Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Urias is in arbitration and we might have trouble keeping him past arb, I'm not so sure we should be trading away a prime candidate to replace him. And having another guy on a rookie contract in a couple years will give us a few more million for extending the rest of our OF.

Definitely go for the reliever. 6m/yr is acceptable for one or two elite guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

Make both moves

go for BLAZE

:yeah:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 Season

We got Booh, and he looks like a superstar...but he hurt his arm and is starting the season on the DL. I also made the deal for BLAZE, but it took a whole hell of a lot to get it done. Luciano will be missed, but the most promising bad we had to give up might be Sergio Morales.

On the plus side, Blaze moved up to the #1 prospect slot.

We hired Austin Chubb to be our new manager at the ripe old age of 32. We also signed former Royals superscout Lonnie Goldberg to be our assistant GM.

Schilling got into the hall on his last attempt. Big Pappy and Arod are joining him.

Justin Wilson remains unsigned, but rumor is he's getting a fat deal from Cleveland. We probably played it right not qualifying him.

We're predicted to win 112 games this year. Next offseason is going to be pretty ugly, money-wise...we're likely going to have to trade one or more core pieces to free up some cash.

Opening Day Lineup:

Royce Lewis, SS
Bryan Reynolds, CF
FTJ, 3B
Seth Beer, RF
Justin Williams, LF
Frank Mejia, C
Bobby Bradley, 1B
Luis Urias, 2B

Opening Day Rotation
MacKenzie Gore (he's going to be a monster)
Cal Quantrill
Michel Baez
Joey Lucchesi
Dakota Hudson

Trey Wingenter (CL, for now)
Durbin Feltman
Andres Munoz
Rowan Wick
Kyle McGrath (uninspiring, but he's a lefty)
Ian Anderson (potential star - came over for Phil "I suck" Maton)
Jose Rances Suarez (the guy we traded Eovaldi for)
Luiz Gohara

Upload should be completed shortly.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 15, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bewbies posted:

gently caress you phil maton, why the gently caress was he even in the goddamn game

Treinen was pretty dominant after we traded him to the Dodgers. Have to wonder if things turn out differently if he was closing.

I think at the deadline we should go all-in on guys in the final year of their contract. Trade prospects for an elite reliever or middle of the order bat if we can. Can't let the window close while so many guys are on pre-arb deals.

Also the owner sucks and I hope he sells the team.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

Treinen was pretty dominant after we traded him to the Dodgers. Have to wonder if things turn out differently if he was closing.

I think at the deadline we should go all-in on guys in the final year of their contract. Trade prospects for an elite reliever or middle of the order bat if we can. Can't let the window close while so many guys are on pre-arb deals.

Also the owner sucks and I hope he sells the team.

Dude's made $150m in profit since we took over. He increases our budget by like $8m a year.

dick

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

Dude's made $150m in profit since we took over. He increases our budget by like $8m a year.

dick

:capitalism:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's really just that guy liking hookers and blow too much t b q h

from what i gather hookers and blow is possibly an accurate simulation of how the padres' owner uses whatever earnings the team manages to squeeze out tho so :shrug:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
All Star Break 2022

69-27, .719, 1st place, NL West

We're riding high despite a rash of injuries: We lost Seth Beer twice to the DL, Royce Lewis (who was absolutely tearing up the league) for a couple of months, his replacement for a couple more months, and Rowan Wick for the season, in addition to Booh. The worst news came just before the break: Michel Baez needs Tommy John. We'll see him next summer... I hope.

The good news is everyone else is playing killer ball. Our Three Aces are all acing hard (until Baez tore the UCL), Booh has been the best RP in baseball, FTJ is having another MVP-caliber season, and Nelson Velazquez filled in superbly for Beer...he led the league in HRs the month he got to play. Our all stars were Gore, Quantrill, Wingenter, Mejia, FTJ, Williams, and Reynolds.

Some bad news: Bobby Bradley has really crapped out. He's slashing 216/273/426, and he's still hitting home runs, but he's doing nothing else of value. I could chalk this up to a slump, except that Ol' Pete says he's cooked too...and Pete is usually right about these things.

In the worst draft I think I've ever seen, we took Ben Roraff, a free swinging OF bat with a cheap bonus. He's not very exciting, but in the international amateur window, we landed Luis Morales, who looks like a legit superstar hitter at either 1B or a corner OF spot. He stepped into the top 20 prospects overall right out of the gate as an 18 year old.

VOTE

We have two potential holes to fill: a rotation spot, and starting 1B.

For our rotation, we have Jacob Nix and Jose Rances Suarez ready to go in AAA, plus the manager wants to give Gohara a look as a starter (he shouldn't). I called up Suarez, but do we want to trade for a 4/5 starter? Possibilities include Dallas Keuchel, Carlos Martinez (note: he has an $18m option for 2023), and Mike Clevinger. Both Nixt and Suarez are borderline starter/bullpen guys, but they're great pitchers, and we have a great pen.

Do we:

A - Let the young guys try and fill the hole

B - Trade for a veteran. The guys listed won't be too expensive, and all are walking at the end of the year.

