Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No price is too much for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ah, jeez. Does the choice you make in chapter 16 affect you in the postgame?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Ah, jeez. Does the choice you make in chapter 16 affect you in the postgame?

you can get everybody back eventually

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Raz is still a jackass, but sometimes he's an awesome jackass.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is a promotion to Corporal the only way to see somebody's full bio?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Valkyria Chronicles 4: Raz fucks everything up constantly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Odin is loving amazing. GOD STRIKE

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 14, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Valkyria Chronicles 4: Claude needs better friends

Raz: enough said
kai: betrays and attempts to kill him
leena: spies against him
Riley: created wmd tech

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got the bronze medal of honor after the bread and bacon battle, so it was like HQ was happy that its own army was beating itself up for no reason.

Also was not expecting Minerva's direct command and tank rush right off the bat, and I focused too much on trying and failing to take her down. Scrambling to recover from a tank camping your spawn and a night invincible scout harassing everyone sure is something. Fortunately the rest of the map was easy.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Are Vyse, Aika and Fina back?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I got the bronze medal of honor after the bread and bacon battle, so it was like HQ was happy that its own army was beating itself up for no reason.

Also was not expecting Minerva's direct command and tank rush right off the bat, and I focused too much on trying and failing to take her down. Scrambling to recover from a tank camping your spawn and a night invincible scout harassing everyone sure is something. Fortunately the rest of the map was easy.

The trick with infantry bosses is to have units that can keep on getting flanking attacks and then stuff infantry attack boosts into your stormtroopers and go to town with them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

The trick with infantry bosses is to have units that can keep on getting flanking attacks and then stuff infantry attack boosts into your stormtroopers and go to town with them.

I'm not sure how you're using the shocktroopers there since she seemed to always be turning to face me as soon as I took control of a unit, even if she was most of the way turned around. Maybe they were too close. I was able to hit her with Riley who I had run way out of her range. Is it a matter of running people behind buildings to then run back in later?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you shoot at them to make them face one way, then you use a second person to shoot them in the back of the head. if they are still alive after that you can use your first guy shoot them from behind again. boss evasion is complete bullshit but surprise attacks still bypass it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

I'm not sure how you're using the shocktroopers there since she seemed to always be turning to face me as soon as I took control of a unit, even if she was most of the way turned around. Maybe they were too close. I was able to hit her with Riley who I had run way out of her range. Is it a matter of running people behind buildings to then run back in later?

Scouts can see 240' around them, so it's very easy to get into a situation where Minerva can track you. The best way to generally deal with bosses is to dump a smokescreen on top of them, then you can safely run a stormtrooper around to their back and shoot them repeatedly in the head.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Are Vyse, Aika and Fina back?

Not in the main game, but maybe they'll show up in the Squad 7 DLCs.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Infantry boss evasion can also be countered with the apc. Just give them a gentle poke with your bumper and they will tend to stand up with their back to you(I think the game assumes you will do something like keep driving past or something since they would be looking at you if you did).

Then it's a simple matter of having the pacifist murder them with his machine gun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is Azusa a Kickstarter backer character

she's like Odin but played completely straight

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Is she? I don't remember her battle lines, but I thought her thing was kind of sucking at the femme fatale act and instead just being genuinely kind of a freak.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Then it's a simple matter of having the pacifist murder them with his machine gun.

No idea what he means when he claims he is a pacifist, his goal between transporting mortars, snipers and lancers to the back is to also hose down infantry on the way.

Really Pants posted:

Is she the warrior from the east or the creepy otaku -dere bait character?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

the first one

for the second you'll need to be more specific

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i assume that's lily

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Leal posted:

No idea what he means when he claims he is a pacifist, his goal between transporting mortars, snipers and lancers to the back is to also hose down infantry on the way.

If you mean the one that is friends with Odin and says stuff like “cursed you” as she machineguns people in the face, that’s Lily. She is good and my friend.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am a big fan of the squad stories as they do force you to try and approach situations that you would usually handle very differently.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Except the one with the three troopers on probation. That one plays exactly as you would expect to.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Why is this game like seventy bucks?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Why is this game like seventy bucks?

Typical AAA price isnt it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought the only place where people question why a new game costs new game prices was steam.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought somebody posted somewhere how to unlock the various squad stories, but I'm not finding it in the last few pages. Anyone know where that was?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

I thought somebody posted somewhere how to unlock the various squad stories, but I'm not finding it in the last few pages. Anyone know where that was?

You need to have the right group of three soldiers on your roster, get far enough in the campaign, and promote one of the three to Corporal by spending 20 CP on them (or 40 CP in skirmishes). Here's the whole list of squad story groups, and the earliest you can unlock them:

Chapter 3: Godwin/Rosetta/Nico, Jester/Teresa/Connor, Fleuret/Rebecca/Mabel(requires 3 other squad stories completed), Curtis/Laurent/Eileen(requires Curtis to be KO'd and rescued once), Emmy/Viola/Simon(requires 5 medals)
Chapter 4: Stanley/Ferrier/Jean, Dan/Aulard
Chapter 5: Odin/Lily/Jimmy, Zaiga/Vancey/Gertrude(requires 1,000,000 DCT on hand)
Chapter 6: Millennia/Brittany/Rita
Chapter 8: Ronald/Ryan/Keigel, Aladdin/Leonhardt/Neige
Chapter 9: Hanna/Jascha/Aoife, Azusa/Scott/Norid

There are three others for characters you can only get after beating the game.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 15, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leal posted:

I thought the only place where people question why a new game costs new game prices was steam.

