Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
lotta deep state shills itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There are checks and balances for dealing with anonymous sources.

These Bloomberg hacks have not done their journalistic duties.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If it actually exists, I have zero doubt we'll see a presentation done at the next DEFCON.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

BobHoward posted:

it's like your purposefully misunderstanding the objections to help feed your paranoia

one of the only known named sources for the story has expressed skepticism about the story precisely because the theoretical gadget he described to bloomberg (which they went on to claim was real) is not a very likely design for a nation state, for engineering and opsec reasons

adding the pencil tip size component requires things like modifying the bom, getting the extra component into the supply chain, modification of pcb artwork, and a fairly high risk of paranoid customers noticing just due to visual / xray inspection (because why would a spi bus need a signal conditioner component (spi over a distance as short as you'd find on a pc motherboard doesn't need signal conditioners fyi))

compare to a slightly different and vastly harder to detect design: create a flash memory ic with extra features. same footprint as the original, same visual appearance, possibly even near identical appearance on xray inspection, does everything the supposed penciltip implant does, and probably more (because you've got more die area to play with)

now you only need to figure out how to get your spy implant component assembled onto the board instead of the standard plain flash memory. in china, that can be as simple as making one of the extremely common deals which factory managers make to sub in cheaper components and pocket the difference in price - no threats required. or, if you want zero awareness by the factory, you can (since "you" is the chinese government) probably just "inspect" component shipments going to the factory and use that as a chance to make substitutions

lol you are naive

look I agree with all that. process improvements will trickle down, so there will be more and more space on chips and nothing to put there. that space is going to get filled with something, even if for a particular chip that something is not (ever?) powered up. no one’s going to reverse-engineer and audit all of that for every chip

but that’s not the narrative used to try to counter the Bloomberg article:

“don’t worry, everything’s fine because what the article said didn’t happen as everyone knows it would be cheaper and easier to use malicious firmware”

what bothers me about this line of reasoning is not just that what it proposes doesn’t work against those who write their own firmware, but that it’s redundant. Bloomberg’s narrative already said “don’t worry, there was this thing but they caught it, so everything’s fine”

if someone wants to believe that everything is fine then he/she can just take the Bloomberg article as describing a novel trick that won’t work now that it was revealed and be on his/her merry way

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Max Facetime posted:

look I agree with all that. process improvements will trickle down, so there will be more and more space on chips and nothing to put there. that space is going to get filled with something, even if for a particular chip that something is not (ever?) powered up. no one’s going to reverse-engineer and audit all of that for every chip

but that’s not the narrative used to try to counter the Bloomberg article:

“don’t worry, everything’s fine because what the article said didn’t happen as everyone knows it would be cheaper and easier to use malicious firmware”

what bothers me about this line of reasoning is not just that what it proposes doesn’t work against those who write their own firmware, but that it’s redundant. Bloomberg’s narrative already said “don’t worry, there was this thing but they caught it, so everything’s fine”

if someone wants to believe that everything is fine then he/she can just take the Bloomberg article as describing a novel trick that won’t work now that it was revealed and be on his/her merry way
no one is saying that everything is fine, but if you can't tell that transparent, overblown bullshit like badbios or the bloomberg pieces are incredibly bad for infosec, i don't know what to tell you

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

okay is there any evidence beyond anonymous sources and paranoid ravings? the line of reasoning can bother you all it wants, it's not changing the end story

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

anthonypants posted:

no one is saying that everything is fine, but if you can't tell that transparent, overblown bullshit like badbios or the bloomberg pieces are incredibly bad for infosec, i don't know what to tell you

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

anthonypants posted:

it’s incredibly bad for infosec only because Bloomberg and badbios reveal, respectively, that the best answer infosec can give you is “someone reasonably paranoid would find the implants”, and what happens when someone reasonably paranoid tries to find implants

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

lotta deep state shills itt

buddy, if the deep state is anything like deep dish pizza, I am ALL IN

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 14, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Max Facetime posted:

it’s incredibly bad for infosec only because Bloomberg and badbios reveal, respectively, that the best answer infosec can give you is “someone reasonably paranoid would find the implants”, and what happens when someone reasonably paranoid tries to find implants
it's bad because
  • it encourages people like dragos, and those people gain a minimally competent following who start seeing everything soldered onto a pcb as dangerous
  • snake oil salesmen get to use bloomberg and other media outlets to hype products which, at best, don't do anything, or at worst, are actively harmful
  • the next big vulnerability or leak that comes out gets downplayed as the rantings of a paranoiac, regardless of whether it is or not

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

okay is there any evidence beyond anonymous sources and paranoid ravings? the line of reasoning can bother you all it wants, it's not changing the end story

weve got plenty of hearsay and conjecture
those are kinds of evidence

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

anthonypants posted:

start seeing everything soldered onto a pcb as dangerous

are they that wrong though

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bring back wire wrap

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
A colleague showed me this today. Apparently huge numbers of database passwords are available in plaintext via google, particularly for users of certain ~PHP FRAMEWORKS~.

https://www.google.com/search?q=production+db_password+filetype%3Aenv+inurl%3Acom

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Stabby McDamage posted:

A colleague showed me this today. Apparently huge numbers of database passwords are available in plaintext via google, particularly for users of certain ~PHP FRAMEWORKS~.

https://www.google.com/search?q=production+db_password+filetype%3Aenv+inurl%3Acom

:lol: good poo poo

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Stabby McDamage posted:

Looks like Django as well. Still don’t see how google is indexing a .env file. Don’t touch the poop.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Still don’t see how google is indexing a .env file.

