Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they have continually done it since inception 93 years ago when peeps did this

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-curse-of-the-diaeresis posted:

We do change our style from time to time. My predecessor (and the former keeper of the comma shaker) told me that she used to pester the style editor, Hobie Weekes, who had been at the magazine since 1928, to get rid of the diaeresis. She found it fussy. She said that once, in the elevator, he told her he was on the verge of changing that style and would be sending out a memo soon. And then he died.

This was in 1978. No one has had the nerve to raise the subject since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sagebrush posted:

i also spotted an acute accent in there somewhere on a word that normally doesn't have one but i couldn't search for it bc chrome apparently doesn't differentiate between e and é

Haha I noticed this too, "o" and "ö" are treated the same.

Hmm I don't think so Google.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 16, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

don't care, language changes, they don't write chirurgeon or garlick or mirrour so why the making GBS threads gently caress do they keep that particular one?

oh, right, because the occasional non-english characters are just delightfully eccentric :fuckoff:

i also spotted an acute accent in there somewhere on a word that normally doesn't have one but i couldn't search for it bc chrome apparently doesn't differentiate between e and é

e:

they write it "reëlect" for christ sake

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the communications department where i work adheres to some dipshit chud style guide that has determined that the oxford comma is improper and incorrect and i am loving livid about it

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Roosevelt posted:

the communications department where i work adheres to some dipshit chud style guide that has determined that the oxford comma is improper and incorrect and i am loving livid about it

Have you considered leaving copies of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves around their work areas?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

oh, right, because the occasional non-english characters are just delightfully eccentric :fuckoff:

It kind of makes sense. The diaeresis (not the umlaut) is used to point out that two sequential vowels are pronounced separately. So coöperate should sound differently from poop.

It does look super odd, but it makes sense

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MononcQc posted:

It kind of makes sense. The diaeresis (not the umlaut) is used to point out that two sequential vowels are pronounced separately. So coöperate should sound differently from poop.

diæresis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MononcQc posted:

yes, but it's not required

like why not go full ipa -- then there's no ambiguity

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Roosevelt posted:

oxford comma loving owns, gently caress the haters. i've had report markup comments w/r/t deleting my oxford commas. idgi, it literally doesn't hurt to have around and always improves clarity or does nothing at worst.

also kill all chuds

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

i loving hate this part of their style guide

literally no other publication does it and it's stupid as poo poo and drives me bananas

playboy does it too. it's a standard shtick for trash rags to try to seem legitimate and intellectual

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also i'm born and raised american and i spell it grey for w/e reason, my brain just doesn't acknowledge gray as a spelling option and seems weird. i've also had report comments come back to change all "grey" to gray with "THIS IS AMERICA NOT ENGLAND!!!" once

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

literally no other publication does it and it's stupid as poo poo and drives me bananas

it's good because it makes all the Alex trimbolis mad

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
coördinateur

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

his $3 baseball hat, unpleasant delivery and lack of personal grooming overshadow whatever true things he is saying?

we finally fuckin did it gang... we found a schlubby computer guy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Xaris posted:

oxford comma loving owns, gently caress the haters. i've had report markup comments w/r/t deleting my oxford commas. idgi, it literally doesn't hurt to have around and always improves clarity or does nothing at worst.

also kill all chuds

oxford comma is good. not using it cost a local company here $5 million due to ambiguous contract language.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

also i'm born and raised american and i spell it grey for w/e reason, my brain just doesn't acknowledge gray as a spelling option and seems weird. i've also had report comments come back to change all "grey" to gray with "THIS IS AMERICA NOT ENGLAND!!!" once

british tabletop games had me spelling all kindsa things wrong until i was like 15

