Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Scion3872 posted:

Two friends of mine want to try the game before possibly getting their own set. What would be three characters that work well together, but have as little overlap in cards as possible?

Ideally I'd like at least one of these be easy for a beginner, as one of them has the LOTR card game, so he should be fine with a little complexity.

I have a full collection, so no restrictions there.

I'm teaching two people now running Night of the Zealot using the starter decklists. We know they're sub-optimal but I want them to appreciate the power of tuned decks later.
They have Roland and Daisy and I have Jenny to hover and hammer out hot lead if they get jammed up. We have lots of yellow and blue cross-support, healthy doses of purple and green, and no red for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Does anyone have any clue as to the number of location connections per scenario? Or the maximum number in a single scenario so far? I have a friend looking at designing/making some fancy arrow connectors and we're trying to figure out a good number of single- and double-ended connector tokens to include in a set. Most places that sell them are 5 single/5 double or something like 4 single/8 double, but I'd rather get a more accurate number than just winging it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really enjoyed this game back when I first tried the very first scenario 2p with my wife out of one core....several months ago. Possibly years. I even bought Path to Carcosa at the time because I am a sucker for Chambers and the King in Yellow, but it stayed in shrink wrap for ages.

Well, the slow, agonizing death of official Netrunner has brought me crawling back. I ordered a second core a few weeks back, and literally the day before it arrived I found out some of my A:NR group was going to start Dunwich. We're now three scenarios in and having a blast.

In the meantime, I've been trying (and for the most part failing) to play solo. I went through NotZ with Minh and it was ugly. Mild spoilers for Night of the Zealot follow, I also talk about Rougarou a little but I think it's vague enough to not spoil anyone who still wants to run it blind.

I had to resign in the Gathering because I didn't have any real answer for the Priest, then in Midgnight Masks my first two encounter deck draws were a Cultist and a Wizard so the agenda advanced insanely quickly. The third draw was, of course, the Priest again. I managed to escape with the nurse and my life.

I decided to take a detour to New Orleans and run Curse of the Rougarou - it was thematically appropriate, too, just screwing off to another state entirely after getting chased all over town. This was....an...interesting scenario? I mean, playing it solo, basically nothing happened at all. I ended up retaining the curse since again, I didn't have much fight, and the idea of following that thing around and gathering clues just to poke at it over and over again seemed like it would take longer than I had on the agenda. I feel like the big baddie needs another trigger or two to move.

Anyway, feeling a bit more empowered even though I came out dead-even on XP, I headed back to Arkham to explore the spooky woods. Since I had four cultists uninterrogated (the wolf man or whatever that spawns on the agenda doesn't get recorded if it's in play, right?) I was already in bad shape regarding time. I managed to slip by all the cultists guarding the ritual site with a Hiding Place - which in retrospect I'm only 80% sure the cultists aren't Elite, so whoops - and then managed to get slaughtered indiscriminately by something nasty at the ritual site before the big nasty even got summoned. RIP.

I think my biggest problem isn't just a lack of fighting abililty in Minh, it's that compounded with how many nasty things have Retaliate. Screw Retaliate. The deck was pretty awful, I built it with a lot of extra wildcard icon cards that aren't super synergistic but were meant to counter her King in Yellow weakness. That was probably a mistake - I have more cards now so I probably could build a deck that can beat her weakness reliably while also actually doing stuff. Also, her Basic weakness was Amnesia, which only showed up on the table when King in Yellow was already in play and I was setting up to get rid of it - that's not a super great feeling. I'm torn between trying to build a better Minh for solo or just building another investigator entirely. I think I'll try the core campaign solo again tonight, maybe do Carnevale as a side story if it's going either really well or really poorly.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

