Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Labes for days posted:

My son watches that Total Drama garbage and frankly I would take endless reruns of TTG over it any day.

At least Teen Titans has an actual theme song and not BA DA DADADA BA DADADA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking of, I got through the first half of the TTG movie now that it's on streaming, and my favorite part is that the Titans end up doing their jobs and defeating the villain in a thoroughly competent way, because, basically, they were so offended at not being taken seriously that they concentrated for a hundred and twenty seconds and immediately won.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Teen Titians (at least in Go, I don't know about the original show or comics) are actually really strong. Starfire's eye blasts pack a major punch, Beast Boy can transform into a elephant or gorilla or something stuper strong, Cyborg hides a seemingly neverending supply of gigantic heat-seeking missles and a gigantic hydraulic mallet in his body, and can fly fast enough that he can do the turn-the-world-to-reverse-time trick from the Superman movie. Robin has all of Batman's combat and ninja skills and gadgets (so he's comparatively unless), but Raven's magic skills that let her do pretty much anything she wants are crazy OP. My favorite ability of hers is that she can magic a portal to an alternate, inescapable universe and drop someone into it.

Of course, she uses the portal almost exclusively for garbage disposal and, occasionally, Terra imprisonment.

Basically if the Titans got their poo poo together they could probably take on the worst Apokolips has to offer and then head back to Earth to gently caress up the Justice League's day too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of, I got through the first half of the TTG movie now that it's on streaming, and my favorite part is that the Titans end up doing their jobs and defeating the villain in a thoroughly competent way, because, basically, they were so offended at not being taken seriously that they concentrated for a hundred and twenty seconds and immediately won.

wait which streaming is it on?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Didn't Cyborg solo Darkseid in one episode after throwing away the Green Lantern's power of constructing the Golden Girls?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Go exaggerates their abilities for comedy, but even in the original cartoon (the only Titans incarnation anyone cares about) they're powerful enough to carry the show on their own. Starfire is basically Superman with more lasers, Raven is superpowerful with the only caveat of potentially succumbing to her demonic heritage (she's basically Hellboy as mage instead of fighter), Robin is Shonen Hero Batman, Beast Boy is a tricky bastard who can turn into any animal that ever lived (his nastiest technique is to fly into your ear as something tiny then turn into a blue whale) and Cyborg is a walking war machine who's a member of the Justice League in most modern incarnations (because they needed a minority) (and a tech guy) (because Geoff Johns doesn't like John Stewart enough).

It's a weird case given the Justice League and The Batman cartoons were still going, so they couldn't use a lot of important characters or even directly acknowledge that Robin was Batman's sidekick.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Didn't Cyborg solo Darkseid in one episode after throwing away the Green Lantern's power of constructing the Golden Girls?

Yup, that's the one where he Superman reverses time. Repeatedly. After Raven Starfire gives Darkseid a cough drop to fix his scratchy throat. Turns out Darkseid sounds an awful lot like Weird Al Yankovic.

Teen Titans Go is pretty good, y'all.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

asecondduck posted:

Turns out Darkseid sounds an awful lot like Weird Al Yankovic.

Darkseid wishes he was that evil, though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Darkseid wishes he was that evil, though.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! WEIRD AL IS A NATIONAL TREASURE!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I find it kind of ironic that now that someone else is on top people are playing the "ugh, this show is so vapid and stupid" card that so incensed TTG and its fans now that the show is on the other foot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

asecondduck posted:

The Teen Titians (at least in Go, I don't know about the original show or comics) are actually really strong. Starfire's eye blasts pack a major punch, Beast Boy can transform into a elephant or gorilla or something stuper strong, Cyborg hides a seemingly neverending supply of gigantic heat-seeking missles and a gigantic hydraulic mallet in his body, and can fly fast enough that he can do the turn-the-world-to-reverse-time trick from the Superman movie. Robin has all of Batman's combat and ninja skills and gadgets (so he's comparatively unless), but Raven's magic skills that let her do pretty much anything she wants are crazy OP. My favorite ability of hers is that she can magic a portal to an alternate, inescapable universe and drop someone into it.

Of course, she uses the portal almost exclusively for garbage disposal and, occasionally, Terra imprisonment.

Basically if the Titans got their poo poo together they could probably take on the worst Apokolips has to offer and then head back to Earth to gently caress up the Justice League's day too.

Yeah, this is true, I just enjoy the fact that the movie is really open about the fact that they're primarily ineffective because they aren't trying very hard.

Also, it's on Google Play.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I've been consistent about TTG being pretty good.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Gabe being an rear end in a top hat to people (even Santa!) for no apparent reason throughout season 1 is even more entertaining in retrospect.

It does make you wonder why he never tried to akumatise Adrien, though. The kid is constantly miserable when he's at home, so no shortage of negative emotions! Plus Gabe knows that Ladybug will rescue him safe and sound if he doesn't get her miraculous, so it's a no-risk plan. (He's put Adrien in direct danger several times already, so it's not as if his "I must protect my precious son!" routine doesn't get tossed aside when it's convenient.)

According to Thomas Astruc the creator, Marinette will never be never akumatized because she's just too darn optimistic. Adrian will never be akumatized because he's so used to disappointment :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I appreciate this trend of modern cartoons singing the praises of The Golden Girls

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Oracle posted:

According to Thomas Astruc the creator, Marinette will never be never akumatized because she's just too darn optimistic. Adrian will never be akumatized because he's so used to disappointment :(

Not necessarily true - Marinette was nearly akumatised, but her teacher noticed the akuma, tried to fight it off herself to protect her student and her panic overrode Marinette's fury at Chloe as the stronger emotion.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

asecondduck posted:

I think I've been consistent about TTG being pretty good.

