Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1051806714939486208
That was the most pathetic Bradley Walsh impression I've ever heard, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Soothing Vapors posted:

My one complaint about the episode is that no one fell into Chekhov's Flesheating Water

like you can't tell me the water eats human flesh and then not tip the fat annoying gently caress into it by the end of the episode

I mean DW already has a precedent set for throwing people in acid baths

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the bedsheets said "timeless child"? thought they said "time lord mistrial".

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the bedsheets said "timeless child"? thought they said "time lord mistrial".

is tim shaw really... the valeyard???

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Tim Shaw is the Valeyard who is also the Rani who is also Susan who is also The Other

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just realized the one thing I'm really gonna miss from the Murray Gold era...his Gallifrey leitmotif

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well anyway. I don't get why people didn't think this felt like a Who episode. I was thinking that last week, but this felt almost stereotypically somewhat weakly written Who episode, with all the talk about pacifism and sticking together and guns being bad, and not living up to the concept. It was fine.
I think I welcomed the flying dishrags because it shows that from time to time they're still going to do whimsical fantasy stuff, even if they're pretty stupid for being an ultimate killing machine.
And I'm welcoming the little bits of continuity. They're not overwhelming the episode and it's far more interesting to slowly learn about a through line than to just repeat a catch phrase harder and harder or to cut away to a garden or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The thing with the killer cloths is that they have been done better in the Harry Potter series - in the supplemental book released for the Comic Relief charity ("Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", a book of all the monsters and creatures that exist in the universe) there is a creature known as the Lethifold, a large shadow that resembled a discarded black cloak or sheet, that slinks under your door, wrap itself around you, waits for you to suffocate then digests you right there in your bed. The only thing people see in the aftermath if they see anything at all is a shadow slinking out of the room, slightly thicker than it used to be.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Watched the 2 eps so far back to back and.. It's okay I guess? Most of this poo poo was already covered by other posters but whatever.

Not sold on the new Doctor yet. I think the costume is pretty good actually but holy poo poo do they not know how to shoot it or Jodie doesn't know how to rock it yet. Most scenes it looks like she's just wearing some nondescript grey coat over nondescript streetwear. I also feel like Jodie isn't really taking control of the scenes but this was a problem with Smith as well, his first few episodes he looked more like a short-lived companion and was a far cry from Tennant who stole every scene they let him in. Amy and Rory were upstaging 11 so hard it was hilarious. I still ended up liking 11 well enough and already like Jodie more than I liked Matt for most of his run so she'll probably just grow into it.

Not a fan of the dialogue so far and the pacing feels super rushed. Especially with the Doctor every conversation feels like she's fumbling through a bunch of pretentious or zany garbage just hoping it'll eventually lead to some weighty or cool punchline. On the other hand that does sound pretty Doctory so maybe it'll fix itself once Jodie properly settles into the role, and some of the lines do already land just right. With the exception of Tim Shaw's cheap foam halloween costume and the "oh hey there's cool poo poo over there, let's not look at it" the effects are greatly improved. Torn on the new opening since I love the callback to the original opening but other than that doesn't really do much for me.

There's too many companions. I don't really feel like Yaz has any meaningful reason to be around. Ryan is a pretty typical companion while Graham is actually a pretty cool companion and is nicely complimented by Ryan. That dynamic, although kinda ham-handed so far, works. None of this would really bother me that much but they're distracting from the new Doctor, who for me is already struggling to make an impression. If they wanted to slowly build up to 3 companions, fine, but I really think Jodie would benefit from having a chance to just loving run with it for a few eps with one or even none long-term companions.

Or it could just be the writer, director and editor are all hacks in which case disregard the rest of the post.

ps. The crystal poo poo all over the TARDIS looks dumb and bad. Cookie dispenser's a nice touch.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I think the pacing feels off partly because of the larger cast this season. Whenever the series blows everything up and starts again, it has always started small; typically introducing the companion first and, when it's also a new Doctor, that doctor in the second episode.

