Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

That show based on the Black Dahlia looks like it's gonna be really good.

Is it based on the real life Black Dahlia case or is it based on the James Ellroy novel based on the real life Black Dahlia case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So where are we talking about Titans?

Titans was really fun and the villain lady was cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 3 of The Leftovers led up to a bunch of scenes that take place today. I mostly remember because it was fun having a show where the world was freaking out over my 30th birthday. Especially a show that did a lot of filming in places where I used to work during the first season.

I was rewatching it and god the last three episodes of that tear me apart emotionally. It got me right in the long-simmering regrets.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 14, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally saw the female Dr Who premiere and I really like her in the role. That anyone is mad about the casting is ridiculous

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just finished The Haunting of Hill House and I ended up really, really enjoying it. Its much more of a sad ghost story than a scary one, but its got some of both. A lot of my pacing concerns early on kind of worked themselves out or felt more or less vindicated by some slow reveals. Like I still kind of think it might have worked better as a 2-3 part mini instead of 10 episodes but it turned out pretty good so its just nitpicky and my desire to make it into an old Stephen King mini.

I did a long rear end review over in the Horror Challenge thread if you care. But mostly I'd recommend it as long as you don't mind a story that is way more about human feelings than jump scares and monsters.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The finale was unexpected. The show is definitely more about the family's trauma than the scary ghosts. So know that going in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lycus posted:

The finale was unexpected. The show is definitely more about the family's trauma than the scary ghosts. So know that going in.

That fits with the movie as well, as you are not sure if there were ghosts or the main character is just batshit.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Is there a thread about Kidding on Showtime? loving fantastic show and I'm curious what others think of it. I couldn't find one.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

STAC Goat posted:

I just finished The Haunting of Hill House and I ended up really, really enjoying it. Its much more of a sad ghost story than a scary one, but its got some of both. A lot of my pacing concerns early on kind of worked themselves out or felt more or less vindicated by some slow reveals. Like I still kind of think it might have worked better as a 2-3 part mini instead of 10 episodes but it turned out pretty good so its just nitpicky and my desire to make it into an old Stephen King mini.

I did a long rear end review over in the Horror Challenge thread if you care. But mostly I'd recommend it as long as you don't mind a story that is way more about human feelings than jump scares and monsters.

I'm pretty sure you could start at the fourth episode and only miss out that Theo has a power. It was pretty funny that a lot of it was the work of one crazy ghost. to sum it up I think the show was okay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, ABC is pimping the everloving hell out of their new Alec Baldwin show

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaunab posted:

I'm pretty sure you could start at the fourth episode and only miss out that Theo has a power. It was pretty funny that a lot of it was the work of one crazy ghost. to sum it up I think the show was okay.

But like if you did that you'd be bypassing a ton of the family's trauma and suffering, which is the entire point of the show. Streamlining it down for "plot" or scares is just changing what it is. There's some rehashing of stuff in the early episodes but that's all done in the name of personalizing it for each character so you definitely shouldn't skip half the cast's character center episodes.

Its not going to be for everyone but its a very old school "haunting" ghost story in that regard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AllisonByProxy posted:

Is there a thread about Kidding on Showtime? loving fantastic show and I'm curious what others think of it. I couldn't find one.

I've only watched the first few episodes but yeah it's fantastic. Like, up there with Patriot and Barry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I spent the whole day binging the two seasons of Queer Eye on a come down. I cried a whole bunch and now I want Karamo to move in with me and be my supportive best flatmate.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Timby posted:

Jesus, ABC is pimping the everloving hell out of their new Alec Baldwin show

Not knowing anything about the show I'm assuming this is a Michael J Fox Paul Reiser kind of misfire.

Omg it's a talk show. Never mind.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alec Baldwin played one of, IMO, the funniest characters I can remember in Jack Donaghey. I loved 30 Rock to death. He was great on it and so was everyone else.

But an Alec Baldin talk shot? Yeah, no. That's not gonna work out.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I can't wait for the Jerry Seinfeld episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Not knowing anything about the show I'm assuming this is a Michael J Fox Paul Reiser kind of misfire.

