Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

So, banking goons, why is it so hard to get a safe deposit box? It seems like every branch of every bank should have a few open at this rate but nearly everyone has no vacancy.

If you are in a city, it is because real estate is expensive and they aren't opening a ton of new branches in areas with expensive real estate that are big enough for safe box facilities. Safe deposit boxes are a convenience service offered to customers because customers want that from their bank, not a money maker.

One of the things banks talk a lot about with sales staff is selling "sticky products" that will keep a customer coming to the bank and give them opportunities for additional sales. Free checking is one such service, but a safe box has to be stick as hell. Typically you pay for a year in advance and when you access it you are coming in to a physical branch and waiting in line in the lobby. Add in checking and a credit card, and suddenly it might be a huge pain in the rear end to change banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Wouldn't a sovcit have more respect for the independent-from-the-state, fully-owned-land of another of God's children, and therefore not gently caress with it unless he needed to steal electricity from him to power his cryptocurrency miners?

Internal consistency and logic are not the average sovereign citizen’s greatest strength.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

If you are in a city, it is because real estate is expensive and they aren't opening a ton of new branches in areas with expensive real estate that are big enough for safe box facilities. Safe deposit boxes are a convenience service offered to customers because customers want that from their bank, not a money maker.

One of the things banks talk a lot about with sales staff is selling "sticky products" that will keep a customer coming to the bank and give them opportunities for additional sales. Free checking is one such service, but a safe box has to be stick as hell. Typically you pay for a year in advance and when you access it you are coming in to a physical branch and waiting in line in the lobby. Add in checking and a credit card, and suddenly it might be a huge pain in the rear end to change banks.

Makes sense, thanks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Not a real BWM post, but an thought experiment in hypothetical horse BWM, since this thread loves that so much:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/9o3gkw/whats_your_hobby_that_would_recklessly_swallow posted:

What's your hobby that would recklessly swallow the most cash after your $20 million lottery winnings?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/9o3gkw/whats_your_hobby_that_would_recklessly_swallow/e7sbzo8 posted:

Horses. Allllll the horses. Import costs alone would eat up much of the money. State of the art barn with all the fancy bells and whistles. Olympic size riding arena. An apartment complex for my stable workers. On site farrier. Separate farm for quarantine and kill pen/auction horse rehab. I don’t play polo but let’s just add acreage for that while we’re at it.

All. The. Horse. Things.

How dare she set up an area to kill God's most majestic creatures?!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
So a kill pen is just a horse pen with an ant farm in the middle?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Or a lightning rod, or a plastic grocery bag.

Now let's take a peek at the killing floor.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

SpelledBackwards posted:

Not a real BWM post, but an thought experiment in hypothetical horse BWM, since this thread loves that so much:

If you are ever bored, seek out the documentary Beware of Mr. Baker. It's about Ginger Baker, the legendary drummer of Cream, who is as lovely a person as he is great a drummer, and then some. Fascinating stuff and chock full of BWL. It's actually a little depressing, though not because of him, but rather the wreckage he's left around him over the last several decades, in particular his family.

The relevance here is, after years of acrimony, royalty lawsuits, and general infighting at a level that makes most "former band mates hate each other" stories seem tame, Baker agrees to a 4 performance reunion concert in 2005, which actually goes well. And he's paid a ton of money for it. Which he promptly turns around and spends on importing 70-odd Polo horses to South Africa, which is where he was living in near-poverty before the reunion. And was living in near-poverty after it, if you follow the horse trail to its logical conclusion.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I have to imagine boating would be a close 2nd, unless you blow that $20 mil on just one big boat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Something Offal posted:

But what is it about SoCal and/or those professions / backgrounds that give rise to fraud? And what kind of fraud? Sounds really interesting.

Armenian Power, aka the fisher-price version of the Russian Mafia. Bustouts and bank fraud are big with that gang. That's the biggest area of overlap, and making fraudulent trucking companies (or real ones which in no way match up to their paperwork) to launder money and get merchant processing (to monetize fraud cards) is another one of their associated methodologies.