The story of Who is the companions, not the Doctor's - The Doctor is this crazy semi-unrelaitable genius space wizard, after all. It was Rose's story, then Martha, then Donna, then Amy's (Hell, didn't Moff actually have her actually monologue 'This is the story of Amy Pond' at the start and end of her run? Moff is not a subtle man), and so on. The Doctor isn't the main character, she's the inciting incident.

Now, we're meeting four new characters but the story doesn't really 'belong' to anyone. By the end of Rose, we knew who Rose was, and had an introduction through her to her family and life, but we didn't also get Micky and Capt. Jack running around in the Tardis from day one.

The smaller cast kept it simple in a show that's constantly having to introduce pretty out there characters, worlds and concepts. Without time to build the companions and their relationship with the Doctor, we don't as viewers have anybody we can particularly relate to yet. I suspect this episode will be a lot better on a re-watch, once we get to know the characters better. I enjoyed it, kinda, but in the same way I enjoyed something like The Hungry Earth. It was 45 minutes of perfectly good television I can't be arsed to ever watch again and will of completely forgotten about shortly after hitting post.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this. They could go the route something like Star Trek did to solve the same problem, and make it an ensemble show; this is the Yasmin episode, this is the Ryan episode (My title pitch; 'Snakes and Ladders'. Writes itself.), and so on. Or they could focus on making one character the main audience insert and having the other two be the Mickey/Rory/Capt Jack/Nardole of the group. Chibnall may not always be the most exciting writer around, but he knows how to craft a functional story and obviously has studied his craft, so he would of thought about this.

Also, calling it, Graham will bite it from Checkov's cancer, and Ryan will call him 'Grandad' as he dies.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Azhais posted:

Even without the rampant weapon systems trying to kill them, it's 3 years without water that won't eat you or food of any variety

What would have been cool would have been some Timey Wimey stuff.

"OK...you 3 leave me in this room. I'm going to put myself in a Time Lord Trance and meditate for 3 years. I won't need water or food."

"But what about us?"

"Once 3 years are up, I'll get my TARDIS, go back in time 3 years and rescue you tomorrow."

"How will we eat? What will we drink."

"Don't worry. I'll get you in 3 years. Oh yeah, when you die, make sure you do it where I won't see your bodies. As long as I don't see you, your deaths aren't a fixed event!" :haw:

Then again typing that I realized they basically did the same thing in The Girl Who Waited... :shrug:

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1051806714939486208
That was the most pathetic Bradley Walsh impression I've ever heard, sorry

LOL @ the "Broadchuch" one.

"Mark. Danny Lat i mer. I'm the Doctor."

Mameluke posted:

Though I thought it a bit funny they went out of their way to explain how they can talk and why the aliens look human, but forgot that 13 couldn't have left Pythagoras's shades in her new pockets since her old outfit's were empty last week.

Wait, so you're saying those weren't Audrey Hepburn's/Pythagoras' shades and were instead something she grabbed from the thrift shop? Are you perhaps implying that many times when the Doctor namedrops about some incident with a famous historical person it's not entirely true? Do you mean that possibly:

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I had a weird flashback to The Keys of Marinus with this episode, including a deadly lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o558CLSNI4w

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Posting without reading from when the episode aired to go in fresh:

I really liked this episode! This is going to be a fun season, I think. We're starting to see companions not get a ton of screen time (Yaz, this time), but they don't feel the need to shunt them away or capture them. I like the small interactions between Graham and Ryan and between Ryan and Yaz. I thought Thirteen had Eight vibes in the first episode, but I think I see the Ten vibes in this one. The one-off characters were very RTD, but not in a bad way. The thing that makes the show feel the most different, really, is losing Murray Gold, but I like the way that Akinola seems understated, but plays with things, like incorporating the TARDIS wheezing sound into the triumphant music when it returns.

When Thirteen said "Oh, you've re-decorated!" I knew, immediately, that she was going to say something like "I like it!" and basically wink at the camera, and I was inwardly groaning, but something about the way Jodie Whitaker delivered "I really like it!" just made me smile. It sort of helps to set the tone for her Doctor. The TARDIS isn't my favorite design, but I like it, and I'm happy it's back.

