Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
they've said releasing 76 only on their platform is an experiment of sorts, but have they given any hint whatsoever about the slightest possibility of it making its way to steam eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

they've said releasing 76 only on their platform is an experiment of sorts, but have they given any hint whatsoever about the slightest possibility of it making its way to steam eventually?

Have to give a cut of paid mods money to steam.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fallout 76 seems like a testing ground for whatever Bethesda is doing next gen with starfield and TES6

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Saladin Rising posted:

Even then, once you lose the crowd it's hard to get them to come back.

"Hey it's been a year and Fallout 76 is playable now, and we finally got mods available, everyone come play! Guys?"

"Oh, you're playing Red Dead Online, or you went back to Destiny/Rust/FO4/New Vegas. Well poo poo, this was a bust."
Yeah that's the problem with these kinds of games. Once you go live it better be perfect, or people will move on to something else. They're not going to wait a year to come back to it even if it's good at that point. Plus you are also going to compete with all of the other existing games in the online shooter market like PUBG, Fortnite, GTAO, etc.

Releasing in the middle of a crowded gaming release time is not going to help, either. It has killed many releases.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Like, look at Cyberpunk. It's an open world FPS RPG that shares a lot of fundamental similarities with Fallout. Maybe you like what we've seen of it, maybe not, but there's no denying it's looking polished as gently caress in all departments.

Bethesda are a huge company that have sold a freaking bajillion games. I would love to see them invest some of that profit back into their tech and completely overhaul it so we're not stuck with this terrible unoptimized mess that their games are built around.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I think that is the most scathing post about Bethesda bholder has ever made my jaw dropped

Usually because I think people complain about the wrong things.

You don't want Bethesda to make New Vegas 2, they should make what they are good at.

I was hoping 76 is them embracing the open world, but even for that it looks half-assed.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout 76 seems like a testing ground for whatever Bethesda is doing next gen with starfield and TES6
tbqh this multiplayer model just isn't going to work

and the MMO concessions such as level requirements pretty much pisses all over the trend of leapfrog progression the bethesda games are famous for (which is why they're both so easy to pick up and play yet also play hundreds of hours in)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bholder posted:

You don't want Bethesda to make New Vegas 2, they should make what they are good at.

First they have to get good at something :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bholder posted:

Usually because I think people complain about the wrong things.

I was hoping 76 is them embracing the open world, but even for that it looks half-assed.

it does look like it's largely a different team

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Fallout 76 is not a big investment for them.

It's obviously the same game as Fallout 4, with multiplayer on top. My guess is that they actually developed part of it during Fallout 4 and are basically recycling f4mp.exe in some fashion. They build a lot of map stuff, but that is probably a process they can do fast and cheap. Plus, they reuse a ton of F4 assets.
They don't need to invest into quests or voice recording, or even writing for that matter. All the quests we have seen have been something like "discover audio log, go to place, find something else, kill something". It's not expensive to write some notes and build a standard mmorpg fetch quest. These youtube dudes put it best when they said the world felt like the interesting stuff had already happened, and you are just searching for clues in an empty area.

I mean take any given good Fallout quest, with multiple endings and branches. With interaction of player and NPC plus scripted events. Hell, many quests could even be started by multiple means, sometimes half-way through just by accident. That's probably hell to make in their engine, because everything breaks and you have to account for the player doing whatever the gently caress they want. Like you supposed to find dude X, but you already killed him some time ago, so you run to the other faction and reveal some secret, and then double-cross them all at the end (or whatever).
Or when you actually do something consequential in the world, like killing an entire faction. That needs reactivity everywhere in the game world. Like in FO4 you can literally genocide everyone on that Fishermen island. Just one option, but it does something in terms of the story. In an online game, you can't do that because every player essentially has to find the same state of the world, so you don't even have to plan for this. The downside is that these sort of over-the-top consequences were part of what made Fallout fun, and why everyone and their dog played Fallout 3, NV and 4 for many, many hours, even though they are all terrible by almost any conventional metric. But developing these things in their broken-rear end engine ain't cheap.

Now a fetch quest, that's easy. You can't really break that even in their engine.

So, now we get statements like "F76 has five times more quests" but also "Interaction and story will be made by players".
It sure smells like they just threw something together for cheap and rely on the online mechanic, aka spergs being satisfied by numbers in a computer going up by one. They feel like this will make some amount of money, and has probably cost next to nothing to develop.

