get to the end and every choice was loving pointless, nothing makes an interesting difference at any stage. And the ending itself is like straight out of a parody. If any game that year should have had the ME3 ending controversy, it should have been Deus Ex: HR.

Heard they made some better content for it, but I was left with such a sour taste from the main game that I didn't bother.

Yeah I mean I would categorise this post as the crazed ravings of a lunatic. Of course they gatekeep abilities behind XP, it is an RPG. The same thing happened in the original. The press button ending, while bad, is a direct homage to the original Deus Ex. You can play and finish the game any way that you like, and you recieve more for stealthing it because it requires more abilities to do successfully.

Also, the writing and voice acting is movie-level quality, which outstrips every other videogame by a huge margin. Plus the conversation battles you could hack with an aug or complete naturally by thinking about who you are arguing with, their past, and their motivations.

Also, designing your videogame to require min-maxing is a terrible idea because nowadays most people who play AAA games are regular people, not massive nerds.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I would say that while you definitely have the same sort of end of game, pick-an-ending mechanic, HR disguised it way worse by literally just dropping you in front of the Endingtron 5000, where you hit a button, get an ending. That being said HR was pretty good wtf.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I assume the Endingtron thing was forced by the overall more linear levels (compared to DX1) and the need to have a boss fight. DX1's last level was basically a massive complex that hosted three different sets of objective chains, and which one you completed determined which ending you got. DX:HR has a linear final level with short branch-offs to resolve dangling plot threads, which then unlock different buttons in the Endingtron.

It probably would have worked better if instead of the Endingtron, the NPCs you'd helped out came running up and you chose an ending by choosing which NPC to side with or saying "gently caress you, I'm going alone". I mean, it's the exact same thing mechanically, but at least you're interacting with someone rather than pushing a button.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked that they include a "gently caress it kill em all I'm not choosing" ending, one of the very few good ideas worth borrowing from Invisible War.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Silent Hill 2 is how I prefer games with multiple endings would handle it, just make them the ultimate extension of the behavior you've expressed through the last 10+ hours of gameplay. And that game is 17 years old!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

haveblue posted:

I liked that they include a "gently caress it kill em all I'm not choosing" ending, one of the very few good ideas worth borrowing from Invisible War.
It fits with with what all the poo poo Jensen had to go through up to that point too, i.e. finding out almost everyone he trusted aside from Malik and Pritchard were just using him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4 cats and dogs: You can play with a laser pointer with your cat, and depending on your mood the light changes. If you're happy its a green fish, confident its a blue star, flirty its a pink heart :3:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

Silent Hill 2 is how I prefer games with multiple endings would handle it, just make them the ultimate extension of the behavior you've expressed through the last 10+ hours of gameplay. And that game is 17 years old!

I love that game for that. My first time playing it I got the In Water ending because I kept looking at items like the knife and locations like roof edges and running around at half health. I was looking for clues and secret paths and conserving healing items for when I really needed them, but it makes sense that if James were really doing those things, he is probably thinking pretty hard about dying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I also got Water and I feel like that's the "truest" ending to Silent Hill 2, probably because whenever a game tells me to go somewhere I instinctually walk in the exact opposite direction first, just in case there's something missable.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
IIRC Water is canon, its brought up in Silent Hill 4.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Leal posted:

IIRC Water is canon, its brought up in Silent Hill 4.
It's not. There is no canon ending to 2 because no matter what James is not going to go back to his old life after what he did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

A dumb meta thing about Final Fantasy XV

You can turn off the filters which id heartily recommend.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

It's not. There is no canon ending to 2 because no matter what James is not going to go back to his old life after what he did.

Its hard to go back to your old life after driving into the water :v:

But I swore if you investigate one of the pictures in Henry's room he mentions Frank Sutherland's son went to Silent Hill and was found in the lake.

From Earth's Let's Play pointed it out but it has mysteriously vanished from the lparchive when I went to check for the picture :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Its hard to go back to your old life after driving into the water :v:

But I swore if you investigate one of the pictures in Henry's room he mentions Frank Sutherland's son went to Silent Hill and was found in the lake.

From Earth's Let's Play pointed it out but it has mysteriously vanished from the lparchive when I went to check for the picture :confused:

It's mentioned that he went missing but nothing more.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Tomb Raider reboot was made fun of because Lara would explore an ancient tomb and find pieces for modern weapons; in Rise of The Tomb Raider they changed things a bit: Instead, you find information that helps her hone her abilities. A Mongol book details archery techniques that help her shoot faster, a cavern where a legendary smith worked has documents that improve the foraging of natural resources and so on.

