Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

codo27 posted:

On the topic of chargers, can someone recommend a good 2+ port charger with quickcharge on both/all ports?

I'm sure anything Anker is a good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khablam posted:

Whilst this is true, it's the usual carrier garbage. The unlocked phones have been getting them just fine.
It's more relevant now with Samsung to point to Pixel / Android One vs the [OEM] on [carrier] model. Samsung need to get a little better, but I don't think most people would buy a phone because it got updates ~9 days late. It's now almost wholly on carriers to stop deciding they don't care about N-2year phone models, and I don't think they will soon.
If you buy a Samsung you should get it unlocked. At that point you're realistically getting the 3 years (based on S5 / S6 & S7 history) including 2 letter upgrades.

It's not perfect but I don't think most people who bash them on updates are being wholly fair.

Didn't a recent Galaxy S, maybe 9, have an international Exynos version with noticeably worse battery like than the Snapdragon version in U.S.? Also not sure whether international has all the bands for U.S. carriers, do you know if it does? Last thing is just that Samsung has some draw because you can often get deals through your carrier or Best Buy, so the international version probably often has some mark up relative to that.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The first gen of foldable flagships is going to be really expensive, isn't it? Like 1k+? (Thinking the ones coming from Samsung and Huawei here supposedly for early 2019).

How many people charge and listen to music / media at the same time, or hate dongles enough, that no headphone jack is a dealbreaker?

I mean I have a great pair of expensive earphones that I'll use until they fall apart, but I can't imagine being that pissed off about just using a dongle. The dongle would just form a permanent part of the earphone wire anyway when it gets wrapped up and put back into its case.

you've never got into bed at the end of the day and wanted to watch youtube or listen to music on your phone thats nearly dead because its the end of the day?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone know where I could find a Pixel 3 demo phone in Manhattan? The one Verizon store I could find didn't have one.

I did bumble into the event building. (Can't figure out how to post this on phone aggh) https://imgur.com/gallery/jpUZBRN

New York is a lot like Vancouver btw, never thought I'd say that. Shame about the rats, smell and rude people everywhere (in Vancouver that is).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

you've never got into bed at the end of the day and wanted to watch youtube or listen to music on your phone thats nearly dead because its the end of the day?

why wouldn't you just listen through the speaker? apparently front facing speakers are super important

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Anyone know where I could find a Pixel 3 demo phone in Manhattan? The one Verizon store I could find didn't have one.

I did bumble into the event building. (Can't figure out how to post this on phone aggh) https://imgur.com/gallery/jpUZBRN

New York is a lot like Vancouver btw, never thought I'd say that. Shame about the rats, smell and rude people everywhere (in Vancouver that is).

Any Best Buy

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

why wouldn't you just listen through the speaker? apparently front facing speakers are super important

what if your partner wants to sleep or you are staying in a hostel or want to charge your phone on the train home or on a long plane trip or any other number of situations like that

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It's there a cheat sheet on how to pick the right case for a phone it do you just buy one like you would a wine, the second cheapest one of its kind?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Veskit posted:

It's there a cheat sheet on how to pick the right case for a phone it do you just buy one like you would a wine, the second cheapest one of its kind?

Spigen or Caseology.

Blue Train posted:

what if your partner wants to sleep or you are staying in a hostel or want to charge your phone on the train home or on a long plane trip or any other number of situations like that

Please fix your shift keys.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly, no, but I keep a tablet charged by my bedside for just that purpose. I have an Xperia Z5C, so reading in the dark on a 4.5" screen that's not OLED is no fun at all.

These are a very fair points.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sourdough posted:

Didn't a recent Galaxy S, maybe 9, have an international Exynos version with noticeably worse battery like than the Snapdragon version in U.S.? Also not sure whether international has all the bands for U.S. carriers, do you know if it does? Last thing is just that Samsung has some draw because you can often get deals through your carrier or Best Buy, so the international version probably often has some mark up relative to that.

Yes, the Exynos 9810 is noticeably inferior to the Snapdragon 845 this generation. As for the bands on the unlocked phones, you will have to research what bands your carrier uses and cross reference with what the supported bands are. The international version might not support all the carrier bands, but a USA unlocked phone just might.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How many people charge and listen to music / media at the same time, or hate dongles enough, that no headphone jack is a dealbreaker?