As soon as interest is low, Bethesda will not invest a single dollar more in this project.
Before mods come out, the game is probably already dead.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bardeh posted:

Like, look at Cyberpunk. It's an open world FPS RPG that shares a lot of fundamental similarities with Fallout. Maybe you like what we've seen of it, maybe not, but there's no denying it's looking polished as gently caress in all departments.

Bethesda are a huge company that have sold a freaking bajillion games. I would love to see them invest some of that profit back into their tech and completely overhaul it so we're not stuck with this terrible unoptimized mess that their games are built around.

Not really unless you strip everything away and compare it based on things like, "it has stats, and guns with stats!" Fallout is a pulp sci-fi ridiculous mess and Cyberpunk is aiming for immersive, gritty, and serious.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bardeh posted:

They're following the highly successful Madden model. Why improve the tech and add features when you can change a couple names around, remove anything that you can't convince an intern to maintain, and release it at full price again the next year, especially since you know your client base is gonna go buy it in droves anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I have this weird feeling 76 will having a better hook in me than something like Destiny 2 did. Destiny 2 was really pretty and had really satisfying gun combat but got really boring after a you got close to max gear level because the story and world were so bland. It didn't help that getting to max gear level in Destiny 2 didn't take very long and Bungie's answer to that was to limit how much loot you could get each week. If leveling up in 76 is fun, if trying out various card builds is engaging and if the world is fun to just goof off in with friends I think 76 will do well enough.

are you allowed to make multiple characters

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tei posted:

And mods allow users to push gaming forward creating new genres, CounterStrike, Team Fortress, MOBAs, Battle Royales, Turret Defenses, ... where first mods before they jumped to become games.

Heck their settlement system is similar to a couple of mods that came out for Skyrim.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

They're following the highly successful Madden model. Why improve the tech and add features when you can change a couple names around, remove anything that you can't convince an intern to maintain, and release it at full price again the next year, especially since you know your client base is gonna go buy it in droves anyway.

The Madden model only works because EA literally has a monopoly on most of the sports genre through underhanded exclusivity deals.

E: Sorry for the double post.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Red Dead Online launches in November sooooo

I mean RDR2 Online is absolutely going to kill it, but considering that state GTAO launched in probably early to call it more polished.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rinkles posted:

None, but if it doesn't sell well they might come crawling back to Steam. It's hard to tell at this point what will happen.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rinkles posted:

They did this exact same thing with their last three online focused games ( see Fallout Shelter, TESO, and Elder Scrolls Legends ) where they started on Bnet only, then went to Steam months/years later.

They are also talking about how months/years after release they will introduce private servers you can play on.

I'd place good money that we get a private server/we listened and you can play by yourself now!/maybe NPC expansion all around the same time, and that time is also when it comes to Steam. Say Juneish 2019?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Have they shown anything related to melee weapons? That video from 2 pages back, yikes, if VATS is that bad with guns....

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TjyvTompa posted:

Have they shown anything related to melee weapons? That video from 2 pages back, yikes, if VATS is that bad with guns....

there's a few youtubes floating around, but if you're sort of almost in range with melee and you attack with VATS up you do a little dash forward/lunge attack

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

I think Many A True Nerd talked about it in his own videos about the game. If you use VATS with a melee weapon, you get to lunge forward to line up your attack to the enemy, which means it's quite exploitable.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

They haven't said yet but they did say you can change what your character looks like anytime you want including changing genders. You can also swap cards out whenever so you can, for example, play one card build when you are alone then change it when you party up.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 15, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

We still don't know a few things.

Like... will this game work by selecting a server in a list of servers?

Do your character progression move with you if you change server?

If two of my friends are playing on different servers, can I hope on their server for a quick visit?

is the progress saved serverside of clientside?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tei posted:

We still don't know a few things.

Like... will this game work by selecting a server in a list of servers?

Do your character progression move with you if you change server?

If two of my friends are playing on different servers, can I hope on their server for a quick visit?

is the progress saved serverside of clientside?

1. From what was explained you are just placed in an already generated game or one is generated if all are already full.
2. Yes.
3. They said you can join friend games if they are not full.
4. We don't know.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

1. From what was explained you are just placed in an already generated game or one is generated if all are already full.
2. Yes.
4. We don't know.

Good. That sounds like a frictionless system.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tei posted:

still think it'll make settlements weird, because of their impermanence

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I have this weird feeling 76 will having a better hook in me than something like Destiny 2 did. Destiny 2 was really pretty and had really satisfying gun combat but got really boring after a you got close to max gear level because the story and world were so bland. It didn't help that getting to max gear level in Destiny 2 didn't take very long and Bungie's answer to that was to limit how much loot you could get each week. If leveling up in 76 is fun, if trying out various card builds is engaging and if the world is fun to just goof off in with friends I think 76 will do well enough.

