Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
... I already use rekordbuddy, it's great for syncing between traktor and rekordbox. I'm looking for the proper procedure to host rb/traktor collections on an external drive such that their consistency is maintained across several computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Oh, I guess I don't understand Rekord Buddy then. I know it can handle external collections but I get what you mean about the databases now. It's been a while since I've used Traktor.

I think in your situation maybe forego the database entirely and just use folders on your external. I know there's a lot of Traktor users in this thread but this is one area that Serato has done a great job with. Serato crates are stored wherever the music is stored and move with them. Same thing with the beatgrids and cue points.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Spambort posted:

what tools do you guys use for tagging/sorting music? itunes has a really annoying feature where it starts to sync files to the cloud, locally deletes my file and then never upload the track leaving me with dozens of greyed out tracks.

You can turn that feature off. There's a setting in Advanced Preferences that stops that.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Never posted here before, but I'm about to splurge some money and would love some input.

TLDR: How's the XDJ-RX vs the RX2 (or the RR)?

Used to do a radio show and club nights years back using serato with control vinyl. Sold off my equipment because I didn't use it much anymore. Picked up a traktor kontroller (s2 mk2) some years later to still be able to do some mixing from time to time. Never liked traktor or that controller though. Have put together/arranged my mixes offline in ableton the last couple of years.

Anyways, got invited to do a gig for old time's sake last weekend and it went pretty well. Did an italo set + some b2b southern rap/juke mayhem at the end hehe. Had to use cdjs and was a bit confused as I've never really used them before. My mixing is a bit rusty, but it's still fun as hell and I want to get back into it. It seems standard club equipment has been cdj2000s for ages now and its going to stay like that for a while more.

So, I'm thinking of changing some equipment, ditch the traktor kontrol and get a standalone XDJ deck to get a bit more accustumed to the current equipment infrastructure. I've had a look at the options and it seems it's between the XDJ-RR, XDJ-RX or XDJ-RX2.

The RR is a tad cheaper, but still not cheap. I think I'll skip that. Second hand XDJ-RXs seems to go for 1000-1200€ over here, haven't seen any XDJ-RX2s for sale lately and they seem to go for around 1500-1600€ new (and then I also get years of warranty). I can't decide what's he better deal... Anyone here got any experience with either pieces of equipment, or reckon they're poo poo and I should go for a different ecosystem than pioneer? I just want to get back in to and be able to play whenever/wherever if I bring a usb stick

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've had my RX for almost two years and I love it yo death, it's a workhorse and makes going to cdjs a breeze, plus no laptop makes it easy to play on at home or out and about.

The RR is the rx but with less features, and a used rx is much cheaper. The RX2 has one big thing going for it in that it is touch screen which makes searching for tracks a lot easier, but otherwise its identical except for 8 pads and honestly you're fine with 4 on the original RX.

My recommendation is always a used RX, if you ever want to upgrade or get more serious you can hop to XDJ 1000s.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Fenarisk posted:

I've had my RX for almost two years and I love it yo death, it's a workhorse and makes going to cdjs a breeze, plus no laptop makes it easy to play on at home or out and about.

The RR is the rx but with less features, and a used rx is much cheaper. The RX2 has one big thing going for it in that it is touch screen which makes searching for tracks a lot easier, but otherwise its identical except for 8 pads and honestly you're fine with 4 on the original RX.

My recommendation is always a used RX, if you ever want to upgrade or get more serious you can hop to XDJ 1000s.

Yeah, skipping the whole laptop is what makes this seem so appealing to me!

So there's basically little difference featurewise between the two apart from the touch screen? I guess that's a nice feature, but is it worth 4k eurobux... How does it work with rekordbox dj licenses when you resell equipment, is it possible to deregister the license or something?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm assuming it's the same as Serato, it's linked to an email/password and you can transfer it to 1 PC at a time. If you register it to a new one it just stops you using all the features (live performance mode and any add ons) on the previous PC.

I'm wondering if you need to register RB to just use it to transfer files to USB these days, I don't recall doing it in the past.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm assuming it's the same as Serato, it's linked to an email/password and you can transfer it to 1 PC at a time. If you register it to a new one it just stops you using all the features (live performance mode and any add ons) on the previous PC.

I'm wondering if you need to register RB to just use it to transfer files to USB these days, I don't recall doing it in the past.

You don’t need rekordbox at all to play on cdj2ks with usb sticks iirc. I guess you do if you want to prepare cue points and whatever first though. Mailing with some second hand sellers atm, hopefully we’ll figure it out. Cool to get the license as well when you’re spending a lot of cash. With that said, I can do fine without the rekordbox Dj software I’d prefer to play without a laptop home too.

