Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Years after reading/watching The Chronicles of Narnia, I actually tried some Turkish Delight. It was the biggest disappointment of my life.

Turkish delight is great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
About ten years after watching Aladdin, I had some baklava. It was yummy, and I'd wish for a little more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rocky Horror Picture Show viewings are bad and I dread getting dragged to that poo poo every year

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rocky Horror Picture Show viewings are bad and I dread getting dragged to that poo poo every year

I have been a Rocky Horror "cast" member for five years and I can confirm.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's like, a gay thing? Don't really get it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've seen Rocky Horror twice: once with an "experienced" friend, and a second time alone. It was an OK movie, but I guess I didn't "get" it; except for the music, the movie just didn't click with me. I don't see what all the fuss is about, personally.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

It's like, a gay thing? Don't really get it.

You go for the event, really. You can act completely ridiculous, cross dress as hard as you want in a place where nobody will judge you, and everybody will love it if you act like a campy doofus. It's a fun and ridiculous musical movie that's pretty unique.

Or you can just quietly sit and watch all the madness if you like. Nobody cares.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I decided to look it up and it's basically just a Jello jiggler dusted in powdered sugar?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I decided to look it up and it's basically just a Jello jiggler dusted in powdered sugar?

I have no idea what a jello jiggler is, but Turkish delight isn't jiggly. It's soft, but solid. And it's flavoured with rosewater.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

It's ok. A little gross, and the powdered sugar makes a mess. But it's fine. It's perfectly edible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

The old BBC Chronicles of Narnia TV show is better than the more recent big budget movies, and also the original books.

The BBC version of House of Cards was always better than the Netflix one even before the latter got ridiculous.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is a much, much better movie in every conceivable manner (Brian DePalma doing Phantom of the Opera, Faust, and The Picture of Dorian Gray, with badass music by Paul Williams? Yes, please) and I don't know why Rocky Horror Picture Show became the definitive rock opera from the mid-70s. RHPS is incredibly boring, but not terrible with the music.

BEEF!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
RHPS makes me feel feelings that I try to keep hidden from everyone at all times so i like it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Rocky horror is very front loaded, but it falls off a cliff in like 45 minutes. Phantom of the paradise rules and has the most insane ending I've ever seen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

veni veni veni posted:

And people say American food is bad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fajitas are the pinnacle of human cuisine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snow can suck a gently caress. I hate it. People that love snow piss me off.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
THERE ARE TOO MANY DIFFERENT COKE SIZES. Back in the day, there were two sizes of coke; cans and bottles. And it worked great. 12 packs of cans, 6 packs of bottles, gas stations had cold bottles, the better gas stations would have cold bottles and cans. It was a great system! And then they introduced the new smaller bottle? That has like, slightly more than a can? There was no need for that, nobody wanted or needed that. And then they introduced the new smaller cans. Like half a can of coke. Who on earth wants that?
The worst part is, they take always space at the grocery store from the proper sizes. The Target near me sells out of bottles and cans of Diet Coke, but never out of the little bottles or little cans, and their resupply timing is all hosed up because t hey, there's still Diet Coke on the shelves. But it's in these terrible serving sizes! Get rid of the little cans and little bottles, give that space back to real cans and bottles, and you won't sell out because you'll have more, and if you do sell out you'll get a resupply way quicker because you aren't assuming that your customers will be satisfied with the terrible small bottles and cans.
And Now gas stations are carrying bigger cans! Cans that have like, slightly less coke than a bottle? Why?
I know why. You all know why. You all know the force in our society that demands constant unwanted novelty and unnecessary innovation, the force that is never satisfied with things as they are and must be constantly moving, growing, changing, ruining what works for the promise of some tiny temporary sliver of improvement or profit, the reason we used to have two sizes of coke and now have five, it's capitalism, it's motherfukcing capit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

Snow can suck a gently caress. I hate it. People that love snow piss me off.

WRONG

rear end in a top hat

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

THERE ARE TOO MANY DIFFERENT COKE SIZES. Back in the day, there were two sizes of coke; cans and bottles.
How far back are you going with that? Because I don't remember a time when there weren't at least four sizes: 375 ml cans, 330 ml bottle, 1.25 l bottles and 2 l bottles. I assume the sizes are different in America, but they'd have rough equivalents, surely?

Also, a ~170 ml bottle or can sounds great to me, because a whole can is too much. Occasionally I'll buy a Coke and I really enjoy about the first half of it and then I end up finishing the bottle/can and regretting it. Half would be perfect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Regardless of what size they come in you should always make sure you recycle them when you are done.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

How far back are you going with that? Because I don't remember a time when there weren't at least four sizes: 375 ml cans, 330 ml bottle, 1.25 l bottles and 2 l bottles. I assume the sizes are different in America, but they'd have rough equivalents, surely?