For 1B, do we:

A - ride out Bradley's slump

B - pay big for a young 1B. ML-ready options are Grant Lavigne and Matt Wallner. These guys will cost a fortune in prospects (like BLAZE plus) but will likely be impact bats this season and for a while to come.

C - trade for a good veteran bat. We have some good options: Travis Shaw and Brandon Belt are both in their final years and both are quality all around 1Bs. Shaw in particular is still a top class hitter and a reliable glove.

I'm inclined towards C, we just paid big for BLAZE and Morales, and finding a stopgap makes sense. I don't think we want a black hole bat at 1B during the playoffs.

Upload will be completed shortly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Get Clevinger and Shaw.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Get Clevinger and Shaw.

:hmmyes:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thirded, unless we can get C-Mart for not much more (and his option is team not player).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
DONE DEALS

Clevinger for Danny Blair, a nothing RF prospect, and Shaw, 100% retained, for Jason Diaz, a middling RHP prospect.

Getting traded at 100% retained for a mediocre prospect the day you make the all star game....that's harsh.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Any opinions on which of the more recent OotP games to play, by which I mean from 2016 to 2019? All I know is that 17 was the first to have a full MLB/MLBPA licence, but I know that the newest game isn't necessarily the best. Any thoughts? All I want to do is rebuild the Expos.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im sorry i murdered the expos and ate them

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

oystertoadfish posted:

im sorry i murdered the expos and ate them

Nice to meet you, Mr. Loria. I hope that you die slowly and painfully.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

Any opinions on which of the more recent OotP games to play, by which I mean from 2016 to 2019? All I know is that 17 was the first to have a full MLB/MLBPA licence, but I know that the newest game isn't necessarily the best. Any thoughts? All I want to do is rebuild the Expos.

I'd say if you don't care about updated rosters/contracts/rules etc get the cheapest one. If you want to have the Most Realistic Baseball Experience get 19.

Also if you haven't taken a good look at our closer NOW IS THE TIME

this guy would easily be my favorite major leaguer if he existed

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 16, 2018

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

bewbies posted:

I'd say if you don't care about updated rosters/contracts/rules etc get the cheapest one. If you want to have the Most Realistic Baseball Experience get 19.

So for those of us who don't speak baseball, what is so special about this guy?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think bewbies is talking about his S-tier nickname.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ldragon posted:

1) he's korean, and korean baseball players are wonderful

2) he's basically a one pitch pitcher, and his one pitch is miraculous

3) he is only 5'10 but can throw 100 mph

4) he strikes out a ton of guys

full disclosure: I gave him his nickname

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ldragon posted:

baseball scouts use a 20-80 scale to rate things

basically this dude has A+ stuff and both his pitches are one of the best versions of that pitch in all of baseball (which helps even more), and he has good/great control with great movement (which, again, makes pitches harder to hit).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Booh more like Boss.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Kind of depends. Are you just going to be simming games or playing them out? If you're playing them out, the 3D engine made a nice jump this year (still not great, but huge improvement over 18).

If money isn't a concern, I'd go with 19. It's really well polished in my opinion. They do usually put it on sale at the end of the season so if you're not in a huge hurry, you can probably get it for $20 soon. Otherwise 18 is still a solid game and well worth $20.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bewbies posted:

Is the reason they suggest bullpen because he only throws 2 pitches? Looks like his stamina is halfway decent.

Chubb is going to run him into the ground this year. :argh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

Is the reason they suggest bullpen because he only throws 2 pitches? Looks like his stamina is halfway decent.

Chubb is going to run him into the ground this year. :argh:

Yes, because any starter with only two pitches is going to get loving murdered past the second or third inning

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
As always, Bartolo is the exception that proves the rule.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Even Mariano Rivera, the greatest one pitch pitcher ever, was terrible as a starter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

As always, Bartolo is the exception that proves the rule.

Bartolo threw a fastball, slider, and changeup

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can you lower ticket prices to gently caress the owner over a bit and give the great people of San Diego cheap tickets to watch the dynasty that is being built? Or would he take that out of the annual budget?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Back when Bartolo was with the Angels there was a game in which he threw like 125 fastballs

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Niwrad posted:

Can you lower ticket prices to gently caress the owner over a bit and give the great people of San Diego cheap tickets to watch the dynasty that is being built? Or would he take that out of the annual budget?

I back this sentiment; unless it fucks over our own budget I say give quality baseball to the masses at affordable prices.