I've been watching it with my daughter, I think it's great. The premise allows for so much ridiculousness.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I find it kind of ironic that now that someone else is on top people are playing the "ugh, this show is so vapid and stupid" card that so incensed TTG and its fans now that the show is on the other foot.

It's how it always goes. Betcha in five or so years you'll have teens and young adults on the internet singing absolute praises about their favorite childhood show, TTG and how modern cartoons are just too dumb compared to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I've always liked TTG too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I've always liked TTG too.

:hmmyes:

I've always liked it more than the original version to take it one step further.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

:hmmyes:

I've always liked it more than the original version to take it one step further.

I've always liked it more than the original version and the movie is the best DC movie this decade.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

the movie is the best DC movie this decade.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd believe it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

asecondduck posted:

There was an episode where they decided to become villains, and they basically became immediately unstoppable

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I've always liked it more than the original version and the movie is the best DC movie this decade.

Very low bar to clear there

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TwoPair posted:

Very low bar to clear there

I'd say it's a moderately high bar, because Wonder Woman came out this decade, but yeah.

Top 2 is a very low bar though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's hoping Shazam can eke out into the Top 3.

Also I hate that his new name is Shazam.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

my post isn't about whether anyone here has always liked TTG, I'm pointing out the irony in how people are kvetching about another show beating it in the ratings and how said show is getting browbeat about how dumb it is and how it'll probably be shown more than everything else.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rand Brittain posted:

I love how the Titans are maybe the most dark nihilistic characters ever even by the standards of DC in terms of the heinous things they do in the movie and they do it so casually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

my post isn't about whether anyone here has always liked TTG, I'm pointing out the irony in how people are kvetching about another show beating it in the ratings and how said show is getting browbeat about how dumb it is and how it'll probably be shown more than everything else.

Mostly I'm surprised Total Drama anything is still this popular, especially an incarnation that seems muddled in what audience it wants to be for.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

There was an episode where they decided to become villains, and they basically became immediately unstoppable

"You are killing it as our evil leader, my dude! It's like everything that made you seem crazy as a hero makes you awesome as a villain!"

I also really like Dick Gravestone as a villain name for Robin.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

"You are killing it as our evil leader, my dude! It's like everything that made you seem crazy as a hero makes you awesome as a villain!"

I always appreciated that they made their headquarters the Legion of Doom building.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Here's hoping Shazam can eke out into the Top 3.

Also I hate that his new name is Shazam.
Given how much Marvel’s made Shazam’s actual name mud I’ll be happy to use the acronym of the great heroes.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 15, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BioEnchanted posted:

Not necessarily true - Marinette was nearly akumatised, but her teacher noticed the akuma, tried to fight it off herself to protect her student and her panic overrode Marinette's fury at Chloe as the stronger emotion.

Well the main reason she won't be akumatised, is because that is an auto lose condition.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given how much Marvel’s made Shazam’s actual name mud I’ll be happy to use the acronym of the great heroes.

Zeus was a great hero? Also Marvel is making a Captain Marvel film so idk how you can call it mud

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Honestly I'm surprised either comic company is bothering making a movie out of their respective Captains Marvel considering how confusing the name is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the main reason she won't be akumatised, is because that is an auto lose condition.

I like Hawkmoth's theoretical place in the hero pantheon in general - Cat Noire is a wildcard WMD who can destroy anything with a touch, Ladybug makes sure no lasting harm is done in the aftermath, and Hawkmoth is a General, with the ability to create and command an army of temp heroes in a pinch if needed. It just so happens that his despair has turned him into Rita Repulsa.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

Hawkmoth is a General, with the ability to create and command an army of temp heroes in a pinch if needed. It just so happens that his despair has turned him into Rita Repulsa.
There's an S1 episode (can't remember which) where Hawk Moth's weekly rant o' defeat has him going on about he's eventually going to defeat Ladybug and Cat Noir and RULE THE WORLD!!!, which felt odd at the time and seems even more out of character now we're getting a handle on his true motives.

And Marinette only avoided being akumatised by sheer luck - which admittedly is kind of appropriate for her alter ego.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

The Total Drama franchise was always played because it was cheap Canadian made media that filled a legal quota more than being a good toon. I don't ever know if it had a real audience either side of the Yukon or was just watched because CN religiously shoved that thing on air during the Dark Times of CN Real until even today, but its right up there with Johnny Test, George of the Jungle, My Dad the Rock Star, Almost Naked Animals, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and 6Teen/Stoked in terms of garbage. Particularly when Total Dramarama or whatever its called has dug up the 90s tactic of turning their cast into infants because they've done everything else.

Give me reruns of Ed, Edd and Eddy, Atomic Betty, The Raccoons, or poo poo - even Rocket Robin hood if they need something YTV/Teletoon defecated on the schedule.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i've always liked TTG and kinda considered the silver lining of the whole CN situation to be that, hey, at least the show they're clogging it with is kinda decent

Total Drama, meanwhile, uuuuugggghhhhhhhh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

Which episode is this?

I actually enjoy TTGo a bit, just there's so goddamn much of it and feels like the good episodes have to be sorted from the chaff.

And Total Drama always seemed like it emulated reality TV a little too well given it basically occupies the same niche of mediocre slot-filler with inexplicable dedicated fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also the fact that Total Dramarama retains the whole confessional thing, despite having basically abandoned all pretense of a reality show conceit. Which is weird.