Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone knows that "Empleh" is "Dracula" spelled backwards. :colbert:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I wonder if we get another death or non-choice if we can't figure it out.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You know what the letters spell! It's so simple that you laugh at yourself not getting it sooner.

EMPLEH. Whoever wrote the message on the inside of the window didn't realize it would be read backward on the outside. EMPLEH is HELP ME, written backwards. You say it out loud.

"What did you say, dear?" Grandma asks. "Do you need help with something?"

You are about to tell her about the message when something you see inside the train stops you. You stare past the letters on the window and into the compartment.

Your eyes widen. You blink several times. You take a step closer to the window. Your nose presses up against the glass.

You don't believe what you're seeing!

quote:

You gaze at the startling scene through the window. Inside the train compartment a woman struggles fiercely with two men. The men wear tan overcoats and large, dark sunglasses.

But it's the woman who holds your attention.

A white-haired woman wearing yellow stretch pants and a purple shirt.

She's a dead ringer for your grandma!

The two thug-like men yank her under each arm and lift her out of the seat. Her terrified eyes lock on to yours as she is dragged roughly into the aisle. The men pull her toward the door at the far end of the car.

quote:

"Is something wrong?" a voice asks behind you.

You turn and face your grandmother standing on the platform. She and the woman on the train could be twins! What's going on?

Is this woman really your grandmother? Or is your real grandmother in terrible trouble on the train?

"Shouldn't we be getting a taxi, Cookie?"

You stare at her. Could you have made a mistake?

"All aboard," the conductor shouts. The train lets out an exhausted wheeze, then slowly pulls forward.

You could jump on the train now and find out if the woman in danger is your real grandma. Or you could assume the woman standing in front of you is the right woman. After all, she recognized you - and you didn't get a good look at the woman on the train.

It's now or never. What are you going to do?

If you leap aboard before the train pulls out, turn to PAGE 110.

If you believe you found the right Grandma, go to PAGE 26.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Ran face-first into the back of a garbage truck.

Achievements
False Start: Got a bad ending on our first choice of the book.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson / this grandma's for real.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Our grandmother is probably not a three-eyed monster in disguise.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Jump on that train.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

We've probably already found the right Grandma.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jump on the train!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
We have the right grandma

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“It’s so nice to see my Cookie!” Your grandmother gazes down at you. Her eyes sparkle. Two dimples crinkle her cheeks as she smiles.

You grin up at her. You must have imagined seeing that other woman. How could you have two grandmas? It’s a dumb idea.

quote:

“Let me help you with those.” You reach for one of Grandma’s two large suitcases.

Grandma shakes her head. “No, no. I’m perfectly balanced. If you take one I’ll probably topple over.” She giggles. “Now that would be a sight!”

You lead her out of the railroad station and to a taxi. Grandma shoves her suitcases into the trunk and then climbs into the cab beside you.

“Give the driver your address,” she instructs, “and then tell me all about yourself.”

You do as she says. But as you launch into a long story about your brilliant performance at school yesterday, she interrupts you.

“Tell me about the rose garden!” Grandma demands.

quote:

You sigh. “The roses are great,” you answer politely. “Mom says they’re unusually large this year.”

Grandma leans back in the car seat. “That is excellent.”

“Why do you want to know about our garden?” you ask.

She pats your hand. “I lived in the house before your mother and father did. And I planted the eggs in the garden.”

“Eggs?” you repeat. “How could you plant eggs?”

Grandma looks startled. “I meant seeds. I planted the seeds for the rose bushes.”

“Those roses have been there as long as I can remember,” you remark. “You must have planted them a long time ago.”

“Fifteen years ago,” Grandma tells you. “They’re the only roses planted by the light of shooting stars.” She chuckles. “Meteors, really. So many meteors fell, night turned into day.”

The taxi pulls into your driveway.

“I must see the roses right away!” Grandma leaps out of the cab and disappears around the back of the house.

You stare after her. What she always this weird?

The driver pops open the trunk to get Grandma’s bags. He reaches in and tugs. And yanks. And grunts. And pulls.

quote:

“What’s the problem?” you ask the struggling cab driver. “Skipped breakfast this morning?”

The cab driver glares at you. Sweat trickles down his forehead. “You try to lift those bags,” he grunts.

You reach in and grab the handle of the top suitcase.