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

concrete is reinforced with steel in order to allow it to resist bending or tensile stress (concrete by itself doesn't really do bending)

so the question is whether whatever you're replacing the steel with is capable of doing that. i've never heard of it but i'm also not a structural guy, but from looking around it appears to be more of a composite material meant for applications needing weird chemical resistances or oddly high fatigue resistance, and it sounds like it's difficult to design with because it weighs and acts differently so i'm guessing it prolly falls short in other areas like ultimate strength (meaning using it makes your members larger to do the same thing), all of which indicates to me that it's much more expensive and specialized and too fiddly for general use

also you don't really need to go with stainless steel for rebar a lot of the time - it's much more common to simply coat the steel in a layer of protective epoxy before it goes in. tho stainless still gets used when that's not good enough or if you need it for a specific application like the room an MRI machine is gonna go in

i appreciate the insight; thanks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

the sky is grey. the code is gray. i feel ya

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hmmmm but i read a thing that said concrete is infinite lifespan and every reinforced concrete actually sucks and will crap out within a decade, im sure this is not just survivorship bias on roman architecture and a genuine reflection of the limit of the materials

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
greay

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Shaggar posted:

people who aren't in cars are unworthy of love

shaggar teaches computers to love and solves the trolley problem at the same time

Sagebrush posted:

stymieïng

Pile Of Garbage posted:

got my copy of bad blood yesterday and hot drat it's a page turner. almost polished off half the book over night, had to force myself to put it down and get some sleep! deffo yospos book of the year

read it in one day. Thinking about getting a copy for my doctor's office, no one there could believe it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

hmmmm but i read a thing that said concrete is infinite lifespan and every reinforced concrete actually sucks and will crap out within a decade, im sure this is not just survivorship bias on roman architecture and a genuine reflection of the limit of the materials

it’s true if you stick a metal bar through things it kills them. people, conversations, bridges, it’s all the same principle. rebar is a planned obsolescence conspiracy of the mafia-controlled construction industry

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

proest loving click dude

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also reminder that the only reason that we spell it "gray" not "grey", "center" not "centre", "color" not "colour" etc. is because noah webster wrote a spelling book which had everything changed on purpose because "america deserved its own language". he also invented spelling bees to get it drilled in the holes of every young kid

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I'll just be over here reading Fox News where they have headlines like "Immigrants cost each US citizen $50G per year"

loving G

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1051904464406401024

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

muckswirler posted:

I'll just be over here reading Fox News where they have headlines like "Immigrants cost each US citizen $50G per year"

loving G

is that gigadollars or gibidollars?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

dude where’s my carbs

this is a good post

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

also reminder that the only reason that we spell it "gray" not "grey", "center" not "centre", "color" not "colour" etc. is because noah webster wrote a spelling book which had everything changed on purpose because "america deserved its own language". he also invented spelling bees to get it drilled in the holes of every young kid
at least we spell and pronounce aluminum correctly

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

I hope the demise of Sears/Kmart means the city can finally scrape this fuckin thing off the map for cheap. weird to think that goddamn KMart was so hip and cool in the 70s (60s?) that they let them plonk one down on and erase a chunk of a major street but hey everyone had lead poisoning brain way worse back then I guess

That bridge leading nowhere / parking lot behind the Kmart is a work of art.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
such noble. many no evil. wow.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/16/google-sundar-pichai-china-search-engine/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

at least we spell and pronounce aluminum correctly

Ironically, you accidentally wrote it the wrong way.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

those who ignore history are doomed to be the new leaders of industry

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yeah it's a particular flavor of google x/hooli xyz villainous technologist that will justify any death or oppression of currently alive people by citing megadeath figures they cobble together out of statistics

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"it's okay that we crashed a rocket into an elementary school, killing hundreds of schoolchildren, think of how many lives we'll save by becoming an interplanetary society"

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

at least the sociopaths are trying, ok?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

british tabletop games had me spelling all kindsa things wrong until i was like 15

spelling it right IMO. people don't say gray and cray the same way and spelling ought to be allowed to change (back) to reflect that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Munkeymon posted:

spelling it right IMO. people don't say gray and cray the same way and spelling ought to be allowed to change (back) to reflect that

grey and cray rhyme, though.