Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Not to forget the lovely village of lickmyorangeballshalflinggivethemagoodonceover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Post poste posted:

According to the 5e wiki, it still has a material component of a 50gp diamond.

Fun fact, if the spell does not say the thing is consumed when casting the spell then the item is not destroyed. So basically you just have to carry around a diamond. Not as bad as it seems.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

And when they're not, it's frequently only because they haven't been translated from their original name, which was.
Someone did a map of Germany where all the major city names were translated into modern language, and it was like straight out of D&D. Turns out my friends live in the City of the Fire Lord :black101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Someone did a map of Germany where all the major city names were translated into modern language, and it was like straight out of D&D. Turns out my friends live in the City of the Fire Lord :black101:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wish D&D had a better currency than just gold points. General practitioners?

Silver was way more commonly used before the modern era anyways.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I used to live near Fortress Rock's Fortfort

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My biggest complaint with D&D money is that it's a base 10 system. That's way too straightforward and convenient.
Gimme that Harry Potter money poo poo.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think we're all forgetting the lovely and totally relevant village of "Lickmyorangeballshalfling."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AnoHito posted:

I think we're all forgetting the lovely and totally relevant village of "Lickmyorangeballshalfling."

dreadmojo posted:

Not to forget the lovely village of lickmyorangeballshalflinggivethemagoodonceover

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Schwarzwald posted:

Pathfinder: The Second might not be d20, but I super doubt it'll be anything too similar to 4e.

3.5 had some very noticeable problems that'd benefit from being bandaged over. 4e works too well at what it does to really benefit from that.

I played in a 4E campaign for a few years and did a 3.5 campaign afterwards.
The big problems we found with 4E was levelling was good and gave you some cool powers. But fights became the same stuff over and over.
Like I know that all iterations of D&D had the same sort if combat over and over again...
But every fight was just "I use my Encounter powers. When they are used up I switch to my At Will. If things get ropey, I use a Daily power."
And while the dailies were good, they weren't big impressive things.
With 4E, we would get into a fight. It would take an hour. 20 minutes into the fight it was obvious we were going to win, but we would still have to simulate it. It got to the stage where a few months before the end of the campaign, the GM just let us spend X amount of Healing Surges to end a fight early without us having to resolve it, if it wasn't a crucial boss fight.

At least with 3.5 if you wanted to end a fight early, high enough level spells would just do that.
Also all the powers were just for combat. At least 3.5 had whacky stuff where Wizards could solve problems in the game world with stone shape or overland flight.

We have also been in the playtest for Pathfinder 2E. It has made changes but it's still very notably like original Pathfinder. The changes they made to shields actually make them really good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Question IRL posted:

I played in a 4E campaign for a few years and did a 3.5 campaign afterwards.
The big problems we found with 4E was levelling was good and gave you some cool powers. But fights became the same stuff over and over.
Like I know that all iterations of D&D had the same sort if combat over and over again...
But every fight was just "I use my Encounter powers. When they are used up I switch to my At Will. If things get ropey, I use a Daily power."
And while the dailies were good, they weren't big impressive things.
With 4E, we would get into a fight. It would take an hour. 20 minutes into the fight it was obvious we were going to win, but we would still have to simulate it. It got to the stage where a few months before the end of the campaign, the GM just let us spend X amount of Healing Surges to end a fight early without us having to resolve it, if it wasn't a crucial boss fight.

At least with 3.5 if you wanted to end a fight early, high enough level spells would just do that.
Also all the powers were just for combat. At least 3.5 had whacky stuff where Wizards could solve problems in the game world with stone shape or overland flight.

We have also been in the playtest for Pathfinder 2E. It has made changes but it's still very notably like original Pathfinder. The changes they made to shields actually make them really good.

these are good points.

I found when you squeezed 4e it did its best work, like reducing healing surge recovery, or just going completely berzerk like fourthcore (revenge of the iron lich is incredible).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

4e had a separate set of non-combat spells that wizards got by default and anyone else could take as a feat. That was where the problem-solving utility spells lived, with the idea being that casters no longer had a monopoly on them because anyone could take the feat and you had to roll a skill check to cast the spell successfully.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 15, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Android Blues posted:

4e had a separate set of non-combat spells that wizards got by default and anyone else could take as a feat. That was where the problem-solving utility spells lived, with the idea being that casters no longer had a monopoly on them because anyone could take the feat and you had to roll a skill check to cast the spell successfully.