Socal is super densely populated and AP isn't the only organized criminal operation but they're top of the list when it comes to bustouts. Vietnamese gangs lean more towards skimmers and ID theft, but ever since they started getting mail theft involved (e.g. use stolen identities tied to addresses in, say, Irvine or Arcadia, sign up for USPS delivery notifications, then lift the cards from the mail) the USPIS has been flexing some absolutely terrifying muscle in tracking down the perps.

You can't really just lock out an entire region especially southern california based on some gangs, and doing anything based on ethnic-sounding names is deep into :yikes: territory so the losses to some degree are the cost of doing business.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
armenian power sounds like a hydroelectric utility in the caucasus

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

I love hilarious BWM:

In the comments:

BWM: Not putting your dogs poop in your bin.
BWL: Making an enemy of your neighbor for no reason.

When my neighbors did something similar I just took the poop and threw it on their doorstep. I guess taking them to court would work too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lol, this kid is 100% going to go to jail someday.

My uncle bought a company for me

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9o58xi/my_uncle_bought_a_company_for_me/

quote:

So my uncle has 33% of shares of a company himself and is a manager in it. He works with 2 other people, all 3 of them know the business pretty well. I was assigned to be a manager's assistant. I own 0% of the company and don't do much besides get some documents from one place to another.

Now my uncle bought another company from a friend and I currently own 100% of the company. I am the manager there and my uncle is the assistant. We work with the people from my uncle's company and they pretty much take care of everything, I just some times take take some documents to places. Is there anything I should know that I've entered this? I'm from Europe if that matters and am still an 18y/o finishing my last year in highschool.

Comments are telling the kid what an amazing opportunity this is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
those people commenting are complete retards

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Even putting aside the red flags that make it pretty clear he's being set up as a patsy; how could anyone judge that it is a "good opportunity" with so few details. No information about how the business is structured for general liability assessment, and no mention of what they even do to assume that it is a business worth learning from. At least there's one comment now pointing out that there could be shady poo poo going on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

armenian power sounds like a hydroelectric utility in the caucasus

I mean they may own or control one

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Armenian Power, aka the fisher-price version of the Russian Mafia. Bustouts and bank fraud are big with that gang. That's the biggest area of overlap, and making fraudulent trucking companies (or real ones which in no way match up to their paperwork) to launder money and get merchant processing (to monetize fraud cards) is another one of their associated methodologies.

Socal is super densely populated and AP isn't the only organized criminal operation but they're top of the list when it comes to bustouts. Vietnamese gangs lean more towards skimmers and ID theft, but ever since they started getting mail theft involved (e.g. use stolen identities tied to addresses in, say, Irvine or Arcadia, sign up for USPS delivery notifications, then lift the cards from the mail) the USPIS has been flexing some absolutely terrifying muscle in tracking down the perps.

You can't really just lock out an entire region especially southern california based on some gangs, and doing anything based on ethnic-sounding names is deep into :yikes: territory so the losses to some degree are the cost of doing business.

Yeah, our documentation and procedures certainly do not identify ethnicities, just certain red flags that if present get passed to a manager. And the vast majority of apps from Armenians, Eastern Europeans, and Chinese are legit applications that we want to approve, we just need to hit the brakes if there are certain other circumstances present on the application.

It is kind of like how most of the time a Hispanic borrower with a good credit score would be someone you would want to give a car loan to, but if he already has 4 active auto loans on the credit bureau you might want to confirm that he is the buyer and user of the car and not his cousin.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

therobit posted:

borrower with a good credit score would be someone you would want to give a cat loan to,

Are those GWM or BWM loans?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

therobit posted:

Yeah, our documentation and procedures certainly do not identify ethnicities, just certain red flags that hey there learn passed to a manager. And the vast majority of apps from Armenians, Eastern Europeans, and Chinese are legit applications that we want to approve, we'r just need to hit the brakes of the are certain other circumstances present on the application.

It is kind of like how most of the time a Hispanic borrower with a good credit score would be someone you would want to give a cat loan to, but if he already has 4 active auto loans on the credit bureau you might want to confirm that he is the buyer and user of the car and not his cousin.

You need to work on your spellcheck.

