Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

a citizen who has issues with minorities?

helllll yaaaaaaa

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

kilus aof posted:

Also all CIG has to do to disprove us 'haters' and our groupthink is to release a game.

but then the haters will become the griefers

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kilus aof posted:

Also all CIG has to do to disprove us 'haters' and our groupthink is to release a game.

Realistically it wouldn’t stop there, but i’d grit my teeth as i aimed my space van at some space riches autism chariot before spouting some space Marx followed by ‘allah space ackbar’ and ululating my way through their windshield.

All space property is space theft.

Edit; f, beaten.

Hav fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 16, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I realize nobody has actually doxxed this guy yet but I think this is where I'm obligated to remind everyone that you don't have to compile dossiers on the weird reddit men and figure out where they buy their milk or whatever

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Goblin posted:

where they buy their milk or whatever

Why buy the jpeg when you can get the milk for free.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Goblin posted:

I realize nobody has actually doxxed this guy yet but I think this is where I'm obligated to remind everyone that you don't have to compile dossiers on the weird reddit men and figure out where they buy their milk or whatever

Not my real space dad.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I usually buy milk at publix, sometimes at winn dixie though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

did i doxx myself? is that bad?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

That's not really a cargo cult... Cargo cult is a group of people who take on the appearance of something, thinking that will give them the "magical" powers that something has.... It was coined when indigenous natives would build effigies of cargo planes....

No, that is expressly not what a cargo cult is. It's that very misconception that gives it the name. You obviously couldn't be bothered reading the link. Go back and read it.

I know of PJ's narrative theory, it has been applied to SC before, I wanted to look at it another way, we just don't have a better word than "cargo-cult" even though it's a problematic term.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

did i doxx myself? is that bad?

oh you're about to get sooooooooo many pizzas delivered

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

suspension goes away, 1 hope you're having a great day response and my man's already thinking a conspiracy is a foot

i love the imagination of citizens, it's never them that attracts this hazing, it's something much greater, something much more sinister

e- just to clarify, i am not running multiple reddit accounts, I mean im an idiot but that's a level of commitment that this in no way deserves

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Morphix, don't be a weirdo.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Goblin posted:

Can we still call him a oval office for being a Nazi?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Morphix posted:

suspension goes away, 1 hope you're having a great day response and my man's already thinking a conspiracy is a foot

i love the imagination of citizens, it's never them that attracts this hazing, it's something much greater, something much more sinister

e- just to clarify, i am not running multiple reddit accounts, I mean im an idiot but that's a level of commitment that this in no way deserves

Give it a rest man,noone cares.You're just prodding a mentally ill bees nest.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pull up, thread, pull up!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9oelfa/star_citizen_has_face_tracking_now_its_so_scary/

quote:

Star Citizen Has face tracking now! Its so scary, but also impressive! This will be a game changer for online interaction.

:yarg:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1b67-0Qf08

Here, have this.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SC_White_Knight's focus seems to have changed:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So I was trying to do one more night of PTU stuff before I gave up and waited for the anniversary sale, when they'll probably do a free fly and make some interesting things flyable. But when I spawned my Gladius it was not interactive. Like it was someone else's ship and I couldn't get into it. So I decided to see how the other half lived. I saw one of those super expensive new ships spawning on another landing platform and decided I'd go follow that guy around for a half hour and see what whales actually get up to these days.

It looked like his ship was not interactive either, because he was flying off the landing platform, levitating into the air, and then flinging himself at the front airlock over and over. Eventually he got it open, and I nipple-jetted over and showed him how to time it so you actually get through that airlock without the ship's gravity loving you up. (I got some practice at this while stealing hammerheads over the wekend). I saluted to show my noble intentions toward his chariot, and then toddled off to find a turret to sit in while I watched Chip Cheezum's MGS5 lp on my other monitor, occasionally glancing over to see what he did and take notes like Jane Goodall among the chimps. Here was his itinerary:

* About 10 minutes just kind of idling around Port Olisar. Never left the no-fire zone, did not interact with anyone else. There were 3-4 other players kind of just milling around the station in their ships as well.
* Then he flew to the HUR L2 point, which is an empty starfield with nothing in it that takes about 5 minutes to fly to. He kind of buzzed around there for a minute.
* Then he flew to the Crusader L2 point, which is the place where the only R&R stop is located. This was another ~5 minute flight.
* Then he kind of idled around the R&R stop, never leaving the no-fire zone. There were a bunch of other player ships doing the same thing here as well.
* Eventually he landed, then took off again, and continued circling