(Also do we have control over the stadium itself because we could totally jack up the price on pop to cover the ticket losses if that was necessary for the budget)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Back when Bartolo was with the Angels there was a game in which he threw like 125 fastballs

for some reason that reminds me of bruce chen, noted panamanian, and his killer 'leftball' that kept him in the majors for like 15 years

btw i have some videos of korean players doing bat flips

this one has incredibly bad background music. you may or may not be amused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ggQf5UP4w

even worse background music but it shows off the bat flips themselves better i spose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQskUmD_eY

korea is a good thing to have around

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
typically irl the teams have very little control over their venue at all and the primary tool they use to affect change in the venue is "threaten to leave town and go somewhere that will listen"

so i'd find it pretty weird if this game let you mess with ticket prices

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Coolguye posted:

typically irl the teams have very little control over their venue at all and the primary tool they use to affect change in the venue is "threaten to leave town and go somewhere that will listen"

so i'd find it pretty weird if this game let you mess with ticket prices

Ticket prices to the games are absolutely set by the team. The team pays rent, and all the venue cares is that the rent is paid. As for what degree of the concessions, etc, are staffed by and/or priced by the teams, that's usually on a team-by-team basis. Some venues have their own people staffing the posts, some venues hire/contract it out. It really varies.

In the realm of OOTP, I don't think we can set concession prices and ticket prices aren't particularly granular (or at least they weren't in the most recent one I played, which was 18, I think.) You basically set a single static price at the beginning of the season and that's it. I'm pretty sure it's because the game is focused on simming the baseball and not the actual financials of attendance of every single game.

As for spiting the owner, let's uh... let's not do that. Part of the reason we took the Dads was to moneyball our way to the top anyway. And in the sim sense, we're definitely getting that experience. Running the Twins in OOTP is the same sort of fruitless GIVE US MONEY pleas that being a real life fan (and presumably FO) is like under the Pohlads.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

bewbies posted:

I know my mantra is "Don't Pay Relievers" but we need to hang on to this guy no matter what. Because he has to be a fan favorite with that nickname.

You know his "Closer" music is just "Whinny the Pooh" set to a K-Pop remix.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

I think right now we're 3rd in the league in attendance, and we have among the leagues lowest ticket prices. We're selling out about half the games. If we cut ticket prices it'll almost certainly reduce our money available as our owner will want his cut too, and it'll just be out of a smaller pot of money.

Good news is that we're probably in line to see an increase in both market size and loyalty soon as we've been good now for a few years. A series win this year would be big.

And yeah, "ticket price" is just one number (I think ours is $18). that side of the finance sim is very, very simplistic, like there isn't any modeling of stadium cost or anything like that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 Playoffs

We have the St Louis Cardinals in the NLDS. They barely squeaked into the playoffs and should be an easy series.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
A pox on this cursed team that I love so much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What I love about OOTP is that if you simulate hundreds of (modern) seasons with it, it really pounds home the reality that the playoffs are completely loving random.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
We lost the series because Dylan Cozens had a 2 HR game to put the Cards ahead in Game 4. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
undone by Dylan Cozens

He was the MVP in both NL playoff series too

2020 Offseason

This isn't a great place, but it isn't terrible. We crashed out of the playoffs again, and we're officially up against the wall financially, but we still have the best young core of players in the game, along with a rejuvenated (#1 overall) farm system.

The bad news: we are starting this offseason about $3m in the hole, and a bunch of young guys are starting to hit their expensive arbitration years. The good news: our owner gave us a decent bump in budget ($150m), and our fan loyalty AND market size went up. So, more money should be on the way starting next season! For now though, we're stuck.

VOTE

OFFSEASON STRATEGY

Issue #1:

Do we need to CLEAR SALARY? Our options for doing so are limited: we basically trade away a young, blue chip player or players in his arb years for a prospect.

Justin Williams and Bryan Reynolds are the two best possibilities for a trade. Williams is on a very reasonable contract, and Reynolds is about to hit his first arb year at ~$10-11m. So, trading them sucks, but we have solid youngsters ready to backfill for them...Nelson Velzquez for Williams, amd Gabriel Maciel for Reynolds. Trading one or the other would get us in the black for this season and let us play in the free agent market or trade market a bit. We can keep both, but that'll be pretty much it for our spending this year. Both will bring back outstanding prospect packages.

Luis Urias is another possibility. He's set to make $6m next year, and is one of the better 2Bs in the game (he'll win another GG and hit above league average). We have two blue chip 2Bs ready to go behind him though, with Caiden Matheny and Matthew Lugo.

Do we:

A - Trade Williams

B - Trade Reynolds

C - Trade Urias

D - Trade them all

E - Keep them all

Issue #2: is options, extensions, and arbitration.

For arbitration, I say we withdraw for Bobby Bradley (sadface). We can consider trading guys like Gohara or Hudson for salary relief once they're signed to arb deals.

For extensions, lol for right now. We have no money.

Issue #3 is: A new first baseman

We have a few options here. Josh Naylor has 30 HR power and could OPS 850+, but is an embarrassingly bad glove. Like, Adam Dunn bad. Jeans Garcia is a great glove and OBP machine, but has pretty poor power. BLAZE JORDAN could potentially be ready for an ML look, depending on how his spring goes (he turns 20 in December and ripped apart A ball last year). Or, if we free some salary, we could sign a free agent or make a trade. Until we clear some cash though, any trade will have to be for a guy not yet on a ML deal.

do we

A - Give the orgs internal guys a chance to step up

B - Trade for a ML-ready prospect

C - Free some salary and sign a proven vet

Upload should be finished shortly.

• Locked thread