There’s a close to new rx2 going for 1300 that still has a year plus of warranty left. Trying to snatch that one. If not there’s a rx going for 1000 that seems to be in pristine condition

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Anyone here DJ on turntables with either control vinyl or actual vinyl records? Was hoping to pick someone's brain about a few things.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Anyone here DJ on turntables with either control vinyl or actual vinyl records? Was hoping to pick someone's brain about a few things.

hello

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

MrSargent posted:

Yes

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Sup

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Oh drat, I didn't realize there were a few spinning vinyl. Ok here are my questions:

I am currently using an Ortofon Serato S-120 "DJ Cartridge and Stylus" and the stock headshell / counterweight from my AT-LP120. Its definitely more stable than the previous cartridge/stylus, but I feel like it can jump grooves a little too easily when back-cueing. What should I be looking at upgrading first from this setup from a DJ perspective? I have seen a lot of DJ's use the concorde style cartridge/stylus and was wondering if that's the route I should go. Any recommendations for brands/models?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

You should be fine with that cartridge. Sounds like the issue may be where your counter weight is sitting. Try pushing it forward towards the needle/cartridge. Should make your needle less likely to jump grooves.

Also worth noting it could just be how heavy handed you are when you’re moving the record.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

keevo posted:

Also worth noting it could just be how heavy handed you are when you’re moving the record.

This is probably it, haha. I have the counterweight pretty far forward so I probably just need more "touch" when back-cueing. I only have a single turntable at this point, so I have been practicing with my A Deck set to digital and my B Deck routed to my turntable. Trying to at least get a feel for how to handle/control vinyl and it is a lot of fun. Been keeping an eye out on craigslist for a good deal on another LP-120.

As for the countour-style cartridges, I was having a hard time finding information on what benefits it has over a traditional cartridge.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Finally got the hang of this poo poo LOL

e: I used a dj controller for the first time this weekend after a year of only learning on virtual and traktor. I am a new boi now. It was an old af numark mixtrack, probably one of the oldest ones. If i loved just being able to use that, what do you guys recommend is the first thing i should buy for myself? I am budget af.

the only thing ihave is a $60 behringer mixer i got free that i use to connect my laptop to both a set of logitech computer speakers and a polk subwoofer.

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 18, 2018

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

i notice you cant choose quality options when you download after you buy. Do yall think its sketchy? It's gotta give you the highest quality they have it in right?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

MrSargent posted:

Oh drat, I didn't realize there were a few spinning vinyl. Ok here are my questions:

I am currently using an Ortofon Serato S-120 "DJ Cartridge and Stylus" and the stock headshell / counterweight from my AT-LP120. Its definitely more stable than the previous cartridge/stylus, but I feel like it can jump grooves a little too easily when back-cueing. What should I be looking at upgrading first from this setup from a DJ perspective? I have seen a lot of DJ's use the concorde style cartridge/stylus and was wondering if that's the route I should go. Any recommendations for brands/models?

Make sure the surface your turntable is on is stable and not wobbly, and the centre hole of your control record is snug on the spindle (but not too tight)

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
The other thing it could be if it's only happening on back cueing is your antiskate being set to a playback level instead of 0

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody have a hookup for WHLB styli?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Got an ok deal on a used xdj-rx! Hopefully I haven't been scammed and I'll have it by the end of the week :S

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Got an ok deal on a used xdj-rx! Hopefully I haven't been scammed and I'll have it by the end of the week :S

Make sure it's running the latest firmware, Pioneer released it and it suffered a dozen or so weird intermittent issues that took them months to fix and release an update for. The buyers were not best pleased.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I think I've sorted out this 'multiple computers' thing, but I'm hitting a roadblock: Traktor is crashing on exporting my collection. It seems to be doing it around the same place every time, about 6,500 songs into the process. Consistency check reports all files are where they should be and analyzed. Unsure if it's the external drive, I'm trying the process again but onto one of my internal volumes. Any ideas?

EDIT: Still crashing on exporting to an internal volume, so I don't think it's an issue with any of my drives. 6,588 tracks make it over, to be exact. I checked #6589 in Traktor and it plays fine, but I've gotten rid of it just in case. I've got to get this collection onto an external drive somehow, or this whole thing will be for naught.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 24, 2018

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Break it down to batches of 3k~4k tracks?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah sounds like Traktor can't deal with the amount of tracks you're trying to push at one time.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Omg, got the XDJ-RX in the mail today and I have not been scammed it seems (actually it looks better than in the sellers photos)! Only had the time to power it up quickly and test it for 5 mins now, but it looks like a great piece of kit tbh. Solidly built, jogs are great, screen is bright and clear etc etc. Only thing I noticed is that it sounded a bit weird/thin/"digital" when I did some rewinds. Going to play with it nonstop during the weekend and figure this thing out.

Thanks for the tip regarding firmware, will check it out after work!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Alfajor posted:

Break it down to batches of 3k~4k tracks?

Tried this, doesn't work even in batches as small as <1k tracks. That definitely used to work, then again I exported my library successfully just over a week ago.

NI Support suggested using an app called MP3 Scan+Repair. It found several thousand tracks in my library with errors and corrected them, but the export still crashes in almost exactly the same spot. I'm running the app again, and strangely it's still finding files with errors even though it 'fixed' them beforehand.