The people that usually ask have 3 bans

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hunt11 posted:

I am a big fan of the squad stories as they do force you to try and approach situations that you would usually handle very differently.

they would

except they don't scale at all or preset levels and poo poo so I just rush in and kick in heads. Minerva's was difficult because it did, though that was also post-game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, if a character has a special rank(i.e Lieutenant) you can activate them the same number of times to unlock the side story. Which is important for one of the bonus character sets where everyone involved has a special rank

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Really Pants posted:

You need to have the right group of three soldiers on your roster, get far enough in the campaign, and promote one of the three to Corporal by spending 20 CP on them (or 40 CP in skirmishes). Here's the whole list of squad story groups, and the earliest you can unlock them:

Chapter 3: Godwin/Rosetta/Nico, Jester/Teresa/Connor, Fleuret/Rebecca/Mabel(requires 3 other squad stories completed), Curtis/Laurent/Eileen(requires Curtis to be KO'd and rescued once), Emmy/Viola/Simon(requires 5 medals)
Chapter 4: Stanley/Ferrier/Jean, Dan/Aulard
Chapter 5: Odin/Lily/Jimmy, Zaiga/Vancey/Gertrude(requires 1,000,000 DCT on hand)
Chapter 6: Millennia/Brittany/Rita
Chapter 8: Ronald/Ryan/Keigel, Aladdin/Leonhardt/Neige
Chapter 9: Hanna/Jascha/Aoife, Azusa/Scott/Norid

There are three others for characters you can only get after beating the game.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

they would

except they don't scale at all or preset levels and poo poo so I just rush in and kick in heads. Minerva's was difficult because it did, though that was also post-game.

Most don't feel too out of place as long as you are using those units, and some that are wildly out of sync kind of have to have weaker enemies. For example one of the ones you get with the unlockable characters would be hell if the enemies properly scaled with you.

Spoilers for post game stuff gently caress the sheer amount of gattling guns it has. I had almost did it perfectly and just had one last weak spot to attack but then of course it is able to take down the apc from full health just as it moves about the battlefield.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, the mission in chapter 6 is a doozy and my first outright failure. It feels like I'd have to way overcommit resources to taking out Walz' tank, but if I don't take out at least his gatling gun he can run over everything even easier. The mortar support order makes putting too many defenders on a camp a bad idea, but it feels like that many are needed to deal with all the reinforcements. I am guessing I need to keep the Hafen in the mid field and maybe spawn a bunch of lancers on the top camp once part 2 starts since I guess Walz hits there first. Can a lancer in the tower up there hit his weak point? AT grenadiers seem unable to, though maybe I'm just unlucky on that.

Edit: Reading back, it appears the lancers in towers is indeed the thing to do.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 15, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can do lancers in a tower, but lancers doing support fire with hafen is better. the problem with walz is that his weak point isn't all that weak, so it is better to spam him with attacks.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

chumbler posted:

I am guessing I need to keep the Hafen in the mid field and maybe spawn a bunch of lancers on the top camp once part 2 starts since I guess Walz hits there first. Can a lancer in the tower up there hit his weak point? AT grenadiers seem unable to, though maybe I'm just unlucky on that.
That's what I did. I parked the Hafen just south of the northest camp so he couldn't pass and blast away my units in the middle of the map and called two lancers for reinforcements. Next turn I just blasted him three times with a lancer with support fire from both the second lancer and the Hafen. Also I didn't thought about putting a lancer in a watchtower, now I feel dumb.

e:f,b :argh:

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Man, the mission in chapter 6 is a doozy and my first outright failure. It feels like I'd have to way overcommit resources to taking out Walz' tank, but if I don't take out at least his gatling gun he can run over everything even easier. The mortar support order makes putting too many defenders on a camp a bad idea, but it feels like that many are needed to deal with all the reinforcements. I am guessing I need to keep the Hafen in the mid field and maybe spawn a bunch of lancers on the top camp once part 2 starts since I guess Walz hits there first. Can a lancer in the tower up there hit his weak point? AT grenadiers seem unable to, though maybe I'm just unlucky on that.

Edit: Reading back, it appears the lancers in towers is indeed the thing to do.

I just used two AT grenadiers with Demolition Boost and an engineer to wear him down, since it seemed like nothing would deal serious damage to him. Killing the Vulcan will also stop the reinforcements so it's not overkill as long as you take him out quick.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 15, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's easy enough to take both camps by turn 2, but it's better to do it on turn 3 and spend the extra cp setting up an ambush for where he spawns. of course, if you are too close you also need to kill the two mortars before walz or else they will gently caress up your support attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Lancers getting involved in support file is incredibly effective in this game...