I liked that anyone could take the ritual casting feat, seemed nice and flavoursome from a character point of view.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fights in 4E do go on for fairly long, usually a round or two too long, but it kinda sounds you guys just didn't like combat. It is a game that makes you engage with combat and provides a drat solid combat system to make it worthwhile.

The Question IRL posted:

high enough level spells
Wizards could solve problems
See that's another big thing. Wizards get to solve problems with spells. Everyone else gets to watch. gently caress that. You don't get I-solve-the-problem abilities in 4E or if you do every class has access to some. I'll very happily put up with fights that go on for too long (by the way any DM that regularly makes you go through the motions of any situation where it's a foregone conclusion needs to up their game) if it means I get to actually do something. Sorry if I'm coming across harsh here but I've wasted more than enough time of my life sitting around the table going "hmm interesting, I could try oh nevermind the wizard's solved the problem" because I thought a fighter or rogue sounded cool to play.

I mean look at OotS where Roy the Fighter gets homebrew magic weapons and feats to make him effective while Vaarsuvius the Wizard gets homebrew plot involvement that gives Rich a way to remove him from the situation whenever he could otherwise solve a problem immediately, and has his very character mechanics set up from the start so he won't break the plot with teleportation spells.

As for rituals, even apart from those I can easily find non-combat utility powers for most classes even just in the basic PHB at low levels.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 15, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

dreadmojo posted:

I liked that anyone could take the ritual casting feat, seemed nice and flavoursome from a character point of view.
Yeah and when you see 5e rickety ritual spells list (19 versus 260+ in 4e), you wonder how non fireball launchers spell casters deal with magic. I mean there are a few spells that are non-combat spells with 1 action cast time that should totally be rituals. Who the hell is gonna learn Arcane Lock or Continual Flame or Fabricate and cast those spells at the cost of a spell slot. If you want to assassinate a powerful mage better wait for the day they are wasting spell slots securing and lighting their lair, i guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 15, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

My biggest complaint with D&D money is that it's a base 10 system. That's way too straightforward and convenient.

I would legit enjoy a tribe of people who only have 8 fingers whose entire counting and monetery system is different because of it, but that might be a bit beyond the perveiw of rpg book makers

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hey nerds, i have to do a spoopy one shot for halloween, any system (pref fairly light tho). What shall I do? four players, fairly experienced. currently thinking Cthulhu, there's an amazing one set in a submarine, but it might be a bit elaborate for them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

dreadmojo posted:

hey nerds, i have to do a spoopy one shot for halloween, any system (pref fairly light tho). What shall I do? four players, fairly experienced. currently thinking Cthulhu, there's an amazing one set in a submarine, but it might be a bit elaborate for them.

There is a classic Cthullu scenario (I think it was the scenario included in most of the rule books) called the Haunted House (and later renamed the Haunting.) That might be what you are looking for.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/The_Haunting_(aka_The_Haunted_House)_(Scenario)

A lot of people have played it because it is often used as an introductory adventure for campaigns, and I remember it being really good.
But a scenario set on a submarine sounds baller. Like that CoC PC game, the Prisoner of Ice.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

Let's have a math nerd civilization where currencies are based on prime and irrational numbers. The Puny is the lowest coin. You have 2π punies in a middling, 3φ middlings in a tough, 5e toughs in a mighty, and 7√2 mighties in a sovereign.

The elves came up with this system because they felt they needed something to justify having to wait like 300 years before they're considered adults, so they spend 300 years learning how to count their brainfuck money.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Let's have a math nerd civilization where currencies are based on prime and irrational numbers. The Puny is the lowest coin. You have 2π punies in a middling, 3φ middlings in a tough, 5e toughs in a mighty, and 7√2 mighties in a sovereign.

The elves came up with this system because they felt they needed something to justify having to wait like 300 years before they're considered adults, so they spend 300 years learning how to count their brainfuck money.

I very much want to play in this setting so that I can play a race that hates elves and wants to murder them into extinction, and then as a high level character go to the outer planes and murder the Elven afterlife.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Rich, please save us from ourselves

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dreadmojo posted:

Slasher Flick is made for spooky one shots

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Post poste posted:

I don't think it's used up, though. You just need to keep a diamond on you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dreadmojo posted:

Dread, Ten Candles, and Don't Rest Your Head are also great one shot horror sysyems.

