Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

lol what the gently caress who at SI actually thought this looked nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is good, sometimes i forget to install a skin for a while and now they ensured i won’t make that mistake

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I like the new tactics screen and the phases, hopefully it's actually somewhat meaningful and not just lipstick on a pig. As for the new the tedious training screens and new skin :barf:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hope someone shits in the hot tub and you have to deal with the fall out between social groups

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Half the features look like stuff that was in ~15 years ago and were removed.

You used to be able to set positions and formations with/without the ball.

Training used to be a bit more of a high level weekly schedule with certain activities in blocks as well, from what I remember.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

This is genuinely the ugliest UI I've ever seen

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

kingturnip posted:

SI is staggeringly bad at building excitement for their games.
Compare them to Paradox, who put out regular Dev Diaries that trail (and sometimes tease) features for upcoming DLCs. The CK2 thread is champing at the bit for Holy Fury, despite there not being a release date for it yet.

Well yes, but Holy Fury has more features that look actually fun than the last 5 versions of FM.

Also the revelations about pace on the last page :laffo: FM is super broken but it's really the only game going so :shrug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It's not about looking nice it's about looking *on brand*.

Hopefully it won't survive the beta.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Stotty posted:

Half the features look like stuff that was in ~15 years ago and were removed.

You used to be able to set positions and formations with/without the ball.

Training used to be a bit more of a high level weekly schedule with certain activities in blocks as well, from what I remember.

Yeah, I came here to post about how they've gone back to Wibble/Wobble after all those years.
I mean, it's not an exact replica, but still.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jonnygabriel/status/1044915165773344769?s=21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
so is fm19 gonna be good or not? i haven't kept up with any of the feature releases so no clue if this will be worth getting or not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel that you dont know if it is good until you play enough that you can tell if the slight engine quirks drive you mad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

It's going to be as good as any of the last 10 iterations, with new but equally as frustrating match engine errors that won't get patched out for a good 6 months, additional mindless busywork and impressively inaccurate stats for any players in obscure leagues

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm optimistic that by 2026, assuming civilization hasn't collapsed by then, we'll get all the way back to the quality of regen faces FM enjoyed in 2012, and other games in 2004.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Judging by the livestreams this weekend, it seems like they're crunching really hard. That really sucks for them when you consider the biggest change this year has been: Purple. It's almost like the yearly release cycle for sports games is a dumb & bad idea.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I mean it's FM, other than a few iterations, every year is more of the same - just a new coat of paint. People will still buy it because we are psychologically wired to play new versions of whatever in this age of Steam games. Also, this is the only good football manager game around.

I probably won't get it this year because the reveals so far have been completely underwhelming. I might have gotten it if I was still playing online with my clan (lol yep, we had a clan of 10 or so people every year from FM12-15), but now my timezone is different so I can't be bothered.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The changes to tactical plans this year seem significant. Is that not a big deal?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Weedle posted:

The changes to tactical plans this year seem significant. Is that not a big deal?

Maybe?
I doubt they'll work as well as they're supposed to until next year's iteration and I can see the preset options being inferior to manual tweaking to a pretty hefty degree.
But I'll play it. I still miss the old WIBL/WOBL, but this might be a fun alternative.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
I mean, I'm definitely getting 19 because the last one I've owned on PC is 2014. I just feel bad seeing them crunch when the yearly model doesn't even seem to make that much sense for the series.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This will be the first one I’ve bought on PC so I can finally play it surreptitiously in a window at work, as God intended.

reach42 posted:

I mean, I'm definitely getting 19 because the last one I've owned on PC is 2014. I just feel bad seeing them crunch when the yearly model doesn't even seem to make that much sense for the series.

It’d be nice to see them go back to the model of major revisions being released as full games while seasonal updates are released as expansions, but my guess is that they just can’t afford to give up the yearly revenue influx of $50 purchases. Honestly I’d be perfectly happy to pay $5-10 a month for a constantly-updated subscription version of FM, but I bet a lot of people wouldn’t.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

reach42 posted:

Judging by the livestreams this weekend, it seems like they're crunching really hard. That really sucks for them when you consider the biggest change this year has been: Purple. It's almost like the yearly release cycle for sports games is a dumb & bad idea.