Omg it's a talk show. Never mind.

I mean, they've bought ad time on USA, ION (although I can't imagine that's expensive, 90 percent of their ad breaks are self-promos or commercials for medications), TNT, TBS, AMC and Comet.

Like, holy hell.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Admittedly I tend to stay away from horror, and I can't actually think of a horror tv show I've watched, but Im finding this show extremely unnerving to watch. Much scarier than dumb jump scares I've seen in horror films. But honestly the last few horror films I've watched were all the fairly recent decent Japanese horror films that I could find being recommended somewhere.

Is this show not considered "scary" compared to most horror offerings?

edit: The only thing that takes me away from the show is that the house, mansion or whatever you want to call it is stereotypical horror house to a fault.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Me and the fiancee watched through Haunting of Hill House and enjoyed it. I was looking for a thread about it to see what other people had to say but there doesn't appear to be one.

I liked how it wasn't in your face jump scares but was instead a more subdued spooky with ghosts in the backgrounds of a lot of shots.

Theo was the best

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dessel posted:

Admittedly I tend to stay away from horror, and I can't actually think of a horror tv show I've watched, but Im finding this show extremely unnerving to watch. Much scarier than dumb jump scares I've seen in horror films. But honestly the last few horror films I've watched were all the fairly recent decent Japanese horror films that I could find being recommended somewhere.

I think it is a very good moody haunted house gothic scary piece, but not everyone gets into that stuff. Some people like more overt scares and less "things in the shadows" and general feeling of unease and danger.

Its just a question of taste, really.

Dessel posted:

edit: The only thing that takes me away from the show is that the house, mansion or whatever you want to call it is stereotypical horror house to a fault.

In fairness Hill House is arguably THE haunted house that like 70 years of haunted house stories have been inspired by.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dessel posted:

I'm almost halfway through the season (on episode 5) and so far it's much more psychological horror than anything. It's all about how things that happened to these characters as children ruined them forever in one way or another.

There aren't many jump scares here besides the occasional delusion, and to me, the character having the delusion is more unnerving than the character depicted in the delusion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting thing going on with the Fox shows tonight. The commercials have a countdown counter in the upper left just like ad breaks on streaming.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm almost halfway through the season (on episode 5) and so far it's much more psychological horror than anything. It's all about how things that happened to these characters as children ruined them forever in one way or another.

There aren't many jump scares here besides the occasional delusion, and to me, the character having the delusion is more unnerving than the character depicted in the delusion.

I just finished episode 5, and man it ended pretty much exactly how I was expecting it to but I'm still not getting any sleep tonight.

The show reminds me of the 2nd and 4th Silent Hill games.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Medullah posted:

I just finished episode 5, and man it ended pretty much exactly how I was expecting it to but I'm still not getting any sleep tonight.

The show reminds me of the 2nd and 4th Silent Hill games.
Right on. Just like Silent Hill, this thing is oozing with atmosphere.

I'm just now nearing the end of episode 5 and I can see where it's going and oh god this is gonna be creepy as hell :stonk:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

But like if you did that you'd be bypassing a ton of the family's trauma and suffering, which is the entire point of the show. Streamlining it down for "plot" or scares is just changing what it is. There's some rehashing of stuff in the early episodes but that's all done in the name of personalizing it for each character so you definitely shouldn't skip half the cast's character center episodes.

Its not going to be for everyone but its a very old school "haunting" ghost story in that regard.

The family trauma and suffering didn't hit me right. By the time I got to the end the only living character I had any empathy for was Luke. The family still were dicks to me except they were in a better place mentally and I felt like three people were sacrificed in order to get to that conclusion. I'm just one of the few people the show might not have clicked for I guess and I'm fine with that. Like I said before I thought the show was okay.

I'm going to bite the bullet and make a thread for this show.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gaunab posted:

The family trauma and suffering didn't hit me right. By the time I got to the end the only living character I had any empathy for was Luke. The family still were dicks to me except they were in a better place mentally and I felt like three people were sacrificed in order to get to that conclusion. I'm just one of the few people the show might not have clicked for I guess and I'm fine with that. Like I said before I thought the show was okay.

