Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

This won me over with the attached insulated garage. I prefer it over building to be honest. I'll post pics if they accept our offer.

Good luck with that man, sounds like a great find. Insulated is like super plus good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We only need to go back a few years to know that's not true. Housing most certainly reverses and when it does it reverses hard. Also houses are not assets. They are correctly notes as liabilities. They are being treated as wealth stores when ooooh boy that shouldnt be the case at all.
Houses are assets.
Mortgages are liabilities.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

Houses are assets.

You haven’t seen my house. I mean, the *land* is an asset, yes.

I’m being harsh. My house is still actually structurally sound. I just hate it after 18 years. First house, didn’t really know what I wanted.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ilkhan posted:

Houses are assets.

Not often that I agree with you, but... you're right.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Houses are assets.

This is 100% wrong especially as an owner occupier - A house is not an asset. Stop with this bullshit straight away. Just because you can sell occasionally at a profit doesn't make it any different - liabilities are quite often bought and sold at a profit (remember 2008?), but it doesn't make them assets. Let alone when we are in the delusion that personal housing is a wealth accumulator - heres a fact, the media that keeps ppushing this line actually has a profit motive as much of the income they rely on is for housing buy / sell. Housing is always a liability as it is ALWAYS costing you. It is not a means to production, it is always a money drainer that has personal benefits of shelter and warmth or maybe a 10 car garage.

Yeah you could get lucky and sell for a profit. But when you actually do the sums on what the opportunity cost, the real cost of the mortgage, the upkeep and maintenace and all the added costs like rates and taxes ooooh boy the sums dont look so good now.

Even as a landlord, it's still a liability, even if it is generating income. The only time I can say a house is an asset is IF your direct means of income is professionally flipping them. It has become a means of production and even then there are heavy liabilities. House flipping Vanilla Ice style take s fuckload of work and resources to achieve.

Yes I'd happily buy another house one day but I'm not going to buy one under the delusion it's an asset.

quote:

I think he was being cheeky, CT.

People genuinely believe it and it's continually being said in the media. It's not a good thing to leave unchallenged.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 16, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is 100% wrong especially as an owner occupier - A house is not an asset.

as·set
ˈaset/Submit
noun
property owned by a person or company, regarded as having value and available to meet debts, commitments, or legacies.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
An asset is something you own. Regardless of being able to sell at a profit or a loss, it's still owned by you and thus an asset.

The word you are looking for is investment.

This may be an American English vs Australian English thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Really it's more comparing accounting definitions versus general parlance.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Meanwhile I'm sitting here like "man I'd like to own something some day but lmao at this $300k for a condo $650k for a house bullshit".

I love living in the Pacific Northwest, but mother of gently caress it's hard to break into the hellmarket here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ahhhh they have 20 hours to respond to our offer I'm going nuts.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Kazinsal posted:

Meanwhile I'm sitting here like "man I'd like to own something some day but lmao at this $300k for a condo $650k for a house bullshit".

I love living in the Pacific Northwest, but mother of gently caress it's hard to break into the hellmarket here.

The PNW/California lyfe is leaking into Utah now too. Housing is ridiculous.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The PNW/California lyfe is leaking into Utah now too. Housing is ridiculous.

Housing is stalling a bit in Sacramento. Maybe I'll be able to buy a house someday.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

Housing is stalling a bit in Sacramento. Maybe I'll be able to buy a house someday.
They're all moving to the USA and driving up prices in Reno.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

goddamnit are we talking real cars here or a car metaphor, i can't even tell anymore

Fridge corn is was an Aston Martin dealer mechanic. So yeah, no car metaphors in this case. Sounds like he jumped ship to a Ferrari dealer or shop.

Bajaha posted:

It's a cheese, but it's grated parm so not melted is a-ok. This place does some pretty weird combinations but they're drat good.

Garlic parm, I'm guessing? Pretty common flavor these days; tossed in a garlic sauce with grated or shredded parm on top.

I'm not much on garlic after THE INCIDENT (friend made his own pesto sauce while drunk as hell, used an entire head of garlic instead of a few cloves, left me sweating/puking/making GBS threads garlic for several days), nor am I much on wings, but at Pizza Hut/WingStreet it was one of the more popular flavors. Pretty much every wing place has some version of it.

fridge corn posted:

They're paying me my notice in lieu lmao

Congrats. I've been walked out the door with no further pay a few minutes after handing in my notice before. Yay for US labor laws. I fully expected it though.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah I thought I fixed the misfire issue I was having with the car. I replaced the plugs and wires to get it to pass emissions and the misfire codes went away but they just came back and it has me concerned.

Isn't it a 6th gen (98-02) V6? If so, possibly a bad coil? If you can ever get the code out of it, find the coil for that cylinder, and swap it with the coil from another cylinder. See if the code follows the coil.

If I'm wrong on the year, let me know, but yeah the CEL will only flash if there's a severe misfire. Hopefully it's a bad coil or bad connection to a coil.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes I'd happily buy another house one day but I'm not going to buy one under the delusion it's an asset.

I'm paying less per month on the mortgage for my condo and the association's fixed fee, than I would have to pay in rent for a similar apartment.

And the mortgage goes to my own pocket when I eventually sell. Will I make a profit? Probably not much, but I'll be ahead compared to if I paid the same amount in rent.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Goober Peas posted:

I moved this spring and got 30% over asking in a 5 way bidding war. Demand for starter homes is insane right now, driven by a lack of any being built for the last 30 years.

Also by lack of anyone being able to 'upgrade' out of them. I'm shopping for one now myself, and the market's nuts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

STR posted:

Isn't it a 6th gen (98-02) V6? If so, run away screaming.

Fixed.