I had to resign in the Gathering because I didn't have any real answer for the Priest, then in Midgnight Masks my first two encounter deck draws were a Cultist and a Wizard so the agenda advanced insanely quickly. The third draw was, of course, the Priest again. I managed to escape with the nurse and my life.
I think you might have played this wrong, as the cultists don’t go in the encounter deck. An early Priest draw probably still would’ve doomed you though. If he’s still alive in part 3, it’s often down to luck of the draw whether I make it or not. Also, the Wolf-Man is recorded as not interrogated if he isn’t in the victory display.
Maybe you know this already, but enemies only retaliate when you miss.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, Minh is one of the most multiplayer-oriented investigators out there and one of the worst picks for solo. Try Ashcan Pete for a pretty smooth ride where you'll only slow down to gather resources for a prolonged bossfight. As an added bonus, he's really well suited to some really fun gimmick decks revolving around things like Black Horse or Desperation skills.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

One common issue I've seen people have is that they don't remove doom from cultists after the agenda advances, thus making each round way shorter than it should be.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

uncle blog posted:

I think you might have played this wrong, as the cultists don’t go in the encounter deck. An early Priest draw probably still would’ve doomed you though. If he’s still alive in part 3, it’s often down to luck of the draw whether I make it or not. Also, the Wolf-Man is recorded as not interrogated if he isn’t in the victory display.
Maybe you know this already, but enemies only retaliate when you miss.

I don't mean unique cultists, I mean like the Acolyte or whatever that is in the encounter deck that takes a doom when it comes into play, and then the Wizard of the Order which basically tacks on an extra one every turn. I did miss that the Masked Hunter (that's who I meant, sorry) gets added to the not-interrogated list if it's in play, so I should have died even quicker in S3. Something to be aware of for tonight, I guess.

And yeah, I knew that about retaliate - the problem is when you have a 2 (or more) health baddie with decent fight. I would end up having to commit a bunch of cards to make sure I connected and didn't get Retaliated, but then I wouldn't have enough to commit for the next attack. I put a pair of Fire Axes in my deck before Midnight Masks to complement the Gravedigger's Shovels I had (especially since Fire Axe doesn't get totally shut down by King in Yellow), which helped a lot, but it still wasn't enough,.

Max posted:

One common issue I've seen people have is that they don't remove doom from cultists after the agenda advances, thus making each round way shorter than it should be.

Yeah I was aware of this, I just didn't end up having the action economy to outpace it most of the time anyway.

This was on easy by the way - I really, really got trounced on bad draws in S1 and 2.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Suggestions for a card storage solution where I can store the cards horizontally? Most options seem to be vertical, which I’m not a fan of.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

uncle blog posted:

Suggestions for a card storage solution where I can store the cards horizontally? Most options seem to be vertical, which I’m not a fan of.

Return to Night of the Zealot box? :can:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

uncle blog posted:

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/trading-card/trading-card-boxes

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend and I played the Core Set intro scenario, and got our poo poo pushed in by the ghoul priest. This seems to be a common thing.

Turns out apparently Retaliate only triggers if you do a swing and a miss? I totally thought it was after every interaction with the dude, so yeah... Roland Banks went down a bit quicker than he should have.

Just a few clarifications requested:
(1) I've seen a lot of confusion about engaging an enemy. I've seen a whole youtube video on the intricacies of it, which was helpful. However, a baddie should pretty much always be engaged to a player unless that baddie is exhausted, right? They auto-engage if spawned in a room with a player, if it pursuing someone via Hunter into a room, or if a player moves into a room with it already there, or if Aloof.

(2) So a Hunter can move and deal damage in the same turn if a player is within one room of it? Since move is before damage on the Enemy Phase. Ouch.

(3) If a player Evades an enemy, that enemy become exhausted and no longer are engaged but just chillaxing in the same room now. If other player in the same room can Fight that enemy to do some damage without becoming engaged, correct?

(4) If a player is engaged in an enemy, another player can Fight them but if they miss they hurt the first player.

(5) If you're engaged with an enemy, and it is your turn, you need to do specific fight-related things or else you trigger an Attack of Opportunity. I take it that every enemy engaged to you gets to hit you if you do that?

