Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

There's a not unpredictable puratinism about it - if you represent something, you must in some sense feel that it is good.

See also: 90% of reactions to Sucker Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ppl like this always give themselves away when they just randomly throw in a thesis title in their statement like that's how people talk
He has a PhD in literature or something like that. When talking to him he starts off a lot of sentences with “Well, as someone who has a PhD...”

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

He has a PhD in literature or something like that. When talking to him he starts off a lot of sentences with “Well, as someone who has a PhD...”

A pretty huge dick?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That describes his personality very nicely.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Apollo posted:

Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner,

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll never fault someone for having an expanded vernacular. It's only lovely when they use it as a cudgel against something rather than use it to better criticize it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

Correction. He also did Basic Instinct during that stretch. So it's a Quintet. Robocop -> Total Recall -> Basic Instinct -> Showgirls -> Starship Troopers.

I've also heard good things about Elle.

Elle is loving great, went to see it in the cinemas with my girlfriend (who thinks Paul Verhoeven is a genius), and its probably her favorite movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's concluded. Paul Verhoeven is a genius. It is a scientific law.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Only an idiot would question how great Paul Verhoeven is.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's not the collateral damage. Clark's guilt is intervening in Africa because he's motivated specifically to save Lois, without thought to the larger context, and he ends up getting tricked into covering up the US assassination of a rebel leader in a foreign country. That's the distinction with Metropolis, where Superman was legitimately doing the best he could for everyone involved. This is why Lois has the line in the bathtub about how she's not sure that it's possible for him to love her and still be Superman. Because Superman loves everybody.

I would disagree. I think a larger overarching theme of MoS and BvS, is that the use of force (which I kinda view as synonymous with power) always has drawbacks, even when used with noble intent. The idea that there's some mythical "clean" violence (see, Iron Man vs Browns) is just part of the power fantasy that's part and parcel of the Super hero genre, but when Superman gets punched through a building, and when Batman kicks people in the face, there's bound to be casualties. That's also why I kind of think the movie agrees with Lex here, everytime someone uses power, people die.

Let's assume the thing in Africa didn't happen. Would you still say Superman would be innocent?

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

ElNarez posted:

in that same loving thread he calls Whedon, who's never seen a character he couldn't reduce to a rote story archetype, a humanist, in the context of Justice League, and it's maybe the most mad I've been at an opinion in movie discourse

How can anyone call Joss Whedon a humanist? To me it seems quite obvious that there is a strong undercurrent of nihilism running through all his work. To be frank, I'm not certain Whedon believes in much of anything. I haven't gotten any sense of Whedon's convictions or beliefs other than "life is meaningless" from anything he's made. I mean this is a man who seems to begin every creative endeavour by asking himself "which character should I kill?" because that's the only way he knows to convince the audience that his movie or show has some measure of pathos. Now if you asked me what Whedon's fetishes are I could easily tell you, it's femdom, feet and mind-control.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No one ever brings up Zwartboek when talking about Verhoven movies and idk why, it owns.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lmao

Actually Tony Stark: "I am going to recruit a 16 year old into a fight with my super hero buddies whose lives I want to control. I am also going to give a 16 year old a suit with something called loving 'Instant Kill Mode' because I'm sure that won't traumatize him the first time he accidentally activates it and paints a wall with some mugger's insides"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

McCloud posted:

I would disagree. I think a larger overarching theme of MoS and BvS, is that the use of force (which I kinda view as synonymous with power) always has drawbacks, even when used with noble intent. The idea that there's some mythical "clean" violence (see, Iron Man vs Browns) is just part of the power fantasy that's part and parcel of the Super hero genre, but when Superman gets punched through a building, and when Batman kicks people in the face, there's bound to be casualties. That's also why I kind of think the movie agrees with Lex here, everytime someone uses power, people die.

Let's assume the thing in Africa didn't happen. Would you still say Superman would be innocent?

The inevitability of unforeseen consequences is definitely a theme of the movies—see Clark's conversation with Pa Kent on the mountain in BvS—it's just not what Lex is talking about. Lex is concerned with justifying his own cynicism. He's perfectly happy to directly damage people; collateral damage isn't a problem for him.

Lex believes that everyone is in it for themselves. As such, he engineers situations to show that, when the chips are down, Superman is also in it for himself: saving Lois; saving Ma Kent. He's dismissive of altruism as a legitimate motivation. He hasn't gotten to the point that Clark's at, where he's struggling with the practical limits of it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jutsuka posted:

How can anyone call Joss Whedon a humanist? To me it seems quite obvious that there is a strong undercurrent of nihilism running through all his work. To be frank, I'm not certain Whedon believes in much of anything. I haven't gotten any sense of Whedon's convictions or beliefs other than "life is meaningless" from anything he's made. I mean this is a man who seems to begin every creative endeavour by asking himself "which character should I kill?" because that's the only way he knows to convince the audience that his movie or show has some measure of pathos. Now if you asked me what Whedon's fetishes are I could easily tell you, it's femdom, feet and mind-control.

Whedon's a card-carrying humanist, for what that's worth. Gives speeches to the humanist society, lots of talk about explicit "faith" in humanity.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

josh04 posted:

Whedon's a card-carrying humanist, for what that's worth. Gives speeches to the humanist society, lots of talk about explicit "faith" in humanity.

It sure doesn't show in his work. But then talk is cheap and empty rhetoric is certainly the hallmark of the kind of liberalism Whedon epitomizes.

Jutsuka fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 15, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jutsuka posted:

It sure doesn't show in his work. But then talk is cheap and empty rhetoric is certainly the hallmark of the kind of liberalism Whedon epitomizes.