So far, if I have any complaints, it's that I haven't been terribly impressed by any of the threats they've faced. Nothing has really filled me with a Vashta Narada sort of sense of dread or made me said "I can't wait until Big Finish gets to play around with this one!" Also, the pause and then "Or come to mommy" is a line I could have done without, but hey, whatever.

I thought we weren't doing season arcs or anything this time around, but it seems like "the Child Lost to Time" is going to be a thing. Question: ]: I sort of missed this (the baby was crying enough that I rewound over it enough times to give up on trying to figure it out) - was the hostile planet designed by the Tim Shaw race of aliens? Is that what Graham and the Doctor were talking about?

I'm happy they're taking a break from the regular Who monsters this season, but I do hope that next season, Chibnall gets to do his take on some returning villains. I think he'd do pretty well with the Master or the Sontarans, maybe even the Rutans.

Preview chat:

The next episode is uh... well, let's just say there are a lot more ways to gently caress it up than there are to do it right. I'm going to have my cringe food ready.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hmm... it seems other people didn't like it as much. Adjusting my perception to the thread consensus so that the next person who disagrees with many of the posts can call me "You people" and accuse me of some sort of hivemind conspiracy. Going to be hard, because I enjoyed it a lot, but as we all know, this thread is in complete agreement on everything, so I'll have to fall in line.

e: also, god help me, I've had trouble playing video games with a newborn, watching new TV shows is frustrating, I can only read when he's napping, and I already re-watched The Wire, so.... I'm rewatching New Who. Please pray for me.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 16, 2018

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Nah gently caress em. It’s a great episode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I do wish this one had been a longer episode like the premiere was. Might have given some of the disparate elements (Space WMDs, The Race, Death Water, etc) a little bit more room to breathe

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
This new Doctor is the most space wizard feeling Doctor yet. And I like it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I thought we weren't doing season arcs or anything this time around, but it seems like "the Child Lost to Time" is going to be a thing. Question: ]: I sort of missed this (the baby was crying enough that I rewound over it enough times to give up on trying to figure it out) - was the hostile planet designed by the Tim Shaw race of aliens? Is that what Graham and the Doctor were talking about?

I'm guessing the "10 standalone episodes" just means there are no literal two-parters, not that there's not going to be a recurring foe or a season arc or anything.

And yeah, the big reveal was that the Tim Shaw Gang (who are actually called the Stexils or something?) were the ones who abducted scientists to develop superweapon after superweapon.

Also I'm guessing they did not leave the best superweapons behind on a dead planet, the robots were probably what they were using to guard the scientists, and the Evil Cloth may well have been the Tim Shaw Gang equivalent of the F-35.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BSam posted:

Nah gently caress em. It’s a great episode.

Agreed. Like I said initially I think it could have done with being either 15 minutes longer or with having 10 minutes cut, but the stuff it did well it did really well and the stuff it didn't do that great is stuff I don't care that much about.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Agreed. Like I said initially I think it could have done with being either 15 minutes longer or with having 10 minutes cut, but the stuff it did well it did really well and the stuff it didn't do that great is stuff I don't care that much about.

Yeah, it's this. Like, horrible monster-water would normally have been demonstrated by some expendable character refusing to follow the Doctor's request not to go near the water, and getting monster-watered, and it felt less like a threat when it was just continuously explained and not demonstrated, but all things considered, that's a minor complaint.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it's this. Like, horrible monster-water would normally have been demonstrated by some expendable character refusing to follow the Doctor's request not to go near the water, and getting monster-watered, and it felt less like a threat when it was just continuously explained and not demonstrated, but all things considered, that's a minor complaint.

Yeah. Although I'm actually pleased that, particularly after the body count last week, the Doctor got them all through a lethal environment with no one dying. Still a bit too heavy on the telling rather than showing.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's not Timeless child, it's Timless child. The son of the first episode's bad guy wants revenge after his dad got teleported to his space-bedroom and melted in front of his eyes.