Whoa! That bag is heavy! You grit your teeth and yank hard. Every muscle strains as you lift the bag out of the trunk.

“I don’t get it,” you murmur. “Grandma carried both of those bags without any trouble.”

“Then Grandma must be a weight lifter,” the cab driver snaps.

Together, you half-drag, half-carry the luggage to the front door. You drop yours with a loud thud. “That must weigh two hundred pounds,” you gasp.

The cab driver glances around. “Let’s open them,” he whispers. “I want to know what Grandma has that weighs so much!”

Hmm. You know it would be snooping. But you’re dying of curiosity.

What are you going to do?

Open the suitcases on PAGE 85.

Tell the cab driver "No way" on PAGE 7.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Open up, suitcases!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Let's peek and possibly die horribly from what's inside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's snoop.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Invade her privacy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Don't most people have two grandmas?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Invade her privacy.

And also

Epicurius posted:

Don't most people have two grandmas?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You have to find out what makes the suitcases weigh so much.

Then you have to find out how Grandma carried them so easily!

“Okay,” you whisper to the cab driver. “But hurry!”

You glance around. No Grandma. Great! You figure she’s still checking out her precious rose bushes.

The cab driver fiddles with the lock on the luggage. “Hmm,” he murmurs. “I’ve never seen a lock like this before.”

You bend down beside him. You examine the small lock on the suitcase. It glows blue and feels warm in your hand. It’s not a combination lock, and it doesn’t seem to have a slot for a key. “It is weird,” you agree.

“Now I really want to get these bags open!” The cab driver laughs. “I can’t resist a challenge!”

You peer closely at the lock. You notice a small rose etched into the metal.

“I wonder if...”

You press hard on the rose.

The lock snaps open!

quote:

The moment the lock pops open, the suitcase begins to vibrate.

You stumble backward, banging into the startled cab driver. He trips and the two of you tumble off the front step. You land hard on the lawn.

The suitcase spins around and around. As it bounces wildly, the sides slowly open. Purple mist escapes from the bag with a hissing sound.

“Wh-wh-what’s going on?” the cab driver stammers.

But you can’t answer him. You are too stunned by what you are seeing. With a WHOOSH! a giant rose bush bursts from Grandma’s suitcase!

You scramble to your feet. The terrified cab driver is still sprawled on the ground directly below the huge rose bush. Grandma races around the corner of the house.

“Oh!” she calls. “I see you’ve found my prize plant.”

You stare up at the dozens of giant flowers towering over you. Each bud is twice the size of your head. “But what –? How –?”

Grandma smiles. A strange, evil smile.

“How did it get so big?” she finishes for you. “My rose has a very special diet. And I think it’s time for lunch!”

quote:

“Yes,” Grandma croons. “I think my baby is hungry.”

You gaze up at the huge rose bush. Could it be? Is it... moving?

Your heart pounds triple time. One of the enormous roses bends down toward the cab driver. In a flash, it gobbles him up. You shut your eyes. But you can still hear the cab driver’s muffled screams.

Then – silence.

Trembling, you open your eyes.

Oh, no! The gigantic flower is inches from your head!

“Good, baby,” Grandma coos. “You ate every bite of dinner. So now you get to have a nice treat for dessert!”

Eek!

You have a terrible feeling you know what dessert is going to be!

Well, what did you expect with a nickname like Cookie?

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Eaten by a giant carnivorous rose.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ask for help decoding the message.
  • Jump onto the train before it pulls out.
  • Don't open the suitcases.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let’s respect her privacy this time.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Get on that train!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

quote:

Your heart pounds triple time. One of the enormous roses bends down toward the cab driver. In a flash, it gobbles him up. You shut your eyes. But you can still hear the cab driver’s muffled screams.

Then – silence.

:stonk:

Do not open the bag.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Let’s respect her privacy this time.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Forget it,” you scold the cab driver. “That’s snooping.”

The front door pops open.

“What’s taking you so long?” Grandma demands. She strides to the cab, grasps the suitcase handles, and lifts both bags.

“I need to start working out,” the cab driver mutters.

“Come on, Cookie!” Grandma beams at you. “Show me my room.”

“It’s at the top of the stairs,” you tell her.

You follow her into the house.

“Perfect,” she croons, entering the guest room. “Right over the rose garden. I’ll watch my babies growing out of the ground.”

Did you hear right? “Your babies?” you repeat.

