Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Pretty stoked to have just got a traktor S4, essentially brand new, for $350 w flight case. Upgraded from my slightly broken S2 (broken pressure sensor on deck B). I happened to see a social media post right when it got posted from a friend who wanted to get into DJing, bought it, used it a couple times, and then shelved it.

Just in time for my first real festival gig :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

mitztronic posted:

Pretty stoked to have just got a traktor S4, essentially brand new, for $350 w flight case. Upgraded from my slightly broken S2 (broken pressure sensor on deck B). I happened to see a social media post right when it got posted from a friend who wanted to get into DJing, bought it, used it a couple times, and then shelved it.

Just in time for my first real festival gig :D

Nice! I have the Traktor S2 which I got to teach myself how to DJ. It's a lot of fun and I should get back into DJing, but I have been getting more into vinyl lately and kinda want to learn how to DJ on turntables with real vinyl.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Turntables are fun, but come with a lot of baggage (literal meaning), which is why I ultimately abandoned them (along with the cost of records being too much to stomach), and then later on abandoned CDJs. They were both more intimate in the way that you interacted with them to the music than controllers, but take up more physical space, take longer to setup and breakdown, and require that you bring crates of vinyl or CD jackets. In the case of turntables, you need multiple flight cases to travel with them; for CDJs+Mixer, a very large case. Now I can fit everything I need in one small case that I can carry with one arm, that takes <5 minutes to setup and hook in and I'm good to go.

Nothin' wrong with any setup as long as you're rockin' it

edit: forgot to mention the $ of vinyl

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 31, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought this was a cool video to show how the drum machine section of this Roland controller can be put to good use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf-I0-a9BO0

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

mitztronic posted:

Turntables are fun, but come with a lot of baggage (literal meaning), which is why I ultimately abandoned them (along with the cost of records being too much to stomach), and then later on abandoned CDJs. They were both more intimate in the way that you interacted with them to the music than controllers, but take up more physical space, take longer to setup and breakdown, and require that you bring crates of vinyl or CD jackets. In the case of turntables, you need multiple flight cases to travel with them; for CDJs+Mixer, a very large case. Now I can fit everything I need in one small case that I can carry with one arm, that takes <5 minutes to setup and hook in and I'm good to go.

Nothin' wrong with any setup as long as you're rockin' it

edit: forgot to mention the $ of vinyl

Oh I am hopelessly sucked into spending way too much on vinyl and absolutely understand not wanting to go that route for $ reasons. I used my S2 for a few months to teach myself how to beatmatch and mix tracks, did a couple minor parties, and then it collected dust as I focused more on the production side of things. I do a lot of sample based hip-hop so turntables are a consistent piece of my workflow and I use mine every single day.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Taking a moment to bitch about the used market. No, your used gear is not worth 90% of what I could pay new. No, I don't care that your price is "firm", if it hasn't sold in 3 months despite posting it on facebook marketplace and craigslist as a new listing every two weeks then theres a reason it isn't moving at that price.

Also the people who don't understand why throwing in a 2 channel mixer with one master out and nothing else isn't a "deal".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have the opposite problem, I'm trying to sell a dead mint Tascam XS-8 which is a rebadged ecler 320 for $100 and I'm getting like "yo does this do serato" and offers of literally fifteen dollars.

[if anyone's interested let me know, it's in the original box so I could ship it]

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

Taking a moment to bitch about the used market. No, your used gear is not worth 90% of what I could pay new. No, I don't care that your price is "firm", if it hasn't sold in 3 months despite posting it on facebook marketplace and craigslist as a new listing every two weeks then theres a reason it isn't moving at that price.

Also the people who don't understand why throwing in a 2 channel mixer with one master out and nothing else isn't a "deal".

