Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Incompetently racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Either they're all racist, or the AG is a Secret Nazi.

Either way this should be a media shitstorm, but in 2018 it's just Tuesday.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/1051962905581604865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFeedSBS/status/1051767006632923136

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-16/liberal-mps-ask-scott-morrison-to-evacuate-children-from-nauru/10379604?section=politics

quote:

Liberal Member for Chisholm, Julia Banks, also thinks the situation on Nauru has reached a "tipping point" and the Australian Government should change its approach.

The MPs told Mr Morrison the public mood had shifted regarding Australia's offshore processing regime and a pragmatic solution was needed.

I know the polling on support for offshore has been getting lower every year but I guess it’s under 50% now?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Reclines Obesily posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-16/liberal-mps-ask-scott-morrison-to-evacuate-children-from-nauru/10379604?section=politics

I know the polling on support for offshore has been getting lower every year but I guess it’s under 50% now?

Yay democracy works.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Porters trying to find his officers hitlerjugend to throw under the bus because if he doesn't it's on his head

quote:

An early email advising an approach on the motion went out from my office on this matter without my knowledge.
It appears that, of the very large number of motions on which my office’s views are routinely sought, this one was not escalated to me because it was interpreted in my office as a motion opposing racism. The associations of the language were not picked up. Had it been raised directly with me those issues would have been identified.
As Minister Cormann said this morning this was the result of an administrative error, including on the part of my office.
Naturally I’m reviewing the processes in my office to prevent such an administrative error in the future. Having been part of an error that put Senator Ruston in a very difficult position a tweet from my office condemning all forms of racism was meant as nothing more than support for that same proposition which Senator Ruston, despite being placed in a difficult position, put in the Senate that the Government condemns all forms of racism.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I think they realised that endorsing white power at the same time as floating they'll move the embassy to Jerusalem may give mixed messages to the Jewish population in Wentworth.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The swath of "I'm actually very dumb and have no idea what's happening, rather than a white supremacist" defences are wild

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If Hinch is going off his brain about something being racist, you've probably got something very racist on your hands.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

I think they realised that endorsing white power at the same time as floating they'll move the embassy to Jerusalem may give mixed messages to the Jewish population in Wentworth.

Nah jews are white now, that's why we have the word Judeo-Christian

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Demi Lardner's a fave

Reclines Obesily posted:

Unlike the Labor party, us in the Liberal party have compassion

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

bell jar posted:

Nah jews are white now, that's why we have the word Judeo-Christian

I'm fairly certain that the 1488 crowd dont include Jews in with the whites.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jewish voters love to be considered a monolithic bloc that only cares about Israel

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/primroseriordan/status/1051969380441944065

Great work campaigning for that by-election PM Sharks.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

bandaid.friend posted:

Unlike the Labor party, us in the Liberal party have compassion

In one week they’ve agreed to protecting gay students, reject racism in the senate and some are wanting to end labor’s offshore policy

Thumbs up for da libs

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Man if they flip on offshore before the ALP get a pivot together, shorten is hosed harder than Australian Refugee Policy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
(also predicting they'll "take it to the election" then not do it. See also: every other popular policy they didn't want to do.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Man if they flip on offshore before the ALP get a pivot together, shorten is hosed harder than Australian Refugee Policy.

Aren't the ALP voting on and announcing the policy for children to be evacuated for medical treatment today?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Aren't the ALP voting on and announcing the policy for children to be evacuated for medical treatment today?

Only the ones that the AMA has been able to confirm are, in fact, close to death. The rest of them can stay there. Thanks Bill Shorten!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I bet it was Eric 'Nazi offspring' Abetz who was the mastermind behind the vote.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
How hard would it be for the LNP to get rid of mandatory voting? I assume it's not too easy but how else are they going to get around their gently caress up with the plebiscite? Surely they planned for this.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Plan? That's optimistic.

Edit. Could be changed by legislation. So possibly easy. But passing the senate would be practicaly impossible.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 16, 2018

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Gentleman Baller posted:

How hard would it be for the LNP to get rid of mandatory voting? I assume it's not too easy but how else are they going to get around their gently caress up with the plebiscite? Surely they planned for this.
To get enough public buy-in before the next election for a change that significant, they would have to hold another plebiscite.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1052004414645448705
lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Hmmm

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo the amount of back pedalling by LNP Senators today is amazing.
Why would you want to give women rights over their bodies?

Queensland Strong

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So much for being able to cross the floor to vote with your principles, if the party says jump, they say how heil.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/olivialeeming/status/1052013898868518912/
:shuckyes:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 16, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Reclines Obesily posted:

And all it took was 6000 Doctors saying 'We need to stop harming children'.

For several years.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

https://twitter.com/primroseriordan/status/1051969380441944065

Great work campaigning for that by-election PM Sharks.

Uh, uh, isreal is... fair go, and true blue fair shake uh... mate?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland Strong

Opinion: Labor’s Abortion Bill is ideology dressed up as health care

IN THE next 48 hours, the Queensland Parliament will debate and vote on one of the most important and controversial pieces of legislation ever to come before the Chamber.

It’s not about stopping farmers clearing trees or sending cab owners broke through deregulation.

