Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I was on vacation all week did I miss anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Emron posted:

Tua is dead

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Emron posted:

https://twitter.com/Tbo280/status/1051117113296019458

in retrospect, an omen

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Tua is dead

No :ohdear:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Probably Magic posted:

Remember that time back in wanna say 2008 that Kansas beat the poo poo out of Nebraska.
Probably 2007 when Kansas and Mizzou were the top of the Big 12 and Nebraska had a very lovely season.

SB Nation had a deep dive on how wacky 2007 was in CFB. The #2 team constantly lost, Nebraska and ND had their worst seasons in decades, Alabama lost to Louisiana-Monroe, and a 2 loss LSU team won the Natty.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/2007-college-football-season

Those 2 LSU losses? They lost in triple overtime to *checks notes* Kentucky and Arkansas.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee beat a ranked opponent

Is that allowed?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CannonFodder posted:

Probably 2007 when Kansas and Mizzou were the top of the Big 12 and Nebraska had a very lovely season.

SB Nation had a deep dive on how wacky 2007 was in CFB. The #2 team constantly lost, Nebraska and ND had their worst seasons in decades, Alabama lost to Louisiana-Monroe, and a 2 loss LSU team won the Natty.

Those 2 LSU losses? They lost in triple overtime to *checks notes* Kentucky and Arkansas.

Yeah, it was 2007, the year before I started attending. 2008 did see a 52-21 drubbing of K-State though, so that's cool. Those Ron Prince years owned.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

hes not dead but one of his knees is in active rebellion and must be processed

dont start him vs tennessee nick

we dont even have to win that game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Scionix posted:

hes not dead but one of his knees is in active rebellion and must be processed
read: a booster needs to fly him to Europe and pump him full of HGH

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

If it helps only one of them was to a WR. Three to tight ends, one to a running back, and one to a fullback.

Still weird as hell though. And he had 4 last week! It's the first time an Iowa QB has thrown for over 300 yards in consecutive games since 2004, a season in which we notably lost 6 running backs to injury and basically had to become the world's ugliest air raid team on the fly.

Fant is so good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don’t think UGA losing was particularly surprising considering we have started slow every game this year, and eventually figuring out some semblance of an offense to put up points, and our defense was leaky against literally everybody. I think the most frustrating thing was that the coaching was flat out terrible. Kirby went to half time with two time outs in his pocket instead of using them when we had a few key stops deep in the second and when we did put fields in we would often put him in for one play and sub him out, and that play was literally the same play every time. I know Fields probably doesn’t have the whole playbook down, but if he doesn’t have enough to run more than a basic RPO where he hands off the ball, I dunno what to say. We also were gashing LSU with our run game, especially with Holyfield, but we seemed to abandon the run game. The fake field goal was seen from 50 miles away and trying a fake philly special on a two point conversion when we just needed points and the game hadn’t gotten fully out of hand by then was a bit ill advised. I don’t really know what the long term answer is, I don’t know if it’s fields coming in and having more control, I don’t know if the movement of Cheney from Qb coach to tight end coach had hurt development, or we are just young on defense and have to wait a year for them to carry us again.

Thats a lot of words but this game was a long time coming for us and I’m not even mad, just confused at what we do next.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AsInHowe posted:

Like all of you, I miss Big Bob Pataki

did bobbo kick it or just retire

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Meanwhile somewhere in the Big 10...

quote:

Rutgers threw two completions and five interceptions, making it the first team since at least 1996 to have three more INTs than completions.

The Scarlet Knights finished 2-for-17 for eight yards and five interceptions in a 34-7 loss to Maryland. Rutgers quarterback Artur Sitkowski entered Saturday with an FBS-most 11 interceptions. He threw four more against the Terrapins. The last non-option team with at least two more interceptions than completions in a game was Duke against Virginia Tech in 2008 (two completions, four interceptions).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Grittybeard posted:

Feels like you almost have to explicitly try to be that bad. Geez.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

They were playing powerhouse Maryland.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

jesus christ northwestern has been having the worst year for them in like, five and they're ON TOP OF THE DIVISION?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Raku posted:

jesus christ northwestern has been having the worst year for them in like, five and they're ON TOP OF THE DIVISION?

Their loss against Akron was a fluke where they had three turnovers returned for touchdowns in a half. The rest has been standard operating procedure for them, though Larkin’s retirement will ultimately cost them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/cj_weiss/status/1051267627090366465?s=21

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CannonFodder posted:

2007 was a loving weird season.

I remember Rutgers was like the #3 team at one point.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

This is the first loss of the Richt era that has me waking up upset. That loss was all on him and I understand George fans better now. The defense played at a championship level and Richt's garbage decisions made it all wasted.

