Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I assume these are the same monsters that jiggle the door at public bathrooms. Of all people the most deserving of summary execution short of Literal Hitlers.

Bathroom peeve: single-occupant toilets that are gendered. It’s so stupid to see some women/men waiting in line while the men’s/women’s room just site empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Photoshop stealing focus.
Every single time it's started, it keeps stealing focus until it's completely initialised, meaning I can't do anything else while I wait for it to open.
It's the only program that works like that.
The only program I can't just start up then alt-tab over to something else in the meanwhile.

And programs that block interaction while they're doing 1 simple thing.
This is a loving constant annoyance in 3D programs, because so often you'll be using some feature or another than only runs on 1 cpu thread, but hardlocks the program until it's done.

Seriously, I know parts of you are as old as me, but I'd really like it if I were allowed to do more than 1 thing at a time.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Games that can only make use of one monitor but still black out all of your other monitors while running. Sometimes switching to borderless mode fixes it, sometimes the settings do nothing.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I assume these are the same monsters that jiggle the door at public bathrooms. Of all people the most deserving of summary execution short of Literal Hitlers.

Bathroom peeve: single-occupant toilets that are gendered. It’s so stupid to see some women/men waiting in line while the men’s/women’s room just site empty.

See also: assholes who watch the gendered bathrooms like a hawk in case one of us evil trans people go in there to pee. Look, buddy, I gotta pee and I would like to pee in a way that won't get me murdered, but in this case I will make an exception by forcefully pissing into your eyes.

Secondary pet peeve: headphones getting caught on things.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They should work like elevators, and one will flash when it's ready.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

Yep. Certain jobs I get it, if the store absolutely needs to open at 7:00 sharp so the three grandmas who've been clawing at the doors since 6:30 won't literally die, then yeah, being early enough to get the necessary poo poo done before then is an understandable requirement. (I think people should still be scheduled and paid earlier in that case, of course.) If there's a shift change involved and another employee can't leave until you get there, gently caress yes you better be on time.

But I've never heard a quote like that at a job like that. It's always an office, where nobody actually does work for their entire workday, there's no 7:05 deadline, and it's said by ambitious bros who only want to brag about how gleefully punctual they are because it pleases management. It's said in reference to meetings where only one person is presenting and everyone else just has to literally arrive and open a notebook. gently caress being 10 minutes early for that.

Yeah, if you "start at 7" but you are actually required to be there at 6:45 to be ready to work at 7, then you actually start at 6:45 and must be paid accordingly.

And yeah, for me the deciding factor is whether your timeliness actively affects other people. If someone can't leave til you get there (or if people are waiting on you to get a meeting started) get there on time (for whatever shared understanding of "on time" you have; if everyone's late by the same amount all the time, including the person you're replacing, and everyone's cool with it, then there's no problem).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I honestly think that commute time should be paid time too.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

docbeard posted:

Same tbh. Or at least give me a gas allowance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

I have a job that pays me for commute time, but only if I’m going to something at a site instead of the office. It’s a pain in the balls, since sometimes they reschedule me to drive to the office that’s an hour away and I don’t get paid for it.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

FluxFaun posted:

See also: assholes who watch the gendered bathrooms like a hawk in case one of us evil trans people go in there to pee. Look, buddy, I gotta pee and I would like to pee in a way that won't get me murdered, but in this case I will make an exception by forcefully pissing into your eyes.

I hate people like this! I'm a cisgendered woman and I don't give a poo poo about sharing the bathroom with someone who isn't.

I'm not uncomfortable with a trans person sharing the bathroom with me, but I would be uncomfortable sharing the bathroom with someone who wants to double-check the genitalia of everyone in the room with them.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Get rid of urinals and make everything gender neutral. If you miss the experience of a urinal splash a little pee on your shoes while you hold a picture of someone's dick in your peripheral vision.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

seriously. the gently caress are y'all standing for anyway, you're just misting pee everywhere. sit down.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

We had single-occupancy gendered restrooms at work until somebody pried off the signs and thew them away when nobody was looking. It took over a year for some shithead to notice and complain, and by then everyone had figured out that it works better to just let people pee in whatever toilet is available.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

We had single-occupancy gendered restrooms at work until somebody pried off the signs and thew them away when nobody was looking. It took over a year for some shithead to notice and complain, and by then everyone had figured out that it works better to just let people pee in whatever toilet is available.