I kinda think that the biggest change is either the tactics or training changes, the purple UI is just the most visible one.

The thing with FM is that ideally, you have The Game (the match engine and management sim which stays roughly the same from year to year) and The Database (which is updated to reflect reality). The yearly release cycle in sports games is about the database, mostly - there are not always enough things to change in the underlying game to merit a new release, but it's a new season so release what you have because people want to play with the new rules/rosters/etc.

Now that we can patch things without sending out fifty million floppy disks, this could be fixed with something like a Paradox DLC model: one base release that was patched on an ongoing basis plus, say, two database update DLC per year - but on the other hand that might make them less money or make support and ongoing development a complicated exponential nightmare because of varied purchase patterns among users?

Weedle posted:

This will be the first one I’ve bought on PC so I can finally play it surreptitiously in a window at work, as God intended.

Remoting into your home machine from work? Clever.

quote:

It’d be nice to see them go back to the model of major revisions being released as full games while seasonal updates are released as expansions, but my guess is that they just can’t afford to give up the yearly revenue influx of $50 purchases. Honestly I’d be perfectly happy to pay $5-10 a month for a constantly-updated subscription version of FM, but I bet a lot of people wouldn’t.

When did they do this? I know they had like CM3, then 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, then CM4, but I remember all five of those being standalone releases?

(and oh yeah there would be PITCHFORKS if they tried to turn FM into a monthly subscription, people are angry enough now when it's basically an annual one).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2018

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Games as a service is only getting bigger. I haven't bought FIFA for a decade but thanks to origin access I have 19. A £10 sub that included other sega games would probably grab a ton of maybe players.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

When did they do this? I know they had like CM3, then 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, then CM4, but I remember all five of those being standalone releases?

I thought that back in the ‘90s they released some seasonal updates as expansions rather than standalone games, but I could just be misunderstanding what I’ve read on the Internet. I did not play Championship Manager at the time, as I was a small child and my main gaming interests regarded LEGO and monster trucks.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
They were stand alone games but priced as updates pretty much. Same way throne of bhaal was technically a stand alone game but priced as an update to baldurs gate 2.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Isn't the match engine now a horrifying black box of systems on systems that nobody fully understands? The game, or at least the ME, needs to start from something close to zero but that would probably mean a massive undertaking and/or skipping a year, which is a risk SI are probably unwilling or unable to take, especially when the game sells perfectly well as-is. 99% of players won't scrutinise it the way we do in this thread.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Weedle posted:

The problem with FM is that changes are often cosmetic at best and a regression in terms of actual functionality at worse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Training is a massive change.

Tactics have taken a big step forward.

This is the full upgrade where FM18 was essentially a lazy teaser.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Pretty sure the same thing was said for the last 2 FMs. Then they came out, people played around with the ME and found out that it's basically the same thing, just more rng.

Also, I've looked at the training - it seems to be working on the whole "Let's make everything more unnecessarily complicated, will fool people into thinking that we actually added stuff this year".

That being said, FM18 was definitely just a new coat of paint on FM17, with some minor changes that for the most part were not good for the series. IF FM19 is infact a good improvement on FM18, then I might (just might) get it, but so far everywhere I've looked (basically only the FM fan-forums), everyone has said it's nothing good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
edited for legal reasons haha

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

I kinda think that the biggest change is either the tactics or training changes, the purple UI is just the most visible one.

The thing with FM is that ideally, you have The Game (the match engine and management sim which stays roughly the same from year to year) and The Database (which is updated to reflect reality). The yearly release cycle in sports games is about the database, mostly - there are not always enough things to change in the underlying game to merit a new release, but it's a new season so release what you have because people want to play with the new rules/rosters/etc.

Now that we can patch things without sending out fifty million floppy disks, this could be fixed with something like a Paradox DLC model: one base release that was patched on an ongoing basis plus, say, two database update DLC per year - but on the other hand that might make them less money or make support and ongoing development a complicated exponential nightmare because of varied purchase patterns among users?

man i absolutely loving love this idea

i'd happily pay 40 bucks for a base game and then 10 or 15 or 20 for an annual or semi annual database update plus a yearly DLC or something

I also think they're seriously missing out in not having online matchmaking and an "ultimate team" mode. people lose their minds for that poo poo on FIFA and that isn't even a game that is supposed to be obsessed with numbers.