I could bitch about this all day and it is even worse in the used vinyl market. I'm sorry buddy, but literally no one is going to pay $200 for your collection of 20 Elvis records. Or people selling a collection of records all together and saying $1/record is more than fair, when more than 60% of the collection is utter trash. One would think that if someone is selling the whole thing together, they want to move it quickly, otherwise they wouldn't mind selling it in pieces. But at the prices they list this poo poo at, no one in their right mind is going to buy them, and they stay up for months and refuse to take any offers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Go look up CRTs on Craigslist and get ready to laugh. Some people just have insane expectations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oh I got a new one yesterday which has to be one of the most interesting sales tactics I have seen yet. Dude has craigslist ad selling collection of about 100 records, mostly house/techno and hip/hop from pre-2005. I message him, asking about quality and price. He says they are all in good shape (doubtful) and that he was thinking $1/record would be fair but he wants to sell the whole thing together. You can't price them PER RECORD if you are selling them as an entire collection first of all, makes absolutely no sense.

I said I would need to take a look at them and assess condition and whether I wanted a majority of them or not. He then proceeded to tell me he wouldn't be able to meet up until Thursday because he was going to have a DJ friend of his come by and see if any of the records were worth more than $25, since he found a valuable Sublime record and wants to take any others out first. I mean there is nothing wrong with doing what he is doing, but why the gently caress would you tell me that AFTER you have given me a price. Basically saying "I want $100 for the whole thing. But that is after I remove any valuable records, which may or may not be there.

It just boggles my mind how people conduct a sale/business.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This means you can low-ball him even more since he shared that info with you.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

qirex posted:

I have the opposite problem, I'm trying to sell a dead mint Tascam XS-8 which is a rebadged ecler 320 for $100 and I'm getting like "yo does this do serato" and offers of literally fifteen dollars.

[if anyone's interested let me know, it's in the original box so I could ship it]

I would look up the various scratch/turntablism forums, those are the only people who a) will appreciate what it is and b) have use for it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This means you can low-ball him even more since he shared that info with you.

Oh absolutely. I just don't understand it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did beatport move their electro from the techno section? In that subgenre the last track is from February. I think it's under leftfield house/techno know since I saw some more recent Carl Finlow stuff there, but there's no checkbox for it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport makes all kinds of radical changes to their genre listings and it's incredibly disruptive to workflow to some people (such as myself). I don't buy as much music anymore as a result, but I do understand why they are doing it, I just disagree with some of their decisions (like grouping electronica with chill, two of their biggest genres, into one steaming unorganized pile of poo poo)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Don't know if it makes sense to make a new mix thread (the other one was killed), post them in here, or just don't post them on SA/in the weed thread. But here is a thing I just finished, desert house music.
Stream: https://www.mixcloud.com/mitztronic/awaken/
D/L: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl8nyiiirqzh1ma/Awaken.mp3?dl=0

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I have been really getting into collecting vinyl over the past couple years and I would like to start teaching myself how to DJ using two turntables and a mixer. I taught myself basic mixing and beat-matching on a Traktor S2 but I am wondering if there is a good place to start learning vinyl DJing techniques. Any tutorial videos people would recommend?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVolzBEy-MU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I might have impulse bought a DDJ-SB3 to play with, having no prior experience or knowledge.

New hobby or wasted money? Let's find out!

Edit: Should I have bought something else? I can always return it, and it was pretty well recommended by folks I know.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 11, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

So I might have impulse bought a DDJ-SB3 to play with, having no prior experience or knowledge.

New hobby or wasted money? Let's find out!

Edit: Should I have bought something else? I can always return it, and it was pretty well recommended by folks I know.

That’s a pretty great starting piece of gear to teach yourself DJing. Pioneer makes great products and are probably the most-used controllers for DJs at this point.

A big thing I realized when I started teaching myself to DJ was that I had very little music for actually DJing in my library. I joined a record pool online and went on a download binge to build up my library.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

MrSargent posted:

That’s a pretty great starting piece of gear to teach yourself DJing. Pioneer makes great products and are probably the most-used controllers for DJs at this point.

A big thing I realized when I started teaching myself to DJ was that I had very little music for actually DJing in my library. I joined a record pool online and went on a download binge to build up my library.

That was my second thought, actually. I had heard there's a way to interface it with Spotify?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Deviant posted:

That was my second thought, actually. I had heard there's a way to interface it with Spotify?

