Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's hilarious how that push for religious freedoms legalised discrimination by religious people has backfired on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cartoon posted:

Adults wearing stuff meant for children has never ever resulted in bad outcomes.

From watching the films and having a HP fan as a gf, it's my understanding that the series* moved from kids lit to YA and YA stuff is eternally popular once people get on board with it. I don't understand what harm there is in people enjoying entertainment and it's weird to tie people's enjoyment of Harry Potter to, presumably, paedophilic tendencies.

e: said film when i meant the general story

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 15, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There is nothing wrong with adults liking Harry Potter, Star Wars, or any of that stuff. Playing dress ups is fine in the right circumstances, i.e. Halloween or fancy dress parties or conventions even.

It's the MLP poo poo that makes me uneasy, but that's because middle aged men self identifying as a cartoon aimed at 4 year old girls gonna do that.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

froglet posted:

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/1051234236093460480?s=19

Too bad none of the farmers are going to listen...

I've literally been arguing with a farmer about this exact thing this week. She claims unemployed people are too precious and ask for all sorts of incentives to come and work on her farm, like a place to live, a phone, a car, high pay. I tried to explain the idea of the labour market to her.

She claimed I was some super intellectual and got all stroppy. Then some one else chimed in to say dole bludgers didn't deserve the right to use his money unless they were forced to work for it in someone elses private business. When I explained that our labour market requires a surplus of unemployed to remain flexible he too got upset.

They said I must think I'm smarter than them for using words and knowing about economics and business. I called them trash people for thinking government slaves was a good idea.

Farmers are human trash.

Cartoon posted:

Twilight was the only one I was pointing out as Goth enticing. Although I think the modern incarnation is known as Steam Punk.
Adults wearing stuff meant for children has never ever resulted in bad outcomes.

If it was meant for children then why do they sell it in adults size, huh? Huh!? Ain't no child wearing my limited edition 7XL Harry Potter robes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

So what can we take away from the religious freedoms review?

Well, so far it has been a massive own-goal.

In attempting to expand religious freedoms, the hard right have inadvertently drawn attention to discriminations which already exist, and now that the public is looking at them, they’re not agreeing with it. And so, it looks like they’ll be removed.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I don't watch it, can anybody confirm abcs newsbreakfast show interviewed morrison the other day and the interviewer didn't ask about naru?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I don't watch it, can anybody confirm abcs newsbreakfast show interviewed morrison the other day and the interviewer didn't ask about naru?

Every question he answered by talking about small business tax cuts.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The Hard Right is doing more for moving this country left than Labor is.

I mean yay for doing the right thing, but jesus christ are Australians entirely reactionary, to either side of politics?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Every question he answered by talking about small business tax cuts.

But was he even asked about it? Abc's breakfast show has been poo poo before softballing liberals and maybe you could say some poo poo then about wasting time asking about something the public is apparently in favour of you can't do that after (rightfully!) putting the screws to shorten over it last week.

So Ive gone and watched it and:
  • it was a different interviewer
  • fair dinkum energy
  • big end of town playing footsie with the labor party
  • he wasn't asked about naru

In the past trioli said they don't get the chance to ask because liberals don't go on their show, maybe not talking to her was a condition of the interview? This Turnbull interview was the same, I think.

https://twitter.com/rainey_knight/status/1047709750127783937?s=19

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Seeing adults playing quidditch is cringe inducing and tthey should swap to a sport where you don't arbitrarily hold a stick between your legs for make believe purposes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
fuckin lol at the USAF managing to lose 10% of their best fighters to a stiff breeze and some rain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amoeba102 posted:

Seeing adults playing quidditch is cringe inducing and tthey should swap to a sport where you don't arbitrarily hold a stick between your legs for make believe purposes.

Why should they? Why should anyone do prescribed activities in their own time based on what people that still post on a dead gay forum with 8 active users think?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wow Laurine, really owning her with that 17 month old interview with someone else

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Vecause pretending to fly on a broomstick and trying to take a sport seriously don't mesh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amoeba102 posted:

Vecause pretending to fly on a broomstick and trying to take a sport seriously don't mesh.

They're having fun in their private time buddy, try it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Amoeba102 posted:

please go and watch the docoumentary Hobby Horse Revolution.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

thatbastardken posted:

fuckin lol at the USAF managing to lose 10% of their best fighters to a stiff breeze and some rain.

huh?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

JBP posted:

They're having fun in their private time buddy, try it.

I do.

Still dumb, even if they're having fun.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

or the belgians managing to lose an F16 because someone pushed the fire button while performing maintenance on another F16, and managed to light up a fully refueled jet with its vulcan cannon, which also set a third F16 on fire.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

please go and watch the docoumentary Hobby Horse Revolution.

Give me a run down.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Amoeba102 posted:

Give me a run down.

kids who cant afford a horse self inflicting the horrors and stresses of professional dressage on themselves with broomstick horses

some young adults too

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

or the belgians managing to lose an F16 because someone pushed the fire button while performing maintenance on another F16, and managed to light up a fully refueled jet with its vulcan cannon, which also set a third F16 on fire.

drat, they lost their entire airforce

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ground pogue looks over the flaming wreckage, marks 'system test- M61 20mm' complete

Hurricane hit a F22 airbase, utterly flattened it.