(6) Also, can a player trigger things off of their already-played Asset cards that don't take a Click (sorry, Netrunner term is going to forever stick with me on that) to do it without triggering an AOO?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 11, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

jeeves posted:

My girlfriend and I played the Core Set intro scenario, and got our poo poo pushed in by the ghoul priest. This seems to be a common thing.

Turns out apparently Retaliate only triggers if you do a swing and a miss? I totally thought it was after every interaction with the dude, so yeah... Roland Banks went down a bit quicker than he should have.

Just a few clarifications requested:
(1) I've seen a lot of confusion about engaging an enemy. I've seen a whole youtube video on the intricacies of it, which was helpful. However, a baddie should pretty much always be engaged to a player unless that baddie is exhausted, right? They auto-engage if spawned in a room with a player, if it pursuing someone via Hunter into a room, or if a player moves into a room with it already there, or if Aloof.

(2) So a Hunter can move and deal damage in the same turn if a player is within one room of it? Since move is before damage on the Enemy Phase. Ouch.

(3) If a player Evades an enemy, that enemy become exhausted and no longer are engaged but just chillaxing in the same room now. If other player in the same room can Fight that enemy to do some damage without becoming engaged, correct?

(4) If a player is engaged in an enemy, another player can Fight them but if they miss they hurt the first player.

(5) If you're engaged with an enemy, and it is your turn, you need to do specific fight-related things or else you trigger an Attack of Opportunity. I take it that every enemy engaged to you gets to hit you if you do that?

(6) Also, can a player trigger things off of their already-played Asset cards that don't take a Click (sorry, Netrunner term is going to forever stick with me on that) to do it without triggering an AOO?

Assuming a "click" is an action then yes. AoO only trigger when you take actions that aren't fight related (unless specifically mentioned otherwise). Everything else looks about right except your description of Aloof. An Aloof enemy will never engage a player willingly (meaning they won't attack you, either). You also cannot attack them if they are not engaged with someone, unless they are evaded. Once you do engage an aloof enemy they will stay engaged unless specified otherwise, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Return to the Night of the Zealot is actually pretty decent when you're explicitly looking for an encounter deck storage solution and you can find it for $18 but did they seriously not include dividers for the new cards in existing encounter sets? :psyduck: That's going to be a pain.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Does anyone have any clue as to the number of location connections per scenario? Or the maximum number in a single scenario so far? I have a friend looking at designing/making some fancy arrow connectors and we're trying to figure out a good number of single- and double-ended connector tokens to include in a set. Most places that sell them are 5 single/5 double or something like 4 single/8 double, but I'd rather get a more accurate number than just winging it.

Pretty sure depending on layout that would be The Pallid Mask.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Pick up a copy of Android Mainframe for like 12 bux and then use that game's blue plastic dividers for location connections.

Of course neon blue doesn't really fit the theme, but oh well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/12/the-circle-undone/

That intro sounds so cool

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Was there a post or link or something else that had a list of play groups by city in the US? Am I making that up? I'd really like to branch out of playing this solo but can't get people from my other gaming groups to play this consistently enough to make it worth it. I'm in north Chicago if anybody else is in the area and needs another player. :shobon:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I like that Mystic. She might be good?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My group started the Forgotten Age

Holy gently caress that first scenario is insane. Does it get any easier/less assholey?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

FA is the hardest campaign yet. While it doesn't really let up, I do find it to be rather generous with XP.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Orange Devil posted:

I like that Mystic. She might be good?

I'm not sure. She kinda reminds me a bit of Carolyn in that she's gotta be a mostly support character (although it'll depend on what cards she can take to some extent). Casting with a 1 base mind for a lot of stuff is gonna be rough, and none of her other stats really let her focus on doing much. And I know she can grow her mind but being that every other mystic is at least 4 mind, she's gotta do 4 cancels before she's at the base level of all the others. Although I could see possibly building her to more take advantage of all the weird mystic effect cards that don't actually test. I've just found that having a full support character seems kinda weak in most groups, although that could be how we've played/built things. She's interesting for sure though. They still making great designs.