OOTP baseball was threatening to do an ultimate team thing this year but i think that might've fizzled

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
FML was their online attempt btw. Not sure how many goons tried it, it released back in 2009, and was sort of semi-active.

I actually enjoyed it a lot, but the issues with it were too many and too hard to overcome, and they shut it down.

I wish my old laptop hadn't crashed with pics of it, and I never saved them to steam. I still remember running a 433 (all AMs), and running Aguero in the middle. Top of the league easy. Then sold him for 3x 5* potential youth to another guy in a different league. I stopped playing I think end of 2010(ish) as I went off for Winter break in uni. When I came back a large chunk of the population had left since SI wasn't able to bring in any new players for long, the game was shut down mid 2011 I believe.

They made some highly unpopular decisions, the major one being they actually reset servers like 1+ year into it, so those of us who had been paying the sub since the start felt rightly screwed over. This was their attempt to try and bring in new blood, but ofc it failed, and they also started to lose a lot of the old player-base. They also were super late to implementing basic things we wanted (e.g. youth academies, more things to use skills on, better scouting etc.)

JadaX fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 16, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

JadaX posted:

IF FM19 is infact a good improvement on FM18, then I might (just might) get it, but so far everywhere I've looked (basically only the FM fan-forums), everyone has said it's nothing good.

How are they able to play it already? Is there a private beta in advance of the public one?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Weedle posted:

How are they able to play it already? Is there a private beta in advance of the public one?

Tbh I assume it's just from the stuff SI has released. I do know there are quite a few people who actually already have the game running (people who scout players for SI, but don't work for SI etc.) There are a few of them on these forums.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Weedle posted:

There are various private betas, yeah. Testers, researchers, popular streamers etc. all get the game earlier.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that youtube dude who sims stuff like 60 years in the future has been making fm19 videos already

i had to stop watching them when he’d get way into the future and i realised hey I’ll be dead then lmao

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

JadaX posted:

FML was their online attempt btw. Not sure how many goons tried it, it released back in 2009, and was sort of semi-active.

I actually enjoyed it a lot, but the issues with it were too many and too hard to overcome, and they shut it down.

I wish my old laptop hadn't crashed with pics of it, and I never saved them to steam. I still remember running a 433 (all AMs), and running Aguero in the middle. Top of the league easy. Then sold him for 3x 5* potential youth to another guy in a different league. I stopped playing I think end of 2010(ish) as I went off for Winter break in uni. When I came back a large chunk of the population had left since SI wasn't able to bring in any new players for long, the game was shut down mid 2011 I believe.

They made some highly unpopular decisions, the major one being they actually reset servers like 1+ year into it, so those of us who had been paying the sub since the start felt rightly screwed over. This was their attempt to try and bring in new blood, but ofc it failed, and they also started to lose a lot of the old player-base. They also were super late to implementing basic things we wanted (e.g. youth academies, more things to use skills on, better scouting etc.)

I played FML. I still hate myself for it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

JadaX posted:

Pretty sure the same thing was said for the last 2 FMs. Then they came out, people played around with the ME and found out that it's basically the same thing, just more rng.

Also, I've looked at the training - it seems to be working on the whole "Let's make everything more unnecessarily complicated, will fool people into thinking that we actually added stuff this year".

It's been said a lot, yeah, but Sass hates everything (and he's a researcher so he's almost certainly got access to the alpha) so I'm prepared to think he's not just blowing smoke up our asses.

I agree that training doesn't necessarily look like it's going to push me off my position of "let the assman handle it" but it's undeniably a big change. If you remember how earlier versions handled it (I think they shifted away from "scheduling pig-in-the-middle sessions" in like 2012 or so? I remember just downloading training schemes because I didn't want to deal with that poo poo) it's a nod in that direction but slightly less insane, much like the new tactic module is a nod towards WIBL/WOBL but slightly less insane.

(also I really like the idea of mentorship groups instead of individual tutoring)

Anyway we'll all see this week once the beta drops, hm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I suppose we will. Personally I’m very excited and I think the new changes look great. I also hope they put more effort into the Switch version this time around and it isn’t riddled with annoying UI bugs.