I loved the look and feel of my sixth gen V6 accord but holy moses did that engine/transmission package ever have defects. Eats relays, engine has heat soak issues causing vapour lock inside the fuel rail, transmissions become one-shot internal combustion engines if you blink at them too hard...

e: Actually thinking about it this sounds like the heat soak problem. I've heard some people have fixed it by swapping fuel rails in from the J-series V6 out of a Honda Odyssey from the same era.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 16, 2018

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Back in work after my stag do and seriously regretting not booking today off.
Managed to avoid any incidents across the weekend despite combining axe throwing with an Auchentoshan distillery tour and a Drygate brewery tour.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

An asset is something you own. Regardless of being able to sell at a profit or a loss, it's still owned by you and thus an asset.

The word you are looking for is investment.

This may be an American English vs Australian English thing.

Well to be fair, if you have a mortgage on a house you don't technically own it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm paying less per month on the mortgage for my condo and the association's fixed fee, than I would have to pay in rent for a similar apartment.

And the mortgage goes to my own pocket when I eventually sell. Will I make a profit? Probably not much, but I'll be ahead compared to if I paid the same amount in rent.
Maybe it's a location thing. I've noticed people in other countries often seem to have some very odd-sounding ideas about property ownership.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well to be fair, if you have a mortgage on a house you don't technically own it.

You have equity though, which is an asset.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Maybe it's a location thing. I've noticed people in other countries often seem to have some very odd-sounding ideas about property ownership.

To be perfectly fair, this is the capital region, where apartments are expensive. So is a mortgage, but interest rates are favorable right now.

My interest rate right now is literally -0.15%. Granted there are some fees on top, so it doesn't actually end up negative, but it's a thing to consider.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They're paying you to take their money? That's not normal, that's insane.
Even when the cash rate here was ~1.25%, mortgages were at minimum 3% (for a very short time only). Every 3 months or so when the fed reviewed the rate, if they kept it steady banks would increase the rate by 0.1-0.25% just because, and if the fed increased the rate by 0.25%, the banks would increase their rate by 0.3-0.5%

E: when I had a house the official rate was 5.25% but banks charged 6-7% so I was paying 700+/wk

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

1) wife
2) mortgage
3) 'sensible' car

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I moved this spring and got 30% over asking in a 5 way bidding war. Demand for starter homes is insane right now, driven by a lack of any being built for the last 30 years.

This is very true, I was casually looking at houses a few weeks ago and decided...to keep on waiting. Especially since it'd just be me living there.

Does this seem like a $180k house? Apparently so, zillow says someone put in an offer on it!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/67-Locust-Park-Albany-NY-12205/29679008_zpid/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

1) wife
2) mortgage
3) 'sensible' car

That is on the agenda. I just have to decide if I'm keeping the other cars. We only have parking for 10.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

Great! Now put the screws to them during the home inspection process!

redgubbinz posted:

Does this seem like a $180k house?

Depends on location. If that was in my area at $180k, I'd buy it in an instant as an income property.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rhyno posted:

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

:ducksiren:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

Grats. Remember that nothing really matters at this point and nothing is binding. If you find anything you don't like at the inspection, you can still walk away. Find a good inspector and if he sees anything he's not sure about (they aren't experts in everything, so he won't know HVAC intimately, etc) then get another specialized professional in there just in case. This is where it's worth it up front to just pay the money and not get bent over later.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

Congratulations!

Suburban Dad posted:

Grats. Remember that nothing really matters at this point and nothing is binding. If you find anything you don't like at the inspection, you can still walk away. Find a good inspector and if he sees anything he's not sure about (they aren't experts in everything, so he won't know HVAC intimately, etc) then get another specialized professional in there just in case. This is where it's worth it up front to just pay the money and not get bent over later.

And definitely this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having a wife in the industry is definitely helping. We have a huge crowd of resources her company has used and trusts.

It's barely sunk in, I'm probably gonna freak out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

It's barely sunk in, I'm probably gonna freak out.

I think every new homeowner goes through a "OK - its not too late to burn it to the ground and collect the insurance money, right?" crisis somewhere between signing and the one-year mark.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just floored by what this year has brought me. Wife, great job, new home.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

I'm just floored by what this year has brought me. Wife, great job, new home.

You'll be having sex next.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

You'll be having sex next.

On the floor even!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
You need a moving van? How bout this sweet thing I just saw, which is apparently a real thing and not some homemade combo of a dually truck and a van like I first thought.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

On the floor even!

Lol

Congrats dude, welcome to the full time job of home ownership! :v:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Houses are assets.

Assets (houses) = liabilities (mortgages) + owners equity (spread between the two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Modus Man posted:

You need a moving van? How bout this sweet thing I just saw, which is apparently a real thing and not some homemade combo of a dually truck and a van like I first thought.

+Quigley 4x4 and some build out and you don't even need a house, you can just travel the world. Go wherever you want and bring your house with you. Like a... snail? or a turtle? Which is good because it'll probably run you the price of a house.

KozmoNaut posted:

And the first 500k of appreciation on your house is tax free and interest on your mortgage is tax deductible. There's a lot that the government has done to encourage home ownership.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not going to buy one under the delusion it's an asset.

I feel like you're kind of overreacting here, generally, but there's one thing you said that I agree with which is above. Although a house is actually an asset (with associated liabilities, sure), the idea that you should buy a house as a form of investment is not a particularly good one. I think you should buy a house when you want to own a house and the house you want to own is available for a price you're willing to pay. And then you should live there. And that's it. Get some appreciation? That's nice! But it shouldn't be the reason you buy a house. So we definitely agree on that.

I think you're also mixing up the Australian and US housing markets. I personally think the US market is maybe a little overpriced, but we're just not at all in line for the same kind of crash we had in '08 for many reasons. Vs. Australia which, uh, yeah... don't buy a house in Australia right now.

• Locked thread