IcePhoenix posted:

My group started the Forgotten Age

Holy gently caress that first scenario is insane. Does it get any easier/less assholey?

The first FA scenario is a beast, but I have a feeling it's because there's so much XP available. We've found that the difficulty drops after that. That said,, the supply system imo is really horrible especially for larger groups. There's some weird stuff that happens though, the scenario is really pretty cool after the first mission imo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Diana is going to be jank as hell, though the kind of jank that hits hard the times it comes together. A big question is that of her deckbuilding requirements, as having some decent items will be crucial while you're still assembling your little willpower deck.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

The first FA scenario is a beast, but I have a feeling it's because there's so much XP available. We've found that the difficulty drops after that. That said,, the supply system imo is really horrible especially for larger groups. There's some weird stuff that happens though, the scenario is really pretty cool after the first mission imo.

Available in general or how much you're expected to finish with? We only ended up with four. Currently debating how to spend it.

Also arkham db is annoying me because I can't publish my deck since it still thinks thermos is unreleased.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

IcePhoenix posted:

It's designed to give players trauma. In every sense.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Obama 2012 posted:

It's designed to give players trauma. In every sense.

It worked!

Also lmao I took the blanket as a joke and my party hates me for it now :v:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man I love Ursula Downs. Give me Diana Stanley in this cycle and my wishlist is complete

ACHIEVEMENT COMPLETE

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Still getting a feel for this game-- however in a two player group with my girlfriend, I accidentally took Roland for the first two scenarios of Night of the Zealot, leaving her with Wendy or Agnes (when I rebuilt the latter out of Wendy's cards for her).

Man, mistake. My girlfriend is less familiar with board games and strategy, so she really should have started out as Roland. Dude just rolls around beating people up and taking clues from corpses. Way easier than trying to juggle spells or whatever is going on with Wendy.

When we swapped, the game got a lot more smooth. She no longer had like panic attacks trying to figure out what to do every turn, just basically was like "do I have a weapon? Good. Lets kill some cultists!"

It seems the recommendation of the core set of Roland plus Wendy means the latter is kinda weak for investigating. Probably because Roland uses Daisy's cards by default? I'd think a pure fighter and pure investigator would be easier for new players than what seems like Wendy's more generalist thing going on.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Available in general or how much you're expected to finish with? We only ended up with four. Currently debating how to spend it.

Also arkham db is annoying me because I can't publish my deck since it still thinks thermos is unreleased.

The first scenario has a max xp available of 10+2 to one person afterwards. We've gotten one off the max once, but our campaign on Saturday we started wasn't nearly as successful. That said, i have a feeling the scenario is also kinda a trap, and that it's meant to punish people who try to farm everything out because trying to get everything gets really dicey, especially with Ancient Evils floating around (btw, still my selection for worst designed enemy card group-it's just way too punitive for anything but solo play to have 3 possible)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

The first scenario has a max xp available of 10+2 to one person afterwards. We've gotten one off the max once, but our campaign on Saturday we started wasn't nearly as successful. That said, i have a feeling the scenario is also kinda a trap, and that it's meant to punish people who try to farm everything out because trying to get everything gets really dicey, especially with Ancient Evils floating around (btw, still my selection for worst designed enemy card group-it's just way too punitive for anything but solo play to have 3 possible)

yeah, I suggested taking one of them out of the deck because of how small it is for the first scenario but one of our group was against it so the discussion didn't get anywhere

we actually replayed the scenario because of how hard we got it from them the first time

we also didn't have binoculars so no bonus exp

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
No more giant binder:

I really wanted them all in their class's colors, but cheap yellow binders are surprisingly hard to find.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Finished Return to the Night of the Zealot. The Devourer Below was brutal, with a ton of doom sitting out on multiple enemies every round. The agenda advanced really quickly, and we all failed the willpower test to have to grab a weakness from the collection. I ended up with Amnesia just after filling my hand with cards from underneath Sefina.

