Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LesterGroans posted:

It's not worse than Iron Fist, but it does drag out of the gate, which is odd. Black Scarf Daredevil seemed like a good sign, but It's front-loaded with a lot of the Netflix MCU stuff I hate. Like, I do not get their obsession with cops and FBI agents when they're so, soooo bad at writing them.

Luckily it picks up in episodes 3-6, so I'm hopeful for the back half of the season. The fight that they said would top the hallway fight doesn't (it's fine but it's below season 1's hallway fight, season 2's hallway/stairwell fight and season 2's Punisher prison fight), but there's a really tense and entertaining fight in episode 6.

Where were you able to watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Barry Convex posted:

Iron Fist is just fundamentally not “grounded” in the same sense as the other Netflix Marvel properties, even if the character has tended to be portrayed as a street-level hero in the comics. That Marvel insisted on a more grounded approach is probably why they couldn’t find a showrunner more competent than Scott Buck in the first place.

That's true and I think I worded my point wrong. I think the Netflix shows in general are better when they focus on the more grounded elements of the characters. Like, DD was at its worst when they spiraled into zombie ninja territory and got away from Frank and WIlson. Defenders and Iron Fist, probably the two least "grounded" properties they've tackled, are widely seen as the least successful shows.

Hopefully I'm making sense here.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BiggerBoat posted:

Where were you able to watch it?

Screeners through work.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

On one hand I'm cool with them rolling in Danny to Luke Cage and doing Heroes For Hire but the other hand it sucks that we gotta shoe horn white people (assuming Ward comes with Danny) into the only the black show.

Colleen can totally come on board though. I would honestly be fine with them axing Defenders/Iron Fist then putting LCs3 on hold if got us Daughters of the Dragon though 🤷🏾‍♀️

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LesterGroans posted:

It's not worse than Iron Fist, but it does drag out of the gate, which is odd. Black Scarf Daredevil seemed like a good sign, but It's front-loaded with a lot of the Netflix MCU stuff I hate. Like, I do not get their obsession with cops and FBI agents when they're so, soooo bad at writing them.
I think they feel like they have to justify the fact that all their "heroes" are serial felons by giving them implicit approval from law enforcement. I don't know if this is what you're talking about as far as Daredevil S3 but it's one of those other things that makes no sense in "grounded, real world" scenario but they feel obligated so it doesn't feel so comic book-ey. Jessica Jones S2 had her actually get arrested and not immediately released by a sympathetic detective which was actually unusual. Misty was the only cop in all the shows I actually like and she's a super powered criminal puncher now too.

I'm getting so tired of Hell's Kitchen. It's midtown and everyone hates midtown, especially the people who are from there. They also should have done Iron Fist in Flushing since it's way bigger than the like 15 square blocks that is Manhattan Chinatown.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Koalas Massacre posted:

On one hand I'm cool with them rolling in Danny to Luke Cage and doing Heroes For Hire but the other hand it sucks that we gotta shoe horn white people (assuming Ward comes with Danny) into the only the black show.

Yeah that is a bummer but I absolutely love the dynamic between Danny and Luke. I hope they find somewhere for the IF people.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

qirex posted:

I think they feel like they have to justify the fact that all their "heroes" are serial felons by giving them implicit approval from law enforcement. I don't know if this is what you're talking about as far as Daredevil S3 but it's one of those other things that makes no sense in "grounded, real world" scenario but they feel obligated so it doesn't feel so comic book-ey. Jessica Jones S2 had her actually get arrested and not immediately released by a sympathetic detective which was actually unusual. Misty was the only cop in all the shows I actually like and she's a super powered criminal puncher now too.

I'm getting so tired of Hell's Kitchen. It's midtown and everyone hates midtown, especially the people who are from there. They also should have done Iron Fist in Flushing since it's way bigger than the like 15 square blocks that is Manhattan Chinatown.

Good news, they are flushing iron fist! :v:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's definitely strange since it seemed like they were essentially rebooting the series with Coleen as Iron Fist this go around and were leaning towards making Danny a very secondary character.

I don't think this is some Disney ploy to reboot Iron Fist on the Disney streaming service though because IF would be the worst property to try and do that with; I mean good from the standpoint it could be done better but I don't see a huge upside to doing it better. It seems like Disney is going to be content to bring in bigger talent for short mini-series and that's better for everyone involved then them trying to redo Iron Fist, or even continue it while having to ignore the Netflix content.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

Almost none of the Hell’s Kitchen scenes in any of the shows are filmed in Midtown. Also, Iron Fist eventually ended up being banned from Manhattan Chinatown in S2 so they had to film in Flushing a lot lol.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 13, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gorelab posted:

I mean my problem with the CW shows is they often want to be super depressing for no reason. Legends is good because it just goes 'gently caress it this is goofy bullshit.' and Black Lightning is good because it does a better job with the drama.

This might sound bizarre, but I feel like Black Lightning feels so grounded because it doesn't try and be grounded.

A lot of Marvel, and especially Iron Fist spends ages trying to rationalise the unrealistic, and end up either massively contrived or constantly winking at you about how unrealistic it is, and it feels tacky. Black Lightning throws creepy twins, lightning guns, weird sci-fi tailors etc at you constantly, and it's barely commented on as unusual, because that's just how this world works. It's just so casually comic-bookey, and I love it. Especially when a dude called the White Whale has Moby-Dick prominently on his desk and nobody ever mentions it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

did anyone say the most cancelled Iron Fist yet

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pr0p posted:

I hope this causes a domino effect that changes the way Marvel makes these series. I can't do another 13 hours of story that could be condensed into half that.