Who runs a FB dive 3 plays in a row. They made it clear they were keyed on it. Bootleg out and it's a TD.

Why bench Perry? Let him take his lumps and learn. Rosier played worse. Also, why not give perry any easy throws to bring him along and give him a chance?

Why did the offense take 4 minutes to score when down 10 with 7 minutes left in the game? The clock ran down on almost every play.

Our defense had 3 INTs, 4 sacks and a poo poo ton of TFLs. This wasn't on them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CannonFodder posted:

Undefeated in regulation with a drat strong football team. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKVvILygXY&t=8s

Have a great day.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What is the long term solution for targeting?

As someone who didn’t play and honestly doesn’t understand the “they’re trying to reteach tackling” there’s always people mad about RBs dropping their head at the last minute. I get both sides, and there’s always going to be people blaming penalties/refs but this as-aggressive-as-you’re-going-to-get from a coach sums up my thoughts:

quote:

“The thing that is difficult to coach and teach is, when a defender has already gone into position to make a tackle,” Odom said, “... and also the ball-carrier, at the last minute, lowers as well to try to get a couple more yards or inches or whatever it is — when you’ve already gone into position to make a tackle and the ball-carrier does that after you’ve already gone into position, it’s really hard to get into position where it’s not a targeting.”

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

vikingstrike posted:

Feels like you almost have to explicitly try to be that bad. Geez.

Especially for a team that doesn't run the option. If GT had 2 completions and 5 INTs I would wonder why they threw the ball 7 times.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Except the defender is never allowed to lead with the crown of the helmet no matter where they’re aiming on the ball carrier, and helmet to helmet is otherwise legal on a non-defenseless player (like a RB running with the ball). Just keep your head up and it doesn’t matter whether the RB goes low or not.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don' know how or why, but northwestern is somehow going to beat rutgers in overtime

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Northwestern is beating Notre dame

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Metapod posted:

Northwestern is beating Notre dame

I certainly hope so.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

Except the defender is never allowed to lead with the crown of the helmet no matter where they’re aiming on the ball carrier, and helmet to helmet is otherwise legal on a non-defenseless player (like a RB running with the ball). Just keep your head up and it doesn’t matter whether the RB goes low or not.

Yeah. Targeting calls decreased drastically after the first year and the reason is only shitheads are still doing it.

It was straight up a good rule once they got rid of the yardage penalty on overturned calls, and it's 1000x better than the stupid poo poo the NFL is doing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

Fant is so good.

He might not even be the best college TE on the team either

Raku posted:

I mean the season is 3 games old for most of the conference

Anyway they always start slow with at least one inexplicable loss and then somehow win 7 games in OT or whatever. As mentioned that Akron game is one of the flukier losses anyone has had this year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 14, 2018

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Ehud posted:

the florida gators

are the best of the big 3 in florida

And only the 2nd best team in the state!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Henchman of Santa posted:

I believe it was Marquis de Pyro who called him a "hate golem" and it's really stuck with me as the best descriptor

If I did I stole it from the internet, I've definitely seen it around for years.

In a weird way, it's kind of too bad, I think Dantonio is a fantastic coach but he actually does get the DISRESPECT (that he secretly feeds on of course) because of his miserable attitude.

I think way more Michigan fans would admit Tressell and Meyer are all time great coaches than Dantonio, which is a shame.

On the other hand, I hope he dies soon.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/MattBrownCFB/status/1051458954075758593?s=19

Louisville is getting a really good coach next year

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I still can’t believe we won that game. Tennessee hasn’t beaten an SEC West opponent on the road since 2004 against Ole Miss.

Playcalling was suspect at times but Guarantano was 8/8 168 yards with a TD on 3rd and long.

I like the fight in these guys. If Butch is still here we don’t win that game.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don’t think UGA losing was particularly surprising considering we have started slow every game this year, and eventually figuring out some semblance of an offense to put up points, and our defense was leaky against literally everybody. I think the most frustrating thing was that the coaching was flat out terrible. Kirby went to half time with two time outs in his pocket instead of using them when we had a few key stops deep in the second and when we did put fields in we would often put him in for one play and sub him out, and that play was literally the same play every time. I know Fields probably doesn’t have the whole playbook down, but if he doesn’t have enough to run more than a basic RPO where he hands off the ball, I dunno what to say. We also were gashing LSU with our run game, especially with Holyfield, but we seemed to abandon the run game. The fake field goal was seen from 50 miles away and trying a fake philly special on a two point conversion when we just needed points and the game hadn’t gotten fully out of hand by then was a bit ill advised. I don’t really know what the long term answer is, I don’t know if it’s fields coming in and having more control, I don’t know if the movement of Cheney from Qb coach to tight end coach had hurt development, or we are just young on defense and have to wait a year for them to carry us again.