I'm trying to think of a single moment where ordinary people step up and help each other of their own volition in any of his movies and honestly can't think of any. Whereas we saw that in each of the previous two Superman movies.

I'm sure someone will correct me, though, and I'm just not remembering.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm trying to think of a single moment where ordinary people step up and help each other of their own volition in any of his movies and honestly can't think of any. Whereas we saw that in each of the previous two Superman movies.

I'm sure someone will correct me, though, and I'm just not remembering.

The ordinary people turn out to be secret spies usually.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jutsuka posted:

There's a little of that in Serenity, with everyone believing that broadcasting the truth will inspire the masses to change society. But that's all talk, no show.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

You can't stop the signal!

Though it makes sense if nothing actually happens, we have tons of video footage of black folks getting murdered on camera and maybe a handful of convictions. Whedon just being a truth teller.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The closest examples I can think of are stuff like a cop snapping to it and helping out when Cap orders him around and bashes an alien. Whedon has talked about how liberal government is the only thing keeping the poor from becoming all but literally zombies, so it's not super surprising, I guess, that his faith in humanity has more to do with it being possible to lead them in the right direction than any independent possibility of goodness. The can't-stop-the-signal business seems pretty in line with that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

The closest examples I can think of are stuff like a cop snapping to it and helping out when Cap orders him around and bashes an alien. Whedon has talked about how liberal government is the only thing keeping the poor from becoming all but literally zombies, so it's not super surprising, I guess, that his faith in humanity has more to do with it being possible to lead them in the right direction than any independent possibility of goodness. The can't-stop-the-signal business seems pretty in line with that.

Like the saying goes: "Weird thoughts."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Even then that's a joke where the cop is kind of confused as to what to do then Cap shows up and gives a bunch of orders and he's all "who in the heck are you" only for Cap to drop kick an alien and the cop immediately turns around repeats Cap's orders verbatim.

The Avengers in particular has a few scenes like that where the common man is inspired by the Avengers...to really like the Avengers. Like the girl from Growing Pains who gets saved by Cap then appears later to...talk about how she thinks it was cool she was saved by Cap.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

...talk about how she thinks it was cool she was saved by Cap.
This is part of why civil war is so toothless, there's no moments of grief after the battle, just praise for the avengers. Then civil war comes along and we're supposed to condemn them now. I was hoping a plot point was going to be cap pointing out the new shots being manufactured to push the avengers into being tools, but heh no.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bushisms.txt posted:

This is part of why civil war is so toothless, there's no moments of grief after the battle, just praise for the avengers. Then civil war comes along and we're supposed to condemn them now. I was hoping a plot point was going to be cap pointing out the new shots being manufactured to push the avengers into being tools, but heh no.

It's been a minute since I have seen Avengers 1, but weren't there news reports about overcoming the trauma of the attack and whatnot? I vaguely remember 9/11-ish footage of the aftermath, people pinning pictures on walls. Kind of hilarious when we later learn that, like, five people died.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

It's been a minute since I have seen Avengers 1, but weren't there news reports about overcoming the trauma of the attack and whatnot? I vaguely remember 9/11-ish footage of the aftermath, people pinning pictures on walls. Kind of hilarious when we later learn that, like, five people died.

The reporter literally says, despite the devastation from an extraterrestrial attack, the efforts are a cause for celebration. Then a bunch of people saying how glad they are they exist, though one black couple thinks they're not getting the whole story. Then one politician saying they need to atone for the cities destruction, which is immediately followed by that lady thanking cap in a close up. Then the evil world government also questioning the avengers. So the movie pretty much puts the face of evil on those who question them. There's one small shot of a board but it's a pip, and it goes so quick.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

They were pinning pictures of their beloved lost cars to the walls.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At least a Superman is getting to wear the black suit...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That poo poo looks like a cosplay photo.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

That poo poo looks like a cosplay photo.
This was the only bit of Supergirl I've seen with Superman in it and it just annoyed me. This is the kind of nonsense some people wanted MoS to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uarSBaSJ8g&t=37s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lmfao.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roman posted:

This was the only bit of Supergirl I've seen with Superman in it and it just annoyed me. This is the kind of nonsense some people wanted MoS to be:

This is why I always thought that Superman was a boring and lame character until MoS, there's just no stakes, no tension, no...nothing.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Roman posted:

Case in point:

quote:

This superman was much more like his comic book counterpart than the recent movies
He took the poo poo from the boss, he was clumsy as Clark and apparently it was genuine, he respected federal government officers and actually smiled quite a bit

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Lol that reads like a wb plant from ain't it cool

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Almost Blue posted:

Case in point:

"he respected federal government officers" :laffo:

MUH Superman is a bootlicker!*

*this a joke, I don't actually want to see Superman be a dick to every government worker he comes across. Unless they're ICE.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Superman not respecting representatives of the military industrial complex? Not my Superman! :mad:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This is why I always thought that Superman was a boring and lame character until MoS, there's just no stakes, no tension, no...nothing.

I actually really like the Superman Returns version of that Supergirl scene. Though that, being much better made, introduces tension by having the plane keep tearing apart as it fails to handle the forces Superman applies to it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roman posted:

Ahahaha.

Nervous reporter: I pray she's watching this

Jimmy, super somber and serious: She is.

heroic fanfare!

sweet moses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You oughta see that show's Red Tornado. The CW is a guilty pleasure I enjoy like a tray of cheap bon-bons after a long day but sometimes they just... dare you to keep watching.