I'm going to bite the bullet and make a thread for this show.

I think the big thing I realized is that the house won. It got fed, just like it wanted. It got 3/7 of the Crains (like Steven even said earlier in the season). It got all the Dudleys. The last part of the last episode had an uplifting tone but the house totally won.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Here's the thread for Hill House if you want to discuss it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Piell posted:

I think the big thing I realized is that the house won. It got fed, just like it wanted. It got 3/7 of the Crains (like Steven even said earlier in the season). It got all the Dudleys. The last part of the last episode had an uplifting tone but the house totally won.

Totally. That's kind of the huge moral conflict that Hugh and Steven deal with. They want to kill Hill House but doing so would "kill" the people they love and these innocent victims. Its an insidious and heartbreaking ending. Most of the Crain family get out alive with perspective and a chance to improve their lives and get close to each other again, but they lost half their family and all they were doing was undoing some of the damage Hill House had already done.

That's, I think, an old school "haunting" ghost story. The haunting isn't the actual supernatural ghosts, its the loss and pain the survivors have to live with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, there was a new episode of 12 oz Mouse last night?!

Henker
May 5, 2009

Watched the first couple episodes of Curious Creations of Christine McConnell on Netflix, and it's so tonally bizarre I'm not fully sure what to make of it. Like it's ostensibly a cooking show with a charming gothic theme, but there's also a narrative to it with puppets? The cooking portion is worthless from an educational standpoint, since the majority of the stuff being made is pretty high level with fairly specialized tools required. Large portions of the procedures are skipped entirely glossed over like that "rest of the loving owl" comic. The puppets kind of remind me of Jim Henson productions or kid's shows from the 80s/90s like Under the Umbrella Tree, but the puppets are all complete sex and murder fiends.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

30 minutes into the The Romanoffs and I find no discernable plot or possible development whatsoever. We get a stereotypically bigoted old white lady that hates muslims or something and it's France so it's charming or something. I hate this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

30 minutes into the The Romanoffs and I find no discernable plot or possible development whatsoever. We get a stereotypically bigoted old white lady that hates muslims or something and it's France so it's charming or something. I hate this show.

Dude, it's a fairytale. She has (slightly) more depth that this comparison suggests, but the episode's essentially just Cinderella.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Out of nowhere I have an immense desire to rewatch all of Misfits

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

precision posted:

Mistfits is a great show as long as you only watch the first season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like there's at least a handful of great episodes every season (the hypnotic tits episode is great). But, yeah, the first season is the only one that's consistently great.

(Third season's the worst. I only really like the Hitler one, and maybe the zombie one too).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

If you're in Canada the CBC just started airing it and season 1-4 are on the website

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The trailers weren't doing anything for me, but the Charmed reboot was pretty okay, coming from someone who wasn't the biggest fan of the original. The showrunner is Jenny Snyder Urman, who runs Jane the Virgin, so she's earned herself a lot of goodwill and trust from me towards this show.

I appreciated that they explicitly avoided the memory wipe trope that I hate so much in shows and films about strange things living among our midst, but I don't know if they'll keep that up for everyone or just for this one case.

I also liked that the first demon they encountered was defeated with science instead of magic; I was really worried they were gonna go the route of "haha science is nothing compared to magic", or do what the old show did every week and just pull a spell out of nowhere that specifically defeats the demon--which, granted, they did end up doing with the last demon. Hopefully not all episodes will have climaxes that consist of the three of them just reciting random words for two minutes.

Also this show is gonna make the whiny gamergaters real mad because based on the first episode it looks like it's gonna go all in on social issues, even moreso than with JtV; it might have been a bit on the nose but I don't care, at this point it's probably important to be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Counterpart Season 2, December Ninth. Woo!*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CAtcP9Z6MI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drat, that's soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Counterpart Season 2, December Ninth. Woo!*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CAtcP9Z6MI

Not working for me, but drat the last quarter of 2018 is really strong.