I'm gonna iron fist punch my head off.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna iron fist punch my head off.

I’m assuming you’re laying down if your head is on the floor

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Almost none of the Hell’s Kitchen scenes in any of the shows are filmed in Midtown. Also, Iron Fist eventually ended up being banned from Manhattan Chinatown in S2 so they had to film in Flushing a lot lol.

Compelled to ask how/why these guys got banned from manhattan chinatown

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

qirex posted:

Forget Hell's Kitchen, I'm getting tired of New York as the default setting of every Marvel thing. Just let a villain blow up the city so we can move on to somewhere else.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 15, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Marvel's Fargo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not sure what a Netflix Great Lakes Avengers series would be but it would sure be something.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

LinYutang posted:

Forget Hell's Kitchen, I'm getting tired of New York as the default setting of every Marvel thing. Just let a villain blow up the city so we can move on to somewhere else.

I feel the same way, I know Marvel has a hard on for New York but a change of location would do the shows some good. Kun Lun doesn't count gently caress that place.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Compelled to ask how/why these guys got banned from manhattan chinatown

Filming anything is a very loud and disruptive thing: diverting pedestrians and traffic, taking up painfully-needed parking, dressing the sets, etc so you can film your 1-5 minutes of tv show or movie per 14+ hour day. getting permits to do all of that is a semi-democratic process (they’re issued by the mayor’s office with input from the community boards) and that process finally had enough of iron fist’s requirements of the very small area of manhattan Chinatown. I’m not sure if any of it was hot-zoned (which bars anything from shooting in defined areas unless you throw a ton of cash around) because there have been a ton of things shooting down there besides IF in the past two years or it was a specific ban on IF by the mayor’s office/community board

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

docbeard posted:

I'm not sure what a Netflix Great Lakes Avengers series would be but it would sure be something.

Chicago is half the reason why Dark Knight looks so unique and cool

Hell, Detroit actually has the gritty character that they pretend NYC still has

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 15, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I looked it up, half of the most photogenic parts of manhattan Chinatown are now hot zones, the other half is special permission only (I.e. :tenbux:).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It’s hard to understate how much room filming takes up in a crowded-rear end city like NY. You need to park at least 8 semis + additional cast trailers and trucks and then clear parking for both sides of 1-2 city blocks for picture (bigger for more involved and/or stunt scenes) per location. God help you if it’s a period piece or major tourist attraction

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LinYutang posted:

Chicago is half the reason why Dark Knight looks so unique and cool

Hell, Detroit actually has the gritty character that they pretend NYC still has

Yeah, I'd rather see another marvel show set in literally any other town on the planet than NYC.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, I'd rather see another marvel show set in literally any other town on the planet than NYC.

convince your state to give film productions outlandish tax incentives :ssh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They can come film in Sweden, we have outrageous film subsidies.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jessica Jones would be great in Philly. I see her sitting in a bar, bleary-eyed, saying, "Holy poo poo, is that how I've been treating people all this time? Is that how I make people feel? I mean, Jesus-- they threw batteries at him. And laughed about it."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jessica Jones would be great in Philly. I see her sitting in a bar, bleary-eyed, saying, "Holy poo poo, is that how I've been treating people all this time? Is that how I make people feel? I mean, Jesus-- they threw batteries at him. And laughed about it."

Jessica: I've told you, I'm done. I'm not getting involved.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senor Tron posted:

"Bill Burr was right, you people SUCK!"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

This is a crossover I need to see.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You do wonder why anyone in the MCU would want to live in New York at this point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At least watchers wouldn’t get mad at her for saying ‘hoagies’ if the show was set in Philly.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Senor Tron posted:

I'd watch it, especially if they let that group write it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tom Guycot posted:

Not enough people in this thread have watched the excellent and actually good Cloak and Dagger, set in New Orleans.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How are Luke Cage and Iron Fist's second seasons in general? I just finished JJS2, and it was mostly a boring slog, which is a shame because the first season was my favorite of the Netflix shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're both notable improvements over their first seasons. LC is good and IF is fun at the very worst.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
LC Season 2 was pretty good. Same problem as always where 10 episodes could have done the job instead of 13 but overall really solid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think either season puts their best foot forward -- Luke Cage's opener is actively bad, Iron Fist's is fine though -- but they build to fun things. LC is the more ambitious, and a tendency to use its running time for interesting side stories and tangents, like the lawyer episode, or episode 10's reverse MacBeth. Iron Fist is confident and propulsive all the way through, but it's not aiming as high with what it's doing.

They're both better than their premier seasons (which wouldn't be hard, in either case).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think either season puts their best foot forward -- Luke Cage's opener is actively bad, Iron Fist's is fine though -- but they build to fun things. LC is the more ambitious, and a tendency to use its running time for interesting side stories and tangents, like the lawyer episode, or episode 10's reverse MacBeth. Iron Fist is confident and propulsive all the way through, but it's not aiming as high with what it's doing.

They're both better than their premier seasons (which wouldn't be hard, in either case).

Luke Cage's villians are the worst in all of the netflix marvel.
Worse than the Foot Clan by a country mile.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Foot Clan is awesome, don't sully their good name by association with the Hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Parkingtigers posted:

Not enough people in this thread have watched the excellent and actually good Cloak and Dagger, set in New Orleans.

I didn't even know this existed.