At that point it had been 40 minutes and at no point had he engaged in anything approaching gameplay. I saw way more rare and expensive ships tonight than I have in past days- it seems like the citizens who own those only spawn them to do laps around the stations. Is this... is this what Citizens actually do with their ships? Is it literally the WoW Goldshire Inn, in space? I'd compare it to teenagers cruising the strip in a small town, except nobody here is getting laid.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvzVO0FxT0

Launching tomorrow. Looks like a drat fun NMS clone. And oh. Star Fox.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ewe2 posted:

No, that is expressly not what a cargo cult is. It's that very misconception that gives it the name. You obviously couldn't be bothered reading the link. Go back and read it.

I know of PJ's narrative theory, it has been applied to SC before, I wanted to look at it another way, we just don't have a better word than "cargo-cult" even though it's a problematic term.

1. Just because a guy wrote a blog post with a theory? k, cool story. It is still the same phenomenon that doesn't really match up with jpeg spaceships, even though that guy has an alternate theory explaining the behavior.

2. So coin one instead of loading more onto a term that is already loaded.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Very simply it's transforming into an FPS game with some limited space flight sections. Limited as much as they can possibly be. Planetary foot action will make pretty big leaps and bounds of ability, and look super pretty. There will be huge tracts of land and player housing and lots of cool features... maybe.

But why???

The space game is very hard.

The FPS game is significantly less hard, and definitely more in-line with what CryEngine was designed to do out of the box.

The magic trick though will be keeping ship sales going on while showing off more and more FPS action and constantly telling people how great it will be and that it's also in space.

Once CIG can successfully make the transition from selling space ships to selling land-based stuff, they'll be in that golden zone. A lot more will get out, more people will be happy, more wallets will open up.

That's an interesting take. It does really seem like everything about cool spaceship gameplay is getting left in the dust bin. Everything about the Hurston demo seemed aimed at keeping you on the ground as much as possible. If space was the core of the game then it would make sense to have you spawn in your ship and for it be your home. Now though you have to spawn in your apartment and engage in a torturous commute on the ground just to get to a mission that is mostly FPS. They even talked about having to travel to a ground based hospital whenever you get injured. You can only really fly between a few points of interest. The ships just seem like a way to get from A to B and what they're going for is a Mass Effect Andromeda style RPG, just with a bigger sandbox.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 16, 2018

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

colonelwest posted:

CIG is definitely very analogous to a Cargo Cult in the way that its run, all of the aesthetic trappings of a successful AAA developer without any of those parts actually serving a function. The first thing Chris did was set up shop in LA, one of the most expensive places possible and then go on a obscene spending spree on Mocapping A list actors because he was trying to outdo Activision and COD. Then he set up an enormously expensive and wasteful international corporate structure spread across two continents and three countries, because that's what major publishers like EA do (mainly so they can juggle multiple projects). He filled those studios with dumb luxuries like a 20k espresso machine maned by a full time barista and filled them to brim with concept art, because that's what disruptive tech startups do. He then instituted a wasteful yearly convention for his nonexistent game, because successful MMO developers (who have actually released games) do that. Then came quarterly releases, because that's what successful companies do for already released multiplayer games. And the list just goes on and on.

The community however, is a combination of a modern tech cult that idolizes technical progress without any understanding of its realities and limitations, in the vein of crypto currency idiots, tech startup fetishists and multi-level marketing scams, and more traditional religious cults. Chris and CIG have secret knowledge and abilities that will bring forth unprecedented ground breaking innovations that will not only form the most disruptive and popular video game ever, but deliver them into a Matrix like simulation of life in space without boundaries, in which they can leave behind all of their real world failings and social isolation and become powerful and respected space men living lives of adventure and fulfillment... and trains lots of trains.

You coulda just said CIG was faking it till they made it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

I'd say we've been pretty vocally skeptical of 1/2/3. Not like, that it couldn't be done, but that each one would multiply the complexity of every other system in the game by an order of magnitude. If you have players in vehicles, that makes everything the vehicles do that much harder. If the player can ride another vehicle, inside the first vehicle, that makes it even worse. And so on.

Which has turned out to be exactly correct. They've managed to eke out a tech demo, but 4 years late and 150 million over their initial budget projections and they're still not done.

