Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always wondered had battleship development continued if they would have developed long rod penetrators for the big guns.

that...would own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

bewbies posted:

I've always wondered had battleship development continued if they would have developed long rod penetrators for the big guns.

that...would own

Unlikely. The damage output of a sixteen-inch cannon was never the issue, Especially since ship armor has gotten thinner, not thicker, since 1945. The problem was and remains that first the air power, and later a much smaller ship with antiship missiles could sink a battleship from way beyond Its response range. Even a huge gun APFSDS would be super unlikely to bridge the range gap between a gun and an antiship missile.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, I followed from the spaceflight thread because I also didn't want to derail it too much, but I live within a Wisconsin-length of the Wisconsin and it's pretty cool. I don't know about other Iowa-class but compared to most of the other ship museums I've visited it's definitely up there. It's got a few select areas open for the general self-guided tour and some more areas that they do guided tours of.

So, what's the purpose of the curved metal plate at the bottom of the picture? thingy for breaking up waves that come over the bow?

fake e: I never noticed that the word for the front part of the ship, "bow", and the thing for launching arrows, "bow" spell exactly the same, but you pronounce them differently.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
get this: in english lead rhymes with read but lead rhymes with read :mrgw:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, what's the purpose of the curved metal plate at the bottom of the picture? thingy for breaking up waves that come over the bow?

That would be my guess. Ocean liners have a similar structure for diverting waves in heavy seas.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HEY GUNS posted:

It's a silly language to be sure.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sometimes we spell it "led" just to gently caress with you

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
don't forget lede

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

don't forget lede

I'm a native english speaker and I didn't see that word until I was like, 28, and I thought for sure it was a typo

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm a native english speaker and I didn't see that word until I was like, 28, and I thought for sure it was a typo

I was tue same but to be fair it is mostly an American thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

don't forget lede

So many German correspondents to English magazines have burned out while writing lieds at the editor's request.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ainsley McTree posted:

To be fair, it's journalist jargon, not a commonly-used word. See also "hed" and "graf". Journalists: intentionally mispelling shop talk terms because our whole schtick is getting the spelling right on everything the public sees. It's ironic or something.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

bewbies posted:

that...would own

A longrod lawndart might be able to burrow through more armor, but that 16" AP shell just either takes the armor plate with it or spalls the other side off, filling the compartment with giant steel splinters, same as 32-pound roundshot did against wooden ships.

If battleships had continued to evolve, they would have bankrupted nations. The Iowa class (the best BBs if not technicallly the last, Vanguard was rather lacking in ... well, everything) were not proof against their own guns at most ranges, which was kind of the main idea in earlier battleships. (I mean if two of them were to fight a duel, not a joke about Iowa's accident.)

Kinda disappointed Montana didn't get built, though.

Edit: oops double post, I meant to copypaste this into an edit of the above post but forgot.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lede is spelled the way it is because lead was a printer's term and it was confusing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ainsley McTree posted:

my dad's a blues musician so I quickly got track of my ledbellies and leadbetters :whatup:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chillbro Baggins posted:

A longrod lawndart might be able to burrow through more armor, but that 16" AP shell just either takes the armor plate with it or spalls the other side off, filling the compartment with giant steel splinters, same as 32-pound roundshot did against wooden ships.

I feel like there were some armors that were protected, or at least resistant, to 16" AP...and had battleships continued their glorious development presumably their armor would've gotten better and better too. Like, imagine a battleship with composite, spaced armor. You'd NEED a 6 foot long heavy metal penetrator.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Or just a nuke.

poo poo, now I really want to see the crazy Cold War schemes from the alternate timeline where battleships were expected to trade nuclear artillery salvos.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

I feel like there were some armors that were protected, or at least resistant, to 16" AP...and had battleships continued their glorious development presumably their armor would've gotten better and better too. Like, imagine a battleship with composite, spaced armor. You'd NEED a 6 foot long heavy metal penetrator.

Right up until some rear end in a top hat develops the top-attack ship launched missile (presuming we live in a world where aircraft aren't possible)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if they could have invented some kind of long range torpedo launcher, also.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fangz posted:

I wonder if they could have invented some kind of long range torpedo launcher, also.

Some kind of "long spear" or "long trident" perhaps. Maybe "long assegai"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Long Lance would have been pretty lethal with a half-decent homing system...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some kind of "long spear" or "long trident" perhaps. Maybe "long assegai"

And we come back to pikes again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fangz posted:

The Long Lance would have been pretty lethal with a half-decent homing system...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ironically that was a terrible homing system because visibility was poo poo. IIRC they didn't have a proper periscope, just a window on the fin. You can imagine how well that worked.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In the interest of keeping my blog more on topic and focusing on subjects I find interesting personally, I'm going to trim the artillery articles a little.

