Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Suburban Dad posted:

Relax, it's probably just your discs slowly smashing down as you get older. :corsair:

Ugh. It feels better sitting, standing up or moving around. It's laying down that sucks.

Woke up at 4-5AM and felt terrible. Went to the spare bedroom and tried to fall asleep, back was too far sore so I started experimenting. Bring legs up, going into the fetal position, various stretches, nothing really seemed to help. Then I tried to put a pillow under my legs... seemed to help a bit but them tried it between my legs and went back on my side. Seemed to help more so I got a thicker pillow and tried it again, seemed to help even more. I'll try to fall asleep tonight with a pillow like that and see if it helps. This 4-5 hours of sleep is going to kill me if I can't figure this out.

See the doctor tomorrow AM, hopefully he has some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People are not cars. The data on surgery is not compelling. Big shock: The people trained to perform surgery and who get paid when they perform surgery often recommend surgery even when the long-term outcomes are not great for many chronic back issues.

gonna see a neurosurgeon? have some nightmare fuel

https://www.propublica.org/article/dr-death-christopher-duntsch-a-surgeon-so-bad-it-was-criminal

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

I stopped playing in early 2014, which iirc was right around the time we lost Dek, or at least there were convoys to Delve going on at the time. I wasn't interested in moving my poo poo again and was pretty burnt out already by the time I went to Fanfest that year. When CCP banned me for scratching Xenuria's name off the monument I actually hadn't logged in for more than a few minutes for the better part of a month.

Holy poo poo that was you??

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

How is your shoulder doing anyways? I don't think I've seen you update on it other than your sleeping troubles.

Collar bone is healing the doctor thinks, so just patiently waiting for that to get better and fuse. I can lift my arm again but can't really hold anything heavy (>5 lbs, lol). Muscles are wrecked on that shoulder. PT to start in a couple weeks.

Thanks for asking.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Unless all of your stuff was in a POS it’s probably all asset safetied in lowersec now

(give me your stuff pls tia :3:)
Maybe I should check on them. IIRC I had carriers for each of my main chars, a freighter for each of my main chars, an erebus (IIRC my nyx got deadified by being stupid), a half dozen 2B isk T3s... a full double set of capital BPOs... I left when stations were just about to get swapped to... whatever they changed into. And right after capitals started being able to take gates. I think my corp got kicked from goons for inactivity a while back.

Humphreys posted:

We probably chatted a bunch. Zeek.
I dont remember many names, but that does sound familiar.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Elephanthead posted:

Switch to a the lowest out of pocket insurance you can get for next year because just the steroid injection is $10k and will take you over the limit. Then try that. Go to a real back doctor, one that will slice you open and grind the disc or fuse your spine together do not gently caress around with guys that don't do real fixes. You wouldn't fix the crank in your car by massaging the oil pan.

To be honest though, we were taught that disc hernia operations have pretty much the same outcome as leaving it alone and doing physiotherapy. The only real advantage was the reduced time it took to recover from the disc hernia.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

Collar bone is healing the doctor thinks, so just patiently waiting for that to get better and fuse. I can lift my arm again but can't really hold anything heavy (>5 lbs, lol). Muscles are wrecked on that shoulder. PT to start in a couple weeks.

Thanks for asking.

:(

I hope you can fully recover. One of my new coworkers just got retirement forced on him because his rotator cuff surgery was unsuccessful. I live in constant fear of injuring my back even with my actual good insurance.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Holy poo poo that was you??

Yep.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I never really played but I hang out with a shitload of am0kdotte folk. Actually a bunch should be at the meat meet on nov 3rd at my place.

Travis "Travis Wells" Wells and rydis and her dude specifically.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People are not cars. The data on surgery is not compelling. Big shock: The people trained to perform surgery and who get paid when they perform surgery often recommend surgery even when the long-term outcomes are not great for many chronic back issues.

Or doctors who get kickbacks from from pharmaceutical companies recommend meds that are not necessarily great for patients either. My gastro doc was pushing Humira on me so hard I swear they offered him a new Mercedes or something, thank god I didn't go that route.

slidebite posted:

Ugh. It feels better sitting, standing up or moving around. It's laying down that sucks.

Woke up at 4-5AM and felt terrible. Went to the spare bedroom and tried to fall asleep, back was too far sore so I started experimenting. Bring legs up, going into the fetal position, various stretches, nothing really seemed to help. Then I tried to put a pillow under my legs... seemed to help a bit but them tried it between my legs and went back on my side. Seemed to help more so I got a thicker pillow and tried it again, seemed to help even more. I'll try to fall asleep tonight with a pillow like that and see if it helps. This 4-5 hours of sleep is going to kill me if I can't figure this out.

See the doctor tomorrow AM, hopefully he has some ideas.