I mean I have a great pair of expensive earphones that I'll use until they fall apart, but I can't imagine being that pissed off about just using a dongle. The dongle would just form a permanent part of the earphone wire anyway when it gets wrapped up and put back into its case.

No headphone jack bit me for the first time this weekend.

Friday night I get off from work and hop in the car for a 3 hour road trip. The car is an 01 that I use a tape adapter and the dongle with daily. Since I had been using my 2XL heavily it was at about 30%. Listening to music and Waze chewed though that rather quickly. I had to go musicless in favor of directions while my phone charged.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

sourdough posted:

Definitely isn't normal behavior on stock dialer, which is probably why you're failing to find any answers. Try a factory reset?
Ugh... that's... a little too drastic. I'd rather not suddenly lose all the data on my phone about as much as I'd rather not have to comb through and make sure everything is on the SD card.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wait, you have a Pixel with an SD card?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Palm is back!

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/10/15/palm-is-back-hands-on/

quote:

The Palm packs a 3.3-inch LCD display that's surprisingly sharp — it has a 445 PPI pixel density, putting it in the same ballpark as devices like the iPhone XS Max where clarity is concerned. It runs Android 8.1, though Palm was careful to paint over it with a clean interface full of big, round app icons that's more than a little reminiscent of the Apple Watch's.

The Palm is a beautiful little thing, crafted from aluminum and Gorilla Glass 3, but I couldn't imagine using this thing all day. To be clear, you're really not supposed to. For one, its octa-core Snapdragon 435 chipset with 3GB of RAM is probably a fair bit slower than whatever's powering your main phone, so the sort of multitasking you might be used to could be a little difficult here.

It isn't meant to have its own phone number, either. For now, at least, the Palm is a Verizon-exclusive, and it uses the carrier's NumberShare service to sync your messages and notifications between your main phone and this thing. 

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Finally, phojes got too big and we need smaller companion phones to carry around for when we don't want to use the bigh phones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Using it while working out is kinda interesting, at least.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DaveKap posted:

on the SD card.

🤔🤔🤔

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Wacky Delly posted:

Finally, phojes got too big and we need smaller companion phones to carry around for when we don't want to use the bigh phones.

I hope it pairs with smartwatches so I don't have to take it out of my pocket

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's a good brand for pixel xl 3 screen protectors, spigen's still isn't out it seems

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

What's a good brand for pixel xl 3 screen protectors, spigen's still isn't out it seems

My guess is a lot of the brands aren't out yet, there's very few cases so far too. You should wait a bit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Spigen has a case. That's all I need.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress you Google, put in my preorder for the Pixel 3 XL. God i'm such a consumer whore.

Should be better than my Pixel XL 1 though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

gently caress you Google, put in my preorder for the Pixel 3 XL. God i'm such a consumer whore.

Should be better than my Pixel XL 1 though.

One of us

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Here's some sour grapes from an ex-Google UI designer, that mainly worked on Google+, but I'm sure that poo poo also applies to other teams within that company. Would certainly explain some things.

https://threader.app/thread/1049523067506966529

(Long read. --edit: It's apparently sourced from a Twitter thread, thus the weird format.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 15, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's some sour grapes from an ex-Google UI designer, that mainly worked on Google+, but I'm sure that poo poo also applies to other teams within that company. Would certainly explain some things.

https://threader.app/thread/1049523067506966529

(Long read. --edit: It's apparently sourced from a Twitter thread, thus the weird format.)

The master designer who makes a billion word diatribe in the form of a hundred tweets

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

P3 reviews hitting

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/10/15/google-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl-review-android-pie/

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The cover image of this article looks like straight 640x480. How embarrassing honestly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I noticed that on Engadget today, I wonder if their CDN is having some sort of issue

Ron has his review out too, he just sounds grumpy and I'm starting to feel like he really doesn't know what he wants in a smartphone anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/pixel-3-xl-review-great-software-but-google-just-isnt-a-hardware-leader/

Basically, everything about USING the phone is great, but he has an axe to grind about the hardware. He's still playing to scratchgate too even after a weekend of people trying and failing to scratch the soft touch material.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I noticed that on Engadget today, I wonder if their CDN is having some sort of issue

Ron has his review out too, he just sounds grumpy and I'm starting to feel like he really doesn't know what he wants in a smartphone anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/pixel-3-xl-review-great-software-but-google-just-isnt-a-hardware-leader/

Basically, everything about USING the phone is great, but he has an axe to grind about the hardware. He's still playing to scratchgate too even after a weekend of people trying and failing to scratch the soft touch material.