It could happen :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
By the way, very good news for Jodie:

https://twitter.com/drwhospace/status/1051860992173465601?s=21

The last episode to do as well was “Time of the Doctor”.

The last non-special to do as well was City of Death. Which was helped by ITV being on strike.

She even bagged the number one spot for the week, being the fifth episode to do so after “Journey’s End”, both parts of The End of Time, and “Day of the Doctor”.

It’s also the highest rated New Doctor story ever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

uvar posted:

It's not Timeless child, it's Timless child. The son of the first episode's bad guy wants revenge after his dad got teleported to his space-bedroom and melted in front of his eyes.

It's the Borad! it's all a prequel to Timelash.

My logic being, he was melty too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

uvar posted:

Oh god, if this were Moffat, the whole reason the Stenza are pissed and on a universal rampage during the season is somehow because of the Doctor space-melting Tim Shaw in the first place. Season finale is them going back in time and stopping themselves from killing him. Also saving private Ryan’s gran.

It could still happen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the voices were just calling her the Timeless Child? That's how it seemed to me anyway. :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

Maybe the voices were just calling her the Timeless Child? That's how it seemed to me anyway. :shrug:

That was my assumption too, but with my time away from the show I'm basically a newbie (Whobie?) so I couldn't tell if that was a callback.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TinTower posted:

Holy gently caress.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

That was my assumption too, but with my time away from the show I'm basically a newbie (Whobie?) so I couldn't tell if that was a callback.

I'm pretty sure any other suggestion, on this page at least, is in jest. Mine certainly was.

(Oh, and FYI, the Borad is a terrible villain from one of the worst Doctor Who stories ever made, Timelash. A serial whose most notable quality is that its name is an anagram of "Lame poo poo".)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

Oh my sainted aunt! I'd figured a shift change after a hiatus would have some people watching, but it's almost hard to argue against this being the casting decision. It bodes really well for future casting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I want to know how ratings play out over a couple episodes though. Sometimes there is really massive falloff (I think Capaldi had that, for example)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
(borad voice) my wife

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corn in the bible posted:

I want to know how ratings play out over a couple episodes though. Sometimes there is really massive falloff (I think Capaldi had that, for example)

Looks like the overnight figures for the second episode was a little over 7 million (the first episode's corresponding figure was 8 million) so it looks a good chunk of the new (or returning?) viewers were intrigued enough to stick around :)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Eh, I wouldn't say anyone on here has raised an invalid criticism, but I can't help having enjoyed the new season so far. I even like the new TARDIS.

Graham is giving me major Wilf vibes. Obviously he's no Cribbins, because who is, but it's fun having the older male companion along.

Edit: Meant to add, second stories for new doctors are always weird, not necessarily terrible, not amazing. Look at New Earth, for example. Everyone's still kinda finding their feet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

"Highest rated ever" is still one hell of a thing, even if it experiences more than the average after-first-episode drop-off (and this wasn't even the first episode!).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In case you were wondering, the previous record holder was “Rose”, with 10.81m and just below that, Robot with 10.8m.

A final rating in the high eights for The Ghost Monument is both probable and would be a very good result.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

precision posted:

I had a lot of trouble hearing what they were saying but that's what I thought too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Subtitles said Timeless Child, capitals and all.

Astroman posted:

What would have been cool would have been some Timey Wimey stuff.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The sheer size of the crew in this episode didn’t allow much time for the Doctor to shine. The three recurring companions are fine but the spaceship people couldn’t hold my attention.

I haven’t talked about Doctor Who in a long time and I didn’t watch the last series until just this summer to catch up. I’ll just say Bill is just behind Donna in good companions and it’s amazing they made me eventually sad to see Capaldi go given that his first season was so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SimplyCosmic posted:

I had a weird flashback to The Keys of Marinus with this episode, including a deadly lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o558CLSNI4w

I thought this as well