Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I would unironically love what basically boils down to DnD Puyo Pop, where each time you clear an encounter the other team has to fight their risen revenants until one group is buried in bodies. There could even be some risk-reward in whether you go for the quickest direct path through the dungeon or try to rack up a monster combo instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I don't see how they're going to get anybody to stick with it.

The team of grognards who cheat and read ahead on the adventure but keeps rolling poorly is going to lose to the team of idiots who constantly draw opportunity attacks because they want to rush the caster but roll 20s constantly.

Yeah, most of the time those numbers balance out, but every once in a while it just doesn't.

Hell, that's basically the premise of Blood Bowl. Most of the time it's fine, sometimes you roll six 1s in a row and your best rusher trips on his own feet and breaks his neck and dies.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

STRAHD: YOU ALL BOUGHT IT.

BY GAWD AS MY WITNESS, BIGBY BROKE HIM IN HALF.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Piell posted:

Can't wait to see the party of archer fighters speedrun the dungeon, minimizing turn time by never moving and rolling all their attack and damage dice at the same time.

By never using AoE effects or abilities that require the DM to roll saves or make rulings, and not interacting with the battlemap as much as possible, they minimize the battletime used.

My word, they've accidently made DnD Speedruns.

Greetings from Cormyr.

"So I'm just going to move and provoke the opportunity attack, taking damage to save time."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This is a really weird idea. I mean, it's plausible it might be kind of fun to watch once, maybe? If they publish the pregens they might be interesting to use for something? I don't know I'm looking for an upside here

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I know its discouraged somewhat to post like this in this thread but dnd as an esport is the dumbest loving idea in the universe

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So what's the likelihood of a big stink coming out of this after one team claims the other DM gave their team, literal, unfair advantage :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wrestlepig posted:

I know its discouraged somewhat to post like this in this thread but dnd as an esport is the dumbest loving idea in the universe

Penny Arcade despite their heavy involvement with the D&D team made fun of this already.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Penny Arcade despite their heavy involvement with the D&D team made fun of this already.

With their ties to WotC and the live play games they run, I'm really curious if they will revisit this in comic form or just sweep it under the rug since they already voiced how loving absurd this would be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"they're turning D&D into a video game to cash in on casual popularity" happens to THIS edition of all things

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
to this day i'm not even sure to play this game....

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
"Each game is a best of 3 arena battle and played via Roll20."

So it's actually just a really lovely MOBA team battle and not even a race-to-the-dungeon-finish kind of deal? Jesus Christ am I going to have start using "roleplaying not rollplaying" unironically now? :psyduck:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

gradenko_2000 posted:

"they're turning D&D into a video game to cash in on casual popularity" happens to THIS edition of all things

I wish they actually would turn it into a video game. There hasn't been a CRPG that even made a token effort at faithful D&D rules since what, Temple of Elemental Evil?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sage Genesis posted:

"Each game is a best of 3 arena battle and played via Roll20."

So it's actually just a really lovely MOBA team battle and not even a race-to-the-dungeon-finish kind of deal? Jesus Christ am I going to have start using "roleplaying not rollplaying" unironically now? :psyduck:

Ah, the exciting game of "whoever gets the highest initiative wins."

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Will everyone be running the same pregen party? That seems the best way to make it 'fair' but at the same time it'd also make it just a matter of who got better initiative. On the other hand, letting people pick from a set of pregens will quickly lead to charopping the optimal pregens and then the match... still might just go to the highest initiative, unless there's plenty of weird terrain or something.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Why would anyone play this over, say, Frostgrave, or any other small team based skirmish miniatures game that were actually designed for that type of play? I’m so confused.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Since they're going with premades, what are the worst subclasses that they will absolutely choose?

Champion Fighter (Or is AK worse?)
Any Ranger
Berzerker Barbarian
Wild Mage (so someone has to look at a chart every round)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Quidthulhu posted:

Why would anyone play this over, say, Frostgrave, or any other small team based skirmish miniatures game that were actually designed for that type of play? I’m so confused.

