Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1050781157657317377

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poo poo i saw av club and misread it as an onion article

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

amy glitchhouse :awesomelon:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

poo poo i saw av club and misread it as an onion article

i was hoping it was

i had so much faith in her estate/label too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

i had so much faith in her estate/label too

i cant tell if thats sarcasm :pwn:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cool, let's set her up with 2pac and the vocaloids for a really loving weird concert.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Midjack posted:

cool, let's set her up with 2pac and the vocaloids for a really loving weird concert.

first ever holographic sex show?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TVsVeryOwn posted:

first ever holographic sex show?

why loving not, the estates clearly have no moral objections to anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

quote:

“Fans have been clamoring for something new from Amy, but really there isn’t anything new,” Mitch Winehouse said, referring to a lack of new music from Amy outside of one recently resurfaced demo.

maybe i'm just getting old and cranky, but back in my day we didn't expect dead musicians to be especially productive

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
remember when mitch hedberg's widow put out an album of his years after he died

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

i cant tell if thats sarcasm :pwn:

did you see the biopic?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

did you see the biopic?

no, i saw the be-all end-all in walk hard: the dewey cox story

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when mitch hedberg's widow put out an album of his years after he died

beatles & nirvana both put out songs in like 2005 or some poo poo, michael jackson put one out last year.

:airquote: and all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

leonard cohen just roasted kanye

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

amy glitchhouse :awesomelon:

Amy Winehouse is not an emulator

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

amy winmouse.dll maybe?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

beatles & nirvana both put out songs in like 2005 or some poo poo, michael jackson put one out last year.

if yr a True Nirvana Fan you had all those mp3s or the super expensive bootlegs since the 90s

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doom Mathematic posted:

drat too long for a name change

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Doom Mathematic posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

lol i remember this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODIvONHPqpk&hd=1

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

speaking of

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/10/pioneer-spirit.html

San Francisco's fleet of semi-derilict e-scooters shares sidewalk space with San Francisco's army of homeless people, who live in naked squalor alongside the some of the world's greatest displays of wealth.

It's a heady cocktail, and what's emerged from it is a homeless folk-hacking practice that has homeless people removing scooters' main computer (along with its GPS tracker), stripping off the logos, and hotwiring it, turning it into an untraceable personal transportation system.

"Every homeless person has like three scooters now," Ghadieh said. "They take the brains out, the logos off and they literally hotwire it."

I've seen scooters stashed at tent cities around San Francisco. Photos of people extracting the batteries have been posted on Twitter and Reddit. Rumor has it the batteries have a resale price of about $50 on the street, but there doesn't appear to be a huge market for them on eBay or Craigslist, according to my quick survey.

mewse
May 2, 2006

my bitter bi rival posted:

speaking of

San Francisco's fleet of semi-derilict e-scooters shares sidewalk space with San Francisco's army of homeless people, who live in naked squalor alongside the some of the world's greatest displays of wealth.

It's a heady cocktail, and what's emerged from it is a homeless folk-hacking practice that has homeless people removing scooters' main computer (along with its GPS tracker), stripping off the logos, and hotwiring it, turning it into an untraceable personal transportation system.

"Every homeless person has like three scooters now," Ghadieh said. "They take the brains out, the logos off and they literally hotwire it."

I've seen scooters stashed at tent cities around San Francisco. Photos of people extracting the batteries have been posted on Twitter and Reddit. Rumor has it the batteries have a resale price of about $50 on the street, but there doesn't appear to be a huge market for them on eBay or Craigslist, according to my quick survey.

Why do these poor people not care about the tech utopia

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
iron law of pop culture #4: unreleased songs are unreleased for a reason (corollary: the same logic applies to deleted scenes and excised book chapters)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
https://www.unenvironment.org/news-and-stories/story/air-pollution-linked-huge-reduction-intelligence

nice. short list of things with which human beings have massively poisoned themselves, historically:

lead
air pollution
lead
air pollution
social media

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
this strikes me as something out of cyberpunk but in a good way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBc28v0DNY

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
:wow:, but the start of that video really undermines how cool this is

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prisoner of waffles posted:

https://www.unenvironment.org/news-and-stories/story/air-pollution-linked-huge-reduction-intelligence

nice. short list of things with which human beings have massively poisoned themselves, historically:

lead
air pollution
lead
air pollution
social media

they missed your posts

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

quote:

Stirling’s group is working toward a better understanding of the way humans adapt and react to exoskeletons and other wearable technologies, such as next-generation spacesuits.

“We’re looking at the fluency between what the system is doing and what the human is doing,” Stirling says. “If the human wants to speed up or slow down, can this system be designed to appropriately move so the human is not fighting the system, and vice versa?”

Marcia O’Malley, a professor of mechanical engineering at Rice University, says that knowing the cognitive effects of an exoskeleton is especially relevant if the device is used on the battlefield.

“A decrease in cognitive ability would be extremely detrimental, even if the physical capability of the warfighter is enhanced,” says O’Malley, who was not involved in the research. “This [study] is about as close to ‘field testing’ as you can get — moving away from a controlled laboratory setting. So, while there is a good deal of variability in the results, they shed important light on the tradeoffs in physical and cognitive performance enhancement.”

CLOSED: working as intended
https://news.mit.edu/2018/movement-enhancing-exoskeletons-impair-decision-making-1004

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 16, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
to be fair that was after five days of use, it doesn't rule out the possibility that with longer training and exposure the users could be acclimatized and the effect could disappear. you can train yourself to see the world upside down with no day-to-day impediments if you wear glasses rigged to force it upon you for long enough

but the tech is a long way from deserving that kind of commitment

(maybe they answer this in the paper, just going on that article)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MSPain posted:

in two decades youll have to do your dance routine as youre falling from a real plane and if your sponsors dont appreciate your performance and the score you receive they dont pay for your parachute to deploy

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

speaking of

loving badass

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

speaking of

it owns i had some guy riding 2 different scooters at the same time offer me one the other day and you see piles of them at the shantytowns

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MSPain posted:

this is loving excellent

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the more efficiently we can funnel vc money to the homeless, the better

i wish i had a good idea that could just really spill that vc money like crazy without it being too obvious

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
maybe disposable tents for the uber rich that are actually totally fine prefabs that are easy to anchor into the ground?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

maybe disposable tents for the uber rich that are actually guillotines

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

i like it. what if they're actually elaborate Saw-type death traps to make them liquidate and donate their money before they're murderized?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Corla Plankun posted:

maybe disposable tents for the uber rich that are actually totally fine prefabs that are easy to anchor into the ground?

single use guillotines that remain excellent shelters once the mess has been cleaned out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Don't need my cannon fodder to think, just shoot

• Locked thread