Thats a lot of words but this game was a long time coming for us and I’m not even mad, just confused at what we do next.

I mean, we are young on defense, and we knew that the offense would have to bail us out a lot this season even with losing one of the best RB tandems in college football history. So far that's worked on a level around "annoyingly successful," but you could see yesterday's meltdown coming from a mile away. At least this loss feels better than the Auburn one last year – in that one, we looked thoroughly inferior, in this one, we looked like a talented team that couldn't get its head out of its rear end.

Bye week's coming at a good time. And there needs to be a whole lotta soul searching from the staff, who got their nuts stuffed in a salad shooter by Ed Orgeron. Our offensive gameplan right now is a loving mess and doesn't need to be. Fromm was brutal yesterday; there were ways to mitigate that and the Dawgs just...didn't. At all.

Also, now I can die a completed man having now seen Rodrigo Blankenship attempt to run past NFL-worthy defenders. What in the world.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

Petrino's buyout is massive, they probably can't afford to get rid of him right now with all the other poo poo going on at the university:laugh:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dilber posted:

This is the first loss of the Richt era that has me waking up upset. That loss was all on him and I understand George fans better now. The defense played at a championship level and Richt's garbage decisions made it all wasted.

So the thing about Richt calling plays – I assume Thomas Brown is only OC in name only – is that when he was doing that at UGA, those were his best teams. But it was almost always in spite of the offense, not because of it. Score a TD on a long, long drive, kick a couple field goals, get the margin to a precarious 13, and turn the game over to Pollack and Thurman and the boys. Defensive talent was so dynamite that the Dawgs still won a ton of games, but blew a few (Florida) crucial ones (Florida) because of ponderous offensive playcalling (Florida).

Defense eventually went to poo poo because everyone graduated and Brian VanGorder begat Willie Martinez, and then all of a sudden you couldn't hide Richt's red zone meltdowns anymore. And eventually Richt had an emotional breakdown about handling OC/HC before the '06 Auburn game and gave the keys to Mike Bobo. Who was great when he had Stafford and Knowshon, then wasn't when he didn't, then gradually great again when he had Murray and Gurshall. This seemed like the right move at the time, and in a vacuum it was, but Richt didn't handle the CEO HC model well and a whole lotta stuff slipped around the program and Schottenheimer and S&T and recruiting and etc., etc., we've been through this all before.

So you're left with a paradox. Richt being hands on as offensive coordinator keeps his head in the game and his passion high. But he....hasn't been a good offensive coordinator since 90s FSU. So what do you do?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

D.N. Nation posted:

I mean, we are young on defense, and we knew that the offense would have to bail us out a lot this season even with losing one of the best RB tandems in college football history. So far that's worked on a level around "annoyingly successful," but you could see yesterday's meltdown coming from a mile away. At least this loss feels better than the Auburn one last year – in that one, we looked thoroughly inferior, in this one, we looked like a talented team that couldn't get its head out of its rear end.

Bye week's coming at a good time. And there needs to be a whole lotta soul searching from the staff, who got their nuts stuffed in a salad shooter by Ed Orgeron. Our offensive gameplan right now is a loving mess and doesn't need to be. Fromm was brutal yesterday; there were ways to mitigate that and the Dawgs just...didn't. At all.

Also, now I can die a completed man having now seen Rodrigo Blankenship attempt to run past NFL-worthy defenders. What in the world.

LSU just got after us on every phase of the game. The game felt like they should have won by more than 20. Props to them for making it look like the rankings of each team were flipped the wrong way. If we play that way in 2 weeks, Florida is going to win by 14+. Yesterday reminded me a lot of Chaney's first year in Athens, just bad stubborn play calling. It's clear there was no "playing conservative for this 4 game stretch". The offense just isn't there.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
It's snowing in Omaha and Nebraska is going to lose to Bethune Cookman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Marquis de Pyro posted:

If I did I stole it from the internet, I've definitely seen it around for years.

In a weird way, it's kind of too bad, I think Dantonio is a fantastic coach but he actually does get the DISRESPECT (that he secretly feeds on of course) because of his miserable attitude.

I think way more Michigan fans would admit Tressell and Meyer are all time great coaches than Dantonio, which is a shame.

On the other hand, I hope he dies soon.

Mark Dantonio was a mediocre version of Jim Tressel, but after everything that came out about Michigan State this year, he's a mediocre version of Joe Paterno.

• Locked thread