It’s not even about trying to get the trains to run on time, nor is it about saving an iconic Queensland industry like racing. It’s about the most sacred of all topics; the involuntary right to be born, or more specifically, the right to choose to kill an unborn child.

That sounds rather crass but the time for niceties is over as the vote on this Bill looms. State MPs have been told by their leaders that on this piece of legislation they have been afforded a so-called “conscience’’ vote, meaning they can vote how they like, because of the moral, ethical and religious connotations attached to abortion.

For Labor MPs, the notion of a conscience vote on any legislation – least of all one proposed and championed by the highly persuasive Deputy Premier and Treasurer Jackie Trad – is a farce.

Trad says this abortion Bill is personal, meaning her powers of persuasion will be even more finely attuned with her Caucus colleagues. But it’s important that Queenslanders understand what this Bill allows.

There’s a misconception that this new law only allows women to terminate their unborn child up to 22 weeks. Not true. This Bill allows a woman to abort a healthy unborn baby up until 37 weeks, or full term. It must be on “social circumstances’’ grounds and the woman must get the okay from two doctors.

Social circumstances can include economic disadvantage, relationship breakdown or even sex selection.

In Victoria, on which the Queensland laws are closely mirrored, a woman two years ago aborted a healthy baby at 37 weeks. From 2009-15 in Victoria, 1123 babies were aborted between 20-27 weeks.

Between 2009-11, 28 healthy babies were aborted between 28 and 31 weeks.

These are the same laws that will exist in Queensland. The key here is “healthy’’ babies. To be sure, I believe there are valid and compelling reasons to abort an unborn child if there are major foetal abnormalities. A woman who is raped must also have that choice – before 22 weeks.

Of the 4855 public submissions on the upcoming abortion Bill, 78 per cent were opposed, 15 per cent were in favour and 7 per cent unsure.

In a recent YouGov/Galaxy poll, commissioned by Cherish Life and the Australian Family Association, 62 per cent of Queenslanders believe that an unborn child at 23 weeks of pregnancy is a person with human rights.

That figure went up to 69 per cent of females. One in four Queenslanders knows at least one woman who took the decision to have an abortion following pressure from another person.

Just 6 per cent of those polled said they believed women should have the right to abort a child up until birth.

The poll also showed that more than half of all Queensland voters (54 per cent) say that if their local MP voted in favour of this Bill, it would influence how they voted at the next election.

In last month’s public hearings into the Bill, a late-term Brisbane abortion provider Dr Carol Portmann spoke on the subject of coercion. She said: “Certainly there will be circumstances where we are sure that (coercion) is happening … sometimes even in the best of circumstances, we understand that a person is to a degree being coerced, but feel they still need to go ahead because it is their only choice, because otherwise this person will leave them and their four kids.’’

Renowned American feminist Camille Paglia recently tore into her own side on the issue of abortion. Writing in Salon.com she said the issue had become “an ideological tool ruthlessly exploited by my own party, the Democrats, to inflame passions, raise money and drive voting’’.

“Abortion has become a feminist sacrament, promoted with the same religiosity that (feminist) Gloria Steinem and her colleagues condemn in their devoutly Christian opponents,’’ she wrote.

The hysteria whipped up in the US over the Supreme Court appointment of Brett Kavanaugh was linked to the 1973 case of Roe v. Wade, which effectively makes abortion legal in the US.

Feminists believe Kavanaugh wants to change the law, despite having said repeatedly he has no intention of doing so. It is hard to argue, especially at key stages of pregnancy, say between 30 weeks and 37 weeks, that you are not actually killing a baby.

This is obvious when you look at the advancements and success rates with premature births.

Then there’s the “right to protest’’ provisions within the Bill, or the “safe space’’ component.

This effectively bans any protest within 150m of an abortion clinic.

It does seem ironic coming from a Labor Government, which allows unions to lawfully shout and scream abuse outside workplaces, yet now includes the provision of jail for people exercising their democratic right to protest against abortions.

This abortion law is the totemic issue for the Left of the Labor Party. It is ideology dressed up as health care.

The Left of the Labor Party runs Queensland. But you already knew that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"It’s not even about trying to get the trains to run on time, nor is it about saving an iconic Queensland industry like racing. It’s about the most sacred of all topics; the involuntary right to be born, or more specifically, the right to choose to kill an unborn child."

lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, we didn't really need to see that article, Anidav.

The Peccadillo posted:

Uh, uh, isreal is... fair go, and true blue fair shake uh... mate?

Oi Vey

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That article is so all over the place it's amazing.

Protesting industrially is the same as intercepting women seeking health care.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

It’s not about stopping farmers clearing trees or sending cab owners broke through deregulation.

It’s not even about trying to get the trains to run on time, nor is it about saving an iconic Queensland industry like racing. It’s about the most sacred of all topics; the involuntary right to be born, or more specifically, the right to choose to kill an unborn child.

lol

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

Jewish voters love to be considered a monolithic bloc that only cares about Israel

This has literally been the entirety of the successful electoral of Michael Danby for decades

Also lol adults in charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Not even Mussolini could get Queensland Rail to run on time.

• Locked thread