Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/pr...date%2020181015

quote:

Nearly one in 10 Australian mortgage holders have little or no real equity in their home, and that number is set to rise if property values continue to fall as expected.

About 386,000, or 8.9 per cent, of borrowers are paying off loans on homes that are equal in value to or less than the amount they owe their lenders, new research from Roy Morgan has revealed.

That number shot up by more than 40,000 in the past year as the nation’s major housing markets cooled.

The situation represents “a considerable risk, particularly if home values continue to fall or households are hit by unemployment”, Roy Morgan industry communications director Norman Morris said.

The state at highest risk is Western Australia, where 16.5 per cent (90,000) of mortgage customers have no real equity in their homes.

“If house prices decline further in WA and unemployment increases, then more mortgage holders will be facing a tough situation,” Mr Morris said.

WA is followed by South Australia with 12.1 per cent (43,000), Queensland with 9.6 per cent (88,000) and Tasmania with 7 per cent (6000).

NSW has the lowest proportion of borrowers at risk with 6.1 per cent (82,000), followed by Victoria with 6.8 per cent (71,000).

“The strong performance in Victoria and NSW is due mainly to the rapid rise in Sydney and Melbourne prices, which has generally outpaced the amount owing on mortgages,” the report said.

In the past year, home values have fallen 2.7 per cent nationwide, according to the latest figures from property data analysts CoreLogic.

The downturn has been led by Sydney, where prices fell 6.1 per cent, Melbourne (-3.4 per cent), Darwin (-3.7 per cent) and Perth (-2.4 per cent).

Last week, investment firm Morgan Stanley forecast prices to fall by as much as 15 per cent from their September 2017 peak.

“We now see a 10-15 per cent peak to trough decline in real house prices, from 5-10 per cent previously, which would mark the largest decline since the early 1980s,” the company said.

:burger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senior Libs are trying to own Alex Turnbull on twitter and they're doing as well as you might expect:

https://twitter.com/alexbhturnbull/status/1050993394955087874

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
we've owned our apartment for about 2 months now and already have equity in it (i mean its about $10k but still), how are people that bad at finance

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

GoldStandardConure posted:

we've owned our apartment for about 2 months now and already have equity in it (i mean its about $10k but still), how are people that bad at finance

house prices only go up up up!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Because they bought a mcmansion in Yokine for $1.6M, when nothing in yokine is or ever was worth more than $800k on the top end.

Yes that's right twice what they should have paid. TOP JOB!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Those loans are probably interest only given there are loads of those five year bombs waiting to go off between now and 2022.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

"we have some equity in our house, let's use that to buy another property and stick it on interest only to keep repayments low and enjoy the money, because house prices can only go up"

*two months later*

" Our broker revalued the investment property and if we go up to 80% lvr on both, we can get a second investment property. stick it on interest only to keep repayments low and enjoy the money, because house prices can only go up"

Repeat 3 times.

Five years later

"strewth, why have our mortgage repayments tripled"

"what do you mean the interest only has expired? What's interest only? What do you mean the loan balance hasn't changed in 5 years and house prices are falling? This is bloody outrageous. I'm going to the prime Minister about this"

"which one?"

"... Julia?"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The above is a real life example with the names omitted to protect the stupid

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The other one is that anyone who borrowed to 80% lvr at the peak of the market will no longer have enough equity to refinance so they are stuck with whatever lender they chose for the foreseeable future.

Particularly since at the 5 year mark you still aren't paying off enough capital to keep above the 80% mark in a falling market.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Because they bought a mcmansion in Yokine for $1.6M, when nothing in yokine is or ever was worth more than $800k on the top end.

Yes that's right twice what they should have paid. TOP JOB!

noice

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm a farmer

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
atm i'm a temporarily embarrassed farmer but when i get the chance to actually loving farm i am a prodigy at it

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

JBP posted:

Air refueling.

Bigger fuel tank.

Note that China's Air-to-Air refueling is currently 12 1950's era Tupolov 16's with a range of maybe 6,000 km.

The do have a plane called the Y-20 that is to use as a air-to-air refueling platform. It entered service in 2016, and China has 10 of them. No word has come out as to if they have started training their refueling crew, as this is not a skill that is picked up overnight. These planes cannot refuel each other (See: Operation Black Buck) and have a range of 4,500km.

As with all Chinese aircraft, the engines are made elsewhere, in this case Russia. China is claiming that they have the Shenyang WS-20 ready to enter production, which can generate around 2/3rds of the thrust of the PW2000 that Australia uses in the the C-17 Transports.