See that's the sort of direct action we need more of.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Things that could work on computers but just don't. Today's example: Instagram. I thought I'd give it a look since everyone seems to be on it these days, and I was able to create an account and follow people, but apparently if I want to change my profile information or actually post anything I need to download the app onto my phone - which I can't because my phone is poo poo.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

You Are A Elf posted:

Saw a Vince Lombardi quote at a work site the other day that made my blood boil:

Go gently caress yourself, gently caress off, and kiss my rear end, Vince. People that live their life by a clock are the absolute worst. Five minutes early is perfectly acceptable. Exactly on time is also perfectly acceptable. Even a few minutes late is perfectly acceptable because poo poo happens sometimes that is out of our control.

If someone told me to be at a place by 3 PM, I got there at 2:55 PM and was told I'm late, I would loving leave and never come back.

My psycho store manager (thank Jesus I moved stores away from him) literally told us Manager that he, and we have to, too, write ANYONE up for being 5 or more minutes late. loving psycho. Like literally, should be in an asylum. I obviously didn't enforce it if they called, or even if they called late because shot happens. Unless it's a major deal like I NEED that employee cause they're the only one who can do that job, I'm not writing them up. I don't even write up people who don't call and stroll in late, I give them a verbal warning FIRST to call the store. If it's a pattern (ie more than 2 times), THEN I write them up.

E: my mom actually suggested I get to work ONE HOUR early to show that I "am ready to work and care about my job!!!!" Bitch I'm paid hourly and let's say I get there at 9:30 I still am not allowed to clock in until 10:25 for a 10:30 shift (or whatever), and I live 15 minutes from my job, why the gently caress would I want to sit around there for an hour?!?!!

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Oct 15, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FluxFaun posted:

seriously. the gently caress are y'all standing for anyway, you're just misting pee everywhere. sit down.

And get my pristine rear end covered with some other guy's rear end juices? Hell no.

I'm glad jastiger, forums ambassador of men sitting down to pee, isn't here anymore to argue about this point for several pages.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

rodbeard posted:

Get rid of urinals and make everything gender neutral. If you miss the experience of a urinal splash a little pee on your shoes while you hold a picture of someone's dick in your peripheral vision.

This would solve so many problems.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

You Are A Elf posted:

Saw a Vince Lombardi quote at a work site the other day that made my blood boil:

Go gently caress yourself, gently caress off, and kiss my rear end, Vince. People that live their life by a clock are the absolute worst. Five minutes early is perfectly acceptable. Exactly on time is also perfectly acceptable. Even a few minutes late is perfectly acceptable because poo poo happens sometimes that is out of our control.

If someone told me to be at a place by 3 PM, I got there at 2:55 PM and was told I'm late, I would loving leave and never come back.

Here is my pet peeve: Registering for a class and having this in the confirmation email, "Classroom sessions begin promptly, so please plan to arrive early. Late participants may not be permitted to the class and will be required to reschedule."

Then getting there early, finding my seat, start time rolls around and the instructor goes, "Ah, looks like we still have a few more people so we're going to wait until everybody shows up."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Here is my pet peeve: Registering for a class and having this in the confirmation email, "Classroom sessions begin promptly, so please plan to arrive early. Late participants may not be permitted to the class and will be required to reschedule."

Then getting there early, finding my seat, start time rolls around and the instructor goes, "Ah, looks like we still have a few more people so we're going to wait until everybody shows up."

I hate that - if you're going to write down a rule, enforce it. When I taught a class the syllabus was really strict about missing labs, so I enforced it at first until they cried to the head of the lab courses and he made me take an entire day out of my own time to let them make up a semester's worth of labs. I just wanted to fail somebody (that deserved it), but he decided to take all the fun out of teaching and not let me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate my co-workers. They made such a deal about my sick period when I went in to cross some final Ts. (I finally go back tomorrow but had to take 3 weeks for a really bad graze on my knee to heal. It's still not fully there, but it's close enough that with a plaster on it I have full mobility without any pain, although I'm needing to wear shorts as my trousers rub badly and really hurt). If my managers don't complain about it, then shut the hell up, because I'm following all the protocols correctly. If I'm not in a day early it's for good reasons, aka my knee is still healing so I needed to ensure I had my shorts for tomorrow, which I do now, and I needed to temporarily come in for the hour today to print off a back-to-work form so I wouldn't spend the start of yesterday faffing with the printer, as my personal printer isn't working. Also if I had come in to work as scheduled I wouldn't be able to get more anti-bacterial wipes for the rest of the week for until my wound finally no longer needs a plaster, because of the pharmacy opening times. Hell it my be that by tomorrow I don't need the bandaid anymore, but I'm not risking it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That reminds me of one of mine: how the whole AA meeting setup “hi I’m Bob and I’m an alcoholic.” “Hi Bob” etc, is so often used for comedy in media. I worry it drives away people who need help.

