Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Maxwells Demon posted:

As an Oregon fan I feel we should be around 15 and everyone has us around 12 so I do not feel disrespected.

If we beat Wazzu next week then sure we should be 10th or better.

Yeah yeah, everybody's poor-mouthing these days but they fail to take into account that all teams suck and everyone is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

So in the USC/Colorado game, the Colorado coach went for 2 when they were down 11. Here is his explanation

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianhowell33/status/1051372398899908608?s=21

This actually makes perfect sense. When I was watching, the Colorado QB hit the pylon, but was potentially out of bounds, the ref signaled out of bounds, the QB looked at him and made the touchdown sign and that same ref then kind of passively made the touchdown sign back (that was my "I guess you can just ask a ref to change the call in the Pac-12 and they will" joke in the GDT). It was clear on camera but it was a sideline shot and no one else appeared to be around. No one else made any signal and the players were already lining up for the next play.

MourningView posted:

I wanna talk to the person or people still voting for Auburn

Auburn's ranking the last TWO years has been really puzzling.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fire up the coaching carousel thread

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

They were actually good last year!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fire up the coaching carousel thread

Ask and you shall receive: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871520

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scionix posted:

nobody is saying the RB in this situation is defenseless.

if you lead with the crown, whether the player is defenseless or not, it's targeting. Doesn't matter if they're defenseless, if you hit them in the stomach, etc etc. If you lead with the crown of the helmet it is targeting. This is the part that is easily fixable as you can just coach your players to not be idiots and always keep their facemask up instead of trying to submarine people.

the OTHER side of targeting is if you "forcibly" contact a defenseless player with ANY part of your body above the defenseless player's shoulders. This is the trickier one, because there are a lot of situations, especially with receivers, where they are catching a ball and coming down to the ground, and are thus "defenseless", and a safety is running over on the play trying to obliterate them in order to shake the ball loose. Understandably, receivers generally feel this coming and curl up, which lowers their head/neck area and causes the defender to run into their head instead of what they were originally lined up for.

Okay I think that makes sense, the rule I saw someone post was a “these things PLUS defenseless player” and I realize now there’s another part that is automatic with crown of helmet. I’m just figuring it out in like year 4 of this.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

i basically agree with the rankings i think, i'd probably put florida and oregon over oklahoma but whatever

Florida yes, Oregon lol

Their SOS is abysmal, would be surprised if Wazzou didn't win next week and wouldn't be shocked if they stomped the poo poo out of them

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

TipTow posted:

Florida yes, Oregon lol

Their SOS is abysmal, would be surprised if Wazzou didn't win next week and wouldn't be shocked if they stomped the poo poo out of them

oklahoma has had a soft as hell schedule too and oregon has a better win than oklahoma does imo. Its not really a big deal and will sort itself out. I think I mainly just fail to see what exactly oklahoma has done this season to impress anyone. Their defense has been shambles and they needed a good bit of luck to beat army. Their best win is Iowa St, which everyone is high on them after this week but they're still just a 3-3 team and looked like poo poo then. i think i just highly value actually beating at least one good team, even if the rest of the schedule is soft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Actually Rutgers Is Historically Average

https://twitter.com/BiggerTen/status/1051591043886587904?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
KJI please come back

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

5 of Rutgers' 6 toughest opponents are still remaining on their schedule. The lines on some of those games are gonna be hilarious

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm sure it's already been posted in this thread, but can we just laugh at Rutgers passing stats from yesterday again?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
If you want to watch good teams I find your decision to watch amateur sports confusing

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If you pluck any of our doughy asses off the street and have us line up under center, would we do worse?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
During the Vandy game, the commentators spent like a full 3 minutes just making GBS threads on Vandy's administration. It was full-on "These facilities are garbage. This stadium is garbage. Vandy gets so much money from the SEC and then doesn't spend it on the program, such a disservice to the players and fans."

I dunno maybe it was on the SEC network and their boss wanted them to embarrass the administration a bit.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

If you pluck any of our doughy asses off the street and have us line up under center, would we do worse?

I would. I've never been good at throwing a football. Although maybe that means more incompletions and I wouldn't throw so many picks? :v:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I feel like all my passes would just clang to the ground incomplete which would somehow be a huge improvement

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
During the Texas game they spent I don’t know how long ignoring the game to repeatedly explain that the QB playing for Texas had not transferred to a school other than Texas

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

oklahoma has had a soft as hell schedule too

Oklahoma SOS rank: 24

Oregon SOS rank: 111

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Oregon beat a decent Washington team by a field goal at home.