Play warframe. I bought it while high one day over 2 years ago and played for like an hour and then never touched it again. It's free to play but I bought something for the game while high, to clarify. Then after getting frustrated playing with 5 high schoolers at a time to do destiny 2 raids I was just reading some destiny forum poo poo on the internet. I saw a post how destiny is very much like warframe and I thought I bought that and never played it much. I figured I should give it another shot because I was just not enjoying destiny 2.

I really ended up liking warframe. I was really just looking to shoot space aliens after all so it was an easy fit. The levels are randomized ala diablo type game play but in a fps shooter format. It was a big difference from just doing those nightmare strikes that are always the same each week or strikes for the matter. The best way I can describe warframe against destiny is that warframe is more rpg than destiny 2. Warframe has way better gun selection also over destiny 2's watered down you want to shoot a pistol or a shotgun that the game devolved into. They got flamethrowers, they got shotguns, they got guns that shoot rotating boxes, they have shotguns that shoot lasers like a flamethrower, and they have flamethrower pistols. Warframe comes out with free content and destiny comes out with paid dlc. You will only lose time to give it a shot and you have a few weeks before fallout 76 comes out.

To touch briefly on the f2p aspect and do you have to spend money. You don't have to spend anything to try. You can play the game and decide that its not for you and you don't pay anything. You could get by spending 20 bucks. To play destiny 2 from release you had to buy the game $60 and the season pass $30 and now you have to buy the latest dlc another $40 and then another $30 for the new annual pass. That is a $160 buck game to play if you kept current with the game as it has come out. It came out last year! For warframe you do not pay anything for new content, you are only paying so your account can hold more guns. And you could do everything the game ever releases if you are fine with only using something like 9 guns and never using but a few warframes.

One last note for warframe, there is a warframe post on the forums. :siren:Somethingawful has filled one guild and we have a second one in the game.:siren: If you do give the game a shot read the thread and join the clan. It's alot better with a bunch of people to talk with in game. Guilds can have something like 1k players in them, there's not a slathering of clans to dig through.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 15, 2018

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I know they’ve at least confirmed that you can. I want to say that you were allowed up to 5 but I can’t find where I read that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tei posted:

I get the impression from info gathered it will work like MHW sessions, so I can not wait for the constant disconnects.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Azhais posted:

They have added and changed shitloads of tech between each of their game releases, and take years between new games, what the hell are you talking about? Just Skyrim to Fallout 4 was a huge engine change and a 4 year gap.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Warframe costs an increasing amount of whaletokens to buy slots for, so keep that in mind once you find many things worth using~

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

2. Yes.
4. We don't know.

On 3, the servers will apparently flex a bit. So, each server has a 24 player cap, however, if you are on a server with 24 players and a friend wants to join you, the server limit will flex and allow your friend to join, even though the cap is 24. There's of course a hard cap somewhere so all 24 players won't be able to invite 3 friends on and have a 96 player server all of the sudden.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
is there a limit to how many pip boys i can have

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Tenzarin posted:

Play warframe.

I've started and stopped Warframe a few times. It never really grabs me and I can't articulate why. :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I've started and stopped Warframe a few times. It never really grabs me and I can't articulate why. :(

Did you make a rhino warframe that drops from the first boss in the game and also make a hek shotgun so you can blast space alien rear end?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Go back to it and do the adventures things. If you only look at the adventures, warframe is kind of a 20 hours long videogame. The adventures are really good at worldbuilding, answering questions and making new questions. Too bad DE only make like 1 adventure/year, but anyone going to the game now will be able to binge watch all of them one after other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mormonpartyboat posted:

is there a limit to how many pip boys i can have
You only get to have the Pimp Boy 9 Million or whatever it was from NV

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FlamingLiberal posted:

You only get to have the Pimp Boy 9 Million or whatever it was from NV

You say that like it's a problem.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

deathbagel posted:

On 3, the servers will apparently flex a bit. So, each server has a 24 player cap, however, if you are on a server with 24 players and a friend wants to join you, the server limit will flex and allow your friend to join, even though the cap is 24. There's of course a hard cap somewhere so all 24 players won't be able to invite 3 friends on and have a 96 player server all of the sudden.

I didn't know this so it is good to know. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't know this so it is good to know. Thank you.

Destiny has a similar system. A instance can hold 4 teams of 3. But if 3 guys enter solo, then the instance is filled. But these 3 guys can invite people to become 16.