It's used even more by "that guy" that wants to be funny when introducing himself.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

morning people. I'm civil but I'm not gonna be cheerful first thing in the drat morning, quit acting like I'm personally punching your grandmother in the face if I'm not constantly smiling and gleeful first thing in the morning.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If another goy goyimsplains to me about how Are President has supported The Jewish State more than any other and is totally not at all similar to a nazi, I swear to Hashem...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If another goy goyimsplains to me about how Are President has supported The Jewish State more than any other and is totally not at all similar to a nazi, I swear to Hashem...

It's fun to reveal to those people that you're a Jew who doesn't like Israel, though it's not quite as mind-blowing to them as being a left-leaning person who doesn't like Hillary/Obama/Joe Biden/insert democrat here.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

People who are incapable of reading in their heads
I sit next to a guy at work who just mutters under his breath all day like hes trying to ASMR me or something and its so loving uncomfortable. I've brought it up but he claims he doesnt realise hes doing it which i think is bullshit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate the "I don't realize i'm doing it" excuse for anything. You get to use it once. After the first time, you become aware you are doing it, so you either choose to make a conscious effort to stop, or not. At least be honest the next time and say "i'm not going to stop doing it" instead of clinging to your intentional lack of awareness.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

After the first time, you become aware you are doing it
No you don't. Things that you habitually do without noticing don't just suddenly become fully conscious and intentional just because someone points them out to you one time. That is just not how it works.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

No you don't. Things that you habitually do without noticing don't just suddenly become fully conscious and intentional just because someone points them out to you one time. That is just not how it works.
So after someone tells you you're doing it, you don't know you're doing it?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

That's where the "conscious effort" to stop doing it part you left out of the quote comes in. That is how it works. You either choose to do it, or choose not to bother.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

So after someone tells you you're doing it, you don't know you're doing it?

You know right then and there. Not two days later when you're unconsciously doing it again.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

To be clear he went back to doing it inside 5 minutes and the tone of how he said it to me was very much "i dont give a gently caress"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My pet peeve is people who don't like good and cool music such as my whistling and humming and WHO DARE TO TRY TO SILENCE MY GENIUS

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When I miss exactly one (1) line of single hairs when shaving. Now it's gonna bug me all day.

edit: SECONDARY PEEVE: when you're on hold to talk to someone and the stupid system keeps interrupting the music with a *click* and then a voice- I either think I've been disconnected or that someone's actually picked up and it pisses me clean off every single time.

FluxFaun has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Oct 16, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FluxFaun posted:

When I miss exactly one (1) line of single hairs when shaving. Now it's gonna bug me all day.

edit: SECONDARY PEEVE: when you're on hold to talk to someone and the stupid system keeps interrupting the music with a *click* and then a voice- I either think I've been disconnected or that someone's actually picked up and it pisses me clean off every single time.

dooo dooo dooo dooo CLICK

"Hi I-"

"THANK YOU FOR HOLDING, A REPRESENTATIVE WILL BE WITH YOU SHORTLY"

CLICK doooooooooo dooo da da da doo

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
This guy in one of my classes constantly shakes his leg to the point where the whole row of seats is basically vibrating. It's so distracting, and a few people have asked him to stop, and he says "oh sorry" and goes right back to it like five minutes later.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly don’t notice my leg shaking sometimes. I have things I do out of habit that I only rarely catch myself doing.

It’s weird. Don’t hate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly don’t notice my leg shaking sometimes. I have things I do out of habit that I only rarely catch myself doing.

It’s weird. Don’t hate.

Maybe you have parkinson's

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who can't seem to end a conversation. Case in point:

How was "I'm off, take care." not the end? How do you say that and then just keep talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

Things that could work on computers but just don't. Today's example: Instagram. I thought I'd give it a look since everyone seems to be on it these days, and I was able to create an account and follow people, but apparently if I want to change my profile information or actually post anything I need to download the app onto my phone - which I can't because my phone is poo poo.

Hey, there's a pretty easy (if dumb) workaround for this: assuming you're using Chrome right-click on the page and hit Inspect, then click on the little Toggle Device button at the top (or hit Ctrl Shift M) to make it show you the mobile view.

You have to do this to post; however you should be able to edit your profile info without doing this.