Tiger (P)

Queue: Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1, T-34 applique armour projects

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I

T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944

:britain:
Archer
Challenger I

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82

Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service
Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 15, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I wanna hear about T34 applique armour, since I've only really heard about it in terms of Shermans.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

I wanna hear about T34 applique armour, since I've only really heard about it in terms of Shermans.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

A priest and two kids?

I once looked for the wiki on those balloons, and fell down the weird rabbit hole of modern balloon warfare: first about the British using balloons to gently caress with the German electrical grid, then on the extensive use by America of recon balloons post-war. And then that leads you to Combined balloon-rocket combos and the discovery of the van Allen belts...

There's an alternate universe where balloon warfare took off and the Macy's Day Parade was our equivalent of one of those Soviet military parades with all the ICBMS.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ah, the ablative Soviet armor. Extremely modular, you just plug another one on wherever you take a hit. The pinnacle of vehicular armor.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aladW_D4nKU

The World of Tanks historian gets to crawl around his former ride. Most of his videos, he's read the manual, and knows his way around the tank because they're all pretty similar, albeit smaller than he's used to*. This one, it's the one he lived in for a year.

He's 6'5", rather tall for WWII tanks. Fits perfectly in his seat in the M1A1. To be fair, well...

The roomiest WWII medium tank is about the footprint of the turret of the Abrams. Modern tanks are loving huge.

Also he is a Brit (Northern Irish, explains the weird accent) converted to American, and complains about the lack of a boiling vessel in the American M1.

"I thought of duct-taping my saber to the end of the gun tube, but the sword cost $400 and the first round downrange would be the end of it, so probably not the best idea."

Edit: It has fuel tanks in the front, around the driver. It burns jet fuel*, basically fancy diesel, so the fuel doesn't catch fire easily. The front fuel tanks are extra armor.

*the US military has streamlined their supply line, all the trucks are diesels, all the tanks, helicopters, and airplanes are turbines. They all use the same fuel.An M1 or an F-22 would be perfectly happy filled with regular diesel fuel, if the hose was long enough to reach the filler hole.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 15, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chillbro Baggins posted:

*the US military has streamlined their supply line, all the trucks are diesels, all the tanks, helicopters, and airplanes are turbines. They all use the same fuel.An M1 or an F-22 would be perfectly happy filled with regular diesel fuel, if the hose was long enough to reach the filler hole.

This seems like a pretty decent idea for the most part, are there any overt or hidden disadvantages to it?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

This seems like a pretty decent idea for the most part, are there any overt or hidden disadvantages to it?

While this CAN be done, it can affect engine life.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not that I know of. Double bonus, all those engines will run on anything that burns. You have to adjust something on the piston engines to make them run well on, say, tequila, but turbines don't give a gently caress as long as you put something that burns into them (a lot of industrial backup electrical generators are the civilian version of the J79, many of them burn LNG or propane.)

Maintenence intervals are somewhat shorter when you're using anything other than JP-8, but if you're desperate enough to fuel your jet with cognac, you're not so much worried about your mechanics yelling at you as surviving, y'know?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 15, 2018

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Also he is a Brit (Northern Irish, explains the weird accent) converted to American, and complains about the lack of a boiling vessel in the American M1.

If he’s from the north he sure wasn’t there for long, that’s a Dublin accent he’s got, albeit somewhat worn by 15+ years in the US

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes. The m1 turbine is a horrible on fuel economy and breaks down way too often even with jp8 only. Having crewed a Leo 2a4 for FDF back in the day and Now crewing a m1a2 for US Army I can safely say the ”we should convert to diesel” conversation that US armor development has pretty much once a year has a lot of reason to it. Same reason is why soviets dumped the turbine, though for them the turbine unreliability was even bigger issue because Soviet engineering.

Also on the size of Tanks, Tiger I and Leo 2 are almost exactly same size. Tiger, however has a crew of 5.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Quinntan posted:

If he’s from the north he sure wasn’t there for long, that’s a Dublin accent he’s got, albeit somewhat worn by 15+ years in the US

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's from the Republic of Ireland before emigrating to the US

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a letter

quote:

Dearest to my heart, a thousand times my darling, Hans Merten,
I wish you as many hundred thousand good nights as there are stars in the heavens between you and me, and I also send you as many hundred thousand good nights from my sister Osanna. She says you should also think of her, and no hour passes without her thinking of you. I also greet you from all my siblings, father, and mother, all together.

My dearest Hans Merten, the lock of hair which you sent me, I have sewn up with gold-colored silk and wear around my right arm. Otherwise I have no amusement other than your dog. When he thinks that it is getting to be evening, he runs into our room and lies down under my bed at the head. When morning breaks, he does not get up until we get up. My dearest-to-my-heart darling, I humbly beg you, for the sake of God, to kindly send me something. Then the burghers here will gossip without end about the 5 Hungarian gulden you’ve sent me. And so I ask you completely humbly to kindly send me something, me and my sister especially.
http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/sub_document.cfm?document_id=3710

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
lol