Grandma spins around and stares at you. Then she smiles. “I think of the rose bushes as my babies,” she explains.

Grandma isn’t just unusual, you think. She’s plain weird!

You peer down. You’ve never paid much attention to the garden before. It takes up most of the backyard. Dozens of flowers sprout from each bush. Okay, so this year they’re wacky colors. And they are much larger than usual.

But basically, what’s the big deal?

Grandma suddenly stiffens beside you!

quote:

“There are two strangers at the back door,” Grandma says. “Get rid of them. We don’t need nosy neighbors poking around.”

You glance out the window and smile.

“Those are just my friends, Sophie and Andrew,” you assure her. “Hey, guys!” you call.

Sophie and Andrew look up. Sophie is the toughest kid you know. She’s not afraid of anything. Bugs, snakes, rats – nothing scares her. You never, ever, dare her to do anything – because she’ll do it and then double-dare you!

Andrew’s stringy brown hair sticks out in weird clumps. Whenever Andrew thinks hard about something, he rubs his head. So his hair is always a mess, because he never stops thinking.

“Friends of yours?” Grandma murmurs. “I must meet them.”

“Okay.” You lean back out the window. “Yo! Guys!” you yell. You’re about to tell them to come upstairs when Grandma grasps your arm.

“Not now!” she orders. “I need to freshen up after my travels. Unpack. Maybe take a nap.”

You rub your arm where she grabbed you. She’s one tough grandma!

quote:

“Run along now,” Grandma tells you.

You bound out of her room, downstairs, and out the back door. You hate to admit it, but your own grandmother gives you the creeps. You can’t shake the feeling that something is very wrong.

Sophie and Andrew are sprawled on your back porch.

“Hey, guys,” you greet them. “What’s up?”

“We’re hungry!” Sophie announces. “We need brownies.”

Andrew nods. “Or we’ll collapse before the big event.”

“What big event?” you ask, leading them into the kitchen. You set a plate of Mom’s fresh brownies on the table.

Sophie and Andrew are too busy munching to answer. Finally, Sophie swallows. “Milk,” she croaks. “Give me milk!”

You grab the milk carton. You hold it over Sophie’s head. “Tell me what the big event is,” you insist. “Or I’ll give you a milk shampoo!”

Andrew snorts. “How about a milky way shampoo?” He holds up a newspaper. “Check this out.”

You grab the newspaper and scan the article. “Meteor shower tonight,” you read aloud. “Cool!”

You peer at the tiny map. Then your eyes widen. “Hey! That’s my house!” you sputter. “Fifteen years ago, a meteor crashed here. Right in our rose garden!”

quote:

Grandma said she planted the roses during a meteor shower. But she never mentioned that a meteor landed in the garden!

Didn’t she notice?

“Let’s look for pieces of the meteor,” Sophie suggests.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to recognize meteor fragments,” you caution her. “They’ll just look like regular rocks.”

“We should search anyway,” Sophie insists.

You know better than to argue with Sophie.

You, Andrew, and Sophie head out the back door.

You’re surprised to see Grandma kneeling in the rose garden. She’s changed out of her purple-and-yellow outfit into an even stranger one – a shiny silver jumpsuit.

“I thought she was taking a nap,” you murmur.

“Is that your grandmother?” Andrew asks.

“I think so...,” you answer uncertainly.

Sophie laughs. “What do you mean? Don’t you know your own grandmother?”

Right now, you’re not so sure...

quote:

You stare at the woman in the rose garden. The woman who claims to be your grandmother. You think back to the train station. Your mother’s strange phone call.

Could the Grandma in the garden be an imposter?

“She looks cool!” Sophie interrupts your thoughts. “Introduce us.”

Maybe you should tell Sophie and Andrew your suspicions. They can help you keep an eye on her. Try to figure out if she’s who she says she is.

Or maybe you’re just being silly! After all, why would anyone impersonate your grandmother?

And she did say she wanted to meet your friends.

If you introduce Andrew and Sophie to Grandma, turn to PAGE 84.

If you spy on her first, turn to PAGE 78.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Eaten by a giant carnivorous rose.

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Spy on her.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Spy Kids time!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Invading Grandma's privacy can't possibly go wrong again.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Introduce our friends!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AweStriker posted:

Spy on her.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Grandma makes you nervous. You want to find out more about her.