Did you try sleeping on the floor? If it feels better initially it's a sign that you need a much firmer mattress. Go to a mattress store and lay on a firm mattress and you should be able to tell right away if it will help, you need to keep your spine as straight as possible, and a soft or medium mattress is not going to do that. My mattress has a firmer spot right in the pelvis area that keeps the pelvis from sinking down, that's the killer for your back is when the pelvis sinks into the mattress you're sleeping on.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Big shock: The people trained to perform surgery and who get paid when they perform surgery often recommend surgery even when the long-term outcomes are not great for many chronic back issues.

Why, it's almost like for-profit healthcare is a bad idea or something?

:thunk:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why, it's almost like for-profit healthcare is a bad idea or something?

:thunk:

Surgeons just like to cut :shrug:

Although younger doctors as a whole have issues seeing possible long term effects of surgical interventions

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
From that article I posted earlier

quote:

Neurosurgeons are worth millions in revenue for hospitals, so Duntsch was able to get operating privileges at a string of Dallas-area institutions. Once his ineptitude became clear, most chose to spare themselves the hassle and legal exposure of firing him outright and instead let him resign, reputation intact.

At least two facilities that quietly dumped Duntsch failed to report him to a database run by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that’s supposed to act as a clearinghouse for information on problem practitioners, warning potential employers about their histories.

This guy literally hosed up every surgery he did, killed a bunch of patients and made a few more into quadriplegics

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've seen Amazon do this now and again. I bought the power steering pump on my WJ for something like $30 with no core charge.

But was it ruby red?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be honest though, we were taught that disc hernia operations have pretty much the same outcome as leaving it alone and doing physiotherapy. The only real advantage was the reduced time it took to recover from the disc hernia.

After like 7 years post herniation I got the surgery. Glad I did, rarely bugs me anymore. Before, I could be sidelined for days confined to a couch or bed waiting for the pain and inflammation to subside.

Rhyno, just keep your hips and hamstrings stretched, and core strong. That's the best advice I can give so you use those muscles more when bending vs rounding your back. I hosed mine up playing sports and being young and dumb, trying to hit a ball hard. So don't do that, either. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

But was it ruby red?

The ATF left in it from the reman plant was :v:

And yeah Amazon doesn't want to dick with core charges, but this was the same part for sale at any other place for more than 2x as much, with a core on top of that.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I recently won almost 19 acres of this:

for $200 at tax auction and i'm absolutely in love with it. I can't wait to take posesson. <3

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How does that even work? $200?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

How does that even work? $200?

It's mostly unbuildable due to water levels, it's hard to access and it's all sandy scrubland where it's dry.

No one even bid against me on it, lol.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
gently caress's sake, even with that, I reckon that's less than 1% of the cost here.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Suburban Dad posted:

After like 7 years post herniation I got the surgery. Glad I did, rarely bugs me anymore. Before, I could be sidelined for days confined to a couch or bed waiting for the pain and inflammation to subside.

Rhyno, just keep your hips and hamstrings stretched, and core strong. That's the best advice I can give so you use those muscles more when bending vs rounding your back. I hosed mine up playing sports and being young and dumb, trying to hit a ball hard. So don't do that, either. :v:

Also learn how to hip hinge and always do that instead of bending the low back.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I recently won almost 19 acres of this:

for $200 at tax auction and i'm absolutely in love with it. I can't wait to take posesson. <3

You suck :|

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, garbage land here still goes for like $5k an acre because "they're not making any more of it"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

My youth is behind me so I have no worries there. I stretch like a fool every day but I still fear I'll move wrong and be hosed for life.

HOUSE CHAT

Five open houses today. So many good things about the houses we looked at and just as many negatives. We're really hoping the original owners turn their thinking around because it's still our near perfect home.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I knew it was going to be Duntsch before I hovered over the link. It's a terrifying series of cases, and in the end it appears as though he may have done at least some of it purposefully. There's another great article out there, "Anatomy of a Tragedy," about him.

It's mostly unbuildable due to water levels, it's hard to access and it's all sandy scrubland where it's dry.

No one even bid against me on it, lol.
Even with that going against it, you just dig piles and build an elevated cabin. Given that you saved about a a minimum of hundred grand on the land cost compared to nineteen acres pretty much anywhere else, you can splurge a little on the engineering. =D Good job on the purchase.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I knew it was going to be Duntsch before I hovered over the link. It's a terrifying series of cases, and in the end it appears as though he may have done at least some of it purposefully. There's another great article out there, "Anatomy of a Tragedy," about him.
Even with that going against it, you just dig piles and build an elevated cabin. Given that you saved about a a minimum of hundred grand on the land cost compared to nineteen acres pretty much anywhere else, you can splurge a little on the engineering. =D Good job on the purchase.