It should also be noted that domestic Chinese turbofan claims have repeatedly been exaggerated, as producing the crystal alloys that make up a modern turbofan blade is non-trivial, especially for a country that succeeded in making a 100% domestically sourced Ball Point Pen in January 2017.

This has been your friendly reminder that Air-to-Air refueling being used in an "Attack-Australia" scenario is so ridiculous even whichever brain is powering Tom Clancy's rotting corpse thinks it is too ludicrous.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The leader of the Tasmanian Greens has doubled down over a Hobart council candidate's alleged links to China's Communist Party, telling party colleagues accusing her of racism to "do their research", as the woman at the centre of the row revealed she has been targeted by slurs.

Australian citizen Yongbei Tang, who is standing at this month's Tasmanian local government elections, has strenuously denied being influenced by China through her links to the Australian Council for the Promotion of Peaceful Reunification of China (ACPPRC), a group widely regarded as an arm of China's Communist Party and formerly run by prominent political donor Huang Xiangmo — the man at the centre of the foreign donations scandal which brought down Labor Senator Sam Dastyari.

Loopholes in legislation allowing for non-citizens of Australia to vote in Tasmanian local government elections led to some, including former Hobart lord mayor Sue Hickey, to complain of the potential for the voting roll to be stacked by candidates.

The legislation also allows for business owners to vote twice.

Ms Tang has categorically denied membership of or influence from China's Communist Party, and has said she resigned from her vice-chair role with the ACPPRC earlier in the year.

In September, she was quoted by News Corporation as saying: "I am very grateful for the chance to be an Australian citizen, my children have grown up here and I appreciate Australian values ... I just want to give back. I am not a member of the Chinese Communist Party. I'm a good Australian citizen".

Ms Tang has said the media storm around her council candidacy, including an open letter from a group of Hobart-based Chinese Australians saying she did not represent their interests, had taken a heavy emotional toll, culminating in her election signs being defaced with racist slurs over the weekend.

But Greens Leader Cassy O'Connor today rejected accusations from within her own party that she had indulged in "dog whistling" politics and reaffirmed she had based her comments on assessments from Australia's security agency ASIO.

"Anybody who knows me knows that I don't have a racist bone in my body," she told ABC Hobart this morning.

In September, Ms O'Connor told the Tasmanian Parliament Ms Tang had authored an article in Chinese News Tasmania newspaper, which she said included passages translated from the original Mandarin to English such as "Australia is a society dominated by white people" and "one councillor is far from enough ... we need to put a nail in Tasmania's politics and add another one four years later ... we have dominated business circles, now we need to establish ourselves in politics".

She singled out Ms Yongbei Tang as the editor of the newspaper, adding the article represented "a fundamental misunderstanding of democratic parliaments in the Westminster system".

Ms O'Connor today told ABC Hobart her comments were based on "compelling evidence of a programme of interference in domestic politics by the Chinese communist government" and were not based on Ms Tang's ethnicity.

"I believe in human diversity because diversity gives us strength and it's really unfortunate that those people who've said those really awful things haven't gone to the trouble to inform themselves of the body of evidence of Chinese government interference in domestic politics," Ms O'Connor said.

She said Chinese interference in foreign governments was something "from Canada to the USA, New Zealand, Australia, we know this is happening".

Ms O'Connor, who served as multicultural affairs minister in the former Labor-Green Tasmanian government said she was "an ex-journalist by training, I am inquisitive and I do my research".

Criticisms from fellow Greens, including Hobart council candidate Holly Ewin — who described Ms O'Connor as "somebody I admire and respect greatly ... still capable of stuffing up" — were wrong, Ms O'Connor said, suggesting such comments were "hard to bear".

"When these accusations come from people who haven't taken the time to do the research, they're difficult to bear but because I know it's not true and because I know we have a duty to defend democracy and we are committed to taking this further because democracy is very fragile."

While condemning the racist slurs being directed towards Ms Tang, Ms O'Connor said she bore no personal responsibility for the attacks over Ms Tang's Chinese heritage and laid the blame with the "nasty, right-wing elements of our country who would want to make this about race".

"Some people would like to put that personal responsibility on me, but I think it's important to remember that we have had other candidates run for election in Tasmania and they too have experienced racism," she said, naming candidate Zelinda Sherlock and Labor senator Lisa Singh.

Ms O'Connor said "there is a small and deeply unpleasant element of our community and it doesn't take much to trip them off".

