Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair point, Arcadia Bay was primarily a fishing town but even as far back as BtS we hear stuff about Sean Prescott laying off dock workers and by the time of the original even the fish were starting to disappear. In other words, the Prescott family was almost single handedly keeping the town afloat at that point. Once that all went to poo poo it was probably easier to just write the town off and forget about it rather than trying to rebuild or make something new in the same spot.

The only confirmed survivors we know about are Max, Chloe, and thanks to the recent guidebook, the North family as well by virtue of not being in Arcadia Bay at the time (Kate, David and Jefferson are also possibilities considering where they were at the time of the storm). There's some evidence that Sean Prescott knew about the storm in some fashion and as such, most likely abandoned the town as well. Everybody else is most likely long dead by now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't the comic being drawn in part by the same woman who did all that fanart for Season One and promotional work for Before the Storm (Afterlaughs)?

Nope you can see the writer (Emma Vieceli) colorist (Andrea Izzo)and artist(Claudia Leonardi) names on the comic preview

Larryb posted:

Also in regards to some of your other points, Max doesn't seem to care for skateboarding or tattoos all that much in comparison to Chloe and Sean (as far as I can recall anyway).

As for the expulsion thing, there's a report card you can find in Chloe's room during the first game from 2011 and the game makes it explicit that she was expelled from Blackwell by the time LiS starts. So if you want to try and line this up with BtS I suppose you could say that Chloe was either canonically suspended back then or James actually made good on his offer to try and get her back into Blackwell only for her to get kicked out again the following year (though if you're following the Truth ending, why he would want to help someone who ruined his life, broke up his family and turned his daughter against him is beyond me).

Larryb posted:

Interesting. Does it mention anything regarding what happened to Steph and/or Samantha? Also since you said the LiS portion takes place after Episode 2 does it specify whether or not Kate is still alive?

Good to have some confirmation that Max didn't kill everyone if you chose the Bae ending though.

It doesn't on either Steph or Samantha. As for Kate no it does not mention that either

I also assumed James pulled strings if you hid it or got mega guilt tripped by Rachel into doing it (which he would also do.)

In farewell Chloe brings up teaching her how to skate and she says she's afraid of falling and when she talks about Chloe's tattoos(which she brings up how cool they look all the time) Says her parents would kill her . Max is pretty honest in her thoughts about hating stuff and she never rejects either and draws,photographs,and writes about both a lot so you can lean towards her liking them.

A running theme with Max is she wants to try new stuff and branch out but she's afraid of the outcome(not be a cliche shy geek) go for a midnight swim get a little rebellious which leads to great poo poo like trying to get drugs from Frank in the most Max way ever. (higher education? you really bought that Max lol dork I love her)

Macaluso posted:

I don't think Max cares one way or the other about skateboarding itself, but she totally thinks skater boys are cute

Specifically Trevor (there's an awkward alt timeline for you) between him Warren she has a type. That's what irritates me about actually bi characters they have no problem having Max say that or Chloe carry condoms but when THE GAY is involved suddenly it's like your choice man and they remove actual dialogue to make it happen. (Let me say art gallery chicks are cute damnit)-end angry bi rant

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While her faults are a lot more apparent to me now after BtS (she's not malicious about it but she's not exactly the greatest friend either, something she doesn't really start to understand until after Kate's attempted suicide. Also her inherent shyness combined with her knack for getting into other people's business kind of makes her come off as a hypocrite at times) and I still prefer Chloe a bit more I must admit I do have a bit of a soft spot for Max, mostly due to how adorably naive she is about everything at first (though Sassy Max later on is fun too).

In fact, I kind of hope that the character model that was found in LiS 2's files a little while back ends up getting used and we meet up with jaded adult Max later on in the game.