Bit like laughing at Indonesia because it can't handle a slightly larger wave

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

kids who cant afford a horse self inflicting the horrors and stresses of professional dressage on themselves with broomstick horses

some young adults too

Sounds depressing.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Amoeba102 posted:

Sounds depressing.

nightmare cinema is the best cinema

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
when we were on a farm one of our neighbours had a retired dressage horse as a pet and every now and then you'd see him putting himself through his paces on his own in the paddock, apparently just for the hell of it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Paingod556 posted:

Hurricane hit a F22 airbase, utterly flattened it.

Bit like laughing at Indonesia because it can't handle a slightly larger wave

the USA has a slightly bigger budget for disaster preparedness, and aircraft aren't people. so it's funny rather than tragic.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Rude

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If you play quidditch bowmore, just ditch the stick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Keep the sticks but hit people with them

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Konomex posted:

I've literally been arguing with a farmer about this exact thing this week. She claims unemployed people are too precious and ask for all sorts of incentives to come and work on her farm, like a place to live, a phone, a car, high pay. I tried to explain the idea of the labour market to her.

She claimed I was some super intellectual and got all stroppy. Then some one else chimed in to say dole bludgers didn't deserve the right to use his money unless they were forced to work for it in someone elses private business. When I explained that our labour market requires a surplus of unemployed to remain flexible he too got upset.

They said I must think I'm smarter than them for using words and knowing about economics and business. I called them trash people for thinking government slaves was a good idea.

Farmers are human trash.

If it was meant for children then why do they sell it in adults size, huh? Huh!? Ain't no child wearing my limited edition 7XL Harry Potter robes.

I wish more people looked past the romanticism of farming you see on the ads on TV and instead realise farming is made up mostly of super rich folks who want others to subsidise their lifestyles. Case in point - Moora college remaining open.

Also I don't see any harm in liking Harry Potter, but I admit my super privileged middle class sensibilities cringe a bit at the fan page of a YA series I read when everyone starts talking about the tattoo they have or are planning on getting. I just don't get liking anything enough to have it permanently marked on your skin.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

what's the point of a broom you can't gently caress

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

I wish more people looked past the romanticism of farming

You'll take my Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley from my cold dead hands!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Keep the sticks but hit people with them

Also an option.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I grew up on a farm. Farmers aren't all rich, in fact many are drowning in debt. But they're probably all crazy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

the USA has a slightly bigger budget for disaster preparedness, and aircraft aren't people. so it's funny rather than tragic.

Won't be so funny when that Chengdu J-20 flying around without an opponent destroys your home.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

From theg liveblog:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/oct/15/coalition-morrison-joyce-coal-polls-politics-live

quote:

Labor senator Kimberley Kitching has given her own spin on Labor’s new policy to remove exemptions that allow discrimination by religious schools against gay staff.
In an interview on Sky, Kitching said she wants a bipartisan “discussion” on removing that discrimination law exemption, but that can’t take place until the government releases the full Ruddock review.
Kitching says that “no school is going to embrace the nastiness of discriminating against teachers” and that discrimination on the grounds of sexuality “is unnecessary”. So far so good, it sounds like she’s on the same page as Bill Shorten.

But Kitching then repeatedly references schools’ ability to set their own ethos, and employ people that “abide by the teachings” of that religion, drawing an analogy with the fact schools are not obliged to hire people from other faiths.
Asked if this means schools can turn away or sack gay teachers, Kitching replies that the fact a teacher is in a same-sex relationship is not a “public controversy” that would be known. At this point it’s all starting to sound a bit Don’t Ask Don’t Tell - teachers are allowed to be gay but not to let it be known that they are gay by, for example, having a visible partner of the same sex.

Kitching:
“Religious schools do currently have an exemption around being able to discriminate [in favour of] teachers who [reflect their ethos] ... [A school] can hire someone - currently... who is able to teach the ethos of the school. And that’s different to removing the discrimination around sexual orientation. We don’t need that discrimination.”

So it sounds like Kitching wants to give a red light to discrimination on sexuality, and a green light to positively selecting for characteristics in line with religious teaching, even if that ends up at the same destination.

They had half a populist policy that would pass with bipartisan support and they're already walking it back lmao. Oh you can't fire someone for being gay, but if someone being gay contravenes your religion, well, fire, fire away!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I grew up on a farm. Farmers aren't all rich, in fact many are drowning in debt. But they're probably all crazy.

I think it was The Before Times who last month found an article saying the average farmer, if you dissolved all their assets and paid off their liabilities would still have 1.6 million left over.

So, not exactly Gina Rinehart, but they're far wealthier than the average Australian household. The fact they're in debt is very much a choice, if they wanted they could sell everything and go get a job in the city. There's literally nothing stopping most of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JBP posted:

Won't be so funny when that Chengdu J-20 flying around without an opponent destroys your home.

If it comes down to that it's just a warm-up to getting nuked anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Labor: We're Progressive!*

* actually we're reactionary conservatives working to restore the status quo

• Locked thread