Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo the Ottomans are just gone. Is that Austria? What the gently caress even happened here?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hoping it's Transylvania.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Austria and Venice have split the balkans and Greece it would seem.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yep, it's Austria... somehow.

Hungary is independent so :shrug:

The rest of Europe looks pretty normal except for Iberia:

I don't think I've ever seen the Ottos get wiped out like this before.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm thinking they got skanderberged

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A properly motivated Austria can strangle the Turks in the cradle fairly easily with just a little luck. It's probably the first move for any player Austria.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Suez is really useful if you're playing an empire that straddles Europe and Asia and want to move your navy between the med and the Indian Ocean without sailing all the way around africa

Oh, I can see that, but in those games I usually just have a local navy for the spice islands region and another for the Mediterranean. By the time the canals appear you've likely already crushed other navies that could dwarf your own, in my experience. and even if not, 10k ducats buys a -lot- of ships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I've seen the Ottomans decide to attack Albania first even though they were allies with Hungary, and Mamluks+Karaman seem to like invading the Ottomans if they're losing an early war. If both of those happened in the same game I could see the AI giving the Ottomans a hard time.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Any starter tips, or a good guide how to play EU4?

Play with mapgoons, unironically.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baudin posted:

Play with mapgoons, unironically.

:yeah:

Playing a smallish country and teaming up with somebody with a big country that could still use the army or trade help (Portugal with Castile, Venice with Austria, or one of the Irish minors with England come to mind) is a good way to dip your feet in the pool.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yeesh, I forgot how apocalyptic Religious League Wars got when the Ottomans side with Austria. Thank Christ for the Commonwealth.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeesh, I forgot how apocalyptic Religious League Wars got when the Ottomans side with Austria. Thank Christ for the Commonwealth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewDmQPt1ss

Remains my favourite meme vid.

Also with a whole lotta luck as Lithuania you can get PU's over Bohemia, Poland and Muscovy and then steal Sweden off Denmark before the age rolls around.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was hilarious. I was just waiting for the Ottomans to show up as something and I think not having seen the movie made it better.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Quick but dumb questions... how many of you never realized the morale bar goes yellow if you don't have 100% land maintenance? Or you have problems spotting the color difference?
(I never realized this might be a problem until today after a conversation I had with an old veteran that didn't know this was a thing)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

Quick but dumb questions... how many of you never realized the morale bar goes yellow if you don't have 100% land maintenance? Or you have problems spotting the color difference?
(I never realized this might be a problem until today after a conversation I had with an old veteran that didn't know this was a thing)

:psyduck:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I mean now really looking at it, the "yellow" and the green is really loving close. I was surprised first but now comparing the two I am not at all.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Groogy posted:

I mean now really looking at it, the "yellow" and the green is really loving close. I was surprised first but now comparing the two I am not at all.

:psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

I think I've always known, but that might be because a guy mentioning it when I watched his videos way back before I bought the game. But I kinda never remember to reduce maintenance. Oh and I have no problems telling them apart at all but I also have no issues with color or my eyes in general so I can't speak for anyone else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groogy posted:

Is he colorblind? The difference is very obvious to me

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

I had no idea that this was a thing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The variant of colourblindness that includes yellow and green is pretty common so a fair chunk probably never realized.

E: Fair chunk being a few percent of players.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not colourblind I just have no reason to think that, of all things, the colour of a bar which usually provides information to the player via its fullness would change only under specific circumstances. Like, when I look at that bar the exact colour of the body of the bar is not the thing that I'm looking for, I'm looking to see how full it is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Whoever heard of a health bar changing color

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

Whoever heard of a health bar changing color

Health bars usually don't change color when staying at the same level of fullness, though. I knew about this, but it's not the most intuitive of concepts. And there are a lot of colorblind people who simply can't see the difference.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Any tips for good idea groups for England? Trying my first run after Rule Britannia. Also, is it worth it to go anglican?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sephyr posted:

Any tips for good idea groups for England? Trying my first run after Rule Britannia. Also, is it worth it to go anglican?

No real gain to staying Catholic.

Early Administrative is almost a must for all that land you're gonna be eating.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Groogy posted:

I realized this immediately. I agree with others that color blindness would be responsible. Maybe add stripes when not at full strength?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Unless you simply never touch the maintenance slider or are colorblind, how could you not notice? "Hm all my armies health bars turned yellow just as I reduced the maintenance, well this is mystery that can't be solved"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I rarely play beyond the point where you have more than like 2 full size armies at once because that's getting into "too big to fail" territory so the amount of screen space taken up by my armies' morale bars is minimal.

I'd suggest that if this is supposed to be more noticable that the background element for the army size indicator also changes colour under the same circumstances. Or that the morale indicator doesn't fill up all the way (i.e. it should be based on your theoretical maximum morale at full maintenance rather than your current max morale)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Change the soldier's animations so they sit down at low maintenance and sorta slouch around instead of marching, like a very tired Sim.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sephyr posted:

If you're going to be fighting France a lot, Defensive is extremely important for countering their +20% morale bonus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless France also takes defensive. :v:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Yeah, if you’re planning on fighting the French, you definitely want Administrative and Defensive. I mean, generally you want those, but if you’re investing in crushing the French, Exploration can wait until your 3rd idea slot. Hell, you can leave it until your 4th as long as you don’t have your heart set on a particular part of America or the Cape.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you only have to fight france once and it's well before you get ideas. unless you don't want a free pu

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Not... really? It does sound like a color-blindness thing. I know a bunch of games have put in color blindness modes.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Beamed posted:

No real gain to staying Catholic.

Disagree, depending on the circumstances. I'm running a game as Catholic Britain and I was able to stake a claim on the entirety of North America and most of the Caribbean, with no real competition, due to Tordesillas abuse.

Factor in Curia control bonuses (if you can get em) and Proclaim Holy War and Anglicanism can be a straight downgrade imo

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

RabidWeasel posted:

I rarely play beyond the point where you have more than like 2 full size armies at once because that's getting into "too big to fail" territory so the amount of screen space taken up by my armies' morale bars is minimal.

I'd suggest that if this is supposed to be more noticable that the background element for the army size indicator also changes colour under the same circumstances. Or that the morale indicator doesn't fill up all the way (i.e. it should be based on your theoretical maximum morale at full maintenance rather than your current max morale)

The yellow provides a nice visual indicator that "this army is at low morale but is also at max morale", which differentiates it from "this army is at low morale but it will regain some at the end of the month"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Groogy posted:

I think I noticed it about 30 seconds after I turned maintenance down the first time.

If you don't notice it, you're probably not really looking at that bar in the first place, so it's probably fine.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

oddium posted:

you only have to fight france once and it's well before you get ideas. unless you don't want a free pu

What do you mean, just once? I thought there'd be the early war (usually over Maine), and the you get the CB to unite them, meaning at the very least 2 wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why not a slash through the morale line to show that you're slashing army maintenance?

edit:

Also it's weird as hell there isn't a custom new world option or just a tick for uhhh, Sunset Invasion

All I really wanna do is add Antartica, Atlantis and Mu really

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 14, 2018