Yeah this is wild. I played a decent amount of 40k kill teams and Infinity where the whole game is based around pvp. Those rulesets are loving airtight compared to 5e and people still tried to rules lawyer / RAW all sorts of shenanigans.

I can’t wait to see whatever abomination they’re playtesting.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Darwinism posted:

Will everyone be running the same pregen party? That seems the best way to make it 'fair' but at the same time it'd also make it just a matter of who got better initiative. On the other hand, letting people pick from a set of pregens will quickly lead to charopping the optimal pregens and then the match... still might just go to the highest initiative, unless there's plenty of weird terrain or something.

It sounds like there's going to be a MOBA-style pick/ban phase before they actually start playing. I still can't believe the pregens will be evenly balanced enough that it'll be anything other than "pick the best character before the other team can" though.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Since they're going with premades, what are the worst subclasses that they will absolutely choose?

Any Ranger
Berzerker Barbarian

Non-variant human anything.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quidthulhu posted:

I promise you their logic went no further than "d&d is popular, esports are popular, therefore d&d esports will be very popular"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Non-variant human anything.

I bet feats are not allowed except for the one human variant build, and they get Toughness.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/DnDSportsTV/status/1051941034429681666

:thunk:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I played competitive d&d one time. I was one-shot on the first round with guiding bolt. The game went on another 16 rounds while my teammate tried to not die. We lost.

what

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Sure hope I never read the phrase "D&D sex icon" ever again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jimmeeee posted:

Maybe they are more like 13th age icons?

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
D&D5e as a MOBA. My god what a dumb timeline.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Jimmeeee posted:

namechange NOW

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This is the bad place, isn't it?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mormonpartyboat posted:

its gonna be pvp arena battles

This is what the description they gave made it sounded like. It's hard to imagine that instead of competitive dungeon crawling though.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

This is what the description they gave made it sounded like. It's hard to imagine that instead of competitive dungeon crawling though.

why? it's probably the easiest implementation of the world's dumbest idea - this gives them an environment where the opportunity to take actions outside what the rules expect/need for DM adjudication is drastically curtailed and consistent rulings can be arrived at

if they use pregenerated characters they can even ape the form of MOBAs in terms of allowing picks/bans (and establishing "iconic" characters)

the fact that the game is in no way designed for this and it'll play out like a boring/badly designed miniatures game is beside the point

the part that will be extra funny is if/when they start designing the supplemental material around the PvP game

e:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Any Ranger
Berzerker Barbarian
there's really nothing that requires them to build the pregens using consistent standards, so I'd expect these to be made to look "good" through stat inflation and sufficiently powerful "iconic" magic gear/potion selection

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 16, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Maybe the matches will happen inside a Dungeon with a Dragon or something in it that hates both parties. Still probably not a great a idea, but that could help in making it a bit more interesting then just two parties fighting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe the matches will happen inside a Dungeon with a Dragon or something in it that hates both parties. Still probably not a great a idea, but that could help in making it a bit more interesting then just two parties fighting.

Lol you presume they’re creative enough for that

Note that they’re preselecting the teams, so you aren’t gonna get Joe Random with a brain. You’re gonna have a bunch of Actual Play promotion whores who are all sucking the 5e teat real bigly already. Just the usual PR “reality competition” poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

In fairness that question is asked about literally anything another game does better than D&D and the answer is pretty much always market share, network effects and brand recognition.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Is the newly advertised WotC game designer role linked to this development? Someone to come in, compartmentalize and take the fall if it goes to poo poo? Or more charitably, someone to develop a parallel version of 5e that can withstand a competitive environment.

I'm hoping they can compartmentalize these two different design objectives. Maybe it's leading into what they want 6e to be. Given the timing of the announcements it's most likely just a mess they are making up as they go along.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They're hosed. If there's any prize money involved, it can not be done without completely rewriting 5e. An action you receive as a bonus is not a bonus action is not going to fly. If this also brings down the DCI, they're completely hosed. WotC and Judges are not friends right now.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

clusterfuck posted:

Maybe it's leading into what they want 6e to be.