I've never used nor do I know anyone who has but I think Djay Pro works with Spotify and supports Pioneer controllers.

You are probably better off actually building a decent collection simply because you can't gauruntee internet connection and/or speed

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fat gay nonce posted:

I've never used nor do I know anyone who has but I think Djay Pro works with Spotify and supports Pioneer controllers.

You are probably better off actually building a decent collection simply because you can't gauruntee internet connection and/or speed

Oh, sure, but something like that is fine for dicking around at home, which I'm sure will be 99.9% of my use-case.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

fat gay nonce posted:

Take a track you know well, from say a CD or Wav/Flac/Aiff
Convert it to to a few different bitrate mp3s 320/128/96
Have a listen
Push each version around in your controller
File away information for later use :)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hm, I didn't realize the SB3 will only output through its rear 'Master' port in Serato. So I gotta run a Y-Cable to the back of my PC's Line-In if i want audio on those speakers.

Annoying.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Deviant posted:

Hm, I didn't realize the SB3 will only output through its rear 'Master' port in Serato. So I gotta run a Y-Cable to the back of my PC's Line-In if i want audio on those speakers.

Annoying.

What's the setup you are trying to achieve because going via a line in to a pc soundcard is going to add loads of latency to the output which is a bad thing unless you intend to mix solely in headphones

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fat gay nonce posted:

What's the setup you are trying to achieve because going via a line in to a pc soundcard is going to add loads of latency to the output which is a bad thing unless you intend to mix solely in headphones

I just figured i already had speakers on my desk attached to my computer, and i was gonna use those rather than dedicate a second set purely to the ddj-sb3.

Right now my setup is

Controller headphone jack -> Headphones
Controller RCA Master Port -> PC Line In -> Windows is set to "Listen to this Device" for PC Speakers
Controller USB -> USB Port on PC

Despite being plugged into my pc via usb, serato refuses to output anywhere except the ports on the controller. I'm told this is by design, and it's kind of annoying.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 12, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Just get an A/B switch for your computer speakers. It'll be a lot easier in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Table...+input+selector

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Just get an A/B switch for your computer speakers. It'll be a lot easier in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Table...+input+selector

That's gonna be tricky, my PC speakers are a 5.1 set with a 3 wire cable from PC->Subwoofer and 5 speakers with RCA jacks plugging into the subwoofer, where i use the front two for stereo sources. I guess I could just put those two speakers on the a/b switch?

Might be time to upgrade to decent stereo speakers rather than the 5.1 set? I have these, but they're out in the living room on my turntable. They would do exactly what I need though...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NVC43B
Edifier R1280DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Optical Input - Wireless Studio Monitors - 4 Inch Near Field Speaker - 42w RMS - Wood Grain (Black)

fat gay nonce posted:

Can we define loads of latency? It feels synced up from a casual listen to speakers+headphones, but I'm not a super trained ear.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 12, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use my Traktor S2 mostly as a sound card for my Mac. USB the two together, plug in monitors to the controller and set it as the master audio device. Works nicely.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I think I'll probably just bring the Edifers in here and use them as my computer speakers, since they have two inputs, and get something else to go on the turntable, or a second set of them for the other room.

That, or return the SB3 and get a Traktor S2 mk3 here in a few when it comes out in October?

Not sure which would suit me better.

Edit: The SB3 seems to have a mapping for Traktor, so i can play around with it, unless the S2 would have better feeling hardware?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use my Traktor S2 mostly as a sound card for my Mac. USB the two together, plug in monitors to the controller and set it as the master audio device. Works nicely.

I had to read this a few times, but it's pretty clever.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 13, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

agghh quote edit.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Deviant posted:

Can we define loads of latency? It feels synced up from a casual listen to speakers+headphones, but I'm not a super trained ear.

It will depend on the soundcard itself and the drivers you are using, generally though unless you are using Asio drivers your latency is going to be over 50ms.