In the same Mythos phase, someone else pulled the treachery that forces everyone to discard a random card, then kills them if their hand is empty. I only had one card left after Amnesia, so that was it for Sefina. The others ended tossing Lita to Umôrdhoth and "winning" at least.

That's two scenarios/campaigns in a row where Sefina has been outright killed for me. It might be time to move on to another investigator.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Are there any release dates for:
- Shattered Aeons
- Guardians of the Abyss
- Return to the Dunwich Legacy

Seems that Q4 is as precise as it gets.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Do not take Charon's Obol on the Essex County Express.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

food court bailiff posted:

Do not take Charon's Obol on the Essex County Express.

Worked ok for me :smuggo:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Everyone but like Wendy who can use the Obol is very greedy for XP, always take the Obol and live on the edge.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Doubly so important on Sefina, who has the near-guaranteed draw of I'm outta here so she can go cya losers.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Just finished another Labyrinths of Lunacy in epic multiplayer mode. I died again! But this time at the very end and last turn instead of in the first agenda/act.

All three groups made it through! Technically one person in Group B and one in Group C died to Agenda/Act 1 effects, due mostly to rules foibles I think, but instead of kicking two players out we just gave them a damage and horror and carried on.

I was playing a more investigation-heavy Skids and it worked out reasonably well:

quote:

"Skids" O'Toole
30 cards (35 total)
19 experience required

Rogue

Asset (11)

Hand
2x  Lockpicks •
2x  Switchblade ••

Accessory
1x  Lucky Cigarette Case

Ally
2x  Leo De Luca

Other
2x  Hard Knocks ••
2x  Well Prepared ••

Event (13)

2x  "You handle this one!"
2x  Daring Maneuver
2x  Dodge
2x  Emergency Cache
2x  Narrow Escape
2x  Pay Day •
1x  Prepared for the Worst

Skill (6)
2x  "Watch this!"
2x  Opportunist
2x  Take the Initiative

Asset (1)
Other
1x  Streetwise •••

Event (1)
1x On the Lam

Treachery (3)
1x Haunted
1x Hospital Debts
1x Hypochondria

Well Prepared is pretty incredible, and the Hard Knocks/Well Prepared combo was the core of the deck.

Pay Out was ok, and mostly ended up being two extra copies of Emergency Cache, but it did help out a lot.

Leo de Luca was a dud and I absolutely need a better/cheaper ally, even if it's just to soak up horror damage. I was going to go with Hired Muscle but didn't want its upkeep cost to conflict with my money-hungry setup.

Take the Initiative is incredible for encounter deck willpower tests since you get the full benefit of all three icons. It feels a little broken, but to be fair, there's only two of them.

Lucky Cigarette Case drew me quite a few cards once I had Lockpicks and Well Prepared out. I was able to get a lot of things as I needed them, but card draw is also ultimately what killed me. I went into the last turn with no cards left in my deck and only one sanity left, and would have died from shuffling had I not taken the last hit from the big boss.

Things I would absolutely change:
-Daring Maneuver was never used due to Well Prepared, Hard Knocks, Lockpicks, and Streetwise giving me plenty of pump every time I needed it
-Need more weapons to be more versatile. Upgraded Switchblade almost always did 2 damage, but it was hard to find when it was relevant
-Need a better ally, whether it's a 0xp or an upgraded one. Leo de Luca costs too much and doesn't do enough in 3-4 player games, I think
-Something with more than one willpower icon for Well Prepared to hook onto. Lucky Cigarette Case gave one in a pinch, but Skids has a really hard time with willpower tests

It was fun, and I really enjoyed trying to make a Skids deck work without leaning heavily into the Guardian side of things.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 29, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
New article up, for the first pack in the Circle Undone cycle. We're getting dual-faction cards! And they look really good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

New article up, for the first pack in the Circle Undone cycle. We're getting dual-faction cards! And they look really good.

Grisly Totem is insanely good for a level 0 card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I can't read the weapon, but all the other dual-class cards look like trash to me. Open to being convinced.