I work at a tractor dealer, so i can literally borrow a TLB from our used lot, drive it to my property and do non engineer necessary site work myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I assume you're inviting propsals for the design of the AI Goon encampment?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I work at a tractor dealer, so i can literally borrow a TLB from our used lot, drive it to my property and do non engineer necessary site work myself.

Put a shipping container on it, throw up some solar panels and complete your new rustic cabin.

meatpimp approved.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

meatpimp posted:

Put a shipping container on it, throw up some solar panels and complete your new rustic cabin.

meatpimp approved.

Buy a second shipping container. Make a pool

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I see your sushi, and raise you these bombtastic wings

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wife wanted to see Car Seat Headrest for her birthday last night and it owned

https://youtu.be/9q5R0F5M3NA

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The ATF left in it from the reman plant was :v:

And yeah Amazon doesn't want to dick with core charges, but this was the same part for sale at any other place for more than 2x as much, with a core on top of that.

Yeah, the pricing was nice. I was posting it more because they had included "very dark red ruby" in the description of a motor mount. :v: (can't say I've seen a motor/trans mount that had a core charge anyway... is that a thing?)

Speaking of, it looks like they caught the pricing issue, but not the description. (also :laffo: at "ships in 1 to 3 months").

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ha, missed that part.

Surprising nobody, Sears has officially declared bankruptcy. Clearly the hand of the free market at work. Rand fanatic Lampert is out as CEO, at least.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's a shame, but yeah, not remotely a surprise.

One of the last remaining Sears Grand stores was near Austin up until this spring. I had driven past it a lot, and was hoping to drop in and see it up close once I moved. Fuckers shut it down in April, I moved in August. :sigh: I think the Grand stores were kind of like a Super Target that went a bit heavier on the tools section?

I have a weird thing with dying retail, and with retail urbex in particular

I actually ran into a Sears that was not only well stocked, but well staffed, and very busy, about a year ago. Mind was blown. I hadn't seen a Sears with more than a dozen people (employees, customers, and myself, all inclusive) in it in several years by that point. It was at Town East, which is a weird mall as it is, being in the middle of a pretty old, blue collar inner ring suburb of Dallas (Mesquite TX).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Welp, handed in my notice.

Friendship ended with Aston Martin. Now Ferrari is my best friend

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

goddamnit are we talking real cars here or a car metaphor, i can't even tell anymore

While the sushi looks great, I'm more impressed by the fact that you managed to photograph great sushi so it still looks great. Where was this?

Best sushi I've ever had was at a defunct place in Las Vegas -- Shibuya. My wife had a conference there and I tagged along (oh, the days before Tet Jr and the dog!). We hadn't set up reservations anywhere, but it had a spot and it looked okay. We got the tasting menu and the sake pairing, and while it is still the most expensive two-person meal I've ever had, it was 100% worth it.

The second-best sushi I've ever had was at a local place, one random night when we decided to go out. Sushi is rarely inexpensive per se, but this place is basically par-for-the-course price. The place was empty and everyone seemed happy to have a customer in. The chef "upgraded" our sushi boat to show off. It was incredible.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

Enjoy removing engines.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

goddamnit are we talking real cars here or a car metaphor, i can't even tell anymore

After what I just said, I sure hope we're talking real cars. :ohdear:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Best sushi I've ever had was at a defunct place in Las Vegas -- Shibuya. My wife had a conference there and I tagged along (oh, the days before Tet Jr and the dog!). We hadn't set up reservations anywhere, but it had a spot and it looked okay. We got the tasting menu and the sake pairing, and while it is still the most expensive two-person meal I've ever had, it was 100% worth it.

Speaking of Vegas, my wife and I are going in a few weeks. We haven't been there in 10 years, so I'm sure it's all different. What are the best eatin' places? We're staying at the Bellagio, so right in the center of the strip.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bajaha posted:

I see your sushi, and raise you these bombtastic wings

What's that yellow poo poo on the right? If it's cheese why the gently caress isn't it melted because that's a god-drat culinary sin right there.

fridge corn posted:

Noice.

Weekend was p.good, spent Saturday building a paved ramp so I can now driver cars into the workshop without using sketchy wood + ramps setup. Sunday bought a 3rd gen Civic from 1987. His name is Ralph.

This bit on the left was dug out and re-laid.

I can now drive my shitbox Supra into the workshop to get welded up properly.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 15, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What's that yellow poo poo on the right? If it's cheese why the gently caress isn't it melted because that's a god-drat culinary sin right there.

It's a cheese, but it's grated parm so not melted is a-ok. This place does some pretty weird combinations but they're drat good.

Re: Sushi - new trend I'm seeing locally is Aburi, so you have your slice of fish in some mild glaze and then it's torched. Has a nice texture and the flavor is pretty unique. If your local place does it it's worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

meatpimp posted:

Enjoy removing engines

I will thanks

• Locked thread