OU has no quality wins, true, but to argue (or believe) that Oregon is better than Oklahoma this year is laughable. Oregon would be 4-2 or 3-3 with OU's schedule, as "soft" as it is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

During the Texas game they spent I don’t know how long ignoring the game to repeatedly explain that the QB playing for Texas had not transferred to a school other than Texas

Announcers have decided to respond to any game where a backup QB plays by repeatedly shouting "THIS IS WHY YOU DONT TRANFER, KELLY BRYANT" and it's extremely annoying. It happened in every highlight of the Bama game I saw yesterday too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Kansas State Wildcats beat Oklahoma State by running all the gently caress over them.

I hope this continues and was not a flash in the pan against a terrible defense.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

I would. I've never been good at throwing a football. Although maybe that means more incompletions and I wouldn't throw so many picks? :v:

My stat line would look like 0/3 1 sack 1 fumble before I left the game suffering from died, so it would definitely look better

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can't see over an offensive line but my decision making would be better. I would probably get sacked and fumble three times before being pulled.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Strobe posted:

The Kansas State Wildcats beat Oklahoma State by running all the gently caress over them.

I hope this continues and was not a flash in the pan against a terrible defense.

Snyder gonna Snyder.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TipTow posted:

OU has no quality wins, true, but to argue (or believe) that Oregon is better than Oklahoma this year is laughable. Oregon would be 4-2 or 3-3 with OU's schedule, as "soft" as it is.

Hmm... where do you see the losses for Oregon playing Oklahoma's schedule? Texas and.. Iowa st.? Army?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't see over an offensive line but my decision making would be better. I would probably get sacked and fumble three times before being pulled.

Hey, give yourself some credit and think you'd launch a wounded duck out of bounds while getting chased.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Rick posted:

This actually makes perfect sense. When I was watching, the Colorado QB hit the pylon, but was potentially out of bounds, the ref signaled out of bounds, the QB looked at him and made the touchdown sign and that same ref then kind of passively made the touchdown sign back (that was my "I guess you can just ask a ref to change the call in the Pac-12 and they will" joke in the GDT). It was clear on camera but it was a sideline shot and no one else appeared to be around. No one else made any signal and the players were already lining up for the next play.

They were definitely good last year, they returned a high profile QB and they had a lot of promising pieces in place for this season so I get why they had the benefit of the doubt for the first couple losses. After yesterday there is no way they should be receiving votes as it's very apparent the team has regressed massively from last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Line me up in the shotgun and I'm not getting sacked.

Every play would be intentional grounding because I'd immediately spike the ball which isn't legal unless you're under center. Line me up under center and I'm definitely fumbling every snap though.

e: oooh, line me up in the gun with a running back beside me. I feel like I could spike the ball at his feet pretty well as long as he was only a couple of feet away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Hey, give yourself some credit and think you'd launch a wounded duck out of bounds while getting chased.

I once saw Brandon Weeden throw a pick while attempting to throw the ball away in a weird shoveling motion. It would be kind of like that.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I would just audible to a run play every single play, if we don't win, it's on the O-Line/RBs not me

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

dphi posted:

Hmm... where do you see the losses for Oregon playing Oklahoma's schedule? Texas and.. Iowa st.? Army?

Two to three of Texas, Iowa State, and Baylor.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
are we pretending Baylor is good now because Tom Herman did what he does in every game where he's a favorite?

I don't think they're better than Oklahoma but Oregon is a legit good team that should probably be undefeated

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TipTow posted:

Two to three of Texas, Iowa State, and Baylor.

oregon and texas might go to the wire but iowa state and baylor are third tier big 12 teams at best

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Iowa state is a giant slayer do not underestimate them

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just checked the standings and ISU is firmly in the middle of the Big 12 thank you very much.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

yeah im not saying oregon is amazing but they're very close to undefeated and just knocked off a pretty decent washington team . They have a weak SOS on the whole yeah but that doesn't make them bad in in itself

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Metapod posted:

Iowa state is a giant slayer do not underestimate them

the pitt of the big 12 for sure

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
if this is true y'all can enjoy some free money

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraPG/status/1051573290102386688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I would just audible to a run play every single play, if we don't win, it's on the O-Line/RBs not me

Please don't steal my amazing NCAA 14 strats

• Locked thread