And because i feel like it, my top 10 favorite characters in the series so far in no particular order:

Chloe
Steph
Lyla
Max
Rachel
Dana
Kate
Frank
Mikey
Joyce

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 12, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Max is 20/21 at this point, so I don’t think that really plays into “bitter adult”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Max is 20/21 at this point, so I don’t think that really plays into “bitter adult”

True, but at the very least I'm sure there's still a bit of lingering anxiety/guilt from sacrificing Chloe/her home town (and possibly some form of PTSD as well). Either way, she's probably not the same person we saw at the beginning of Season 1 (though to be fair she'd already changed quite a bit by the time Episode 4 rolled around) and I'd be interested to see that explored a bit in the future. Even if she doesn't make a major appearance in LiS 2 there's still the upcoming comic series at least.

Off the subject, but I just noticed watching the Sacrifice Chloe ending again that Dana, Wells, and for some reason Victoria are present at the funeral. The first two I can sort of understand (Dana out of support for Max and the fact that she's a decent human being, Wells probably out of guilt and lip service to the fact that Chloe was once a Blackwell student) but I'm not entirely sure why Victoria would be there, especially if you retroactively factor BtS into things (though then again, Chloe was pretty much the only person Victoria couldn't get under the skin of so maybe she respects her for that on some level).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back on topic, has anyone tried choosing "No" when asked if you played Season 1 at the start? If so, which ending does the Arcadia Bay scene default to in that case?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 12, 2018

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

Back on topic, has anyone tried choosing "No" when asked if you played Season 1 at the start? If so, which ending does the Arcadia Bay scene default to in that case?

It's randomized 50/50 shot of it being either one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

It's randomized 50/50 shot of it being either one.

That's about what I figured they would do.

Also I can confirm now that Daniel will only steal from Brody if you took the camping gear when escaping the store. Stealing from the shop earlier and taking the candy bar from the abandoned car doesn't seem to matter in regards to that particular outcome as I did both on a recent playthrough and he didn't take anything at the end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 13, 2018

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

And people think the racism in this game is unrealistic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, aside from the mystical aspect most of the stuff depicted in this game (and the previous ones for that matter) can and has happened in reality so I don't really have a problem with them trying to address some of those issues here.

Off the subject, but since it's pretty clear that Chris will be making his official debut next episode I'm curious if they're going to somehow manage to fully wrap up his story in one episode and move on from there or if he'll actually be joining the brothers on the road (at least temporarily anyway). Also, based on the ending of Captain Spirit it looks like the boys are staying with the Reynolds family (Chris' neighbors) at the time so I'll be interested to see how that goes too.

Speaking of which, they still haven't said anything about what the release schedule for this game is going to be like yet have they?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 13, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

blue squares posted:

For real, literally the only thing that's unrealistic about the beginning is that one character has super powers. Nothing else about how the confrontation happened or how the cop reacted is in any way unrealistic

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

Yes, it's completely realistic that all the white characters in the game are racist villains, except for the one ultra liberal who saves the day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's only been 3 people and we've still got 4 more episodes left (and technically it was just the store owner, the cop panicked and the wife just went along with her husband. The dad outside the store was kind of a dick too but he didn't actually do anything). In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of douchebags in this universe (I could name several from Arcadia Bay alone) so this really isn't anything new.

Also, we still know nothing of where this game is going to go at this point so maybe it's not exactly fair to judge the entire product on a single episode (now if things haven't improved by say, Episode 3 or so then maybe we can start to worry).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 13, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, it's completely realistic that all the white characters in the game are racist villains, except for the one ultra liberal who saves the day.

On-screen white characters. Most of his friends as well as his crush are white. And Brody was a loving creep.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

On-screen white characters. Most of his friends as well as his crush are white. And Brody was a loving creep.

To be fair, he can be creepy while at the same time being a fairly decent guy (See also: Warren, Samuel and to a lesser extent Frank).

On that note, brief thoughts on the major or semi-major characters we've met so far:

Sean: I've said this before but he's like a less likeable version of Max so far (slightly more assertive though). Not terrible though and I may start to warm up to him as the game goes on.