'I feel disgusted, sad and ashamed'

Ms O'Connor said while Ms Tang, a resident of almost 20 years, had denied undue influence from China, she would take guidance from Australia's intelligence community which has linked two organisations Ms Tang has had previous associations as part of the "global propaganda arm of the Chinese government".
Ms Tang said the storm over her candidacy had caused her stress and she declined to be interviewed, instead issuing a statement:
"My campaign poster located in New Town was vandalised with a racist slur. I feel very disgusted, sad and ashamed.

"I believe that most Tasmanians are kind and welcoming people to our diverse country.

"So, I'd like acknowledge it's not the majority of Tasmanians but a select few who have these racist thoughts."

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jesus loving christ why do the Greens even exist anymore?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

evilbastard posted:

Note that China's Air-to-Air refueling is currently 12 1950's era Tupolov 16's with a range of maybe 6,000 km.

The do have a plane called the Y-20 that is to use as a air-to-air refueling platform. It entered service in 2016, and China has 10 of them. No word has come out as to if they have started training their refueling crew, as this is not a skill that is picked up overnight. These planes cannot refuel each other (See: Operation Black Buck) and have a range of 4,500km.

As with all Chinese aircraft, the engines are made elsewhere, in this case Russia. China is claiming that they have the Shenyang WS-20 ready to enter production, which can generate around 2/3rds of the thrust of the PW2000 that Australia uses in the the C-17 Transports.

It should also be noted that domestic Chinese turbofan claims have repeatedly been exaggerated, as producing the crystal alloys that make up a modern turbofan blade is non-trivial, especially for a country that succeeded in making a 100% domestically sourced Ball Point Pen in January 2017.

This has been your friendly reminder that Air-to-Air refueling being used in an "Attack-Australia" scenario is so ridiculous even whichever brain is powering Tom Clancy's rotting corpse thinks it is too ludicrous.

Trap sprung I googled Chinese plane and saw air refueling in a movie.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Aesculus posted:

"I mean yeah there's the environment; but what about Reds Under the Bed?!"
-Tasmanian Greens Strategy Meeting

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
once my neighbours' steers got into my yard because an apple gum branch fell on the fence, they were standing their ground against me and i don't have much experience with cows so i was terrified but i asked ariel for help and he gave me the strength to dominate them, round them up, and herd them home. halfway across our paddock they all suddenly got very excited and frolicked away back to their home with their tails curled up (it's so cute when cows do this) and at that moment a double rainbow broke out overhead. feeling completely blissful and at one with the universe, with the cows and with my ghost husband, i walked back up to the house and only then did i find that someone had broken into our shed and stolen our ride-on lawn mower and both our water pumps, so for the rest of the weekend we were dealing with the police and we couldn't flush the loo. amen

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Aesculus posted:

to preference labor

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The only ethical way to vote in Australia is to draw the traditional dick on your ballot, draw a square next to it, and then write 1 in that

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

you can't vote for yourself

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

The above is a real life example with the names omitted to protect the stupid

wow :fork:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Aesculus posted:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Reclines Obesily posted:

to preference labor

Or if you'd prefer, to split the vote among those who don't want to vote Tory.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aesculus posted:

Ethical capitalism.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

quote:

The Morrison government is split on whether to support Labor’s call to amend discrimination law to prevent religious schools firing gay staff.

The Liberal deputy leader, Josh Frydenberg, and candidate for Wentworth Dave Sharma backed Labor’s call but Scott Morrison refused to commit to extend his promise to prevent discrimination against students.

:discourse:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/cporterwa/status/1051755158202273792?s=19

ahugefukkenironicat.gif

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Which way did Morrison vote on SSM?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Which way did Morrison vote on SSM?

He campaigned against then abstained from voting.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
politics in this country has veered so far from meaning that it's like a cartoon that i check in on occasionally that has zero impact whatsoever on my life, especially as the world collapses into climate madness

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

He campaigned against then abstained from voting.

Can't wait to see the LNP talking about how they were the party that made it happen lol

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

they hate racism?! *votes one nation*

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
https://twitter.com/senatorlucy/status/1051765354479771648?s=20

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I deplore white racism specifically when called upon by Pauline Hanson to do so

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She's cooked loving hell.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Someone motion it's OK to be Muslim.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Did the LNP only just figured out it was racist slogan after voting for it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Someone motion it's OK to be Muslim.

The greens in their station as PHON for lefties should so this.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

No you see Muslim isn't a race and therefore it's impossible to be racist against Muslim, whereas Christian is a persecuted minority that needs protections and freedoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
lol woopsie, i notice theyre not mentioning the word white in their defence just racism in general

Tokamak posted:

Did the LNP only just figured out it was racist slogan after voting for it?

look its monday they just got back from the weekend

• Locked thread