Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tim Shaw is gonna be back!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I feel like I'm enjoying this on a minute to minute basis, but theres just too much going on for it to be really coherent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know it's supposed to be to distract the victims, but the voices really undercut the menace

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I feel like I'm enjoying this on a minute to minute basis, but theres just too much going on for it to be really coherent.

Yeah, everything works but it doesn't really hang together.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I really liked "Come to daddy... I mean mummy...." as a line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I... uhh... I really don't like the new console very much :smith:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I could take or leave the new console but I really liked the rest of the interior.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Tried my best to watch it, but my stream kept cutting out, so I missed a few chunks. :argh:

Like the whole crystal console thing, and the entrance way from the 60's film, but the rest of the interior is far too dark, sparse and gloomy. Maybe they'll adjust the lighting in future episodes to make it more...cozy, for lack of a better word.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a completely fine episode but like SiKboy I felt it was really a series of very good individual moments that didn't make a particularly coherent overall story. The two contestants deciding to call it a draw didn't really feel earned, the cloth was creepy until it started talking, and the "timeless child" stuff feels like the worst of Moffat's series theme stuff making a return.

That said, visually it is gorgeous, I really like all the companions (Yaz is currently the weakest, but I imagine she will get her chance to shine) and the Doctor is, as always, great.

Staggy posted:

I could take or leave the new console but I really liked the rest of the interior.

I thought it was a bit dark but figured that would be offset by the console itself, but it all just kind of blends together and the crystal(?) pillars actually make it look quite cramped despite how large the interior is. Hopefully I'll get used to it/they'll shoot around it better, but as a reveal it was a bit of a letdown.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here's the thing, there was leaked pictures of the TARDIS set in normal lighting and... um... it looks pretty bad when it's not being lit like in the episode, so I don't think it's gonna get much brighter.

Also, no arcs my arse, Chibnall. That's a set of arc words and a recurring OC menace already?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 14, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the new interior, it's an interesting distiction - this is what the Tardis looks like when left to it's own devices. It's grown from a crystal, so when decorating itself it fits that all the key structural components would grow similarly naturally, and the console is pretty basic probably because it's a default configuration. It's almost like a factory-reset Tardis.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do have to say the door opening for the Doctor when she admits she lost her keys was really sweet, even knowing that she could have just snapped her fingers.

Speaking of which, so that dude flew across 94 planets and nobody once snapped their fingers around him?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I don't think we'll be seeing much action inside the TARDIS this season. The new design looks like a real pain to shoot in without those weird spider leg-looking things getting in the way of every shot. And especially not with so many companions along for the ride.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the new interior, it's an interesting distiction - this is what the Tardis looks like when left to it's own devices. It's grown from a crystal, so when decorating itself it fits that all the key structural components would grow similarly naturally, and the console is pretty basic probably because it's a default configuration. It's almost like a factory-reset Tardis.

I quite like this idea if only because I find it hilarious that the Doctor Who universe is so inherently British that a custard cream biscuit dispenser comes as part of the default configuration.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It did feel a bit rushed towards the end.

And, like the last episode, it did feel like it need another go through the dialogue just to tighten it - I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring pet peeve of mine during Chibnal's stuff.

The visuals are top notch - although some of the editing felt a bit sloppy in this, and it is nice to have a fuller TARDIS crew. Although, yeah, atm Yaz feels like a hanger-on, which they're hopefully going to improve upon.

I like the new opening visuals - kinda miss that they haven't put Jodie's face in there somewhere - but a modern interpretation of the 60s kaleidoscope is fine. Still not digging the theme though. It just sounds like the least :effort: remix they could have done. But that's just personal taste - maybe it's just Akinola playing it safe - the rest of the music is pretty good.

Don't mind the weird tooth people becoming recurring villains, if they do something interesting with them, although "Timeless Child"...yeah. No thanks.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Creepy iminous rags sounded awfully like the creepy ominous Scholar of the First Sin from Dark Souls, so I was too distracted to care about their incredibly bland and boring prophecy.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I was so happy when they acknowledged police boxes. It feels like the whole revival so far, nobody's ever acknowledged that police boxes were a thing in real life.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nine explained it in Boom Town, Eleven mistook an actual police box for it in the poo poo Narnia one.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That was a completely fine episode but like SiKboy I felt it was really a series of very good individual moments that didn't make a particularly coherent overall story. The two contestants deciding to call it a draw didn't really feel earned, the cloth was creepy until it started talking, and the "timeless child" stuff feels like the worst of Moffat's series theme stuff making a return.