Daniel: Seems pretty decent as far as kid characters go and is also a huge dork just like his predecessors.

Lyla: The best new character so far and I'll be shocked if she doesn't come back later in some capacity (she also seems like a pretty good game candidate should Deck Nine ever want to do something with these characters).

Esteban: Mexican William Price (that is, a good dad who got taken before his time).

Brody: Kind of weird but basically a good dude, not much else to him though.

Mushroom: Adorable but I also worry she's going to become a potential target (not to mention a huge liability, they are on the run after all) later given this franchise's track record.

Chris: Way too nice for his own good (but that might change as things progress)

Charles: An abusive drunk but he does at least have some moments where he seems like he's trying to be a good dad.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 13, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

Mushroom: Adorable but I also worry she's going to become a potential target later given this franchise's track record.

Can I just say, and I know it's gonna be considered blasphemy from all the "i love them puppers" internet folks, but I wish I had the option to put my foot down and be like "no you cannot bring a PUPPY with us" because yo we are trying to keep a low profile from the cops and a PUPPY who BARKS is probably not the safest thing to have around. I was like :stonk: anytime the puppy was loudly barking in the hotel room, especially the big scene at the end.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wish they didn't have the puppy because it's a terrible idea but I'm also secretly glad that I had no say in the matter because I actually wanted it around.

This outlook will change if something happens to the puppy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That puppy is so fukken dead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I wish they didn't have the puppy because it's a terrible idea but I'm also secretly glad that I had no say in the matter because I actually wanted it around.

This outlook will change if something happens to the puppy.

This is Life is Strange, the question is almost never "if" but rather "when" (I give it two more episodes, tops). Like I've said, given some of the source material used for this game's plot I'm not even sure if Daniel is going to make it out of this alive to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 13, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The final choice will be to sacrifice the puppy or sacrifice Daniel

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Racism is a thing but I think it's way too earlier to pull out the insane crazy racist kidnapper.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tired Moritz posted:

Racism is a thing but I think it's way too earlier to pull out the insane crazy racist kidnapper.

There are at least 43 million Americans who totally agree with that guy and wish they could do the same.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
that doesn't really address my statement

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Tired Moritz posted:

It's not too early when the final boss of the season has a good chance of being ICE.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
honestly, if they add more padding at the beginning and just end with them sleeping alone in the woods, I would probably enjoy it a lot more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

It's not too early when the final boss of the season has a good chance of being ICE.

Some of the later achievements do seem to indicate the boys will be seperated at some point at any rate (also almost every trophy name in Episode 4 has something to do with religion so maybe they get mixed up with a cult later or something). As the two games seem to be linking back up next episode by all indications it seems like the boys will be staying with the Reynolds family from Captain Spirit for a little while too, hope they don't turn out to secretly be assholes.

Off the subject but I'm curious how Daniel's new power is going to be incorporated into the gameplay (and I'm almost positive it will be). Hell, maybe there will be some sections where we actually play as Daniel for a little while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 13, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Stuff about upcoming episodes

Is it me being lame that I really wish you'd spoilered all this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Is it me being lame that I really wish you'd spoilered all this?

To be fair, what I said was complete speculation based on titles and what little can be surmised by the end of Captain Spirit (for all I know I could be completely off the mark). The complete trophy list is also something anyone can look at regardless of what platform you're using but fair enough, corrected.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 13, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

It's only been 3 people and we've still got 4 more episodes left (and technically it was just the store owner, the cop panicked and the wife just went along with her husband. The dad outside the store was kind of a dick too but he didn't actually do anything). In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of douchebags in this universe (I could name several from Arcadia Bay alone) so this really isn't anything new.

Plus the next door neighbor, plus the next door neighbor's son.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, one of which we only heard about through a note and another we only saw twice and possibly will never see again. Though to be fair, there hasn't really been a single rear end in a top hat in this series so far who wasn't white come to think of it (except Principal Wells I guess) so again that's pretty much par for the course.