Also: cat loans: the new dog loans?

^nice edit to remove all the misspellings lol

E: I could’ve sworn there was another paragraph there filled with misspellings, but maybe I’m losing my mind.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

You need to work on your spellcheck.

Also: cat loans: the new dog loans?

^nice edit to remove all the misspellings lol

E: I could’ve sworn there was another paragraph there filled with misspellings, but maybe I’m losing my mind.

Yeah, I'm home sick today and phone posting, sorry. I wish my bank did cat secured loans.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Lockback posted:

Are those GWM or BWM loans?

Probably still BWM but at least still more GWM than leasing your pet :x Would you like to know more?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

found this snippet in reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/9o6bn4/i_29m_found_out_that_my_wife_29f_racked_up_a/

It’s called LulaJail? Basically wives keep buying the stupid leggings after their husbands have told them to stop and the vendor adds a little card saying “congrats! You won!” In there. So if the husband finds the package before the wife gets to it, she can just say she won them! Isn’t she suuuuuuuuuper lucky?! How the hell can she keep up the lie that she’s constantly winning leggings?

Your wife is lying about winning them. And I have no idea how you can track her spending especially if she’s opening cards behind her back. And if she’s so sheisty to be doing that AND lying about free leggings.... I dunno how to ever trust her.

Yup. That is the truth the vendors actually ask you if you want a congrats on the package just to throw off your husband. I was shocked when I was asked this.

edit: looks like OP was deleted, here's a copy:

quote:

[Throwaway since my wife and some of my family and friends know my reddit username and I don't want anyone to see this]

Background information on us: My [29M] wife [29F] and I have been married for almost 3 years and together for almost 5 years. Our anniversary in less than 2 weeks. We have a child who will be 2 next month.

I just found out my wife has taken out multiple credit cards in her name without telling me. This was a complete surprise to me and I had no clue. We have one joint credit card but we pay the balance at the end of each month and only use it carefully to avoid overdoing it. I didn't know about these other cards. I found out by fluke and I was shocked. From what I saw she has about $10,000 in debt on these cards. It is all from buying Lularoe.

For people who don't know Lularoe is a clothing scam and pyramid scheme.

When we first got married my wife was always buying it and spending all our money on it. I had to ask her to stop because we couldn't afford it and she promised she would. I thought she did but now it looks like she didn't. I found boxes and boxes of the stuff hidden in our basement and in her closet.

We both work and earn the same amount. I thought we had no debt except for the mortgage on our house which we bought almost 3 years ago just before we got married. We split all the bills and everything equally and put into savings equally. I had no idea about her credit cards or her debt. I am furious and upset. She doesn't know that I know about the debt.

I don't even know how to process this. She promised she would stop. She got one or two packages from the person she buys it from since she promised to stop but both of them came with a sticker on the package saying it was free that she won in a promotion. I had no about any of this and honestly I am a bit numb. I had no idea she would ever do something like this behind my back. I didn't know she had it in her. I imagine confronting her in my head but I chicken out and pretend nothing is wrong.

My question is how do I even begin to unwrap and process all this? I feel like I have been punched in the stomach.

If you got through the whole thing, thanks for reading it.

TL;DR: My wife of almost 3 years and the mother of my child got credit cards behind my back and has $10,000 of debt from buying Lularoe clothes. It was a complete blindside to me. She hid the debt and the clothes from me. I don't even know where to begin with this

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 15, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

From one of the comments on that link:

quote:

I had never heard of that... wow. This is as good of a revelation as the time r/relationships told me about adding visa gift cards to every grocery store purchase to hide other purchases from your spouse, which made a lot of weird transactions from when I worked at a designer store in college make sense (who buys $1k worth of things with a million $15-25 visa gift cards? use a credit card like a normal person). Now I know how people hide their Lularoe.