I cannot explain how happy I would be for them to just up and turn D&D into a focused dice rolling competitive MOBA. I wouldn't play it or pay attention to it, but if it turned into that I'd be happy.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I’m just shocked it’s not D&D Royale tbh but I guess that’s how behind the times they are with eSports.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

They're hosed. If there's any prize money involved, it can not be done without completely rewriting 5e. An action you receive as a bonus is not a bonus action is not going to fly. If this also brings down the DCI, they're completely hosed. WotC and Judges are not friends right now.

pish tosh! what would some card playing nerds know about proper DMing? sure they can follow the M:tG rules as written, but how does that prepare them to do on-the-fly game design? why not get special celebrity* DM(s) who were involved in the creation of 5e itself to make any necessary calls! much more exciting, and the community will love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Nitrousoxide posted:

Then again,

1 level dips in certain classes are super powerful.

A level 1 dip in cleric (with the right domain) can get you access to heavy armor and shields.

A level 1 dip in wizard gets you access to their spellbook to copy down all the level 1 wizard spells in there. You also get some cantrips

A level 1 dip in bard gets you jack of all trades and cantrips

For fighters, a 3 level dip into barbarian gets you access to the bear totem (resistance to nearly all damage while raging), rage, and the best unarmored defense in the game. (10 + DEX + Con)

There are a few other slight dips that are really powerful.

Nitrousoxide posted:

You actually get everything I mentioned there regardless of which order you take the class level in. Class abilities you get regardless of whether you take the class level later. It's only the proficiencies that are inherrent to the base class that are limited by multiclassing into it.

Cleric domains are specifically class abilities and not not part of the basic class, so any bonus proficiencies that come with the domain you get regardless. So the war domain will give you: Light armor, medium armor, shields (from the basic proficiencies from the multiclassing table) martial weapons and heavy armor, 3 cantrips, 2 first level spell slots, access to the ENTIRE list of first level cleric spells, and at least 2 spells prepared (because of the miniumum wisdom of 13 needed to MC into cleric you get the 1 prepared slot plus AT LEAST 1 one other slot, depending on your wisdom)

That's a much bigger boost to your ability set than taking an ASI or a feat, and you don't even have to completely forgo them, you just delay them (and your other main class abilities one level.

So I kind of skimmed this and ignored it the first time, it just seemed like some kind of bad opinions. But it was brought to my attention again and I actually read what you wrote.

You are wrong. On nearly all points.

1) Yes a Cleric can get heavy armor or martial weapons with certain Domains. This can be useful for some builds. It is not crazy OP or Broken or anything.

2) Taking a level of Wizard can get you their spellbook and their cantrips. And? The spellbook is mostly garbage, but required to be a Wizard. It is outright worse than what most spellcasters get, in a way. Yes you can add spells to it. For a lot of time and a LOT of gold. For what benefit? 1 level is going to limit you to just 1st level spells, and you will still need to prepare them in a slot. Yes the feature can be useful if you have the time and the gold, and know what you are going to be facing that day, for a WIZARD. For a multiclass. No. You wasted a level and you should be ashamed.

3) ...A single level of Bard is not super useful. I notice you keep mentioning Cantrips like that is some crazy good thing. But the biggest issue here is that Bards do not get Jack of All Trades at 1st level. They need to be 2nd level for that, at which point it is not a single level dip. Also the real thing that makes Bard stand out as so good is their ability to take spells from other classes, which they don't get at all until 6th level at the earliest.

4) ... So you didn't mention it but a single level of Fighter can be useful for its Fighting Style. Not amazing or anything, but useful. But you somehow think that 3 levels, which is not a single level dip, would give you the Bear Totem ability of the BARBARIAN, and also Rage, and Barbarian Unarmored Defense which is a really bad AC setup, and most Barbarians would probably just use Medium Armor. So I am assuming you didn't mean that you get these features by taking 3 levels of Fighter. But I could be wrong. If you meant for fighting types, that is 3 freaking levels. That will rarely be worth it for most fighting types.

5) And finally most of those are not actually worth giving up an ASI or Feat. Certainly not by going hog wild multiclassing into multiple classes.

And trust me I have been trying out weird multiclass build since very early on in the Playtest.