Of course, the other games balanced that out a bit better whereas here the only non-minorities we've personally met who aren't douchebags in some fashion are Brody and, if you count Captain Spirit as part of LiS 2 (which it technically is), Chris and Mrs. Reynolds as well (and Max should that updated character model that someone found recently get used for something bigger than a small cameo). But again, this is only Episode 1 so hopefully that'll improve a bit going forward.

That aside, this game does need some sort of gimmick besides the parenting simulator and slight money management aspect. Daniel's telekinesis is a good candidate for that but I'm curious how it's going to be utilized in gameplay (I suppose we could swap control over to Daniel for a few puzzle sections every so often or something).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 14, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yeah there's a lot of racists in America, friend

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Yeah there's a lot of racists in America, friend

There's a lot of burglars in the country, but if all the black characters in the game had been burglars, it wouldn't have gone over too well, would it?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope one day we can solve the mystery of why the bad guys in this game about racism are white.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Orange Sunshine posted:

There's a lot of burglars in the country, but if all the black characters in the game had been burglars, it wouldn't have gone over too well, would it?

You're right dude, white people have been oppressed by the racist stereotype of being racist for far too long. My opportunities have been severely limited by this very real thing that is definitely comparable to black people being seen as criminals.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Orange Sunshine posted:

Is "not all white people" really the hill you want to die on

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Once again, it's a small handful of white people (most of which probably aren't even going to be major characters going forward if they come back at all) but in comparison to that we have all of Sean's white friends who we only meet through text messages (counts just about as much as that one neighbor guy from the beginning we only met through an angry note), Brody, Chris, the Reynolds family (presumably, this could change come Episode 2), and probably more as the game goes on. Also, as I've said before, one episode is not necessarily indicative of how the entire game is going to play out (see the previous two games in the series) so maybe calm down a bit until we get a little further in.

Also as has been said, outside of magic powers and literal ghosts there is nothing present in this game (or series for that matter) that can't and hasn't happened in real life on a regular basis. Yes, it's kind of weird that almost every white person the boys have run into so far has been a racist dick (or just a dick in some cases) but I expect that to change a bit as we move forward. Also, if you think about it there hasn't really been a huge amount of minority representation in this series in general (in fact the ones in major roles could probably be counted on one hand) and the vast majority of the antagonistic characters in all 4 existing games have primarily been white. This is literally nothing new.

Moving past that subject, I'm kind of curious how the upcoming meeting with Chris will play out if you haven't played Captain Spirit previously (I assume it's going to ask you at the start to either transfer your save file or just have a couple brief questions come up like they did for Season 1 in this episode). Since I'm doing two simultaneous playthroughs of the game currently (one normal one following the Bae ending and also a "Bad Decisions" run following Bay) I might wind up checking that out.

As for Daniel's powers I could see them working from a gameplay standpoint in two ways. First through the Daniel option you get when interacting with certain things (like for example there could be some debris blocking your path and you need to get your brother to clear it away so you can proceed) or, if we actually get to play as Daniel at some point maybe something a little more elaborate. For example, you could hold down the left shoulder button to pick things up and would be able to move and re-position said objects while holding them, at which point you could release the button to set them down or press the right shoulder button to aim and throw (on the PC version said buttons could be substituted for whatever the Rewind and Quick Rewind keys were in the first game). I could definitely see some puzzles going forward that would require this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 14, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

:rolleyes:

Maybe a game that has a major theme about the very real problem of racism in modern America, that you don't think exists, isn't for you

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

:rolleyes:

Maybe a game that has a major theme about the very real problem of racism in modern America, that you don't think exists, isn't for you

Yes, it was a good idea to make all the white people racists and villains.

This really gets the point across the some people are racist. There was nothing heavy handed about this at all. The best way to communicate any point is with cartoonish exaggerations, I think we can all agree on that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, it was a good idea to make all the white people racists and villains.*