Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

Every rating article of Stands should have Heaven's Door at the top. Like STRAAAIGHT on the top. It messes with skill, physics (sending Josuke backwards at 70 km/h with no outside force), and knowledge (like the italian)

Dio has Heaven's Door write in him, 'Stand power is not restricted by Joestar body' and no longer does he have to sync up by draining Joesph to fully learn it.

The problem is that it's incredibly short-ranged and has low base durability (Rohan can improve that, but needs a few seconds of prep time). There's enough ambush/long-ranged stands out there to push it down the power rankings quite a bit. Personally, I'd put Star Platinum above it - same short-ranged 'I Win' button, better ranged options thanks to its perfect aim, much better defences (particularly against sneak attacks), and stopping time has phenomenal utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
something i had pointed out to me: fighting gold is the first jojo OP that doesnt include joseph

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. That's actually true. Even if he only appears as a silhouette in CNBT.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
crazy noisy bizarre town op

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
poo poo forgot the silhouettes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The problem with Heaven's Door is that it is attached to Rohan.

There's no way he did that for Koichi for free.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Electric Phantasm posted:

The problem with Heaven's Door is that it is attached to Rohan.

There's no way he did that for Koichi for free.

Is this before or after they became roomates? Maybe this counted towards that month's rent.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

koichi is like the only one out of the main part 4 cast he would do that to for free

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The official localized names for Jojo stands kills me every loving time:
Gold Experience -> Golden Wind :jerkbag:
Sticky Fingers -> Zipper Man :psyduck:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
nothing will EVER top Bad Worse Company

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

boy man man is pretty far out there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The best name change is in Part 6 and I won't spoil it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the name changes are good. they're like the bad fansubs of part 1 and 2 but actually good. and legally mandated!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

is there a list someplace of the official english names for parts 5+?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's nothing better than the store brand stand names in the subtitle as the characters dramatically say their real names.

Kuvo posted:

The wiki lists the english names in every stand's page, should it have a localized name already.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kuvo posted:

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/JoJo_Wiki:Name_Variants

This has every name variant for every character, but it does include all official translations of Stand names so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't click on anything related to the wiki if you don't want to see spoilers, by the way

it should be obvious but really i feel obligated to say it

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

This has every name variant for every character, but it does include all official translations of Stand names so far.

Thanks for the link.

The stand I was curious about doesn't have an official english name listed but looking though the others this part provided several laughs.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleman_ posted:

:stare:

Why would you even change something like Weather Report. Do they sue weather channels?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Filthy Acts, at a Reasonable Price

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Supremezero posted:

:stare:

Why would you even change something like Weather Report. Do they sue weather channels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU

read a loving book

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I know the band, I'm asking if they sue Weather channels, since it would be effectively the same thing.

Unless for some reason you thought I meant that Jojo was suing people.

... which considering it's age they may be able to pull off in some cases.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Heaven's Door is incredibly powerful but it's tied to an incredible eccentric who would hate using the godlike powers at his disposal like he could

also it was loving badass when he wrote "I am going to Hell" on the stand on his back

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Supremezero posted:

I know the band, I'm asking if they sue Weather channels, since it would be effectively the same thing.

Unless for some reason you thought I meant that Jojo was suing people.

... which considering it's age they may be able to pull off in some cases.
No they're not the same thing because weather channels are not evoking grammy winning 70s jazz groups .See Echoes becoming Reverb

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

I think people just are freaked out by this absurdly attractive kid in ridiculous clothes staring at them.

in jojo italy being absurdly attractive and having an insane wardrobe is par for the course

Wrestlepig posted:

Heaven's Door is incredibly powerful but it's tied to an incredible eccentric who would hate using the godlike powers at his disposal like he could

also it was loving badass when he wrote "I am going to Hell" on the stand on his back

this was baller as hell and given how heaven's door works, if hell didn't exist before then it does now specifically to send that rear end in a top hat stand there

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just realized the Insect motif on Giorno and Gold Experience's designs sorta ties into their character and powers: metamorphosis. Gold Experience is able to turn inanimate objects into living things, and Giorno went from a meek, abused child to a confident, ambitious grifter. Heck, its even a bit literal with the DIO blood turning his hair blonde.

Also, is this the first time that stand users actually fight it out themselves instead of it being basically psychic pokemon?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 15, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

jivjov posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Arist posted:

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, is this the first time that stand users actually fight it out themselves instead of it being basically psychic pokemon?

Alessi and Anubis both involved themselves directly in combat, Anubis due to being a sword that needs a wielded and Alessi because Sethan’s more a support tool. But as far as punchghosts, yeah I think this is the first time the users directly fight each other.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I dont think Giorno even knows attacking a stand hurts the user too. It didn't matter much this time since they both stands that cant move far from their user.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dartonus posted:

Alessi and Anubis both involved themselves directly in combat, Anubis due to being a sword that needs a wielded and Alessi because Sethan’s more a support tool. But as far as punchghosts, yeah I think this is the first time the users directly fight each other.

When Jotaro punches Josuke when they first meet, he intentionally doesn't use Star Platinum. Mostly because Josuke nearly just broke his face in with Crazy Diamond and also presumably because Jotaro didn't want to seriously injure him.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I expect you to namedrop the Part 6 Stand when it gets animated, because Filthy Acts at Reasonable Prices is pure genius especially when you go for its description.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm sad that Shueisha decided that we europeans must suffer the name changes now

as if prince's estate is ever going to watch a french subtitled anime and decides to sue or something

at least my manga volumes will always be pure

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

brand engager posted:

I dont think Giorno even knows attacking a stand hurts the user too. It didn't matter much this time since they both stands that cant move far from their user.

that's always been pretty inconsistent so he's probably just not counting on it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah, Giorno barely knows what a Stand is, and Bruno's literally the second other person he's met with one. He probably doesn't know the rules.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yinlock posted:

that's always been pretty inconsistent so he's probably just not counting on it
If you assume that stands which act independently and have their own personalities are a different category it's mostly consistent.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you assume that stands which act independently and have their own personalities are a different category it's mostly consistent.

tbf usually a stand AND the user are punched at the same time or just the user, it's pretty rare that a stand itself gets attacked unless it's automatic

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

It's way easier to just change the name than deal with a potential lawsuit in a risk analysis

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the source on the official translated names for stuff we haven't seen yet? Has there been officially translated manga?

Oingo Boingo / Zenyatta Mondatta was the first time I really noticed it. Worst Company was bad (haw) but Zipper Man takes the cake in terms of being comically different, and also just like "what the hell do we call this stand?"

I'm real curious about that part 6 one now, but I don't want to peak at spoilers just yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A lot of them come from All Star Battle and Eyes of Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Until we get the names from CR subs or Viz manga, I would not take ASB/EoH names as defacto. IIRC ASB went with Opal Jam for Pearl Jam, whereas the CR subs go with Pole Jam. Conversely, CR and ASB both use Zipper Man in place of Sticky Fingers, so its up in the air if CR’s gonna keep the infamous Part 6 one.