Edit: That's from least to most complex. I found Dread to be a bit too shallow for people used to mechanically heavy games, but great for friends who only play really simple stuff or don't have much rpg experience. Ten Candles is probably good for people who play PBTA games regularly, it's not too complex, but it's got a few things going on. And DRYH is chunkier than the others. Very good, but not the best for people who don't quickly internalize rules.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 15, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Post poste posted:

I just want DND in an edition where Chromatic Orb doesn't cost 50gp a cast :v

I mean most of that is just in-jokes carried over from the 80's about how the Wizards were actually just doing stage magic. Chromatic Orb needs a diamond because they're just shining light through it to make the rainbow colors, you need an Amber or Glass rod for Chain Lightning because they can generate a static charge, you need guano and other ingredients for Fireball that can cause small explosions etc.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PMush Perfect posted:

Dread, Ten Candles, and Don't Rest Your Head are also great one shot horror sysyems.

Edit: That's from least to most complex. I found Dread to be a bit too shallow for people used to mechanically heavy games, but great for friends who only play really simple stuff or don't have much rpg experience. Ten Candles is probably good for people who play PBTA games regularly, it's not too complex, but it's got a few things going on. And DRYH is chunkier than the others. Very good, but not the best for people who don't quickly internalize rules.

Don't Rest Your Head is very very good, but it is also very much a purpose-built game. If you don't intend to play as insomniacs with unreality powers gradually going insane it won't work quite as well.

I am going to add Unknown Armies to the list suggestions, if the idea of humanist conspiracy horror appeals to you.

There are also the World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness games, specially if playing a mortals-only game in the latter. The other lines are much more urban fantasy than horror.

[edit] I've heard very good things about the current edition of Delta Green, but haven't played it myself.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 15, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I never miss an opportunity to plug Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, ever, so it's a good thing that it has a Halloween Special you can run.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

dreadmojo posted:

Actual Cannibal Shia LaBouf is a dead easy one shot

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This reminds me of Roy's grandpa talking about slaying a dragon in Reddragonsville. It gives the place names the feel of a kid who is running his first D&D games growing up and becoming slightly more original in his scenario building. Well, that, and real place names are kinda generic like that, too. Great Lakes, Salt Lake City, (name of person,) New York, etc.

I always figured this was a callback to the old BBS game, Legend of the Red Dragon, and the HTML remake, Legend of the Green Dragon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Red_Dragon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Post poste posted:

The Diamond is not consumed. Components are only consumed if the spell says so now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey everyone, I found a perfect thread where you can all talk about how other games are so good so you can shut the gently caress up in this one!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah those guys are weird and scary

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guys...don't have a discussion about D&D and RPGs in this thread about a comic based on D&D and RPGs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Len posted:

Guys...don't have a discussion about D&D and RPGs in this thread about a comic based on D&D and RPGs.

people post this kind of thing when off topic arguments get really annoying, not really off topic

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

people post this kind of thing when off topic arguments get really annoying, not really off topic

It's always more annoying and less useful than the "annoying" arguments. If you want the topic to talk about OotS again so bad, loving start a conversation instead of being poo poo, or just ignore the topic, how's that?

Here: I kinda miss Xykon and his side of things. It feels like dude became sort of a secondary antagonist with the Gods and Snarl and Durkula. I know he's gonna be back and most of it is pacing but man did the skeleton lose his top billing.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe sub-boss Zyklon figures out that he can't control the Snarl and drags Redcloak to the negotiating table.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He isnt really a dude. More of a magically animated ..."thing"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Eox posted:

Maybe sub-boss Zyklon figures out that he can't control the Snarl and drags Redcloak to the negotiating table.

I suspect he's known for a while.

Mechanically, epic spells, like say, cloister, require obscenely high spellcraft. If what's her name could figure it out, so could xykon.

It's not in character for xykon to pay attention, or lie when raw power will do, but him turning the tables with a variation of the ritual is a possible spin

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ikanreed posted:

Mechanically, epic spells, like say, cloister, require obscenely high spellcraft. If what's her name could figure it out, so could xykon.

This is probably one of those things where game mechanics are kind of ignored for the story.

Also looking at the rules for what rolling Spellcraft can get you it's all about knowing what a spell is

The rules themselves never really concerned themselves with the process by which spells are made or cast, just that you could cast them. So presumably Xykon, not being formally educated, can't tell exactly the nitty gritty details of a spell even if he does have a high Spellcraft ranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

It's not in character for xykon to pay attention, or lie when raw power will do, but him turning the tables with a variation of the ritual is a possible spin

She didn't quite figure it out on her own, though. She had to have the MITD clue her in on the hard part.