That's been CIG's whole problem. Chris has no head for the big picture. He has a million big ideas and he expects that if you just hammer on them hard enough, they'll coalesce into a working model of a game. That is where 90% of the disconnect between cultists and skeptics is, I think. Cultists are a lot like Chris at this point- they are extremely focused on the newest ship, the newest system. They aren't looking at the bigger picture of the game. The newest UI looks great! (You didn't update the 50 ship UI's from before it and it doesn't look like you ever will.) The new mining mechanics are amazing! (They only work on one ship, none of the others can even equip mining stuff.) That new planet is awesome! (It's so far away that only the newest ship in the game can reach it, and it isn't actually fully implemented.)

Etc etc for years and years and years.

In code, russian dolls are pretty difficult to make, especially if you want each layer to have its own orientation / gravity and other container poo poo. You will need to build tech from the ground up to track the data structures. Y'know what. CIG should've implemented blockchain technology to help with their OCS and russian doll syndrome.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Den of Geek: Star Citizen Raises Over $1 Million Following Alpha 3.3 Release

quote:

Ok, who keeps giving money to the Star Citizen team?

Following the release of the star-studded trailer for Star Citizen's Squadron 42 single-player campaign, Roberts Space Industries (the game's parent company) reported that they received $379,254 on October 10 and $600,000 over the next three days. This brings the game's lifetime funding total to an astonishing $195,768,020. If you measure its untraditional funding and release structure against the funding and release structure of other games, then Star Citizen is currently the fourth most expensive game ever made.

Before we go any further, it should be noted that this astonishing amount can be attributed to more than just the release of a trailer. Star Citizen's alpha 3.3 was released to the game's public test servers. It's a somewhat substantial release (at least in the context of this game) that not only kicked off the start of CitizenCon (arguably the world's largest fan convention for something that barely exists) but included the release of content like the ability to map voice and facial features as well as some new ships.

It's certainly worth mentioning that one of those ships (the Anvil Valkyrie dropship) costs $330. Humorously, depending on your perspective, buying that ship doesn't grant you access to the game itself.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvzVO0FxT0

Launching tomorrow. Looks like a drat fun NMS clone. And oh. Star Fox.

That's the one with the toyiffic spaceship controller you have to plug parts into, yes?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Just to give reddit the benefit of the doubt and everything the current top comment here is actually very sound advice.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Give it a rest man,noone cares.You're just prodding a mentally ill bees nest.

Pretty much this, and it’s better to watch the inevitable meltdown rather than be part of the meltdown. They’ll literally barbeque one of their own for voicing an opinion, and there’s enough randoms that blaze a fiery trail across the subs to perpetuate the myth of our ubiquity and reach.

If you stare into the abyss, it’ll cover you in poop and nobody wants to stand next to someone covered in poop.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

That's the one with the toyiffic spaceship controller you have to plug parts into, yes?

Yes, I preordered the digital version off the e-shop $80, which gives you all the ships / pilots / dlc. Will probably buy Star Fox (toy) for my son for Christmas.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

big nipples big life posted:

Morphix, don't be a weirdo.

a fantastic point

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Morphix posted:

a fantastic point

just a tip from your old uncle nipples.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Current Haul of Citizen's Conned : $ 1,444,879.00

:rip:
Dogeh 1.2M
monkeytek I'm guessing $1.44 million
Morphix 1.3mil
nawledgelambo I can't find the post because of all the third reich heiling about, but put me down for 1.15mil

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Top 4 baby!

e please refer to me as The Roberts Whisperer from now on tia

Morphix fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 16, 2018

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
just gonna leave this gem here...

https://clips.twitch.tv/HyperObeseClipsmomBibleThump

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Goblin posted:

The enemy in this case being... Chris Roberts? I don't think he thought that all the way through lol

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"

-Heinz Guderian, a literal Nazi

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I wasn't even looking at the face. I was looking at the janky animations on the other guy and how he teleported small distances when running.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://clips.twitch.tv/SwissSincerePrariedogWOOP

It works I guess?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hav posted:

If you stare into the abyss, it’ll cover you in poop and nobody wants to stand next to someone covered in poop.

My friend, have you seen the Internet? The reams of erotic fan fiction out there about standing next to Sherlock Holmes covered in poop beg to differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Star Citizen is going to be one of those games that is fun to watch other people play, but I'm never going to want to play it myself.