Also, a ~170 ml bottle or can sounds great to me, because a whole can is too much. Occasionally I'll buy a Coke and I really enjoy about the first half of it and then I end up finishing the bottle/can and regretting it. Half would be perfect.

Those first three measurements are meaningless to me. But I wasn't counting two liter bottles, only single serving sizes. Nobody is gonna just crack open a two liter bottle of coke and drink from it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those first three measurements are meaningless to me.

You use fluid ounces for drinks, right? Google tells me that's about 13, 11, and 42.

And I've seen more than one person drinking straight from a 2 l bottle, so yeah, that happens.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I once drank an entire 2 litre bottle of Coke in a single day. :cripes:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've had a whole 12 pack of diet coke in a day more than once. It's not that much.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

yeah but not in one sitting, I bet

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've had a whole 12 pack of diet coke in a day more than once. It's not that much.

that's a lot of coke

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

"By requiring three men to lift the bottle, our new product will encourage a sense of community," Hertner said. "The popular image of the lonely soda drinker wasting his life away in solitude will no longer be relevant, because anyone wanting to drink the new Coke will need two buddies to get the soda home, and at least 10 buddies to drink it all. The quick loss of carbonation might lead to tiny problems, but what are people going to do? Stop drinking Coke? I think not."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

"By requiring three men to lift the bottle, our new product will encourage a sense of community," Hertner said. "The popular image of the lonely soda drinker wasting his life away in solitude will no longer be relevant, because anyone wanting to drink the new Coke will need two buddies to get the soda home, and at least 10 buddies to drink it all. The quick loss of carbonation might lead to tiny problems, but what are people going to do? Stop drinking Coke? I think not."

Now all I need is a keg of Captain Morgan and my "forget about my job" room will be complete!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
American products measure everything in fluid ounces but does anyone honestly know how much a fluid ounce is without googling? I sure don't.

Gallons are mainly memorable because americans just picture a milk jug, so I'd wager more americans can accurately picture liters thanks to soda bottles.

See also: "football fields" being a more useful measurement than "yards"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

"The popular image of the lonely soda drinker wasting his life away in solitude will no longer be relevant

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

American products measure everything in fluid ounces but does anyone honestly know how much a fluid ounce is without googling? I sure don't.

Gallons are mainly memorable because americans just picture a milk jug, so I'd wager more americans can accurately picture liters thanks to soda bottles.

See also: "football fields" being a more useful measurement than "yards"

Same, but "blocks" is a better measurement than miles or feet for cities.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those first three measurements are meaningless to me. But I wasn't counting two liter bottles, only single serving sizes. Nobody is gonna just crack open a two liter bottle of coke and drink from it

Are you not from :911:? Have you never seen a; 1.Homeless person
2.Good ol' 100% American beef fat gently caress
3.Teenager
4.Guys/girls playing a pick up basketball game ??

7-11 used to sell MEGA big gulps that were just literally about a liter and a half. I used to drink those bad boys all the time back in middle school. God drat, I was so unhealthy as a teen/adult/still

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Guns and Roses were the best metal band and in fact the only metal band worth mentioning because the rest of it is absolute garbage, lots of what Guns and Roses did was garbage but they had a good dozen brilliant songs in their repertoire.

The most musically interesting thing Metallica ever did was the cover of Whiskey in the Jar,

Goths are stupid looking idiots, you are just copying Robert Smith and he made brilliant music whereas most people with jet black hair and dog collars don't

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CrRoMa posted:

Guns and Roses were the best metal band and in fact the only metal band worth mentioning because the rest of it is absolute garbage, lots of what Guns and Roses did was garbage but they had a good dozen brilliant songs in their repertoire.

The most musically interesting thing Metallica ever did was the cover of Whiskey in the Jar,

Goths are stupid looking idiots, you are just copying Robert Smith and he made brilliant music whereas most people with jet black hair and dog collars don't

metal sucks and guns and roses are no exception

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I couldn't name a single guns n roses song if I tried.

I probably know of a few, but nothing good enough that I ever went out of my way to figure out who sang it. To me bands like them, grateful dead, the rolling stones, led zeppelin, etc might as well all be the same guys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

Guns N Roses aren't a metal band at all so maybe your issue is that you don't know anything about it? They were Aerosmith with a mean streak.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Henchman of Santa posted:

Guns N Roses aren't a metal band at all so maybe your issue is that you don't know anything about it? They were Aerosmith with a mean streak.

I mean I'm no metal expert but I did google "best metal bands" and none of them stand out as being any more screamy or heavy than GnR were.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

I mean I'm no metal expert but I did google "best metal bands" and none of them stand out as being any more screamy or heavy than GnR were.

By the standards of the mainstream music press in 1987 they were often called metal but as we understand the genre today they're in an entirely different universe. Anyone putting them on a best metal bands list is the target audience for VH1 Classic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CrRoMa posted:

Jethro Tull is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pretty much all pop culture from 1970 to 2010 was absolute poo poo, and the eighties were the worst.