Whether this will be an issue for you will depend on how you are mixing. If you are hitting sync on a deck then play latency doesn't matter.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I ended up ordering the speakers, so it's a non issue, i'll be straight from controller -> speakers.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can anyone recommend a book that talks about the less-tangible DJ skills, like reading a room and building a set? How to DJ Right covered some of it, and I'm wondering if there are any other books that cover those kind of subjects more in-depth.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not sure that's something that'd be more than a page or two in a book to be honest.

Reading a room and set building are related in that you need to know your audience. If you get asked to play a funk/disco night you're not going to play a nailcore drum and bass set... It's just knowing what's appropriate where and at what time, hopefully your music collection will be suited to the sort of events you'd be asked to play at. If I were to offer advice I'd tell you to go out to more events and basically people watch for an evening, a warm-up DJ's set is vastly different to that of a peak time one and you'd be setting the tone for the evening, playing stuff that gets people in the mood as they're starting to drink and meet friends. For whatever type of music you want to play, hit up an event and check out the sort of vibe being put out by the DJs, watch the room and how people react but bear in mind that everyone is different and you can't please all the people all the time...

I tend not to play sets of music I don't like which works because then my music collection is usually tailored to whatever I do like which means I have plenty of options. Building a collection for a genre you don't particularly enjoy sounds like an utter nightmare so I don't envy anyone who has to do that, it sounds like the perfect way to ruin any enjoyment you get out of music.

In short: go to more events and pay attention, a book can't teach you this stuff.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Which JICO stylus is the best substitute for the OEM m44-7? Is it this one?
https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1013&osCsid=ebn6ckni9is82duenj2n00sbt3

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Once again I'm trying to streamline my music collections across my three machines, and I'm at something of a roadblock. I've come to the conclusion that the best way to keep Traktor and Rekordbox libraries sync'd across my computers is to make them both native to an external drive. The roadblock I seem to be hitting is that both pieces of software don't like to 'relocate' files unless they're actively flagged as missing.

Rekordbox already has a utility in its preferences to transfer the database, and I can highlight all new tracks and export them to the external drive... but it doesn't seem to want to relocate them unless I trash the original files. What's worse, is that using its 'use this location to find other files' function doesn't seem to support nested folders (artist>album, for example), but it writes this kind of folder hierarchy on export!

Traktor, on the other hand, will support folder hierarchy, but its 'relocate' function will scan the entire selected volume, which takes forever. I'm currently exporting its library, tracks and all, to the new drive, then I will load that collection and check the filepaths - but if I import new music in the future, will it automatically copy it to the external drive? If I change one of the library locations in the File Management pane, will it do this?

Basically I want to be able to add tracks, alter hotcues and organize playlists in my Traktor and Rekordbox libraries on my desktop, then move the hard drive over to my laptop and have the exact same updated data show there.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
what tools do you guys use for tagging/sorting music? itunes has a really annoying feature where it starts to sync files to the cloud, locally deletes my file and then never upload the track leaving me with dozens of greyed out tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Mister Speaker posted:

Once again I'm trying to streamline my music collections across my three machines, and I'm at something of a roadblock. I've come to the conclusion that the best way to keep Traktor and Rekordbox libraries sync'd across my computers is to make them both native to an external drive. The roadblock I seem to be hitting is that both pieces of software don't like to 'relocate' files unless they're actively flagged as missing.

Rekordbox already has a utility in its preferences to transfer the database, and I can highlight all new tracks and export them to the external drive... but it doesn't seem to want to relocate them unless I trash the original files. What's worse, is that using its 'use this location to find other files' function doesn't seem to support nested folders (artist>album, for example), but it writes this kind of folder hierarchy on export!

Traktor, on the other hand, will support folder hierarchy, but its 'relocate' function will scan the entire selected volume, which takes forever. I'm currently exporting its library, tracks and all, to the new drive, then I will load that collection and check the filepaths - but if I import new music in the future, will it automatically copy it to the external drive? If I change one of the library locations in the File Management pane, will it do this?

Basically I want to be able to add tracks, alter hotcues and organize playlists in my Traktor and Rekordbox libraries on my desktop, then move the hard drive over to my laptop and have the exact same updated data show there.

You want Rekord Buddy.