Of course, there still are some pieces of an "Ancient Bow" to be found, but at least they tried a little bit.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Samuringa posted:

The Tomb Raider reboot was made fun of because Lara would explore an ancient tomb and find pieces for modern weapons;

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

The Tomb Raider reboot was made fun of because Lara would explore an ancient tomb and find pieces for modern weapons; in Rise of The Tomb Raider they changed things a bit: Instead, you find information that helps her hone her abilities. A Mongol book details archery techniques that help her shoot faster, a cavern where a legendary smith worked has documents that improve the foraging of natural resources and so on.

Of course, there still are some pieces of an "Ancient Bow" to be found, but at least they tried a little bit.

I've learned what I can from these ancient tomes. Perhaps I should leave them here on these sacred grounds?

lol, yeah right. I'll find a good home for them on one of my coffee tables somewhere.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Best part of Rise was all the Byzantine stuff.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm playing Escape From Butcher Bay and every single bit of dialog from Riddick is a cheesy one-liner and I love it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jeza posted:

Heard they made some better content for it, but I was left with such a sour taste from the main game that I didn't bother.

It's fine, though the "improved boss fight" is overrated. Though now it exists in an awkward state because it was re-inserted into sequence with the main game for the Director's Cut, loving up the pacing all kinds of awful. Same thing happened with Assassin Creed 2's missing chapters. Glad that concept seems to have died out.

HR is a mess on a lot of levels but it landed in a sweet spot of immersion, style, and theme. Also a loving amazing soundtrack. Plus the genre was kind of dead so seeing a studio put out a slick, high quality release was a huge deal.

I always thought the final boss of HR should've been a word fight. The encounter with Darrow is already kind of that, but then the game keeps going.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Escape from Butcher Bay is one of those things that turned out way better than it had any right to be.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite little thing about Escape From Butcher Bay was that apparently Vin Diesel went and made his own game company just to make it.

E: And this led to the knowledge that Vin is a swole nerd who plays DnD

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Leal posted:

My favorite little thing about Escape From Butcher Bay was that apparently Vin Diesel went and made his own game company just to make it.

Vin Diesel's own game studio to make games that feature Vin Diesel.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leal posted:

There's a reason Chuck Norris facts were originally Vin Diesel facts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vin Diesel is the nerd that I want to be. Buff, rich and can actually make the game I want instead of using a 75% discounted copy of RPG Maker.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Screaming Idiot posted:

There's a reason Chuck Norris facts were originally Vin Diesel facts.

Magoo paid for this horror he unleashed with his life

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know why Vin never caught on more as an action star. I think he's a fine actor.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

I don't know why Vin never caught on more as an action star. I think he's a fine actor.

I mean the Fast and the Furious franchise seems to have been pretty successful for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the Fast and the Furious franchise seems to have been pretty successful for him.

He and The Rock apparently have such a feud they can't even film scenes together and it may be causing him to lose out on sequels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Every time he makes a big franchise hit he takes the power that grants him in Hollywood and spends it on making a passion project which is almost invariably terrible.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
He's using the Bethesda approach of using the money from profitable, bland projects and pouring them into weird, fun projects. I respect that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Riddick films and games have consistently been pretty solid passion projects. Even the worst of them are fun or interesting in their own way. Chronicles of Riddick is such a glorious trainwreck of a film and Assault on Dark Athena is a first half of a really loving good sequel to Escape from Butcher Bay with a half-baked action half tacked on at the end of it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Cleretic posted:

A dumb meta thing about Final Fantasy XV that has started giving me a laugh:

As Prompto levels up his photography skill, he learns new techniques like selfies and taking photos in-combat, and gets more camera filters. But the game has no concept of how to use those things properly, so over the course of the game his photos get worse. The filters make shots that look gaudy as hell for no real reason, the selfies are never framed in a way that works, and his in-combat shots don't often make much sense to look at. Those more complex shots are also more prone to picking up stuff like clipping errors and other visual glitches, too.

The game's end-of-day photography starts off reasonable, but slowly grows to become exactly what you'd want it to be.

This is one of the selfies he took in my game and I swear to God he just wanted to emulate that PT teaser demo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The riddick franchise started because he somehow talked somebody into writing his DnD character into a Bradbury adaptation.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

rodbeard posted:

The riddick franchise started because he somehow talked somebody into writing his DnD character into a Bradbury adaptation.

Didn't he get Judi Dench to play DnD with him on the set of Chronicles of Riddick?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Don Gato posted:

Anecdotally, after a Persian king beat an Egyptian army, he taunted the prisoners by throwing cats at them.

Truly history's greatest monster

The ancient sources for the battle itself aren't great, and the bit about throwing cats appears to be a recent invention.

http://elektratig.blogspot.com/2014/01/did-cambyses-have-cats-nailed-to-his.html

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Oct 15, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe vin diesel is upset because f&f is so far away from what it was. Feuds with the rock because he wants it to be a car passion project instead of superhero action movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o
Vin Diesel playing DND with voice actor Matt Mercer dungeon mastering