That said, visually it is gorgeous, I really like all the companions (Yaz is currently the weakest, but I imagine she will get her chance to shine) and the Doctor is, as always, great.

Yeah, I agree with this. Part of what I really liked about last week was that it seemed like we were dropping ~The Lore~ and were just going to focus on fun stories. I just don't care about The Doctor's off-screen past life in a stuffy old space aristocracy or how important she is in the universe.

I think the two contestants wore their life philosophies one their sleeves a bit too much as well. I did like Graham and Ryan's sort-of heart-to-heart and attempt to fix the boat, that was great. Whittaker's Doctor was good in this, still feels like the character is finding its feet though. Still got really heavy Tennant vibes from her performance, with a dash of Smith's lighter moments.

Speaking of Tennant, I'm surprised how much the 'No Guns, ever' thing has stuck with the character considering it started in The Doctor's Daughter (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong), which otherwise didn't matter much for anything. It felt so on the nose here. The Doctor didn't say something like 'Don't go out and shoot the robots because you'll probably get mowed down', 'The robots might be unaffected by their own lasers', or even give the line about out-thinking them before Ryan runs out, but just comes across as holding a general moral principle against holding a trigger. It came across as a bit weird in this case as these clearly seemed to be just dumb, unsentient, and unintelligent robots; nothing living would've been harmed.

I wonder if the Tim Shaws are going to be the overall villains of the series or if they'll just show up in the background of things every now and again.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It did feel a bit rushed towards the end.

And, like the last episode, it did feel like it need another go through the dialogue just to tighten it - I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring pet peeve of mine during Chibnal's stuff.

I've avoided spoilers but did check Wikipedia to see who wrote this (I missed it the first time around) and it looks like he's doing the first four eps this series. So that feeling might endure for another few weeks or so.

Also, big fan of the really old-school take they've done on the opening and theme. The new TARDIS interior seems okay, a bit hard to tell in the low lighting. Doesn't seem very homely though. The new costume seemed fine, it's okay, it doesn't draw much attention to itself or seem overly distracting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In The Parting of the Ways, Nine's hologram instructs Rose to leave the TARDIS on a corner where it would never draw attention, and to let it die.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's a behind the scenes look at the new TARDIS look.

It doesn't look so bad in some shots - pretty sure it's just how it's lit. But those hexagonal walls are super dark still. I think, if they had put the hexagonal walls as a divider, but more brightly lit behind, it wouldn't look so gloomy - I mean, that's what they're more or less doing with the little blue-light hexagons, backlit by soft orange lava-lamp things, and it works pretty well.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 14, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Buml0r posted:

I was so happy when they acknowledged police boxes. It feels like the whole revival so far, nobody's ever acknowledged that police boxes were a thing in real life.

They didn't look like that at all though

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Don't mind the weird tooth people becoming recurring villains, if they do something interesting with them, although "Timeless Child"...yeah. No thanks.

Yeah, recuring aliens/villians need to start somewhere and I'm ok with them trying to start a new one and having a season long main threat. Ditto everyone else on "Timeless Child" thing, screw that noise. I was really hoping to have a season without a big mystery/lore thing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I really like it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wish the intro was a bit longer and I wouldn’t mind seeing the Tardis and Jodie’s face in it, but I really dig the simplicity. It’s the polar opposite of the ultra-busy Tennant intro with the guitar theme or Smith’s stormy intro.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's a behind the scenes look at the new TARDIS look.

It doesn't look so bad in some shots - pretty sure it's just how it's lit. But those hexagonal walls are super dark still. I think, if they had put the hexagonal walls as a divider, but more brightly lit behind, it wouldn't look so gloomy - I mean, that's what they're more or less doing with the little blue-light hexagons, backlit by soft orange lava-lamp things, and it works pretty well.

That has all the hallmarks of 11's first set, being a massive headache to film in and needing an offseason redesign.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not very interesting to me. That said, I know one guy from work for whom the merest hint of some Vast Conspiracy Arc With Clues To Theorise About will have completely guaranteed he's on board for the rest of the season. I guess some people just like that stuff even if it doesn't really appeal to me.