Engadget Front end team are idiots and tried to cascade a source image that was only 600x350

I also couldn't give less of a poo poo of the scratchable back since I'm slapping a case on it anyway, but I realize some folks roll naked.

vyst fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 15, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

The cover image of this article looks like straight 640x480. How embarrassing honestly.

That whole article looks like hot garbage apparently above 1080p. Its 2018 people!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

quote:

Google Lens... mistakenly identified my Pixel 2 as a Samsung Galaxy. For shame, Google!

Oops

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Verge is middle ground on scratchgate.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/15/17973484/google-pixel-3-xl-review-camera-features-screen-battery-price-photos

Marks they tried to make wiped off but cohabitation in pockets with keys eventually let to some permanent scuffs.

So, there you have it. An all glass phone can't survive skinny jeans with keys unprotected without getting some marks. Cancel the whole release.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The Verge is middle ground on scratchgate.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/15/17973484/google-pixel-3-xl-review-camera-features-screen-battery-price-photos

Marks they tried to make wiped off but cohabitation in pockets with keys eventually let to some permanent scuffs.

So, there you have it. An all glass phone can't survive skinny jeans with keys unprotected without getting some marks. Cancel the whole release.

Can't you just put some grip tape over the glass back and fix that right up?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

DaveKap posted:

After Android 9 came out, two things changed with my Pixel 1 phone that are bothering me enough that I tried, and failed, to Google them. So now I'm here.
1: When I get a call, the screen doesn't turn on automatically so I can answer. However, the screen WILL turn on and display SMS just fine.
2: I can no longer answer the call from the lock screen. I have to unlock the phone, pull down the "you're getting a call" notification, and answer from there.

How do I get these two things back? Google's best guesses related to bluetooth devices (I don't have) and uninstalling the caller app (didn't change a thing) so... maybe you all just have a better phone app to use?

I've had none of these issues on my Pixel 1 XL. I'm using the stock dialer app (which I believe is just called "Phone" with Google as the publisher in the Play store). Same for my wife.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, other than making sure you're using the stock dialer.

As others have noted, Pixels don't have SD card capabilities. I apologize for what is probably a very stupid question, but just in case: you're sure you're using a Pixel and not a different make of phone?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Thats rough, I agree with Ron, I want a halo product too. I want the Ultra with 512gig of storage and 8 gigs of ram and a 4500maH battery and 4 cameras or whatever the wet dream of a phone is.

However they didn't make that. I'm sorry Fortnite needs more RAM. It shouldn't. Its a loving game on a phone. Either the OS or the game needs to try a smidge harder to work within the box.

Nobody else seems to be able to recreate the scratch thing, so I don't know why he is still beating that horse.

At least he didn't throw a fit about Face unlock. A bunch of reviews are mentioning that it doesn't have that feature like Apple but I just don't get why anyone wants that. It feels like marketing nonsense to get past the lack of a much more secure fingerprint sensor.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FunOne posted:

Thats rough, I agree with Ron, I want a halo product too. I want the Ultra with 512gig of storage and 8 gigs of ram and a 4500maH battery and 4 cameras or whatever the wet dream of a phone is.

Google didn't make a halo product but they're sure as poo poo charging for one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I mean, I can kinda see the "what if" angle he's coming from, but it still comes off as an uneven review

Performance is great, battery life is competitive, but who knows how good it would be if [phonespec] is bumped.

Also, I'm irrationally angry about the finish of the metal part of the phone.

My favorite is that the speakers are fantastic and totally justify the design compromises necessary to get them but I don't want them so I'm going to say the phone doesn't have a 2018 design. Meanwhile, he goes on in the other direction about the lack of headphone jack. The fact that he doesn't see the hypocrisy in that statement is telling. I think 2018 broke Ron.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm getting a little tired of Ron's constant complaining, he wants a perfect phone that doesn't exist and he wants it all for cheap.

AP: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/15/pixel-3-3-xl-review-come-camera-stay-everything-else/

e: I like how Ron bitches about the hardware being "greasy" yet AP explicitly says: "The build quality of these devices seems excellent with glass bodies that don't immediately become a greasy mess."

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FunOne posted:

. Either the OS or the game needs to try a smidge harder to work within the box.

Yeah code stop being so lazy.