Additionally, Finder behaves strangely after an attempted export and crash. I select the ~6k files that successfully copied, and send them to the trash, and it hangs up a bit - sometimes requires relaunching Finder, sometimes just takes an inordinate amount of time to trash the files.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Maybe try doing a consistency check on your HDD itself using Disk Utility? Maybe there are errors in the filesystem itself.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Did that on all my drives and volumes and they came up fine, but the export problem keeps occurring.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Vinyl heads, this is loving awesome... Jazzy Jeff goes to play with a new bit of Rane kit that's quite special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_ATzpPzKM

*edit: I am slightly puzzled by him saying that asking the techs to turn down his Texas headphones (stage monitors) means he doesn't sound as good as everyone else. Those are usually two very different systems and EQ'd differently on stage and into the audience, what he's hearing will likely sound a bit less solid particularly if he's wanting the subs turned down but the audience will be getting the signal full fat.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 29, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Phase isn't from Rane, it's a startup and I think they launched it via crowdfunding. The plan is that it works with every DVS software but they've been demoing it with Serato because thet's where the bulk of scratch DJs are.

Jeff is maybe the cleanest sounding hip hop DJ I've ever seen, like his whole set was just technically perfect down to EQs and everything.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Vinyl heads, this is loving awesome... Jazzy Jeff goes to play with a new bit of Rane kit that's quite special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_ATzpPzKM

*edit: I am slightly puzzled by him saying that asking the techs to turn down his Texas headphones (stage monitors) means he doesn't sound as good as everyone else. Those are usually two very different systems and EQ'd differently on stage and into the audience, what he's hearing will likely sound a bit less solid particularly if he's wanting the subs turned down but the audience will be getting the signal full fat.

This is really cool. I don't think Jeff was referencing JUST turning down his stage monitors when he said he doesn't sound as good as everyone else. He also mentioned turning down the subs on stage and doing some other modifications with EQ to make the stage more stable. I can imagine that this drops the overall levels of his performance compared to the previous guy on CDJ's.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Yeah it sounded like he was saying he has to turn stuff down so the stage doesn't vibrate and gently caress with his turntables.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

qirex posted:

The Phase isn't from Rane, it's a startup and I think they launched it via crowdfunding.

Jeff is maybe the cleanest sounding hip hop DJ I've ever seen, like his whole set was just technically perfect down to EQs and everything.

Aye it's a company called MWM Music World Media. https://www.phase-project.com/ 300 Euros which isn't bad at all considering a DVS set up is similar cash but with the added fun of needles and skipping. You could buy up broken decks all day as long as they spin.

MrSargent posted:

This is really cool. I don't think Jeff was referencing JUST turning down his stage monitors when he said he doesn't sound as good as everyone else. He also mentioned turning down the subs on stage and doing some other modifications with EQ to make the stage more stable. I can imagine that this drops the overall levels of his performance compared to the previous guy on CDJ's.

And gotcha both on the reasoning behind his annoyance at having to turn down.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Further exacerbating this issue I'm having trying to export my library from Traktor into a single, non-hierarchical folder... Traktor on OSX won't actually copy a file if you drag it into a Finder window - it simply creates an alias. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

I just want to get my music into a goddamn folder on an external drive so I can move it around between computers as my Rekordbox database. Why is this such a pain in the rear end? :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Went grocery shopping the other day and decided to check out the music section for some car CDs and found some poo poo. I was thinking I needed to round out my classic disco hits and found a set of 100 tracks for £5. Same with some 70s hits and classic dance. So for £15 I'm 300 tracks up, even if I never play half of them I'm still ahead.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Mister Speaker posted:

OSX won't actually copy a file if you drag it into a Finder window - it simply creates an alias. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

embrace the terminal. it'll end up saving you a poo poo load of dragging in the end anyway.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You missed the first part of the sentence where I said "Traktor on OSX..." - it's not a Finder or OSX issue, it's a Traktor issue. All other software that handles my music is able to drag files out into Finder windows no problem. Traktor will not (although it used to do it just fine), instead it copies aliases. Exporting the collection (or exporting a playlist with the entire collection in it, as I just tried), crashes the software. If there is actually a way to use Terminal to coax these files out of Traktor, I'd love to hear it.

I'm still going back and forth with NI support via email. Near as they can tell, there's some sort of forbidden metadata, possibly forbidden characters, somewhere in my files that's causing the software to crash on export. I cleared all the useless information I could find (like stupid stuff in the Comments fields) but it's still doing it.

And it seems to me that the manual drag-n-drop yielding only file aliases is a separate issue entirely.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I know this is real late but bpm supreme is only 4.99 for the first month as a black friday sale, finally pulled the trigger and will be spending all weekend redoing my library in proper 320k :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Fenarisk posted:

I know this is real late but bpm supreme is only 4.99 for the first month as a black friday sale, finally pulled the trigger and will be spending all weekend redoing my library in proper 320k :unsmith:

Howwww?

I signed up for that poo poo and literally tried to cancel within minutes because their catalog was barren. Maybe they were having tech issues at the time I don't know.

What I do know (and I just checked my email to confirm) is that they refused to refund me and I ended up having to do a chargeback. They were rude as gently caress to me about it too.