“I’ll introduce you later,” you tell Sophie and Andrew. “Right now, there’s something you need to help me with.”

You lead them back into the house. Sitting at the kitchen table, you quickly describe all the strange things you’ve noticed about Grandma since she’s been here.

Sophie snorts. “So your grandmother is stronger than you. What’s the big deal?”

“And my mom is always mixing up words,” Andrew adds. “Half the time she calls me by my sister’s name. So what if your grandma said eggs instead of seeds?

You sigh. They don’t believe you.

quote:

“It’s more than Grandma’s weird behavior,” you explain. “It’s a feeling I have.”

Andrew and Sophie laughs. “Oh, excuse me,” Sophie teases. “I didn’t realize you had a feeling!

“We all know how reliable those feelings are!” Andrew adds.

“Guys!” You run your hands through your hair. “I’m serious.”

“Don’t freak,” Sophie consoles you with a laugh. “We think you’re nuts, but we’ll still help you.”

“Yeah!” Andrew nods. “Spying will be fun! What’s the plan?”

Plan? You haven’t thought of one yet. You gaze out the kitchen window at Grandma in the garden.

“Maybe we should watch Grandma and try to figure out what she’s doing in the rose garden,” you suggest.

“Okay.” Andrew and Sophie head for the door.

Then you have another idea. “Or maybe we should search her room.”

Andrew and Sophie gaze at you. “She’s your grandmother,” Andrew says. “Make up your mind.”

You heard Andrew. Choose!

Spy on Grandma in the garden on PAGE 79.

Search her room on PAGE 53.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Search her room.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Watch the flowers grow.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Watch the garden.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Search her room.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Spy on grandma

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Let’s find out what Grandma’s doing in the garden,” you say.

“Won’t she notice us?” Andrew asks.

You gaze out the kitchen window. “The tree house!” you exclaim. “We can spy on her from there.”

Sophie slaps you a high five. “Great plan!”

You, Sophie, and Andrew dart out the door. You scurry up the tree trunk. At the top you pull yourself onto the platform. Andrew and Sophie flop down beside you on the weathered planks.

You peer down at Grandma she moves slowly through the rows of roses, stopping at each one.

Sophie fakes a yawn. “Wake me when something exciting happens.”

Grandma kneels beside a rose bush and gently brushes soil away from the roots. Then, very carefully, she brings something up from under the ground.

A huge purple egg!

You gasp. Grandma did plant eggs in the rose garden!

The large purple egg in her hand pulses as if it were breathing. As if it were getting ready to burst from the shell!

quote:

“Look at this!” you whisper.

Sophie and Andrew pop their heads up over the side of the treehouse.

Grandma holds up another throbbing purple egg. She puts her free hand in her mouth. When she pulls it back out her index finger has turned lime green! A metal tip as sharp as a pin extends where her nail should be.

That’s not a human finger, you realize.

Grandma sticks the metal tip into the pulsing egg. It throbs faster. Then it glows, as if it were lit up from inside.

Satisfied, Grandma lays the egg back down on the ground. Then she moves onto the next rose bush. Soon she makes her way through the entire garden and heads back to the house.

Andrew and Sophie stare at you.

“I hate to have to say this...,” Andrew begins.

“Your grandma is – she’s, I mean, I think –“ Sophie tries.

You nod miserably. “I know,” you say. “My grandma is an alien!”

quote:

You sit in silence, too stunned to think.

“Shouldn’t we do something?” Sophie asks finally.

“Yes!” Andrew chimes in. “Let’s call the police!”

“And tell them what?” you demand. “There’s an alien in my yard digging up purple eggs and poking them with a green fingernail?” You snort. “Would you believe that story?”

“I guess not,” Andrew admits.

“I know what we have to do!” Sophie says. “We have to capture your grandma. Then we’ll torture her until she spills her guts!”

quote:

“Sophie!” You stare at your friend.

She grins. “Just kidding. About the torture part. But I do think we should capture your grandma.”

A horrible thought hits you. “Oh, no!” you gasp. “If the woman in the garden is an alien, then the woman I saw at the train station must be my real grandmother!”

What should you do? Your real grandma is in danger. But you and your friends are in danger too! Maybe the whole world is in danger from the alien. You don’t know why she’s here!

Try to capture the alien Grandma on PAGE 73.

Try to find and rescue your real grandmother on PAGE 51.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Capture the grandma.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Rescue the grandma!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009