This was my jam in the 2000's before I actually knew anything about sec. So many loving webservers are misconfigured out of the box. "Can I just download X?" is still my go-to first step auditing a web server, and it's deeply depressing how often that kindergarten-grade "exploit" works.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Stabby McDamage posted:

lol, some funny passwords in there. not touching the pooping, just watching it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fins posted:

lol, some funny passwords in there. not touching the pooping, just watching it.

code:
APP_KEY=SomeRandomStringWith32Characters
:yosnice:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

huh so some people do actually use "secret" as a password.

search engines indexing misconfigured directories has been a thing for a while yet it is still amusing. I bet there is a huge cache of similar in the major archive sites too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

huh so some people do actually use "secret" as a password.

a lot of things use it as the example password to demonstrate how to set your password, and people just enter it as their actual password because they're stupid or they don't care or they think they're being cute

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shame Boy posted:

a lot of things use it as the example password to demonstrate how to set your password, and people just enter it as their actual password because they're stupid or they don't care or they think they're being cute

everyone knows security thru obscurity isn't

but perfect security thru obscurity by being too obvious to ever guess... it's invincible

checkmate hackerailures

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

you know how the fix of this is going to be "add .env to robots.txt" and it'll be glorious

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

anyone know of a guide for turning a cheapo mikrotik into a VPN appliance I could just throw on a home network and forget about? my dad was complaining he can't stream his local sports on his ipad when he travels because of region/provider locking so I was thinking it'd be a nice xmas gift to plug a box in, install a VPN app on his ipad and just walk him through the magic steps so he can stream the cubs game from wherever just like when he's home

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

no but you could get one of these for p cheap and have it as a dedicated vpn appliance. it just runs openvpn

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

no but you could get one of these for p cheap and have it as a dedicated vpn appliance. it just runs openvpn

$170+ for a used one is not "pretty cheap", especially when the mikrotiks sell for like $40 new

idk of any guide but setting it up yourself shouldn't be too hard if you've done anything with mikrotik devices before, it's got support for most common VPN setups and I'm sure there's a guide for "make all the traffic go over the VPN"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

get a sling subscription with the cloud dvr add-on and be done with it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

$170+ for a used one is not "pretty cheap", especially when the mikrotiks sell for like $40 new

idk of any guide but setting it up yourself shouldn't be too hard if you've done anything with mikrotik devices before, it's got support for most common VPN setups and I'm sure there's a guide for "make all the traffic go over the VPN"

youre gonna spend 20+ hours janitoring the mikrotik just to get it set up and then its gonna stop working properly because its both your router and your VPN terminator and the cpu is overloaded because youre streaming video over it at 8-10mbps with 8mb of ram and a lovely mips cpu that cant handle realtime encryption of that much traffic

but sure you'll save like $100

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

youre gonna spend 20+ hours janitoring the mikrotik just to get it set up and then its gonna stop working properly because its both your router and your VPN terminator and the cpu is overloaded because youre streaming video over it at 8-10mbps with 8mb of ram and a lovely mips cpu that cant handle realtime encryption of that much traffic

but sure you'll save like $100

have you used one made in the last like, 10 years...

like for simplicity i agree this is probably the best option, especially since it's not your network but your dad's:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

get a sling subscription with the cloud dvr add-on and be done with it

but if you still want to go the hardware route a modern mikrotik is perfectly adequate for this :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like sophoses for the most part but they also require a subscription for features which is why used ones are cheap. you can run their vm version for personal use for free if you want to tho.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

huh, I didn't know Sling was doing that sort of thing nowdays. interesting but I don't want to pay for it and I bet he'll balk at paying for that on top of cable (old man yells at cloud has nothing on him complaining about the cable bill)

guess I'll get a cheap mikrotik off amazon and see if I can make it dance. I'm not too worried about speed because I'm not planning on making it the gateway router since they have a comcast modem/router for that and I don't want to janitor their network remotely. hell I'm not super worried about security either since it's just a way around dumbass region locks - I'm just asking here because it seems like the kinda thing regular posters here would have done already

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
don't go too cheap on it. i use an old rear end rb333 for a 5.8ghz access point, but it used to be my router, and it falls the gently caress over just passing like 70 mbit of traffic. VPN has tons of crypto so it needs even more beef - make sure to buy enough machine that it can handle all that for whatever video streams or online poker or whatever you're trying to cheese

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
these days stream piracy is incredibly easy so most people I think just use those sites for blackout games

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if microtik publishes what processor they use, look for something supporting aes-ni or whatever arm calls their aes optimization instructions

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
how does google even find a .env

doesnt it need to be linked to it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its linked in the directory listing

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Looks like Django as well. Still don’t see how google is indexing a .env file. Don’t touch the poop.

im sure this is easy to do in php since the default/simplest option is "paths in urls for your site directly map to a directory on disk containing .php files", but you have to try pretty hard to gently caress up this bad in django

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if microtik publishes what processor they use, look for something supporting aes-ni or whatever arm calls their aes optimization instructions
more importantly, if a router/firewall advertises itself as a vpn endpoint, but its marketing documentation doesn't mention aes-ni, go somewhere else

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i understand the appeal of buying a box but i would recommend just paying $5/month for a cloud vps like from digital ocean or wherever, setting up algo, generating keys for everyone and sending the .mobileconfig profiles to any ios devices

works great for services out of the country, though it would not be hard for things to start noticing "this ip is in the digital ocean/aws/azure/whatever" block, not a residential connection, so it could easily stop working at any time

my mom got a ton of use out of it for history channel and pandora on her ipad when on vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

a droplet that I'm going to guess is just resold time from us-bfe-1 or whatever underutilized AZ isn't going to help get on the Illinois local fox sports site

• Locked thread