I guarantee by the end of tomorrow there'll be a bunch of YouTubes up going "WHO OR WHAT IS DOCTOR WHO'S TIMELESS CHILD?" or "DOCTOR WHO'S TIMELESS CHILD: ALL THE CLUES WE HAVE SO FAR" or "MATT SMITH IN EPISODE 9: IS REY THE TIMELESS CHILD?" I suppose some folks just latch on to that. Like how the mythology in X-Files was always more popular than the monsters of the week while it was running and it's only since it ended that opinions reversed.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Staggy posted:

I liked both of those, but that music at the end was simply horrendous.

All and all much better episode than the pilot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the scene just before the Tardis shows up when The Doctor is genuinely worried that she has actually failed, only for her companions to be all "Oh come off it, we're not giving up that easy!"

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Hey Doc, give everyone your do anything magic wand before lecturing the mortals on defending themselves with laser rifles. :mad:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So the doctor has lived in this sentient box for a thousand years or whatever and it decides to restyle itself as... a kind of generic foreboding alien darkness? Er.. Ok. Thats dumb, but if you're going to do that reference it in some way? Like a moody teenager painting their room a poo poo colour when their parents are away or something? As it is the whole set is completely devoid of any personal connection to a doctor that wears rainbow suspenders so I hope they don't visit any actually foreboding alien settings in the near future because the companions will presumably just assume its a granny annex on the tardis or something.

9/10 excellent, would complain again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Timby posted:

That has all the hallmarks of 11's first set, being a massive headache to film in and needing an offseason redesign.

This is true. I dunno, as I said, maybe they'll do something with the lighting in future episodes. Kinda like how they changed the lighting of 11's second set to help make it feel more inviting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not very interesting to me. That said, I know one guy from work for whom the merest hint of some Vast Conspiracy Arc With Clues To Theorise About will have completely guaranteed he's on board for the rest of the season. I guess some people just like that stuff even if it doesn't really appeal to me.

I guarantee by the end of tomorrow there'll be a bunch of YouTubes up going "WHO OR WHAT IS DOCTOR WHO'S TIMELESS CHILD?" or "DOCTOR WHO'S TIMELESS CHILD: ALL THE CLUES WE HAVE SO FAR" or "MATT SMITH IN EPISODE 9: IS REY THE TIMELESS CHILD?" I suppose some folks just latch on to that. Like how the mythology in X-Files was always more popular than the monsters of the week while it was running and it's only since it ended that opinions reversed.

I mean recurring tooth people, as opposed to vague hints about the Doctor's past and the "Timeless Child". I don't mind an obvious recurring antagonist, or antagonistic species - like you I'm just not invested in yet another Vague Arc of Vagueness.

I tried to get into X-files after finishing off Twin Peaks a few years ago, craving weird mystery stuff after hearing how great it was...just didn't click :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

I mean recurring tooth people, as opposed to vague hints about the Doctor's past and the "Timeless Child". I don't mind an obvious recurring antagonist, or antagonistic species - like you I'm just not invested in yet another Vague Arc of Vagueness.

Right, yeah. I was referring to the "Timeless Child" bit, not the Tim Shaws. Sorry, I ought to have been clearer.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really don’t care how gloomy it is if it dispenses a free biscuit every time it dematerializes. :colbert:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That felt incredibly un-Who. I couldn't imagine any other Doctor or any other companion in the same episode. I now see what they mean by this being a good series for newcomers, because it felt like an episode of an entirely different show. I happen to really like this new show quite a lot, but after just watching Capaldi's last couple of seasons again, this is the opposite of that. It's like the Expanse or something. I'm really excited for the next episode because so far it is, unlike any series after the first of the revival, entirely unpredictable ground.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

she crashed the car (tardis) into a shop full of salt lamps

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The TARDIS redecorating to look like an alien insect nest was an unexpected twist.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Plavski posted:

Aww, Bradley Walsh really was brilliant; it's like we finally get the Doctor and Wilf Adventure Hour we'd always wanted.

corn in the bible posted:

I love Bradley Walsh and he was my favorite part of the episode. Jodie is ok also I suppose!

Jerusalem posted:

Bradley Walsh is a national treasure and I'm so glad he continues to find success wherever he goes.
Walsh has totally nailed this character. I love it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the new tardis except the big crystals.

I'll jump on the "individual parts good but whole a bit weak" review bandwagon. I enjoyed every minute of it but I probably won't watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Bradley Walsh is great, the other two are kinda....there?