Man, that is actually a great way to hide poo poo from your spouse. I don't know what the gently caress I would do if I found out my wife was hiding hundreds or thousands of dollars in purchases from me.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Teeter posted:

found this snippet in reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/9o6bn4/i_29m_found_out_that_my_wife_29f_racked_up_a/

It’s called LulaJail? Basically wives keep buying the stupid leggings after their husbands have told them to stop and the vendor adds a little card saying “congrats! You won!” In there. So if the husband finds the package before the wife gets to it, she can just say she won them! Isn’t she suuuuuuuuuper lucky?! How the hell can she keep up the lie that she’s constantly winning leggings?

Your wife is lying about winning them. And I have no idea how you can track her spending especially if she’s opening cards behind her back. And if she’s so sheisty to be doing that AND lying about free leggings.... I dunno how to ever trust her.

Yup. That is the truth the vendors actually ask you if you want a congrats on the package just to throw off your husband. I was shocked when I was asked this.

edit: looks like OP was deleted, here's a copy:

The correct answer is you hire the lawyer now so you can figure out how best to make sure you get saddled with as little of that debt as possible in the divorce.

Because even if you want to keep living together as a married couple and keep raising the children together, you absolutely want to financially separate yourself from her as much as possible.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Lulajail holy poo poo

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I'm actually surprised at the lack of gun posts in this thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dustoph posted:

Gun purchases aren't considered as silly anymore. Liberals started to warm up to the "own guns to protect one's self from tyrannical government" idea in late 2016

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Are there any gun MLMs?

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

the onion wizard posted:

Are there any gun MLMs?

No, people keep confusing down line and down sights.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gun purchases aren't considered as silly anymore. Liberals started to warm up to the "own guns to protect one's self from tyrannical government" idea in late 2016
Counterpoint: Spending hundreds of dollars on something that makes you less safe is bwm.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
edit: gently caress it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nope

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Dustoph posted:

The best time for this would have been around 2008 or 2012, with dipshits loading up credit cards with gun purchases and stockpiling ammo in fear of impending doom/black president/ATF raid/whatever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

See if you can spot the BWM

Getting a loan for rent? Does it make sense

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9okrry/getting_a_loan_for_rent_does_it_make_sense/

quote:

So I am currently in the process of thinking about moving into Long Island City, NY/ Williamsburg area and thinking about getting a loan rather than liquidate some of my assets.

The question I’m asking is is it worth it. I currently run a startup in preseed round and I have a $2000/wk salary ($8000/mo). After funding my salary will be back at 150k/year plus 33.33% revenue share after all expenses.

I have a car payment of $2000/mo for a financed car at 1.49% that I have about 24 months left on

I am looking to move into an apartment for about $2300-2600/mo and I want to know if it’s crazy for me to take out a loan for about $2500 at a low APR 6%ish, roughly $680/mo in payments. I have a great credit score and job security is not the issue, I just would rather not put up the cash and pay the 4000 on top of the loan over the next 3-5 years(likely to pay it off after we launch and become profitable)

I am quite the risk taker, but at the end of the day I could pay the loan back within the next couple months, but again I’d rather have more accessible cash flow now for operating expenses of the business and lifestyle.

Would love to know what you guys think

I would bet money that the startup is blockchain based and the car is a Lambo.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Works at a pre-seed startup, apparently does not have $2,500 in savings on a six-figure income, still owes $50,000 on a car. "Job security isn't the issue" lmao.

On the other hand, bonds for security deposits in the New York City rental market are fairly common. *shrug*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Weatherman posted:

edit: gently caress it
Please do not gently caress guns

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

See if you can spot the BWM

Getting a loan for rent? Does it make sense

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9okrry/getting_a_loan_for_rent_does_it_make_sense/

I would bet money that the startup is blockchain based and the car is a Lambo.

Revenue means not blockchain

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Color me skeptical that there’s revenue.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
If he lives / wants to live in NYC then he should just ditch the car entirely. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Bitcoiners don't understand any of the finance language they use. "Pure Profit" is what they assume they could get if they sold every bitcoin they have at the current (last sale, fractional or otherwise) price and subtract the cost of the video cards they took out a loan for. "Market Cap" is existing bitcoins*current (last sale, fractional or otherwise) price despite the fact that the market is so thin the price isn't going to hold for more than the first couple sales.

So when they say "revenue" they probably mean something that isn't revenue.